Saving Private Lynch - a Made-Up Story.

mamajuana

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 03:05 pm
ehBeth - and? I saw a crawler today on CNN which said the Pentagon blasted the BBC for putting forth such a story, but I haven't been able to find anything pro or con anywhere about it. Sounds like damage control, anyway.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 03:10 pm
just pointing a weakness in NH's reasoning, mamajuana.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 03:58 pm
Okay, eh. I was sort of overlooking it. It didn't seem to have much point to me.

Maybe the reason I got so worked up by this is the fact that it's so blatant. That what it seems to say is that it doesn't matter about us common folk - we'll swallow anything. And that the WH will issue these kinds of orders to the military in full expectation that they will be obeyed. That they are to be obeyed. Sort of "I was only following orders."

Funny how Lynch's memory loss didn't seem to lead to no memory when it came to deals for books. Isn't there somewhere some kind of limit?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 04:14 pm
ehBeth
She never claimed to have been shot and stabbed. In fact her father and the Dr's said she wasn't. She is not responsible for those reports.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 04:19 pm
au - my concern was with NH's attempt to blur the picture.

the issue with Ms. Lynch and what the U.S. gov't is up to, is a separate issue, which mamajuana has dealt with very nicely.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 04:59 pm
mamajuana wrote:
And that the WH will issue these kinds of orders to the military in full expectation that they will be obeyed. That they are to be obeyed. Sort of "I was only following orders.

Which makes it difficult for me to be "fully supportive" of the troops. The line blurs between defending the realm & providing PR for the administration's dirty little war.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 12:09 am
The tale of Pvt. Lynch reads like the outline of a non-fiction book or a movie script. Obviously, since she has memory lapses as President Reagan once did during Iran-Contra, then Dubya can create any scenario about Pvt. Lynch that he wishes.

Reagan, unfortunately, was at the beginning of his bout with Alzheimer's disease when he "couldn't remember." This was a legitimate excuse once the public knew that he was an Alzheimer's victim.

And what about those "weapons of mass destruction" which Dubya said was a logical rationale to rid the world of S. Hussein? None have been found so far . . . and there's been a lot of lookin'.

I would say perhaps Dubya is suffering from dementia, but he does not have enough gray matter for the onset of that condition. The American people, IMHO, will eventually wake up and see how the government has duped them into putting their best and brightest young people in the killing fields, this time in Iraq.

Shocked and awe Exclamation Exclamation
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 11:15 am
I never gave much credence to Lynch who was claimed to be a "hero." I've always assumed that the Iraqi attorney who supposedly walked 25 miles each way twice was the real hero of this story. c.i.
0 Replies

Lusatian

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 06:16 am
Tsk, Tsk
I know for a fact the "heroics" performed by Lynch and crew were exaggerated nonsense meant to increase the prestige of what was basically a non-combat unit, that stupidly took the wrong turn and got their butts whupped for their trouble. However, the fact that anyone can believe such humorous claims as "we grew so attached to the poor American soldier", "the commandos were firing blanks (my personal favorite)", and "we all treated her perfectly", makes me wonder Mamajuana if you are one of those who think that the FBI wrote the Bible to control the masses, Elvis is a prisoner in Area 51, and Hitler has a nightclub in downtown Buenos Aires.
Com'on people. LOL
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 06:33 am
Is Hitler's nightclub like Bogart's in "Casablanca"?

The Bible DOES have a real resemblance to something written by a committee, now you mention it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 06:34 am
Lusatian! You actually NAMED a post "Tsk tsk"!?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 07:48 am
Excellent, dlowan!!

Anyone who has to use print styles to be large and bold is bound to be... well, not large and bold!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 07:52 am
I make no claims whatsoever about the largeness and boldness of the wholeness, or any aspect of, Lusatian!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 09:57 am
Re: Tsk, Tsk
Lusatian wrote:
"the commandos were firing blanks (my personal favorite)"

Not my favorite but even a civilian could recognize that it is a silly claim.

Now the thing is, you and I agree. But you choose to focus on a different facet of it.

You concede hyperbole but then decide to nit-pick the details.

What I see is that many details are partently false because of the hyperbolic efforts at PR.

And no, I don't think the rescuers wer putting on a show. But you have already agreed with me on the phone that intentional news management had occured in regard to her portrayal as a hero.

I find that a pity, mainly because of how dumb it was to do it when they'd get caught. There's no need to invent heros when many already see real ones everywhere.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 12:11 pm
Re: Tsk, Tsk
Craven de Kere wrote:
There's no need to invent heros when many already see real ones everywhere.

Craven<

I think you are correct here.

Even though I disagreed with the United States fighting with Iraq, I can agree that I have read about -- and have seen on TV -- many heroic stories which validate human courage.

I still pray for peace . . .
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 12:57 pm
(On edit, here's a bit more from CNN's broadcast of the Lynch's press conference):

On the controversy regarding her rescue: "We're not supposed to talk about that."

On Lynch's amnesia: "There never was any amnesia. Her memory is as good as when she was home."

Who told you not to talk about the controversy: "Nobody told us not to talk."

OOOOOOKEEEEEE, a couple of things: If nobody told them not to talk about the controversy regarding this whole story, why did her father use the words 'We're not supposed to talk about that?'

If her parents maintain that she is not suffering from amnesia -- and never was -- then why is the government telling people that she is suffering from amnesia?

Who's lying here?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 01:01 pm
Didn't put on a show?

Quote:
Some Iraqi hospital staffers said this month that the U.S. commandos who came to get Lynch refused a key and instead broke down doors and went in with guns drawn, and that they carried away the prisoner in the dead of night with helicopter and armored vehicle backup - even though there was no Iraqi military presence and the hospital staff didn't resist.

Washington Post

I guess it depends on what the definition of the word 'show' is...
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 01:02 pm
Interesting . . . but predictable.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 01:24 pm
One of those valorous moments that so many admire. Craven?
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 01:27 pm
Perhaps if you could could explain to me, Lusatian, what you mean when you say the fact that anyone can believe such humorous claims as........makes me wonder mamajuana if you are one of those that think the FBI wrote the Bible to control the masses.

What humorous claims are you referring to? If you read the opening post, it is a quote from a column written by a respected syndicated columinist about a full investigative report from the BBC regarding a story. A story that was reported here, in full seriousness, without questioning. A story about which a WH response was a very quick "how dare the BBC...", and then not printed again.

There is still no humor to a deliberately fabricated story of heroism (and there were many real ones) to control the masses. Like so much of what is happening now, they got caught lying. (And it turned out the lawyer didn't walk - he was transported to a guaranteed safe job with a lobbying company here that is - surprisingly - linked to the defense dept.)

No, I don't believe the FBI wrote the Bible, but I know the CIA, the FBI, the WH and many others try every day to manipulate the thinking of the masses. One need go no further than the continuing efforts about WMD (I guess we've given up the terrorist and liberated Iraqis angles.) In official talk, that's called disinformation.

Your first sentence, too, needs some clarification. There were far too many professional props and stage directions to call that action "exaggerated nonsense." And the press was specifically notified of this action in time to get their stories and pictures. So, if you could explain the nonsense, I, for one, would be happy to hear how they took a wrong turn.
0 Replies