Is abortion really wrong?

material girl

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 04:03 am
Ouch,even vasectomies have been known to not work.

Luckily I seem to repell all men so I have saved a fortune on not having to buy condoms for years.
0 Replies

NWIslander

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 02:12 pm
Oh goody, a nice, juicy abortion discussion! (I'm still fairly new in this forum and am exploring all the different areas I'm interested in.) So, at the risk of being redundant:

I think the problem with this issue is disagreement as to when a tiny bit of protoplasm actually becomes a human being. The pro-lifers believe it is a complete human being with full human rights as of the moment of conception. In the case of those who are opposed to contraception, they believe it even before conception!

Those who are on the other extreme of the spectrum believe that it is just a fetus without any human rights at all up to the moment it is born.

My beliefs are somewhere in the middle, which usually gets everyone mad at me on this subject. I think it's a continuum where a human being becomes one, slowly and gradually, in the course of its mother's pregnancy. No way would I consider a first trimester embryo a "human being."

OTOH, in the last trimester, it is already a baby, admittedly a very small one, but a baby nevertheless. It is often capable of surviving outside of the womb.

So the troubling area is in that second trimester. My inclination is to be pro-choice during that period, but abortions should be discouraged the later it gets, providing the fetus is normal and the mother is not running any serious health risks. Obviously, if the fetus (or baby) has something drastically wrong with it, or the mother's life is in danger, an abortion should be allowed and even encouraged at any stage.

Not an easy question to answer in a few words, although some would like to do so. Not every issue in life lends itself to a simple "right" or "wrong."

OK, how about getting into stem cell research next? Confused
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 02:22 pm
You were quite correct in that being redundant.

It's green mouldy with age as well.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 09:28 pm
NWIslander wrote:
Oh goody, a nice, juicy abortion discussion! (I'm still fairly new in this forum and am exploring all the different areas I'm interested in.) So, at the risk of being redundant:

I think the problem with this issue is disagreement as to when a tiny bit of protoplasm actually becomes a human being. The pro-lifers believe it is a complete human being with full human rights as of the moment of conception. In the case of those who are opposed to contraception, they believe it even before conception!

Those who are on the other extreme of the spectrum believe that it is just a fetus without any human rights at all up to the moment it is born.

My beliefs are somewhere in the middle, which usually gets everyone mad at me on this subject. I think it's a continuum where a human being becomes one, slowly and gradually, in the course of its mother's pregnancy. No way would I consider a first trimester embryo a "human being."

OTOH, in the last trimester, it is already a baby, admittedly a very small one, but a baby nevertheless. It is often capable of surviving outside of the womb.

So the troubling area is in that second trimester. My inclination is to be pro-choice during that period, but abortions should be discouraged the later it gets, providing the fetus is normal and the mother is not running any serious health risks. Obviously, if the fetus (or baby) has something drastically wrong with it, or the mother's life is in danger, an abortion should be allowed and even encouraged at any stage.

Not an easy question to answer in a few words, although some would like to do so. Not every issue in life lends itself to a simple "right" or "wrong."

OK, how about getting into stem cell research next? Confused

Well, first let me say welcome to A2K. It's good that you're here.

Your view is not unusual at all. You seem to believe that the unborn becomes a human being 'sometime' during the pregnancy, neither at conception nor at birth.

Now of course the problem with that is --- WHEN?

The nature of law, whether it is a law against, or for abortion is that it must draw a firm line. 'At x point, abortion is/is not legal.'

So the question for folks like you (and you are in the vast majority, not being sure exactly when a human life has begun) is what to do?

Do you set the date too late and probably insure that you are allowing human beings to be exterminated? But how 'early' is too early?

My proposition for the folks like you in the middle is that the benefit of the doubt should be given to life. Much better to err (if err we must) on the side of caution, than on the side of reckless disregard.

When a fireman comes upon a fire, the first priority is to act as though there may be human life at stake, and act accordingly. Every precaution, even to the risking of his own life, is made by the rescuer to be sure that any life that MAY be present is preserved.

The unborn has a heartbeat before the end of the 4th week and brainwaves have been measured before the end of the 6th week.

Any fireman coming upon someone with heartbeat and brainwaves would certainly conclude that he had an obligation to save this life if possible.

---------------

Oh and don't worry about being redundant. That's what sites like this survive on. Otherwise, we'd all just go read the archives what someone else said 5 years ago, and say "yep, me too!" Smile
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 03:32 am
NWIslander wrote:

Actually, by definition...it is a fetus until the moment it is born.

That is what a fetus is!

