Eorl

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 06:22 pm
yeah, we've been there too.
0 Replies

Ethmer

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 08:25 pm
real life wrote:
Ethmer wrote:

"Ethmer, do you think it is the woman's choice to drown a two year old? How are the two situations different to you?"

Yes, it is her choice but she then has to suffer the consequences that society establishes for murder. The difference in the two situations is that one is a separate individual self-sustaining intelligent life whereas the other is not.

Interesting criteria that you are seeking to establish before granting the right of life to a human being:

"Separate individual" -- please define what makes one a separate individual. The unborn has a unique DNA pattern that does not match his/her mother's. His/her body is not part of the mother's, although they are connected. Is he/she a separate individual? If not, why not? How about Siamese twins? They are connected physically -- are they separate individuals?

"Self-sustaining" -- please define what makes one self sustaining. Is a newborn self sustaining? He will die without constant care. In what sense is he self sustaining?

"Intelligent" -- please define what makes one intelligent enough to qualify. Do persons in a coma count as intelligent? What about newborns? How about developmentally disabled? Are these intelligent enough to earn the right to life in your view?

A human being becomes so and earns the right to life at the time it is born. A fetus only has those rights granted by the mother and society.

0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 09:04 pm
Ethmer, just because that is the case in some places now doesn't make it objectively "right".
0 Replies

Ethmer

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 09:30 pm

Eorl wrote:
Ethmer, just because that is the case in some places now doesn't make it objectively "right".

What is objectively "right"?

0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 12:01 am
You imply an objective right exists by dismissing to concept of society granting rights to the foetus that the mother choses to withhold.

How strange that I'm on this side of the argument. It's just that I think the argument must always be: When should a foetus be granted the status of a human being? That you assume the answer is absolute is no better than real life's similar (although opposite) contention.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 08:10 am
Ethmer wrote:
real life wrote:
Ethmer wrote:

"Ethmer, do you think it is the woman's choice to drown a two year old? How are the two situations different to you?"

Yes, it is her choice but she then has to suffer the consequences that society establishes for murder. The difference in the two situations is that one is a separate individual self-sustaining intelligent life whereas the other is not.

Interesting criteria that you are seeking to establish before granting the right of life to a human being:

"Separate individual" -- please define what makes one a separate individual. The unborn has a unique DNA pattern that does not match his/her mother's. His/her body is not part of the mother's, although they are connected. Is he/she a separate individual? If not, why not? How about Siamese twins? They are connected physically -- are they separate individuals?

"Self-sustaining" -- please define what makes one self sustaining. Is a newborn self sustaining? He will die without constant care. In what sense is he self sustaining?

"Intelligent" -- please define what makes one intelligent enough to qualify. Do persons in a coma count as intelligent? What about newborns? How about developmentally disabled? Are these intelligent enough to earn the right to life in your view?

A human being becomes so and earns the right to life at the time it is born. A fetus only has those rights granted by the mother and society.

So are you now saying that it matters not whether an individual is a 'separate individual' or 'self sustaining' or 'intelligent' ? Those seemed to be important criteria to you a moment ago.

-------------------------

And what is the difference between a child 'earning' the right to life at birth (a benchmark presumably set only by society) and 'rights granted by society' that you say the unborn may be granted?

There doesn't seem to be much difference between them; both are at the whim of the politics of the moment.
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 09:06 am
Okay, i think abortion is fine, i understand why ppl think its murder.....

But it isnt for the goverment to decide! i say free choice. If you hate abortion you dont have to get one! But if we outlaw it there will still be black market surgens who could do it, and that is a scary thing to think of.
So i say free choice show stay.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 09:31 am
As was noted several times...

...if men were the ones who got pregnant...

...we would not be having this debate.

A woman should have the right to terminate a pregnancy occurring in her own body...and none of these people nor the government should be able to outlaw such a decision.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 09:42 pm
EpiNirvana wrote:
Okay, i think abortion is fine, i understand why ppl think its murder.....

But it isnt for the goverment to decide! i say free choice. If you hate abortion you dont have to get one! But if we outlaw it there will still be black market surgens who could do it, and that is a scary thing to think of.
So i say free choice show stay.

We have outlawed theft and yet folks steal. Maybe we shouldn't outlaw it. It just makes 'criminals' out of ordinary people exercising their right to get what they can.

Some people even get hurt or killed unnecessarily while stealing, all because society has been shortsighted and made it illegal. Just think of how many we've lost due to this.

If you hate stealing, you don't have to do it. Do you agree?
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 07:54 pm
Wow, i must aplaud you real life. You got me there!
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 08:59 pm
Is abortion really wrong?

Yes

Why
Your killing a life!
Simple.
No ifs and or but's, no one has the right to commit MURDER.
and ABORTION IS MURDER.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 10:21 pm
I'll have to agree with you there, Scott. Let's see how well the logic of your argument flies with Frank.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 11:31 pm
Is eating fish really wrong?

