What sex is your brain? Take this Sex I.D test.

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 01:31 pm
What sex is your brain?

This test from the BBC purports to tell you how feminine or masculine your brain is. It's a fairly long test, but some of the parts are very interesting. Give it a try and post your results. I will post mine as soon as I find a ruler for the part of the test that needs it.

littlek

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 01:59 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I am right at the average female score (50). I had a great score on matching the eyes with the moods which is interesting. My self-described attributes tended to be more male, but the one's that were more objective seemed to be more female.

Millimeters! I'm surprised I have a ruler with millimeters.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 02:03 pm
@littlek,
Don't almost all rulers have millimeters?

I'm surprised I haven't noticed that I haven't had a ruler in the last decade. I'll have to use a tape measure.
littlek

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 02:10 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Maaaaybe. I know all rulers have centimeters. I guess they probably have MMs too, then, eh?
shewolfnm

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 02:15 pm
I must be A Sexual

too long of a test

I gave up

Laughing
Izzie

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 02:37 pm
@shewolfnm,
Proved I was blonde Very Happy

sorry.... being serious....

there were some cute guys there... (sheesh it's been a long time!)

OK... I'm a 50-er too.... typical female.

Would like to know what men answered regarding the "map" question tho Wink
cyphercat

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 03:02 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Hmm... I don't know quite what to make of my results--but while thinking them over I noticed this other test in the sidebar that I thought was fun, distinguishing between real and fake smiles--it's interesting: http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/mind/surveys/smiles/

Anyway...I got twelve out of twelve on the rotating an object part! Smile

It's funny, though, when you read their explanation of the results--the average scores on a lot of the sections look as though they don't really support the whole concept *all* that well, did you notice that? Like the "eyes" section--men and women score exactly the same... And the words part-- I don't get their explanation of the scores on that part (female brain being stupid, prolly).

And the spot-the-difference test, I don't think their explanation of the scores for that makes sense at all--

Quote:
Your score: 57%
Average score for men: 39%
Average score for women: 46%

but then it says:

Quote:
If you scored between 0 - 33%: You may have more of a male brain.

If you scored between 34 - 66%: You may have a balanced female-male brain.

If you scored between 67 - 100%: Those with a female-type brain generally score in this range.
But the average scores don't say that at all, they just said the average woman's score is 46%, not 67-100! And the mins average isn't in the range it's s'posed to be either... Laughing I guess everyone has a balanced female-male brain, according to that... Shockingly, I think this may not be all that scientific!! *gasp*
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 03:04 pm
@Izzie,
I also scored 50 - average female.

I'm beginning to smell a rat here Smile

Interesting exercise though.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 03:06 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Uh oh. I fear finding out I'm a robot..

Off to take the test. (I have a scale with mms on it.. in with my drafting crappo. Drafting crappo.. wonder if that is a feminine-made semi-aspersion.)
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 03:30 pm
@Foxfyre,
I think it only has 100 female, 50 female, 0, 50 male and 100 male. It's interesting to me mainly in that it can even make that distinction fairly reliably.

But if you are strong on both of what they consider male and female types of thinking I think you'll get an ambiguous response. I got pretty much all of them "right" (except for the eyes and the moved shapes where I missed some) and scored a 0. I had high empathize and systemising scores and registered on the upper end on both sides of the brain so it labeled me a 0.
dagmaraka

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 03:32 pm
@Foxfyre,
i also scored 50 - female.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 03:55 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I scored strong on the empathy stuff too--below average on the spatial/object tests partly because I am so left brained and possibly because of severe astigmatism. I got 100% on the movable objects test but that may have more to do with intentional training to see and remember detail than natural ability.

As an avocation I do temperament typing, mostly in the context of conflict management, and sometimes for fun. I find that tests designed so that on average every question will be answered 50% by 1/2 of the population and 50% by the othe half and that present no identifiable moral value or challenge will produce the most accurate results. Change those questions to ones that ask the subject to make a value judgment or describe their own ability to do something, and the results usually come out quite differently.