In any case...it really doesn't matter what it is by your standards, by the nut-case standards of the Christian right...or by dictionary definition standards.

Whatever it is...IT IS GROWING INSIDE THE BODY OF A REAL LIVE HUMAN BEING...and that human being should NOT LOSE ANY RIGHTS simply because she is pregnant.

It is a unique situation.

If a pregnant woman chooses to terminate her pregnancy...she should be allowed to do so...and neither you, me, nor the government should make it any of their business.

BUT ESPECIALLY THESE NUT CASES WHO ARE TRYING TO SUCK UP TO THEIR SILLY god...should not be allowed to prevent the woman from having control over her body.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 11:34 am
Was it murder , or a 'post-birth abortion' ?

I would be very interested to hear what our pro-abortion members have to say.

If, as it appears, the sequence of events is:

Woman goes to abortion clinic to get an abortion

Doctor isn't there

She gives birth while waiting

Baby is snuffed by the staff

Is this murder, or just an abortion 'after the fact' ?

After all, she didn't want the baby and was going to abort it. Does the baby have any rights? Did anyone do anything wrong?

I think the answers we'll read are quite predictable, but..........you never know for sure.

from http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14084408/

Quote:
Body Of Fetus Found At Women's Clinic

WTVJ-TV
12:05 a.m. EDT July 29, 2006
HIALEAH, Fla. - Police are conducting an investigation at a Hialeah women's clinic after a fetus' body was found there. Hialeah police returned to the scene Friday evening after receiving a tip in an investigation that started last week. Police said someone called them saying that a woman went to a clinic in the 3600 block of West 16th Avenue and gave birth to a live baby, and that someone allegedly killed it, NBC 6's Sharon Lawson reported.

With a search warrant in hand, police said they searched the clinic and found nothing. On Friday, police said they received a tip from another source, returned to the clinic and found a dead 22-week-old fetus.

"We were able to locate the mother of this child, who is an 18-year-old female. We located her. She, in fact, reiterated that she did come to this clinic to have an abortion, and she gave birth to the baby while waiting for the doctor to arrive. The doctor was not here," said Lt. Ralph Garcia of the Hialeah Police Department.

"I believe that it's premature to state that the baby was born alive. This was a fetus, 22 weeks approximately. The doctor should be held responsible for this. He was supposed to be here. He was not. My client, who is cooperating, did not see this fetus. Right now, we basically don't have a medical examiner stating that the fetus was born alive," said Regina De Moraes-Millan, the clinic owner's attorney.

Authorities have closed the clinic until the investigation is completed. They are waiting for a medical examiner to determine the exact cause of death and to see whether a crime was committed.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 11:39 am
real life wrote:

Doctor isn't there

After all, she didn't want the baby and was going to abort it. Does the baby have any rights? Did anyone do anything wrong?

I think the answers we'll read are quite predictable, but..........you never know for sure.

from http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14084408/

Quote:
Body Of Fetus Found At Women's Clinic

WTVJ-TV
12:05 a.m. EDT July 29, 2006
HIALEAH, Fla. - Police are conducting an investigation at a Hialeah women's clinic after a fetus' body was found there. Hialeah police returned to the scene Friday evening after receiving a tip in an investigation that started last week. Police said someone called them saying that a woman went to a clinic in the 3600 block of West 16th Avenue and gave birth to a live baby, and that someone allegedly killed it, NBC 6's Sharon Lawson reported.

With a search warrant in hand, police said they searched the clinic and found nothing. On Friday, police said they received a tip from another source, returned to the clinic and found a dead 22-week-old fetus.

"We were able to locate the mother of this child, who is an 18-year-old female. We located her. She, in fact, reiterated that she did come to this clinic to have an abortion, and she gave birth to the baby while waiting for the doctor to arrive. The doctor was not here," said Lt. Ralph Garcia of the Hialeah Police Department.

"I believe that it's premature to state that the baby was born alive. This was a fetus, 22 weeks approximately. The doctor should be held responsible for this. He was supposed to be here. He was not. My client, who is cooperating, did not see this fetus. Right now, we basically don't have a medical examiner stating that the fetus was born alive," said Regina De Moraes-Millan, the clinic owner's attorney.

Authorities have closed the clinic until the investigation is completed. They are waiting for a medical examiner to determine the exact cause of death and to see whether a crime was committed.

Sounds like an awful lot of speculation...and not much of substance yet.

No telling what they will find out after the investigation.

