YAY!!!!!!

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 11:08 pm
Magginkat wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Magginkat wrote:
Poo-poo heads Finn? There should be a law against such a bad case of self-imposed stupidity.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v737/Magginkat/Neighbor_problems.jpg

Maggie, you are irritating, but generally are as irrelevant as the screams of a cat in heat.

Of course there's a Tom out there somewhere who gets a woody from your caterwauling, but it ain't me babe; it ain't me.

(Maybe it's CI or JTT)

Thank Heavens for Small Favors. According to your wife you have not been able to rise to the occasion in years!

Wow, that's really clever! Maggie you the bomb!

Of course my wife would be more likely to cut you off at your knees then ever provide one iota of support to your inane and absurd contentions, but you go girl, you go!
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 05:12 am
Finn,
You should know by now that arguing with her is like arguing with a wall.
Except the wall gives you more intelligent responses then mags does.

Remember,this is the same woman that once told a state rep that "a bullet isnt good enough for you",then got upset when the Secret Service wanted to talk to her.

This is also the same woman that has made comments about how funny it is when a soldier gets wounded,and that if the soldiers support Bush they deserve to get wounded or killed.

Thats why she has been banned from several other sites.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 06:25 am
finn said
Quote:
I never get the coloration right. F-Me!

If only it was the coloration. You've also managed to mis-understand or mis-represent pretty much everything else I've said too.
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 07:03 am
blatham wrote:
finn said
Quote:

If only it was the coloration. You've also managed to mis-understand or mis-represent pretty much everything else I've said too.

I think that's his speciality Blatham. There are several like Ole Finn.

It sounds like he would cut his wife's legs off if he learned that she had opposed him. Did you ever notice that anytime a conservative/Repug tries to describe a Democrat /Liberal, he always....ALWAYS describes himself.

I see many examples of that on A2K. Finn is just one of the more blatant cases.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 07:22 am
whoda said
Quote:
But as memory serves me, I was lamenting the fact that my Democratic party was the party that I've always perceived as embracing the values of FDR's New Deal, JFK's New Frontier, & LBJ's Great Society as the traditional load-bearing planks of its platform. Meaty, visionary stuff, if you will. All of the other was just fluff to appease the extreme left wing.

Does this mean you considered those three planks valid or workable or just policies or values but you no longer do? If so, why not? Or that the dems themselves no longer really support those policies? If so, what brings you to that conclusion? What was the other 'fluff'?

Quote:
I believe I referred to the party as being in the grips of "fanatical liberals." Would you (and Ozprah) feel more comfortable with the phrase "extreme left wing," Blatham? The Greens of the party stole enough votes (threw them away actually) in 2000 to cost Gore the election. (I view them as my-way-or-no-way fanatics.)

But if the 'greens' (I'm gathering you refer to the folks who supported Nader) separated themselves from the dems, how would that make the dems more fanatical? Surely the appropriate analogy would be if the republicans lost the Moore wing to a third party movement. The consequent Republican group would be less extreme.

Quote:
I also referred to the party as being in the grips of "abortionists." I know that's dismissed as a wedge issue by the pointy-headed types, but the current group of extreme left wingers relish each and every opportunity to push their "right to abort" onto the front burner when it would better serve the party to simply allow it to simmer. That issue alone traditionally mobilizes an incredible block of mainline Christians in this country. Factor in the gigantic number of Fundamentalist voters and one can only wonder what Dem party leaders are thinking. (In 2004, the GOP was actually recruiting the Amish, traditional non-voters, with this very issue hoping their added votes might decide the state's status as a swing state.)

You conflate two matters here; the justice/moral issue of legal access to abortion and the use of this issue as a political strategy. Would you rather dem leaders/candidates hewed away from principled arguments for a woman's right (and there are principled arguments on either side) for mere political advantage? Large blocks of voters are mobilized on both sides of this issue and I'm certainly not the first one to suggest that no Republican presidential candidate will make overturning Roe an explicit election promise. They know the consequences.

Quote:
And I also said the party is in the grips of "vacuous Hollywood types." This is one of my petpeeves, Blatham. When Martin Sheen hauled a cross on his back down a thoroughfare in Hollywood to promote his cause d'jour, I wanted to vomit a quart and a half. When the Kerry crowd trotted Bruce Springsteen into my flyover state to sway God knows what portion of the demographics, I had the same physical reaction. I don't care if the offenders are GOP, Dem, or Druid -- whenever a party tries to buy my vote with such a cheap Madison Avenue tactic it triggers instant revulsion. And it seems that of late the Dems have hauled out more than their fair share of wannabe actors and actresses apparently to buy the idiot vote.

