historicity of Jesus

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 05:17 pm
timberlandko wrote:
The burr under my saddle is any fundamentalist religionist proposition, particularly but not singularly of Christian or Islamic bent, and the inept, inadequate, mob-think proselytization of such propositions and their attendant absurdities endemic not just on this website but throughout damned near any venue the medeival-minded herd can find access to. The activities and rants of the more vocal proponents of such propositions are those propositions' greatest embarrassments. In the long run, that is fortunate.

Gee Timber, tell us how you really feel. Now, how many of those words were demeaning? Hmmm, let me count......now, you ready to actually discuss the topic at hand? And as Doktor S said, it has a lot to do with perception (not an exact quote).

I really would like to know about the site that was in the original post.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 05:18 pm
And I submit again, AM, your self-focussed protestations to the contrary, it is not YOU I "put down", it is the proposition you, and others of like persuasion forward, and the manner in which you and kind present and defend that proposition.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 05:21 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
timberlandko wrote:
The burr under my saddle is any fundamentalist religionist proposition, particularly but not singularly of Christian or Islamic bent, and the inept, inadequate, mob-think proselytization of such propositions and their attendant absurdities endemic not just on this website but throughout damned near any venue the medeival-minded herd can find access to. The activities and rants of the more vocal proponents of such propositions are those propositions' greatest embarrassments. In the long run, that is fortunate.

Gee Timber, tell us how you really feel. Now, how many of those words were demeaning? Hmmm, let me count......now, you ready to actually discuss the topic at hand? And as Doktor S said, it has a lot to do with perception (not an exact quote).

0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 05:24 pm
timberlandko wrote:
And I submit again, AM, your self-focussed protestations to the contrary, it is not YOU I "put down", it is the proposition you, and others of like persuasion forward, and the manner in which you and kind present and defend that proposition.

Like I said, can anyone tell me what the site on the original post was or what it was about?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 05:29 pm
AM - have you read the Wikipedia page on historicity of Jesus?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 05:30 pm
No I haven't ehBeth but I will. Thanx!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 05:33 pm
The external links at the bottom of the page are particularly interesting, IMNSHO.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 05:46 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
Gee Timber, tell us how you really feel.

Neither permission nor invittion is required for that

Quote:
Now, how many of those words were demeaning? Hmmm, let me count

Such of them as refer to fundamentalist religionist propositions and the presentment thereof.

Quote:
......now, you ready to actually discuss the topic at hand? And as Doktor S said, it has a lot to do with perception (not an exact quote).

I am discussing the topic at hand, at this point in the discussion riffing in particular on the absence in this discussion of any objective, forensically valid, academically sound, intellectually honest support for or substantiation of the proposition foundational thereto. To return focus more sharply to the topic titlle, I submit there is no external-to-scripture evidence for the existence of the Jesus postulated in the Bible, no "historicity" to be discussed, and I submit that point has been made and confirmed severally by preceeding posts in this discussion. I note that unable or unwilling to acknowledge the fact no such evidence exists, some have undertaken to remake this discussion into a general defense of Christianity and of some professed Christians' particular points of view.

Quote:

I trust the irony embodied within that querry, given the context and content of the current course of its presenter's interactions here, is not lost on everyone.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 06:02 pm
ehBeth wrote:
The external links at the bottom of the page are particularly interesting, IMNSHO.

Yes they are ehBeth. I'm reading some of them now. Thanx again!
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 06:43 pm
NickFun wrote:
I heard Jesus was an excellent carpenter. Why do we never see coffee tables made by him?

Thinking..thinking...they didn't drink coffee back then

Razz
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 07:01 pm
Coffee was believed by some Christians to be the devil's drink. Pope Vincent III heard this and decided to taste it before he banished it. He enjoyed it so much he baptized it, saying "coffee is so delicious it would be a pity to let the infidels have exclusive use of it."
1000 A.D.: Arab traders bring coffee back to their homeland and cultivate the plant for the first time on plantations. They also began to boil the beans, creating a drink they call "qahwa" (literally, that which prevents sleep).
It's highly unlike jesus (if he existed in any fashion was not a carpenter, more likely he might have bean a stone mason, there where no carpenters in that region because there was very little wood to work with.
0 Replies

Iasion

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 07:05 pm
Greetings,

real life wrote:
Matthew, John, Peter and James were all eyewitnesses who wrote of Jesus. Who are you saying copied from who?

Not according to modern NT scholars.

G.Mark was first - not by an eye-witness, but probably written in Rome - this book shows no local knowledge of Palestine, but has several errors.

G.Matthew copied from G.Mark - not an eye-witness.

The letters of John are pseudo-graphs - not written by John.

Similarly the letters of Peter and James are pseudo-graphs - not written by Peter or James.

In fact, it is the consensus of modern NT scholars that NOT ONE SINGLE book of the NT was written by anyone who met any historical Jesus.