Yes

Why
Your(sic) killing a life!
Simple.
and Eating Fish IS MURDER.

You'll need a much better argument than simply stating your opposition scott, no matter how forcefully you put it...you're still wrong.

As many so-called "pro-life" people do, you've ignored the question of "Is a foetus a complete human being with full rights" and assumed the answer is obvious (which it clearly is NOT or abortion would be illegal everywhere and most civil rights activists would be against it instead of FOR it) You've jumped directly to the next stage having ignored the real issue because it's too hard. Screaming murder is easy. Cruel, self-rightious and arrogant...but easy.

Let me give an example of what you're doing in case you are a bit slow. It's like you are saying, about a man accused of rape, that it's obvious he should be punished. All people who disagree are SUPPORTING RAPE!!! Well yeah....let's have the trial first shall we, and see if he is in fact guilty before you accuse us of supporting rape.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 03:22 am
Scott777ab wrote:
Is abortion really wrong?

No.

Quote:
Yes

Nope you are wrong.

Quote:

Why
Your killing a life!

Learn to use "you're" where it is appropriate...so you don't look like such a simple minded poster.

In any case, an abortion is the termination of a pregnancy...and a woman should have the right to terminate a pregnancy taking place in her own body...despite the idiotic busybodies who want to pretend they hate governmental intrusion into personal lives...but want to tell women what they can do with their own bodies.

Quote:
Simple.

Yes, you are.

Quote:
and ABORTION IS MURDER.

No...abortion is not murder.

It is a legal procedure.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 03:22 am
neologist wrote:
I'll have to agree with you there, Scott. Let's see how well the logic of your argument flies with Frank.

Crawl back into your hole, Neo.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 03:24 am
Eorl wrote:
Is eating fish really wrong?

Yes

Why
Your(sic) killing a life!
Simple.
and Eating Fish IS MURDER.

You'll need a much better argument than simply stating your opposition scott, no matter how forcefully you put it...you're still wrong.

As many so-called "pro-life" people do, you've ignored the question of "Is a foetus a complete human being with full rights" and assumed the answer is obvious (which it clearly is NOT or abortion would be illegal everywhere and most civil rights activists would be against it instead of FOR it) You've jumped directly to the next stage having ignored the real issue because it's too hard. Screaming murder is easy. Cruel, self-rightious and arrogant...but easy.

Let me give an example of what you're doing in case you are a bit slow. It's like you are saying, about a man accused of rape, that it's obvious he should be punished. All people who disagree are SUPPORTING RAPE!!! Well yeah....let's have the trial first shall we, and see if he is in fact guilty before you accuse us of supporting rape.

He's more than "a bit slow!"

He is way out of his league.

But most of them are!
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 03:38 am
I dont know how inkeeping with the topic this is but Ive been thinking.

I hate the fact that only women can be considered murderers as they are the only ones that can get pregnant.
I wholeheartedly believe there would be a hell of alot more abortions if men could get pregnant.

Also,is there a higher rate of couples getting pregnant, then the man leaves when he finds out leaving the women to bring the child up on her own?
ie,Is the rate of women sticking by their pregnancies greater than those that terminate?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 03:40 am
material girl wrote:
I dont know how inkeeping with the topic this is but Ive been thinking.

I hate the fact that only women can be considered murderers as they are the only ones that can get pregnant.
I wholeheartedly believe there would be a hell of alot more abortions if men could get pregnant.

Also,is there a higher rate of couples getting pregnant, then the man leaves when he finds out leaving the women to bring the child up on her own?
ie,Is the rate of women sticking by their pregnancies greater than those that terminate?

As I've said many times...if men got pregnant, we wouldn't even be discussing this topic.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 03:43 am
Hoorah for Frank.Its nice to have a guy on our side.

I dont like the idea of abortion and I hate reading(as I read in a paper today) that some women see it as a form of contraception, but Im glad to hear that you agree that we should have the choice.

I think Ive said before that I am VERY PRO CONTRACEPTION.
Why cant people use condoms and the pill at least!!?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 03:57 am
material girl wrote:
Hoorah for Frank.Its nice to have a guy on our side.

I dont like the idea of abortion and I hate reading(as I read in a paper today) that some women see it as a form of contraception, but Im glad to hear that you agree that we should have the choice.

I think Ive said before that I am VERY PRO CONTRACEPTION.
Why cant people use condoms and the pill at least!!?

I agree.

I am all for a woman's right to be able legally to terminate a pregnancy if she chooses...but in many cases, I also would like to bat some of them and their careless partners on the head for their stupidity.

I've had a vasectomy. Can't be any more careful than that. Well...I guess you could...

...ugh...I don't even want to think about that. Twisted Evil
0 Replies