Is Chivalry Really Dead? And Why?

ossobuco

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 09:31 pm
Welllll, maybe I am arguing with MA. Opening a car door for the seated woman who is waiting to be helped out of the car is a chivalric trait.

If y'all think it's obsolete (assuming there isn't need or you aren't all decked out in ball gown and tux), then I am arguing for naught. Which is good.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 09:33 pm
Of course if there was a need to be helped out of the car, I would expect the man would do his thing and help us out. Hell, I'd do that in a heartbeat, it being a man or woman.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 09:45 pm
I am just remembering this professor fellow, whom I mentioned before, moving me physically across the sidewalk, gently of course, so that I was in the right place. Safe, you know, from the street. Which is why we had our discussion.

He was head of a psychoanalytic institute. I was, y'know, me. Much the same then as now, but typing less.

I'll leave this thread with a gentle "watch your asses".
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 09:49 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
.....saying "Good morning" to you.

Yeah? Who sez? How do you know it's good? You trying to cause trouble here, bub?

What a sh*t-disturber! Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 09:56 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I am just remembering this professor fellow, whom I mentioned before, moving me physically across the sidewalk, gently of course, so that I was in the right place. Safe, you know, from the street. Which is why we had our discussion.

He was head of a psychoanalytic institute. I was, y'know, me. Much the same then as now, but typing less.

I'll leave this thread with a gentle "watch your asses".

Yeah, that guy must have been a pain in the ass. I don't like being moved physically, unless of course.....um...never mind Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 09:59 pm
Reyn wrote:
Merry Andrew wrote:
.....saying "Good morning" to you.

Yeah? Who sez? How do you know it's good? You trying to cause trouble here, bub?

What a sh*t-disturber! Laughing

Laughing You know what really ticks me off is when you say "good morning" to someone and they say "what's so good about it!"

Well excuse the hell out of me Confused
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 10:17 pm
Montana, I started another thread that's somewhat related to yours called, "".

Wasn't sure whether or not to include it in yours.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 10:19 pm
Sure, why not? Include away and give me the link to that thread of yours :-D
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 10:21 pm
So, real men don't cry anymore?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 11:05 pm
Thanks, buddy :-D
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 11:14 pm
Speaking about who pays, I was raised that if someone asked you out, be it a gentleman, a neighbour, or your boss, they're paying. If someone says, "Let's get together for dinner some time", that's not a date or an invitation, that's a suggestion for a friendly meal, and we go dutch or argue about the bill when it arrives.

And I would feel completely weird if a guy expected me to sit and wait for him to open the door. What a waste of time.

On the other hand, my husband frequently drops us women off outside the restaurant/theatre/whatever in the pouring rain... we sure do appreciate that.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 11:18 pm
Mame wrote:
Speaking about who pays, I was raised that if someone asked you out, be it a gentleman, a neighbour, or your boss, they're paying. If someone says, "Let's get together for dinner some time", that's not a date or an invitation, that's a suggestion for a friendly meal, and we go dutch or argue about the bill when it arrives.

And I would feel completely weird if a guy expected me to sit and wait for him to open the door. What a waste of time.

On the other hand, my husband frequently drops us women off outside the restaurant/theatre/whatever in the pouring rain... we sure do appreciate that.

Same here on the "who pays" thing.

Nice husband ;-)

I don't have one of those Sad
0 Replies

Atavistic

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 09:21 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
For almost 4 decades people have been sued who tried to make the tiniest distinction between men and women, private clubs for men have been picketed, and now you ask why chivalry is dead.

My sentiments exactly. Very Happy
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 08:28 am
Montana wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
For almost 4 decades people have been sued who tried to make the tiniest distinction between men and women, private clubs for men have been picketed, and now you ask why chivalry is dead.

I had nothing to do with that, so don't take it out on me Razz

I'm not. You started a thread in which you asked a question. I posted in it on topic. Was I not supposed to?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 11:25 am
It's all in the tone, Brandon ;-)
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 11:42 am
I don't know what private mens clubs have to do with chivalry. You implying that if women had left men alone they'd still be chivalrous?! LOL... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Of course, I don't believe men in their clubs should have been bothered in the first place - why shouldn't they have their own hang out? Allt hat equality stuff went a little too far - there IS a difference between the sexes, we all know it, so why not allow it? Would women really want men listening in to their conversations? I think not.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 11:52 am
Mame wrote:
I don't know what private mens clubs have to do with chivalry. You implying that if women had left men alone they'd still be chivalrous?! LOL... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Of course, I don't believe men in their clubs should have been bothered in the first place - why shouldn't they have their own hang out? Allt hat equality stuff went a little too far - there IS a difference between the sexes, we all know it, so why not allow it? Would women really want men listening in to their conversations? I think not.

I'm referring to the systematic attempt for decades to force people to behave as though the sexes were identical, e.g. suing to forbid ladies' nights at bars, etc. If you can't see how this systematic effort to extinguish, or at least minimize, the differences would put a damper on customs based on the differences, then I have no more to say about it.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 12:01 pm
Promise?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 12:07 pm
[/quote]I'm referring to the systematic attempt for decades to force people to behave as though the sexes were identical, e.g. suing to forbid ladies' nights at bars, etc. If you can't see how this systematic effort to extinguish, or at least minimize, the differences would put a damper on customs based on the differences, then I have no more to say about it.[/quote]

Well, I don't see it as a systematic attempt at enforcement of equality, I see it as an an effort to enlighten which we all needed and still do, but as with all movements, the pendulum went from one extreme to other. That kind of motion always causes backlash, and rightly so. I believe, however, that we're at or approaching the mid-zone. Nature will reassert itself and you'll be back to being accepted as a full-blooded male and probably allowed to have your clubs again.

Women don't actually want to be male or hang out with them all the time; we were merely reacting to age-old superiority that had been systematically enforced upon us.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 12:25 pm
Mame wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
I'm referring to the systematic attempt for decades to force people to behave as though the sexes were identical, e.g. suing to forbid ladies' nights at bars, etc. If you can't see how this systematic effort to extinguish, or at least minimize, the differences would put a damper on customs based on the differences, then I have no more to say about it.

Well, I don't see it as a systematic attempt at enforcement of equality, I see it as an an effort to enlighten which we all needed and still do, but as with all movements, the pendulum went from one extreme to other. That kind of motion always causes backlash, and rightly so. I believe, however, that we're at or approaching the mid-zone. Nature will reassert itself and you'll be back to being accepted as a full-blooded male and probably allowed to have your clubs again.

Women don't actually want to be male or hang out with them all the time; we were merely reacting to age-old superiority that had been systematically enforced upon us.

This strikes me as irrelevant to the topic and to my post. The question was what's responsible for the decline in chivalrous behavior, and I have given a reason which I believe is the correct one. If the systematic attempt to suppress recognition of gender based differences isn't a likely candidate, I don't know what would be.
0 Replies