Iasion
0 Replies

Iasion

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 07:18 pm
Greetings all,

Responding to Jespah -

JOSEPHUS (c.96CE)

The famous Testamonium Flavianum in the Antiquities of the Jews is considered probably the best evidence for Jesus, yet it has some serious problems :
* the T.F. as it stands uses clearly Christian phrases and names Christ as Messiah, it could not possibly have been written by the Jew Josephus (who remained a Jew and refused to call anyone "messiah" in his book which was partly about how false messiahs kept leading Israel astray.),
* The T.F. comes in several versions of various ages,
* The T.F. was not mentioned by any of the early CHurch fathers were reviewed Josephus. Origen even says Josephus does NOT call Jesus the Messiah, showing the passage was not present in that earlier era.
* The T.F. first showed up in manuscripts of Eusebius, and was still absent from some manuscripts as late as 8th century.
* (The other tiny passage in Josephus is probably a later interpolation.)
An analysis of Josephus can be found here:
http://www.humanists.net/jesuspuzzle/supp10.htm

(The 2nd reference may be to ANOTHER Jesus.)

In short - this passage is possibly a total forgery (or at best a corrupt form of a lost original.)
But, yes,
it COULD just be actual evidence for Jesus - late, corrupt, controversial but just POSSIBLY real historical evidence.

SUETONIUS (c.115CE)

Roughly 80-90 years after the alleged Gospel events, (about 75 years after the war) Suetonius refers to a "Chrestus" who stirred the Jews to trouble in Rome during Claudius' time, but:
* this "Chrestus" is a Greek name (from "useful"), and is also a mystic name for an initiate, it is not the same as "Christos"
* this Chrestus was apparently active in Rome, Jesus never was.

So,
this passage is not evidence for Jesus,
it's nothing to do with Jesus,
it's evidence for Christians grasping at straws.
http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/suetonius.html

TACITUS (c.112CE)

Roughly 80 years after the alleged events (and 40 years after the war) Tacitus allegedly wrote a (now) famous passage about "Christ" - this passage has several problems however:
* Tacitus uses the term "procurator", used in his later times, but not correct for the actual period, when "prefect" was used.
* Tacitus names the person as "Christ", when Roman records could not possibly have used this name (it would have been "Jesus, son of Joseph" or similar.)
* Tacitus accepts the recent advent of Christianity, which was against Roman practice (to only allow ancient and accepted cults and religions.)
* This passage is paraphrased by Sulpicius Severus in the 5th century without attributing it to Tacitus, and may have been inserted back into Tacitus from this work.

This evidence speaks AGAINST it being based on any Roman records -
but
merely a few details which Tacitus gathered from Christian stories circulating in his time (c.f. Pliny.)
So,
this passage is NOT evidence for Jesus,
it's just evidence for 2nd century Christian stories about Jesus.
http://oll.libertyfund.org/ToC/0067.php

CASSIUS DIO

Did NOT mention Jesus at all.

Responding to Intrepid :

PLINY the Younger (c.112CE)

About 80 years after the alleged events, (and over 40 years after the war) Pliny referred to Christians who worshipped a "Christ" as a god, but there is no reference to a historical Jesus or Gospel events.

So,
Pliny is not evidence for a historical Jesus of Nazareth,
just evidence for 2nd century Christians who worshipped a Christ.
http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/pliny.html

THALLUS (date unknown)

We have NO certain evidence when Thallus lived or wrote, there are NONE of Thallus' works extant.
What we DO have is a 9th century reference by George Syncellus who quotes the 3rd century Julianus Africanus, who, speaking of the darkness at the crucifixion, wrote: "Thallus calls this darkness an eclipse".
But,
there is NO evidence Thallus made specific reference to Jesus or the Gospel events at all, as there WAS an eclipse in 29. This suggests he merely referred to a known eclipse, but that LATER Christians MIS-interpreted his comment to mean their darkness. (Also note the supposed reference to Thallus in Eusebius is a false reading.)

Richard Carrier the historian has a good page on Thallus:
http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/richard_carrier/thallus.html

So,
Thallus is no evidence for Jesus at all,
merely evidence for Christian wishful thinking.

PHLEGON (c.140)

Phlegon wrote during the 140s - his works are lost. Later, Origen, Eusebius, and Julianus Africanus (as quoted by George Syncellus) refer to him, but quote differently his reference to an eclipse. There is no evidence Phlegon actually said anything about Gospel events, he was merely talking about an eclipse (they DO happen) which LATER Christians argued was the "darkness" in their stories.

So,
Phlegon is no evidence for Jesus at all -
merely evidence for Christian wishful thinking.

MARA BAR SERAPION (date unknown)

A fragment which includes -
"... What advantage did the Jews gain from executing their wise King?",
in the context of ancient leaders like Socrates.
It is NOT at all clear WHEN this manuscript was written, nor exactly who it is referring too, but there is no evidence it is Jesus.

In short,
* there are no Roman recods of Jesus,
* there is no contemporary evidence for Jesus,
* the claimed evidence is very weak - late, forged, suspect or not about Jesus at all.
* the T.F. is probably the best "evidence", but it is at best corrupt, at worst forged.

These lists of "evidences" for Jesus are endlessly repeated on the internet, but few people seem to check the facts.