You avoided mention of Arnold. Or of Sonny Bono or Clint Eastwood or Reagan for that matter. Or Heston. Some years past, Heston came to central British Columbia seeking to stop Canadian legislation on gun registration and in a speech in Prince George he referred to "the god-given right to have weapons." He was referring to what new or old testament passage?

I agree with you that such celebrities can sway opinion when all that makes their opinion notable is that it is voiced by a celebrity. It's an unfortunate fact about society, particularly celebrity-obsessed societies. Had Arnold, totally aside from all else of importance (education, thoughtfulness, experience, etc), played intellectual or gay characters rather than the strongman stuff he's famous for, he would never have gained wide support from the Republican base. Idiot voters seem pretty evenly divided between parties.

Doesn't it seem to you that we are all rather hypocritcal on this matter? If the vote-getting celeb is on our side, he's less disgusting? The thing is, of course, that they have the right to voice their opinions like anyone else, we just get upset when their influence is unwarranted, being based in celebrity rather than those more important criteria.

Quote:
Somewhere, maybe not on this thread, I noted that the Clintons are savvy politicians and as such they recognize the necessity to move to the center of the political spectrum to get elected in this country. He did it twice, and she's clearly maneuvering in that direction.

They both have done as you suggest. Of course, whether that strategy will work is entirely dependent upon the circumstances of the day. Reagan and Bush 2 moved further right than previous Republican administrations, but that worked for them in their particular time periods. There's no 'law' which determines the success of a centrist position. Norquist derogates the idea often.

Quote:
Perhaps we can strike a deal, Blatham. I'll try to avoid slogans and cliches, if you try to avoid pontificating from fog-shrouded peaks?

Here we get to a problem I suspect we won't solve. Your admiration (if that's the right word) for Coulter isn't a hopeful sign. One doesn't get a good grasp of any issue or subject or political philosophy by listening to agitprop. If you came to me with careful argument from William Buckley or Kagan or even Strauss or some other conservative thinker who approaches political ideas/facts with care, integrity and scholarship, then we could very likely have a conversation of value.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 07:36 am
Magginkat wrote:
blatham wrote:
finn said
Quote:

It sounds like he would cut his wife's legs off if he learned that she had opposed him. Did you ever notice that anytime a conservative/Repug tries to describe a Democrat /Liberal, he always....ALWAYS describes himself.

maggie

I've actually had a good number of extended and careful conversations with finn and those have been valuable and fun. I actually like the fellow and we've planned on a few occasions to get together for a drink or a needle but circumstances have intervened. Lately we haven't been getting on too well but that's due not to any change in finn but rather my impatience that he, like so many here, refuse to allow any amount of information to dissuade them from their party fealty even while the world becomes a much uglier and more dangerous place from the actions of this administration and its allied interest groups/individuals.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 07:51 am
To the contrary, the war in Iraq has taken a decided turn for the better. Your opinion about the world becoming an uglier place is one learned from the media. You should instead be listening to the people doing the real work over there.

BARWANA, Iraq (June 21, 2006) -- Despite the stunning blow to Iraq's insurgency last week with the death of Al Qaeda in Iraq leader Abu Musab al Zarqawi, Marines and Iraqi soldiers here are continuing the fight against terrorism by combating insurgent activity almost daily.

While they patrol the worn streets lined with pock marks from improvised explosive devices, the Marines are reminded that insurgents are still working behind the scenes and planning attacks in this city of 30,000 located on the Euphrates River northwest of Baghdad.

Zarqawi or no Zarqawi, the Marines and Iraqi soldiers still have insurgents to fight.

Still, the Marines here say that even though it has been a long and grueling three months, the insurgency is beginning to crumble in this city as local residents are warming up to the Marines' presence and the Iraqi Army is becoming a more solid and independent organization.

"We came here to train the Iraqi Army to take over this battle space," said Capt. Michael R. Hudson, commanding officer for 3rd Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment's Lima Company - the U.S. military unit assigned to provide security in Barwana, part of the "Triad" of cities in this region - Barwana, Hadithah, and Haqlaniyah.

"The progress they have made is remarkable," said Hudson, 33.

When the Marines arrived in March, Iraqi soldiers here did not have the training to conduct simple missions, such as organized foot patrols through the towns. Now they are countering IEDs, conducting raids on insurgents' houses and providing security during humanitarian missions, said Hudson.

Last month, Iraqi Army officers planned a raid of a house single-handedly and took suspected insurgents into custody, something they would have had much difficulty accomplishing when Lima Company arrived in March, said Hudson, a native of Concord, Mass.

