YAY!!!!!!

Magginkat

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 07:15 am
Cotton picking image thingy is not working this morning
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 07:23 am
Al-Hayat is a Muslim language newspaper and website. This article was translated by Juan Cole and can be found on his website.

Quote:
Al-Hayat says that successors to Abu Musab al-Zarqawi are vowing to fight on. One report disputed that Abd al-Rahman al-`Iraqi was killed along with him, and said he was organizing for reprisals. Another report, from the US military, suggested that he had an Egyptian successor. Al-Zaman adds, that sources close to the Sunni Arab resistance movements, among the the (neo-Baathist) Army of Islam and the Brigads of the 1920 Revolution and the Army of Mujahidin said that Zarqawi's organization, which had announced open war on the Shiites of Iraq, had distorted the motives of the Resistance and harmed its potiential. They consider him a martyr, but differ with him in their interpretation (ijtihad) of Islam. One big problem for the guerrilla movement has been that it has largely been ethnic Sunni Arabs, and Zarqawi's tactics made pan-Islamic alliances difficult. The resistance movements appear to hope that with him out of the way, a Sunni-Shiite joint resistance to US presence might become more plausible. Al-Hayat says that they pledged "to intensify their operations during the coming phase against the American forces, as a way of demonstrating the true weight of al-Qaeda." (I.e., the indigenous Iraqi movements are saying that Zarqawi's group is not that important, and they will show who has really been doing the fighting.)
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 07:23 am
ZARQAWI DEAD, DEMOCRATS DEPRESSED

Make no mistake: Democrats are depressed. They're down in the dumps because they have been counting on the war in Iraq to go badly so that they can use that to pick up enough seats in this fall's election to take back control of the House. With Zarqawi getting clipped yesterday, this throws a wrench in things. What is going to happen to their aspirations if this marks a turning point in Iraq and we defeat the insurgency? Worse than that .. what happens if Bush gets the opportunity to display the bloated and bloodied face of that slime Osama bin Laden between now and the election? You can bet the ranch that in that event there will be Democrats who will swear that it was all staged ... that Bush knew where Osama was all along, and just waited until the most opportune time to make his move.

Well ... at least the Democrats have that "culture of corruption" thing to run on. But wait! ... there's $90,000 in William Jefferson's freezer that says that won't work. Plus .. the Congressional Black Caucus is defending him? Corruption? Clean the green fuzz out of your own refrigerator first. Gas prices? People are actually starting to realize that there are market forces at work here that Bush has, and should have no control over. No, if the Bush Administration rights the ship in Iraq, the Democrats are done...and they know it.

So they responded accordingly yesterday. Nancy Pelosi, House Minority Leader and Speaker-in-waiting, said yesterday Zarqawi's death changes nothing. In fact, she responded with a quote that could have come right off an Islamic hate website: "Several hours after Zarqawi's death, 19 Iraqis were killed and 40 were wounded in a roadside bombing in Baghdad." Pelosi, along with most of her kook leftist buddies, are banking on American defeat in Iraq.

Some Democrats are so upset that Bush is getting some positive help from al-Zarqawi's death that they're actually claiming that the whole thing was nothing but a stunt. Congressman Pete Stark from California said that Bush had al-Zarqawi killed to cover for the deaths of civilians in Iraq and to boost his poll numbers. I guess we could laugh at Stark, if he wasn't so completely pathetic. If al-Zarqawi remains free Bush takes the heat for not being able to find him. If al-Zarqawi is killed, Bush takes the heat for trying to divert attention from his sagging poll numbers. This just goes to show the depths to which Democrats and the left will sink to feed their hatred of George Bush .. hatred fueled by the election of 2000.

And as for whether or not Zarqawi was an important hit....absolutely he was. This is the guy who ran Al-Qaeda's operations in Iraq. Yet her are Democrats...downplaying it as symbolic. They call rubbing out Zarqawi symbolism, yet whine about how Osama Bin Laden hasn't been caught. This despite the fact that Osama is sitting in a cave somewhere in Pakistan doing absolutely nothing. Which one is it, fellas? Make up your minds already.

