Is Chivalry Really Dead? And Why?

sozobe

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 01:33 pm
Like?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 01:56 pm
I made a distinction pages ago about helping people who need help and ascribing roles of weakness to one gender (get thee to the inner sidewalk - here, l'll move you over there), thus my husband helped me out of the car at night when my vision is problematic, and didn't run around to open the door in the daytime, when my vision is fine. It was never a problem, he would never have put up with opening the passenger door to let me out routinely for decades. When a package is very heavy, I'm glad to have help from a stronger male. Or else I'll drag out the appliance dolly...

It's the ascribed role thing that I lived through in the fifties that I don't like... the waiting to get out of the car, the position on a sidewalk. Y'all are free to like it.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 02:54 pm
Exactly.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 03:17 pm
Atavistic wrote:
Merry Andrew wrote:
Equally self-serving is any male's contention that he does these things because he is stronger and therefore a woman's protector. What pitiful rot. .

Are you implying that the man is not stronger?

No, I'm saying that physical strength has absolutely nothing to do with it. We do certain things because we have been conditioned to do them, because it has long been considered appropriate behavior.

And, btw, what is it with you and the "man is stronger" bit? In today's society this is a meaningless bit of schoolyard and playground bragadoccio.
0 Replies

Atavistic

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 06:49 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:

In today's society this is a meaningless bit of schoolyard and playground bragadoccio.

I happen to honor the differences between men and women. It's the yin and the yang. Both are equally valuable but for different purposes. I refuse to follow along with this obsessive quest for a gender-neutral society where everyone is the same. You can build your filthy world without me.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 09:36 am
Atavistic wrote:
Merry Andrew wrote:

In today's society this is a meaningless bit of schoolyard and playground bragadoccio.

I happen to honor the differences between men and women. It's the yin and the yang. Both are equally valuable but for different purposes. I refuse to follow along with this obsessive quest for a gender-neutral society where everyone is the same. You can build your filthy world without me.

What would you define as a womans purpose?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 11:37 pm
Atavistic: Why do you think we want to be 'the same', as you put it? We like the differences, but don't like the patronizations. Like 'the little woman' ... or 'don't worry your pretty little head about that'... kind of stuff.... lol... I must admit, it's been a long while since I've been the recipient of statements like that but it's mainly thanks to women in general, Affirmative Action, NOW, and other movements that it's stopped. Remember, ladies, when wolf-whistles were the norm? OMG... that takes me back!

I love men - most women do, actually. We celebrate the differences. It doesn't mean, however, that both aren't equal. That's the sameness we want. Celebrate the differences but be equal.

Is that possible in your world?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 12:35 pm
Well, I think this little article seems appropriate to be added to this thread. Anyone care to comment? :wink:

Quote:
Church fires teacher for being woman

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

WATERTOWN, N.Y. -- The minister of a church that dismissed a female Sunday School teacher after adopting what it called a literal interpretation of the Bible says a woman can perform any job - outside of the church.

The First Baptist Church dismissed Mary Lambert on Aug. 9 with a letter explaining that the church had adopted an interpretation that prohibits women from teaching men. She had taught there for 54 years.

The letter quoted the first epistle to Timothy: "I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent."

The Rev. Timothy LaBouf, who also serves on the Watertown City Council, issued a statement saying his stance against women teaching men in Sunday school would not affect his decisions as a city leader in Watertown, where all five members of the council are men but the city manager who runs the city's day-to-day operations is a woman.

"I believe that a woman can perform any job and fulfill any responsibility that she desires to" outside of the church, LaBouf wrote Saturday.

Mayor Jeffrey Graham, however, was bothered by the reasons given Lambert's dismissal.

"If what's said in that letter reflects the councilman's views, those are disturbing remarks in this day and age," Graham said. "Maybe they wouldn't have been disturbing 500 years ago, but they are now."

Lambert has publicly criticized the decision, but the church did not publicly address the matter until Saturday, a day after its board met.

In a statement, the board said other issues were behind Lambert's dismissal, but it did not say what they were.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 03:43 pm
Wow... what's the date on that? Doesn't really surprise me, sadly. How limiting. And limited.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 03:46 pm
I thought of this thread when I saw that. The, er, atavism, is not so far away.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 04:43 pm
Mame wrote:
Wow... what's the date on that? Doesn't really surprise me, sadly. How limiting. And limited.

Mame, it's Aug 21, 2006.

source
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 04:50 pm
It's time for a new type of Chivalry!

Where women protect the men... j/k Smile

But making a new type of Chivalry is a cool idea ain't it?

Quote:
Well, I think this little article seems appropriate to be added to this thread. Anyone care to comment?

Hmm, the bad side of the old chivalry.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2011 05:26 pm
@ehBeth,
Rereading this thread - obviously it is me doing any of the thumbs up, and I tried to be spare.

It's odd, I was only searching in google search for what Miss Hanbury's class was called (my manners teacher). By now you all know, fail although I think those weren't graded.

I've only caught on to the thread at the middle and have not reread the beginning or denouement yet.

EhBeth's is a post where an a2ker agreed with me. I also thumbed up heeven, who makes a good case.

ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2011 05:35 pm
@ossobuco,
Plus now I see Atavistic as a guy who took his newbie name from one of my posts.
Chuckle.
0 Replies