However it turns out...it will not change the fact that a woman should not lose control over her own body simply because she is pregnant.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 05:40 pm
real life wrote:

Doctor isn't there

If it happened exactly this way RL, and I was on the jury, I would go for guilty of murder, or at least negligent homicide on the part of the staff who "snuffed" the baby.
I imagine my position surprises you?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 10:50 pm
Eorl wrote:
real life wrote:

Doctor isn't there

If it happened exactly this way RL, and I was on the jury, I would go for guilty of murder, or at least negligent homicide on the part of the staff who "snuffed" the baby.

I don't know if it happened 'exactly' that way. I only know what has been reported so far.

But, who called the police (twice) and why if nothing was amiss? About the only persons who could have known are the woman herself and the staff of the clinic.

Why would an abortion clinic staff member call the police? Infanticide would be one possible explanation. Can you think of any other?

Usually abortion clinic personnel would not involve the police if an abortion is the only thing that took place, right?

Also, why was the body of the child hidden?
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 07:34 am
You could err on the side of caution, or you could go and look at what we know about the fetus' development.

http://www.wprc.org/fetal.phtml

According to this website, I'd say Week Six and before is a good time to say that embryo is not a human being, because it has none of the nervous system that would warrant it having any thought. However, that's a bit vague, but it's a good start.

All I know is that it can't be a human being with a soul from the point of conception, because at that point fertilised eggs can split in half to form two human beings (does that mean the soul is divided into two?) and that two can fuse together to form one human being (does that mean that particular human being has two souls?)

Obviously if you look at this from the point of view of having a soul, it doesn't make sense to say that it is a human being from the point of conception.

Unless you can prove that identical twins have only half a soul and that chimeras have two souls.
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 12:51 pm
The baby was born alive hence should be treated as a live human being, the nurses should and would be placed in front of a court, on what charge? I do not know, probably manslaughter or some sort of medical neglegence charge.

Eorl wrote:
real life wrote:

Doctor isn't there

0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 06:20 pm
Quote:
The True Face of Abortion Opponents
By fubar
Aug 25 2006 - 4:55pm

It will be most interesting to hear the reaction of anti-abortion groups to the FDA's decision yesterday to allow Plan-B "morning after" pills to be sold over the counter (limited to those over-18). The most often cited reason for these groups opposing anything related to abortion (clinics, pills, etc.) is that they are doing it to protect the life of a helpless child. But Plan-B contains doses of the hormone Progestin which prevents the release or fertilization of an egg. In other words it keeps a woman's reproductive system out of the reproductive lottery. Thanks to Science the whole raison d'etre of abortion groups is rendered moot.

No released eggs means no fertilization, no fetus, nothing. So this leaves these groups with three options:

Concede that science may have finally found a way to eliminate abortions, pack up their bags and go home.

Stick their fingers in their ears and go la la la la...

Admit that their objection isn't really to abortion, but to contraception -- or better yet, to people having sex.

Some of them are making a valiant attempt at a fourth option: to change the definition of an 'embryo' (i.e. what they're trying to protect) from a fertilized egg implanted in a woman's womb and undergoing cell division to a plain old fertilized egg, just floating around. The idea is that anything that gets in the way of this whole sperm + egg -> fertilization -> implantation -> cell-division process is tantamount to abortion and therefore qualifies as an object of their ire. But it's a real grasping at straws based on a single sentence in the manufacturer's fine print. Besides the FDA's decision to allow over-the-counter sales has let the cat out of the bag. Now they have to take a position that is consistent with the fact that abortion clinics may very well stop performing abortions altogether because nobody needs them any more.

That takes us back to the three options. I'm not holding my breath for #1 to happen any time soon and they can get away with #2 for only so long before they run out of air. Sooner or later they'll have to admit #3 -- that at the root of their objection is that they just hate it for unmarried people to have sex, that their blood starts boiling whenever they picture their daughter getting jiggy with the neighbor's son -- even if both of them are over eighteen.

That, of course, puts them on the same wavelength as the Taliban and the rest of the Sharia-loving crowd -- and if there's one thing that makes these people angrier than women exercising control over their own bodies, it's being compared to a bunch of Muslims.

So thanks Dr. Science, for driving a nice little wedge between these people and their nasty little judgemental causes and ripping away their thinly-veiled morality facade (oops, did I say veiled?) I don't like abortions either. Nobody does. I wish they could be avoided altogether -- and it looks like they very well may be.

Update: The far bigger impact of Plan-B and other non-abortive solutions is that they essentially render the whole Roe v. Wade debate pointless too. So what that you've got all your Supreme Court justices lined up? Go ahead and outlaw abortion. Nobody will care if they can just walk into the pharmacy and buy a couple of pills. It's like finally getting the courts to outlaw hand-crank starters on cars. Go for it. Have fun. Or not. Whatever.
SOURCE
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 09:25 pm
xingu,

Do you get all your 'news' from liberal blogs?