Anymore good news from Iraq, and Democrats may get really desperate. Maybe they'll strap on an AK-47 and join the insurgency.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 07:27 am
I notice you don't attribute this to Boortz. Good thing, too--that way, people who don't bother to click on the link, or don't notice it's there, will not realize that gobshite wrote this tripe.
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 07:29 am
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v737/Magginkat/ABush.jpg
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 07:29 am
Sorry my posts don't live up to your standards. Anyone too lazy to check the link probably shouldn't bother reading my posts.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 07:30 am
McGentrix wrote:
Make no mistake: Democrats are depressed. They're down in the dumps because they have been counting on the war in Iraq to go badly so that they can use that to pick up enough seats in this fall's election to take back control of the House. With Zarqawi getting clipped yesterday, this throws a wrench in things. What is going to happen to their aspirations if this marks a turning point in Iraq and we defeat the insurgency?

You seriously believe that this one killing will be the end of the troubles? I'd say that's being extremely optimistic.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 07:33 am
Why was it necessary to bomb him? Since he was trapped in a house that was surrounded, why didn't they go in after him or wait him out? Dropping 2 500 pound bombs on a man (don't forget the woman and child) does not seem to be a rational thing to do. Is it just luck that there was enough left to identify?

Agreed that he was a monster etc. etc., but even monsters have a right to go through the justice system. What were they afraid of that they "took him out" through bombing. Does this make them any better than the terrorists they seek?
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 07:33 am
Setanta wrote:
I notice you don't attribute this to Boortz. Good thing, too--that way, people who don't bother to click on the link, or don't notice it's there, will not realize that gobshite wrote this tripe.

True and that's how the righties operate. Leave out the major details... Lie by omission. Chicken George makes that a speciality in his silly speeches.
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 07:40 am
msolga wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Make no mistake: Democrats are depressed. They're down in the dumps because they have been counting on the war in Iraq to go badly so that they can use that to pick up enough seats in this fall's election to take back control of the House. With Zarqawi getting clipped yesterday, this throws a wrench in things. What is going to happen to their aspirations if this marks a turning point in Iraq and we defeat the insurgency?

You seriously believe that this one killing will be the end of the troubles? I'd say that's being extremely optimistic.

I would think that McG would have read that first paragraph, especially the part that says, "because they have been counting on the war in Iraq to go badly", and would have been embarrassed to post it.

Is he (Boortz) saying that the war has been going 'goodly'? LOL

Just some more proof as to what morons these conservatives are.

Speaking of morons, old Tom Delay is giving his tearful farewell today. Now let's hope they get his corrupt ass in prison and soon.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 07:41 am
Setanta wrote:

tripe is to kind a word....
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 08:32 am
McGentrix wrote:
... probably shouldn't bother reading my posts.

Finally a noteworthy opinion of yours that's worth following, McG.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 08:44 am
Set is right the article from McG is tripe.

Does everything in Iraq have to be about US politics?

As it happens both sides are right, it is good that Zarqawi got taken out as he did cause a lot of innocent civilian deaths in Iraq but it is also true that the violence is not over. Personally I hope the violence does at least wind down and Iraqis start concentrating on getting a strong independent country. But if they do, chances are it will be an Iranian style country with close ties to Iran. But if that is what they want, then that is their right.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 08:45 am
Magginkat wrote:
Setanta wrote:

True and that's how the righties operate. Leave out the major details... Lie by omission. Chicken George makes that a speciality in his silly speeches.

I am sorry that the subtlties of links are beyond your comprehension.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 08:51 am
McGentrix wrote:
I am sorry that the subtlties of links are beyond your comprehension.

Come now McG...must you descend into the sewer every time somebody flushes your toilet? Razz
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 09:09 am
Republicans seem to care an awful lot about the feelings of Democrats. It's almost as if they only ever care about the political ramifications of their actions...
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 09:12 am
JTT wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
... probably shouldn't bother reading my posts.

Finally a noteworthy opinion of yours that's worth following, McG.

Something that brought a smile to my face on an otherwise boring morning Smile
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 10:14 am
I am not by any means claming there is some kind of cover up going on or anything, but it is curious as to how the accounts of Zarqawi death keep changing.

Al-Zarqawi said to survive airstrike

Quote:
WASHINGTON - A mortally wounded Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, still alive after a U.S. airstrike on his hideout, mumbled briefly and attempted to "turn away off the stretcher" he had been placed on by Iraqi police, the U.S. military said Friday.

U.S. officials had said Thursday in announcing the attack that Zarqawi was dead when U.S. troops arrived on the scene.

Maj. Gen. Bill Caldwell, speaking to reporters at the Pentagon from his post in Baghdad, said he learned after getting briefings Friday that Zarqawi was alive when Iraqi police first arrived on the scene, but he died a short time later.