"By the time Lima Company leaves, I think the Iraqi soldiers will be capable of conducting combat operations without even having Marines supervise them," said Staff Sgt. Timothy P. Ledbeter, 30, Lima Company's chief Iraqi Army advisor and Craig, Ala., native.

Once the Iraqi Army has control of the city, they will be able to recruit a police force more effectively because they are able to communicate with locals and assure them they will be protected from the insurgency, said Ledbetter. A functioning police force and a stable army will result in a more stable and secure city where residents can live without the fear of insurgents, said Ledbeter.

Ledbeter credits the success of the Iraqi Army not to advisors like himself, but the team leaders and squad leaders assigned to Lima Company who constantly prepare the soldiers for future missions.

But as the Marines are noting progress in the Iraqi soldiers' performance, they're still encountering resistance from insurgents who do not want to see the Iraqi Army succeed.

Last month, Marines were assessing local schools for repairs and giving out school supplies to students, when insurgents opened fire on the Marines as they left the school. In the days following the small-arms attack, the Marines were exposed to a flurry of IED attacks.

However, the Marines say attacks like these have been on the decline since they arrived in Iraq in March. Attacks against the Marines' forward operating base and various joint U.S.-Iraqi patrols used to occur four to five times a week. Now, they are down to an average of two a week, said Hudson.

One reason for the steady decline in insurgent activity is the fact the Marines in Barwana have captured quite a few insurgents - 60 since March, many of whom have been sent to prison for their crimes.

But Hudson said the Marines are not just focused on fighting insurgents.

The Marines are also focused on improving the local economy by assembling work projects, employing residents with jobs such as posting street signs along roadways, renovations of local schools and repairing water pumps that provide potable water to residents.

"It can take a long time to complete a project because the insurgents are still threatening residents for cooperating with us," said Hudson. "But we keep track of the progress and continue to encourage locals to cooperate with us by getting them to attend meetings with us and assuring them that we will continue to suppress the insurgents."

Many of the Marines here say they get more satisfaction out of helping the locals with humanitarian projects than they do when they capture an insurgent.

A couple weeks ago, Lance Cpl. Dominique Cook, a 22-year-old machine gunner assigned to Lima Company, was patrolling Barwana when a parched child approached him and asked for some water and food.

Cook, a native of Dalton, Ga., said his heart went out to the young boy. He gave him a bottle of fresh water and a meal, ready-to-eat.

"It was like Christmas for that child," recalled Cook. "He was as happy as I was when I got expensive toys and video games for Christmas. I will never forget that child as long as I live."

Cook said it upsets him when the mainstream media only reports the negative news in Iraq and focus little attention on the good things Marines are doing, like rebuilding schools and giving toys to children.

"It can be discouraging when I see the media portray us in a bad light," said Cook, right after a two-hour patrol through Barwana's winding streets, where temperatures often peak over 110 degrees. "But I am not going to let it get me down. I am still going to help these people every chance I get and I pray for them every night."

"I know that the child I gave food and water to that day will also remember me for the rest of his life," added Cook. "I do not think he will ever be an insurgent."
http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/8EB952BD796AD7A385257194005CA570?opendocument
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 08:19 am
Quote:
To the contrary, the war in Iraq has taken a decided turn for the better. Your opinion about the world becoming an uglier place is one learned from the media. You should instead be listening to the people doing the real work over there.

Well, your link doesn't appear to work.

But your post constitutes an example of precisely what I just spoke of. Almost every morning, I take two to three hours to read "media" from a diverse set of sources from around the world. I usually spend further time in the evenings at the same task with 'news', with essays, with books.

And you link me to a Marine Corps site suggesting that this is where I'll find the real, balanced, objective, unprejudiced, honest truth of things. Pat Tillman's father and mother would surely pat you on the back for your approach to fact-finding.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 08:27 am
Hmmm. link opened for me BTW.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 08:56 am
I bet you can find Maggie in one of these pics.

http://www.zombietime.com/hall_of_shame/
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 08:11 pm
blatham wrote:
finn said
Quote:

Poor blatham - he's so misunderstood.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 09:24 pm
blatham wrote:
Magginkat wrote:
blatham wrote:
finn said
Quote:

maggie

I've actually had a good number of extended and careful conversations with finn and those have been valuable and fun. I actually like the fellow and we've planned on a few occasions to get together for a drink or a needle but circumstances have intervened. Lately we haven't been getting on too well but that's due not to any change in finn but rather my impatience that he, like so many here, refuse to allow any amount of information to dissuade them from their party fealty even while the world becomes a much uglier and more dangerous place from the actions of this administration and its allied interest groups/individuals.

