Saving Private Lynch - a Made-Up Story.

Tartarin

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 12:20 pm
I was so interested in what Mamaj said about the Newshour piece that I went and checked it out. Again, the LANGUAGE of the reports and denials is particularly interesting, including Rumsfeld's off-center reference to the Iraqi hospital as a "so-called hospital." Highly recommend reading the Newshour transcript: http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/media/jan-june03/lynch_06-10.html

The final statement on the program:

Quote:
I think if the Iraqis wanted to, they could have killed Jessica Lynch at any point. I think the real heroes of this story are the Iraqis who kept her alive. And they did that. Somehow they kept her alive.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 06:00 pm
But the point of this whole exercise is the diminuation of trust.

I am beginning to think that the Bush downfall will be the Iraqi war. There was so much hype going into it - such a wave of planned patriotism. Such talk of Iraqi oil being used to save Iraqis. And downtrodden, enslaved Iraqis were waiting for us to liberate them.

Well, what's happened so far? The war is over, the situation there disintegrates. The Iraqis not only haven't welcomed us, they want us out. And the Intelligence about the oil fields seems to have come straight out of the same playbook that said we could just walk into Iraq. And more and more lies, one covering up another.

And remember when Rumsfeld said that once we were victorius (like there was any doubt), everybody would jump on our bandwagon? Hasn't happened. When he talks about the coalition - there's nobody there.

No wonder all these WH people are looking older.
0 Replies

Anon

Tart:

Not only did they NOT kill her, they tried their best to take care of her ... especially considering the lack of hospitals, supplies, and medicine!

Anon
0 Replies

Tartarin

Apparently they not only took her to the hospital, they took her to one of their best ones. And look at how we treat "enemy combatants."
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 06:15 am
Well, I was wondering what PFC Lynch was up to...

Negotiating with the networks is probably no easier than negotiating with terrorists these days:

Quote:
"Attached you will find the outlines of a proposal that includes ideas from CBS News, CBS Entertainment, MTV networks and Simon & Schuster publishers," Betsy West, a CBS News senior vice president, wrote to Private Lynch's military representatives. "From the distinguished reporting of CBS News to the youthful reach of MTV, we believe this is a unique combination of projects that will do justice to Jessica's inspiring story."

CBS Entertainment executives, the proposal said, "tell us this would be the highest priority for the CBS movie division, which specializes in inspirational stories of courage." Simon & Schuster, it said, "is extremely interested in discussing the possibilities for a book based on Jessica's journey from Palestine, West Virginia, to deep inside Iraq."

MTV Networks, the letter went on, was offering a news special, a chance for Private Lynch and her friends to be the co-hosts of an hourlong music video program on MTV2, and even a special edition of its hit program "Total Request Live" in her honor. "This special would include a concert performance in Palestine, West Va., by a current star act such as Ashanti, and perhaps Ja Rule," the proposal said.

CBS's dangling of movie, television and book deals in front of potential interview subjects has troubled some media critics who worry that in an age of media conglomerates, where news operations coexist with their entertainment counterparts, journalistic independence can suffer in the race for synergy.

New York Times

Media whores falling over themselves to snare the richest 'john'.

Am I the only one disgusted by this display of avarice?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 07:25 am
You may have that backwards, PDiddie. The whore is Lynch (the fallen woman) and the johns with the money (our money, for the most part) are lining up...
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 08:21 am
The Pentagon put something like two million into the CENTCOM stage. These guys are now very very good at media control and manipulation, as is Rove in the WH. They understand that presentation and narrative is what the modern American mass media devours, and that it does so with little question and a very short attention span.

The truth of the story being presented is less important than the public relations consequences because those consequences may (if public opinion turns against the project/war/administration/Pentagon) inhibit the march of the greater truth of America's (or Republican's) moral and cultural superiority in the world.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 09:06 am
S-h-u-d-d-e-r.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 09:12 am
Blatham, you are so good at deciding what the lies are, please tell us the truth of what happened with Pvt. Lynch. Explain to me what really happened.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 09:25 am
Having worked with the media in a former life, I know what they can up to when they sniff a good story. Though I admit, the aritcle Tartarin cites in today's NY Times amazed me re the extent to which media corporations now try to buy a story without, of course, seeming to be buying at all.

As for what's the truth, I'm sure Viacom et al could care less. Who was it who advised not to let the truth get in the way of a good story?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 09:29 am
That was PDiddie who quoted the Times, D'art. Dahn hyar in cow country, ah git mah paper in the mail... Later than those big city guys..
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 09:30 am
McG

I know no more than you, obviously. Each of us does whatever learning we have time and inclination for, and we find second hand or third hand information and we draw conclusions of probability from them. There is nothing new about that.

It is a valid, and necessary, way to understand the world. It's the way you understand Sadaam or the Cosa Nostra or Catholic bishops and their fondness for protecting abusers of children.

Catholic parishoners who will not, or cannot, face the deceits and the selfish motivations and the destructiveness of their Bishops' behaviors do not make good Catholic citizens.

This is the category of citizen I place you in.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 09:32 am
Tartarin wrote:
That was PDiddie who quoted the Times, D'art.

So it was! Excellent cite, PDiddie...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 09:35 am
So, because I doubt the veracity of some media postings, I also condone molesting children? Kind of reach there isn't it?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 09:40 am
Not my point, McG. One could likely count on their hands the number of Catholic parishoners who would condone molestation. But the number of parishoner's who REFUSE TO BELEIVE IT is very much greater.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 09:47 am
"So, because I doubt the veracity of some media postings, I also condone molesting children?"

Okay, McG -- there's a perfect example of why I just can't take you seriously. You falsify Blatham's post and then play "gotcha." It's kid stuff. And it's b-o-r-i-n-g.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 10:02 am
Well, for a second, we were discussing Pvt. Lynch and what actually happened when all of the sudden he started saying that I was like a catholic who condoned molesting children.

What am I supposed to say?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 10:07 am
Confusion reigns.

The psychologists call it 'cognitive dissonance'.

It seems more like self-delusion to me.

Rather than veer this thread off its topic, I started another one on the phenomenon of the facts conflicting with one's viewpoints:

Polls show Americans are 'confused'
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 10:29 am
PDiddie wrote:
Media whores falling over themselves to snare the richest 'john'. Am I the only one disgusted by this display of avarice?

I am reminded of Guy Grand in the Terry Southern novel The Magic Christian:

"Ya think this will spell homerun in the hearts of Mr. & Mrs. America?"

"This is gonna spell blastoff in the hearts of Mr. & Mrs. Front Porch!"

and of Tom Lehrer:

While Brink-el-ey and Hunt-el-ey
Are discussing contrapunctally
The cities we have lost . . .
So please stay tuned so you don't miss a minute
Of the agonizing haulocaust!"
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 11:31 am
Ye gods, Setanta, what a compote of goodies from the good ol' days. Remember when things were funny and quite decent?
0 Replies