"We did in fact see him alive," Caldwell said. "He mumbled a little something but it was indistinguishable and it was very short."

Caldwell said U.S. forces have conducted many raids over the past two days based on intelligence gathered from the scene of Zarqawi's killing. He displayed several digital photographs taken from the results of one such raid, which found small arms, ammunition and other items hidden beneath the floor of a building in the Baghdad area.

He said one targeted individual, whom he did not identify, was killed in the latest raids and at least 25 were captured.

Pentagon officials have refused to say whether U.S. special operations forces participated in the Zarqawi operation Wednesday, but a comment Friday by President Bush suggested that some of the military's most secretive units may have been involved on the ground.

Speaking to reporters, Bush mentioned that among the senior officers he called to offer congratulations for killing Zarqawi was Army Lt. Gen. Stanley McChrystal, commander of Joint Special Operations Command, whose forces include the Army's clandestine counterterrorism unit, Delta Force.

Asked whether Zarqawi was shot after U.S. ground troops arrived at the scene of the airstrike, Caldwell said he could not give a definitive answer based on what he had read in the latest official U.S. military report on the event. "I'll go back and specifically ask that," he said. "But no, there was nothing in the report that said he had received any wounds from some kind of weapons system like that."

Zarqawi's safehouse was destroyed by two 500-pound bombs launched from an Air Force F-16 on Wednesday evening.

Caldwell said the U.S. military was still compiling some details of the event, including the exact amount of time Zarqawi was alive after the attack. He said an initial analysis of Zarqawi's body had been done but he was not certain whether it constituted a full autopsy.

"I know that there was, quote, an autopsy done, but I'll go back and make sure it was performed by the certified kind of person that we're supposed to have so we can call it an autopsy and make sure I'm exactly correct before I tell you that," he said.

In an interview earlier Friday with Fox News Channel, Caldwell was more descriptive of Zarqawi's actions before he died.

"He was conscious initially, according to the U.S. forces that physically saw him," Caldwell told Fox. "He obviously had some kind of visual recognition of who they were because he attempted to roll off the stretcher, as I am told, and get away, realizing it was U.S. military."

Caldwell indicated that U.S. troops "went into the process to provide medical care to him" before Zarqawi expired. He did not elaborate on the medical assistance. He said U.S. officials are in discussions with Iraqi government officials about the disposition of Zarqawi's body.

The spokesman also provided a revised accounting of the dead. He said the six people killed in the airstrike included three women. On Thursday U.S. officials had said one woman and one child were among the dead. Caldwell said Friday the latest information available to him gave no indication that a child was killed.

The U.S. military earlier had displayed images of the battered face of al-Zarqawi and reported that he had been identified by fingerprints, tattoos and scars. Biological samples from his body also were delivered to an FBI crime laboratory in Virginia for DNA testing. The results were expected in three days.

Caldwell said Friday that authorities made a visual identification of al-Zarqawi upon arriving at the site of the airstrike.

"Zarqawi attempted to sort of turn away off the stretcher, everybody resecured him back onto the stretcher but he died almost immediately thereafter from the wounds he'd received from this airstrike," Caldwell said.

Caldwell said it was unclear whether Zarqawi was trying to get away as he made movement on the stretcher.

"We did in fact see him alive," Caldwell said. "There was some kind of movement he had on the stretcher and he did die shortly thereafter. But yes, it was confirmed by other than the Iraqi police that he was alive initially."

Al-Zarqawi, who had a $25 million bounty on his head, was killed at 6:15 p.m. Wednesday after an intense two-week hunt that U.S. officials said first led to the terror leader's spiritual adviser and then to him.

U.S. Gen. George Casey, the top U.S. commander in Iraq, said at the time that the American airstrike targeted "an identified, isolated safe house." Also killed in the airstrike was Abu Abdul-Rahman al-Iraqi, the terrorist's spiritual consultant.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 10:33 am
Continuing reference is made to DNA testing. Precisely what does anyone allege a sample can be compared to? Did Zarquawi spit into a cup for the US Forces at some time in the past, and they just forgot to tell us? How can you establish the identity of a corpse with DNA testing if you don't already have a reliable sample of DNA from the purported victim?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 10:40 am
One thing our military has done is assemble relatives of those they are seeking and take samples from them.

Joe(now we are vampires as well as torturers)Nation
0 Replies