You might check out something at least a little[/u] more mainstream

Quote:
Limited impact expected for morning-after pill
Experts in reproductive health said they don't expect easier access to the Plan B 'morning-after' pill to have much effect.
By ANDREW BRIDGES
Associated Press

WASHINGTON - Wider but still restricted access to the morning-after pill may not have the dramatic effect on unintended pregnancy and abortion rates touted by some advocates, reproductive health experts say.

Expanded access should spur increased sales of the pills, called Plan B, but probably won't have a major public health impact, they said Friday.

''That doesn't mean zero, but it will be hard to measure because it will be so small,'' said James Trussell, director of the Office of Population Research at Princeton University. ``If you look at the number of acts of unprotected intercourse on one hand, and the use of Plan B on the other, it's like a cork on the ocean.''..............

see full story at http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/living/15365651.htm

So it would seem that your liberal blogger buddy who proclaims that Plan B will put an end to the problem of abortion and unintended pregnancy is blowing smoke up your kilt.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 10:29 pm
Unfortunately, I think real life is right.

Even if the problem is completely gone (which it really isn't), people have too much energy invested in the idea of preventing it to put down the protest signs and go home.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 05:49 am
I don't think it will put an end to abortion but it will greatly reduce it. Remember, there will always be those out there who never get the word or just don't bother.

Quote:
ACOG and PRCH estimate that making EC widely available over-the-counter has the potential to prevent at least half of unintended pregnancies in the US (or about 2 million pregnancies annually) and half of US abortions (or nearly 500,000 abortions per year).

SOURCE

Quote:

Increased use of emergency contraception would reduce the number of unintended pregnancies and abortions.

The Alan Guttmacher Institute estimates that emergency contraception prevented at least 51,000 abortions in 2000, and was responsible for nearly half of the ten percent decline in the abortion rate in the late 1990s.10 Increased availability and use of emergency contraception could reduce the number of unintended pregnancies by half, thereby reducing the number of abortions.11 In a California study, teenage mothers who had an advance supply of emergency contraceptives were one-third as likely to become pregnant during the following six months as mothers who did not have an advance supply.12

SOURCE

Education of the public will help. Women, especially the poor and the young, will need to know about this. If they're kept ignorant then it would be no different if it was not sold at all.

As for liberal blogs, well I have seen to many lies being poured out of the mouths of so called God fearing conservatives trying to promote or defend their political ideology and religious dogma. Anything outside of conservativism is a breath of fresh air.
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 01:21 pm
Now let me tell you a story..........

A young man who had a lot of potential...Only 18 yrs old and at his first yr at a great college , gets his high school sweetheart pregnant....Both only 18 with no way to afford a child....have two options...1. abort the baby and forget about it and keep on the course of life as they know it or 2. have the baby...face the possibiblity of being shunned by many, having to drop out of college and struggling financially the rest of their lives to take care of that unplanned baby....

well let me tell ya how that story went....
They decided to keep the baby, got married ...struggled (yes) but the man finished college .....as did the woman.....the man became a successful nuclear engineer and the woman a nurse....both have been married 25 yrs have 5 kids and never regret not having an abortion...

who are those people....??? MY parents.......they made the choice to keep me and i thank God every day for that......

I have no respect for any person that puts their needs above an innocent childs welfare...That to me is selfish/.....
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 01:45 pm
Isn't having a child you lack the wherewithal to feed and support just as "selfish"?

It worked out for you. Great. It doesn't for a large number of others caught in similar circumstances.

Regardless, your parents at least had a choice. It's really up to the individual to make that very personal, very agonizing decision. Thankfully, it's not up to either you or me to make it for them.
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 01:55 pm
blacksmith wrote
Quote:
Isn't having a child you lack the wherewithal to feed and support just as "selfish"?

All a person has to do is give the baby up for adoption...

blacksmith wrote
Quote:
Regardless, your parents at least had a choice. It's really up to the individual to make that very personal, very agonizing decision. Thankfully, it's not up to either you or me to make it for them.

where is the baby's choice???
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 02:01 pm
Aren't you now being selfish, preferring that a woman bear a child (conceived under whatever circumstance) for 9 months regardless of her wishes, because you find it a more desirable outcome?

And since life is not presumed to begin at conception, only the choice of the man and woman apply.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 02:23 pm
blacksmithn wrote:
And since life is not presumed to begin at conception, only the choice of the man and woman apply.

When does life begin?
0 Replies