My Cat the diabetic

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 04:06 pm
@littlek,
you have done the right thing... and then some. you saved his life quite a few times, made him comfortable despite his disease, you truly could not have done more. you bought this kittykat years of happy life.

the house must be so empty, i imagine. it still was without boo there, that will take adjusting to i'm sure. will you go to the cape next week? would be good i guess.
djjd62

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 04:18 pm
if the cat had to go, comfortably at home with you was the way to go
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 04:20 pm
Thinking of you today, k. And wondering if you've gone (or are going) to work today. I hope, if you're not feeling too resilient (very understandably), that you give yourself permission to take a day off.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 04:28 pm
I have no words that have not already been said.

Im sorry you had to watch this and Im sorry it had to be so drastic. But I agree with everyone else. You did what was best for you two and that was the best decision.

( big hug)
ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 04:30 pm
@shewolfnm,
And yes, seeing Screech's photo set me acryin' again, but I do like seeing it just the same.
msolga

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 04:37 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Screech's photo

Beautiful Screech, splendid tuxedo cat. Smile

Thanks, Region.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 06:00 pm
@littlek,
I'm so glad you and Screech could do this together.

He was a wonderful little cat (one of the only cats I never sneezed around - he's special to me just for that) - so much personality and so good-looking in his tux.

You did good by him.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 06:17 pm
One of my all time favorite photos showed Screech paying very close attention to the fish bowl.
msolga

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 06:30 pm
@roger,
This one, Roger? From k's first post to this thread.:

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SgDeAvgW4W2ENQFkDyVG5sXa*HtHgWjrRTueNMlkcMESIoMssltEmD*CBqyw1Shp3LCAmkA6ITBlDX2z*QnQz7RfzaSY0sFM9Ofrz*6ePXZ8yWiUALeTDQ/ScreechAndFish1.jpg?dc=4675311379496238619
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 06:38 pm
As I've said again and again, thank you all. Thanks for being here now, and thanks for being here throughout this whole thread.

Dasha, it does feel empty. I have for so long identified with being a pet owner, and an owner of needy pets at that.

MsO - I did go to work. Otherwise I'd just sit at home and be miserable. I had a few hours to myself at home after work to do the grieving thing. So long as I have that at some point during the day, I would rather be distracted for the rest of the time. I'm still in shock too.

Beth - you're not the only one who more mild allergies with Screech. Just goes to show and good and sweet he was, he didn't even make people sneeze.
dlowan

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 06:50 pm
@littlek,
It's amazing how big a hole a small animal leaves.

It's kind of Screech shaped, I would imagine, but MUCH bigger. As big as his personality and heart.

Lucky little fella to have you, and you to have him.

Any really favourite memories you wanna share?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 06:52 pm
@littlek,
I can understand that, k. The wanting to be occupied.
Apart from missing Screech, for years now your movements have revolved around his illness (& Boo's) - his shots, the many vet visits. I imagine you're as shocked by this changing so suddenly, as anything else. A big adjustment to get used to, as well as the grief.
sozobe

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 07:13 pm
@msolga,
I thought of that too, msolga. Littlek's been shooting the cat for as long as I've known her, I think.

Like dlowan, I'd be interested in favorite Screech stories, if littlek is so inclined...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 08:49 pm
Been shooting the cat since before I started this thread - about 7 years. That's just about half Screech's lifetime.

Screech was born with three litter-mates in a cbinet in my apartment in Santa Fe. He lived in three states with me. He rode in the rental truck across the country to GA and then to MA. He was the first one out of the baby-cat nest. He stood behind me looking like a little black spot on the kitchen floor and meowed up at me. He was the cutest little thing. i think he sort of imprinted on me as mother. I took all 4 cats with me to GA as they were still just a few weeks old. I gave his two brothers to a friend after a couple months there and kept him and his sister. In GA I got Bootsie. When we walked her, the cats would follow us. We'd be walking down the sidewalk with two dogs on leashes and two cats trotting behind us. After he felt more comfy there, he stopped.

When his sister died I was worried he would be depressed. He wasn't. She'd been dominant and he sort of flourished after she was gone. Again I worried that he'd be depressed after Bootsie died. He wasn't really (Dasha might remember differently.)

What I'll miss, what I do miss, is him sleeping on me. He did every night unless it was over about 75ยบ in the bedroom. And even then he'd lay on me until he got hot. He'd lay with his face a few inches from mine and watch me as I fell asleep (I usually fell asleep first, but not always). On the warmer nights he'd stretch out a bit instead of curling his paws under his breast. He'd stretch out his whole front leg so that it'd drape along my neck, or sometimes on my face. If he wanted off of me, he'd lie down right next to me. He even learned to body-surf while I rolled from side to side under the covers.

Also, he used to come to meet me when I came home, especially if I'd been gone for a while. He'd hear me coming, and meet me in the hall by the door. And he'd meow hello when he saw me. And then he'd sniff my forehead if given the opportunity.

Like his dad he loved to get in the shower to lick water droplets off the tub floor. Once or twice he hopped right into the water stream. He did so last Sunday night. He also liked parties. He'd mix and mingle with his guests as they sat eating and drinking. He'd walk up to them and sit and stare until they gave him attention. Of course, tuna was another love. I couldn't even bring myself to buy a tuna sandwich on the way home from work today. Maybe next week.
kickycan

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 09:37 pm
I hate to distract from the stories about Screech with my own selfish needs, but I was wondering something: How much is one of those glucose meters you used to test Screech? Since I've switched to the new insulin ("Vetsulin"), I've basically just been guessing at whether it's working or not based on his behavior. I started with half the dosage I was giving him of the other stuff and gradually upped it--now I'm back up to 3 units twice a day, just like I was doing with the other insulin. He seems to be fine, and I am very much against taking him to the vet for another $300 worth of tests and the bonus of having Rocky piss all over himself and become a total wreck by the time I get him back home.

Anyway, so how much does one of those things cost?

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 09:48 pm
@dagmaraka,
I don't know how you are about this kind of thing, K and Dag and everybody, but I have a longish hallway filled with old photos, framed early 1900's postcards, a little bit of art.. and a few Pacco photos right by the light switch. I don't look at any of that all the time, but I like the photos being there.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 09:54 pm
Oh Littlek, Bob just told me about Screech.

Like so many a2kers and former abuzzers, I have known Screech, through you, for many years, loving the stories and the updates on his diabetes. And now he's gone.

I do hope you feel nothing but good about the way you let him die. To die in the arms of the person he loved most in the world is all any pet or any human could ask.

Lucky Screech and lucky you for having each other for so many loving years.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{ hugs to you }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 09:59 pm
@littlek,
Lovely Screech stories!!

The body draped against you and the greeting rituals are wonderful cat things.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 03:07 am
@littlek,
Quote:
In GA I got Bootsie. When we walked her, the cats would follow us. We'd be walking down the sidewalk with two dogs on leashes and two cats trotting behind us.

Oh I can just picture this, k!
"There go those crazy, animal loving neighbours again!" Wink

... And I know that really good feeling when a critter is beside his/her self with pleasure that you're finally home! When the the sound of your car is the source of great happiness! Even after the rottenest day at work, a greeting like this can make you feel really special & loved! Very Happy
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 07:00 am
Sorry to hear about this littlek, but I know you gave your kitty friend the best life possible. What more could an animal ask for than to be loved in life and missed in death? I hope the happy memories soon replace the sad.
0 Replies