Let's Play With Latin!

Piffka

Reply Fri 16 May, 2003 03:37 pm
Thanks, Letty! Great clues, these are fun, aren't they?

Could repuerasco be realjohnboy? Puer = boy, I think.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 16 May, 2003 03:42 pm
piffka...puer est pulchra....lol...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 16 May, 2003 03:59 pm
Well, I'm stumped!

How 'bout Crassusfugitcasses? (I admit, a longshot.)
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 16 May, 2003 04:15 pm
Piffka wrote:
Could repuerasco be realjohnboy?

Well, puer is really a male kid, but where is John here? Neither do I find the word "real": it is derived from the Latin root, so it would appear explicitly.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 16 May, 2003 04:19 pm
Piffka...the boy is beautiful...can't fathom yours...Good grief.....hmmm. Wasn't there someone on another site who was Count fathom? Very Happy
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 16 May, 2003 04:37 pm
steissd, do you realize how many names there are for "John" in any language? Ivan...Sean....Hans....Ian..Iian...ad infinitum...how do you say steissd in Latin? Smile of course you do...
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 16 May, 2003 04:43 pm
John in Latin will sound something like "Johannus", IMO. SteissD is not translatable into any language, since this is an abbreviation including 6 letters of my family name and the first letters of my private name. My private appears in the Bible, and it is the same in all the known languages. Surname has no translation either. Maybe, it refers to some particular place in Germany (my late father was an ethnic German), but I failed to find any references to existence of such a place by means of Google search.
Oh, sorry, I am wrong. I have found it.
It is in Baden-Württemberg, district Ortenaukreis, and here is the emblem of this place:
http://www.ngw.nl/int/dld/s/images/steissli.jpg
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 16 May, 2003 05:00 pm
steissd is right about Asherman.

realjohnboy would be verusiohannespueri.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 16 May, 2003 05:16 pm
I think there was a Count Fathom.

Now I've offered up two that nobody has figured out... should I give you more hints?

Callum = Corn+er

Crassus-fugit-casses
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 16 May, 2003 05:25 pm
Is husk a kind of corn? Is it husker?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 16 May, 2003 05:29 pm
Yay. Yes. Husker stands for Cornhusker which is the college football team he played for (if I got the story right).

THe husk would be the inedible outside leaves of corn. The ones that start out green and dry yellow. In Mexican cookery that is what is used to form a tamale, I think.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 16 May, 2003 05:30 pm
Husk is a dry outer cover of fruit or seeds; maybe, it could be referred to in Latin as tunica (cf. tunica mucosa, a mucous membrane that covers
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 16 May, 2003 05:33 pm
Now I know. We simply say: "hojas de elote" (corn leaves).

BTW, the singular of tamales is tamal. At least in Spanish. Un tamal, dos tamales.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 16 May, 2003 05:48 pm
Oh, thanks, I think I used to know that about tamal, tamales.

So, shall I give you another hint with the crassus? The exact word I was looking for was not in my dictionary... this might be better called carnatus or pinguis, maybe even arvina.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 16 May, 2003 06:07 pm
Mac: Repuerasco is a good one. But since it means to become a boy again, and little boys like to frolic, I figure it could also refer to the member here whose name is FROLIC. Very Happy
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 16 May, 2003 06:26 pm
I cannot really recall anyone having screen name referring to fat/oil (if I mamanged to translate the words pinguis and arvina properly). Well, the word crassus also means "thick" or "fat" (cf. intestinum crassum, aca large intestine that is really thicker than the small one is).
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 16 May, 2003 07:56 pm
Piffka: This is way out, but here goes: Butrflynet (I think that's how he/she spells it. Confused
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 16 May, 2003 07:58 pm
Raggedyaggie, you amaze me!
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 16 May, 2003 08:40 pm
A couple more. Easier:

marevitreus

somnus2020
0 Replies

mac11