That kind of stuff was at a minimum in the test process here, but it was there; i.e. reading maps, etc. Such questions require a person to make a value judgment re their ability or what they are likely to do and our perceptions of such things are not always reliable.

Evenso, I was happy to find out that I am a girl after all. Smile
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 04:10 pm
@Foxfyre,
I agree with you, the worst part of the test was when it asked things like "are you able to make decisions without being influenced by the feelings of others" and asked you if you "strongly agree", "strongly disagree" and various points in between.

They were using that question as an empathy test, but empathy doesn't mean you have to be influenced by what you are able to perceive.

In any case, those "strongly agree" to "strongly disagree" quizzes are pretty flawed in the wide range of interpretation they allow.
hingehead

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 04:19 pm
50 Male

I did bad on the moved shapes (6 right no wrong - no wonder I can never find my car keys) but got 100% on the eyes (Your result suggests you are a good empathiser, sensitive to other people's emotions. Women generally fall into this category.) which contradicts completely my empathy score: Your empathy score is: 6 out of 20

100% on the rotated 3d shapes (Are you an engineer or do you have a science background? ) . And my finger ratio is .92 (that's what happens when you play bass...)

What was weird was the ultimatum. They had all that guff about cultural and gender differences and then the results of their testing showed that most people went for about 50/50 regardless of gender.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 04:29 pm
@hingehead,
I've got about eight things wrong with my eyes and the first question was a push - A female, I'm good at spatial matters, if only by years of training, but I'm not the quickest kid on the block, slow to get my footing, or just my looking. Once I get it, I'm good at it. Came out of it with 16/20 but tired. 6 out of whatever, none wrong, on the next, like Hinge, but no patience for studying the distribution. Almost the patience, but not quite.
I'll try it again in a more geared up mood/mode, if they'll let me.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 04:44 pm
It was a strange little test.
I'm a 0

I got a 12 out of 20 on the angles.
(I was eating my salad at the same time though, and I have a short attention span) So female there.

50% on spot the difference.
Missed some but got none wrong.

Left thumb on top, of course.

only 8 out of 20 on empathy.
It is worded oddly.

6 out of 20 on systemising.
whatever...I can still read a map.

5 out of 10 on eyes

.98 on fingers, but I think this is more about where you measure from and if you can figure out mm's.

More masuline faces. Duh.
Izzie, I'm wondering if we got the same faces.
I didn't see any my type.

12 out of 12 on 3-d shapes.
Hey, cypher, I think it's cause we are artsy folk. Did you put your left thumb on top too?

17 words total. but they don't even check them.

And I don't get the ultimatum. If you have money to split, why would you ask for more than half?
DrewDad

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 04:49 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Yeah. On self-reporting I scored 5 out of 20 for empathy.

Then I got 8 of 10 right in scoring the eyes....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 04:53 pm
@caribou,
Well, all that makes me want to try again, caribou. If not artsy, I'm fartsy... but also very plan and somewhat 3d oriented, spatial sequence being a key kick, if not all up to date re computer whiz - but I'm semi math stupid, my interest may be part spatial and part metaphoric. Some of my misses on the first bit were being timed out.

So, extrapolating, I'd guess my brain functions bounce around. We'll see, if they let me in again. I suppose I can sign up on another email.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 04:58 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

Maaaaybe. I know all rulers have centimeters. I guess they probably have MMs too, then, eh?

No, ordinary old US american rulers are divided into 1/16th inch tidbits (if not eighths).
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 04:58 pm
@caribou,
Quote:
And I don't get the ultimatum. If you have money to split, why would you ask for more than half?

I think they worded the question wrong - it's basic game theory. They should have said that your object was to get as much of the 50 as possible. Therefore you have to use your judgement about the point where the other person will say "Screw you - if you're only offering me 'X' I'm gonna make sure neither of us get anything."