None of them stand up to scrutiny as contemporary historical references to Jesus.

Iasion
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 09:41 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Feeling put upon, and without argument of substance, one of our number has cried out to the herd for reinforcements. We're in for a tedious bout of preaching, proselytizing, and parroting, by all appearances - one might think the member responsible for the cattle call would have learned from prior experience the silliness of such a dishonest ploy.

Ya gotta appreciate the humor.

A few religious folks show up in a Religion forum, and timber is worried that someone might start a discussion about religion. Laughing
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 09:48 pm
real life wrote:
timberlandko wrote:
Feeling put upon, and without argument of substance, one of our number has cried out to the herd for reinforcements. We're in for a tedious bout of preaching, proselytizing, and parroting, by all appearances - one might think the member responsible for the cattle call would have learned from prior experience the silliness of such a dishonest ploy.

A few religious folks show up in a Religion forum, and timber is worried that someone might start a discussion about religion. Laughing

I guess he just can't stay away. It's like a car wreck and everybody has to show up and get in the way without helping the victims.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 10:05 pm
Iasion wrote:
Greetings,

real life wrote:
Matthew, John, Peter and James were all eyewitnesses who wrote of Jesus. Who are you saying copied from who?

G.Mark was first - not by an eye-witness, but probably written in Rome - this book shows no local knowledge of Palestine, but has several errors.

Similarly the letters of Peter and James are pseudo-graphs - not written by Peter or James.

In fact, it is the consensus of modern NT scholars that NOT ONE SINGLE book of the NT was written by anyone who met any historical Jesus.

Iasion

A more accurate statement is, that it is the learned opinion of SOME modern NT scholars.

I do respect their opinion and their right to hold it.

However, if you would like to post some of YOUR reasons for taking this position (other than 'I believe it because lots of modern scholars believe it'), I would be glad to see it.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 10:13 pm
While it is true that most of the New Testament was written after the crusifixtion of Christ, it does not necessarily follow that it was not written by contemporaries.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 10:26 pm
hi Setanta,

Getting back for a moment to the question of Roman records, specifically of Jesus' execution:

Pilate questioned Jesus on several occasions that night and each time told the Jewish leaders that he had no basis on which to condemn Him.

It would seem that Pilate therefore would have no reason to have recorded passing the sentence of death upon Him, (since he did not do so), would he?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 11:17 pm
real life wrote:
timberlandko wrote:

You never tire of straw men, do you? Its good to know some things can be relied upon.

real life wrote:
Iasion wrote:
Greetings,

real life wrote:

Iasion

A more accurate statement is, that it is the learned opinion of SOME modern NT scholars.

No, while correct in essence, that answer would be extremely misleading. The overwhelming majority consensus of legitimate, objective, academically credentialled, interested, qualified scholars WHO ARE NOT CHRISTIAN APLOGISTS is that the Gospels of the NT as it exists today are not the products of eyewitnesses to the events recounted therein. To be fair, nobody much disputes that Paul's first-person accounts largely are authentic first-person accounts, and legitimately may ingreat part be sourced as per their attribution to Paul, but Paul does not claim to be an eyewitness to the events the Gospels purport to chronicle.

Quote:
I do respect their opinion and their right to hold it.

The right to hold and espouse an opinion is all but absolute. Any opinion, however, merits only so much respect as it brings upon itself. A ridiculous, absurd, ill-founded opinion is a ridiculous, absurd, ill-founded opinion no matter by whom it may be held or espoused. Nothing should prevent anyone from endorsing a ridiculous, absurd, ill-founded opinion if that be their preference, and nothing should shield that ridiculous, absurd, ill-founded proposition from such criticism, dismissal, rejection, and/or scorn it merits in its own right and by its own presents.

Hosea 8:7 Job 4:8 Mat. 7:16

Quote:
However, if you would like to post some of YOUR reasons for taking this position (other than 'I believe it because lots of modern scholars believe it'), I would be glad to see it.

Why should we expect this time might be different from the last time?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 11:33 pm
timberlandko wrote:

real life wrote:
Iasion wrote:
Greetings,

real life wrote:

Iasion

No, while correct in essence, that answer would be extremely misleading. The overwhelming majority consensus of legitimate, objective, academically credentialled, interested, qualified scholars WHO ARE NOT CHRISTIAN APLOGISTS is that the Gospels of the NT as it exists today are not the products of eyewitnesses to the events recounted therein.........Why should we expect this time might be different from the last time?

Why indeed? Especially when you use such circular reasoning to disqualify all who disagree with you.

In timber's world , one is only legitimate if one does not believe the Bible.

Just as you previously stated, (but would not defend) the idea that Josephus could not be used when discussing the Jewish canon because he was a Jew and would have knowledge of and respect for the OT.

Now you want to assert similarly that any scholar who believes the Bible is not qualified blah blah blah............

The sum of your circular argument is:

One cannot be a legitimate scholar is he believes the Bible. Why? Because believing the Bible is not a position held by legitimate scholars.

Or to put it in timberspeak: 'The overwhelming majority of scholars who agree with me, agree with me.'
0 Replies