I'm sure you disappointed Ole Maggie with this response and may even have slipped a bit in her regard.

I still love you bernie, even if you're losing your wit (wisdom, I'm afraid, you've never had).

You seem, though, to be incapable of appreciating that simply because someone doesn't share your perspective on the world it is not necessarily because they have sworn undying loyalty to any particular political party or group.

They might simply be wrong or then so might you.

As for the world becoming a much uglier place, that is, again, a matter of perspective. In truth, the world has always been a pretty ugly place ever since mankind discovered the wonders of agriculture and fixed location living. It really is difficult to consider your suggestion that the world is an uglier place than it was 6 years ago because Bush & Co have enjoyed power, as much more the whining of a Liberal with a bad case of the Vapors.

The world (which is to say human existence) has been slowly but surely become more beautiful, not uglier. There remain warts a plenty, but the bone structure is sounder, the complexion that much more uniform.

The world's good looks remain vulnerable to it's own version of melanoma, but it really is silly to suggest that this American administration, could be the source of the cancer, and whereas you may be losing your patience with me, it is this warped, view of worldly Evil that has me losing patience with you.

Do you think for a minute that America was without sin during the years when it saved the world from Fascism?

Do you think for a minute that Europe was without sin during the years of The Enlightenment?

The same question can be asked during every period of history, and the answer will always be the same: Of course not!

What is this wave of ugliness set in motion by the Bush Administration?

Gay Bashing?

There is actually an open societal debate on gay rights and gay marriages. A movie about gay cowboys almost won an Oscar. The world knows that the Vice President of the US has a lesbian daughter and that he loves here deeply. There is a state in which a gay couple can be legally married. There are numerous successful TV shows in which gay people are prominent characters. The SC of the US recently rendered an, arguably, pro-gay decision.

Gays have it better now then they have ever had it in America. That there is a sizeable number of people who believe the above paragraph describes degeneration rather than progress is something that is perfectly logical.

Governmentally Authorized Torture?

First of all you should acknowledge that your definition of torture is quite broad and that people who would reign it back a bit are not monsters. Sleep deprivation is not torture. Constant playing of loud music is not torture. Making someone think they might die is not torture.

If you want a definition of torture there are any number of regimes (including the former Iraqi regime) that can nail it.

Trying to equate holding a snarling dog before a prisoner, with breaking all of a prisoners fingers, or making him watch as his daughter is raped by prison guards, is ludicrous and makes your indignation over torture seem very shallow.

Secondly I would suggest that you climb down from your high horse and recognize that under certain conditions of extreme stress, people are capable of all sorts of things. For instance, if Mrs Blatham or Bernie's Latest Honey has been kidnapped and threatened with death, would Bernie be so careful to follow the rules if he got his hands on someone who knew where his loved one was taken?

No less a Liberal than Alan Dershowitz has advanced an ethical argument for torture. I don't expect you to agree with him, but you should acknowledge that someone with whom you might usually agree has found a reason to differ with you on this subject, and therefore it is not quite as absolute as you have thought.

Invasion of Privacy

If this resonates with you....give me a break.

There is no such thing as privacy in a digital world. Most Americans don't really care about this. It is an issue the Left uses because it can.

Surely there are ugly sticks being wielded by Bush that I have not referenced. Lay them out.

You are connected to a certain set of beliefs, and so am I.

At the utter core, one of us is right and one of us is wrong, but I am not convinced that someone who I like and respect can be outside my utter core.

Here is my prescription for you: Stop thinking of the world in such small bits of time and place.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 09:34 pm
blatham wrote:
Magginkat wrote:
blatham wrote:
finn said
Quote:

maggie

Look below

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid.

Friedrich Nietzsche
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 09:37 pm
blatham wrote:
Magginkat wrote:
blatham wrote:
finn said
Quote:

maggie

We really must meet

You are in NYC, no?

Unfortunately, I don't have business in NY (amazing as that may sound). I do, however, regularly fly to and from Bermuda through NYC.

Any reason to think you might be coming to Dallas in the near term?

If not, let's work something out in NY - via PM.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 09:46 pm
cjhsa wrote:

LOL-LOL-LOL!

I bet you can!

I might have found an affinity with the "Breasts not War, "These Are Berkley Tits!" demonstration if every set of protesting boobs didn't look like a pan of fried eggs.

Hey Libs...These geeks represent you. Care to disassociate?

PS: Did I really see a photo depicting an "Inflated Scrotum?" What's up with that ****? Pressurized Balls for Dafour?
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 12:45 pm
cjhsa wrote:

Nope but I would have no problem being part of a protest against that murdering thugh who squats in the oval office.
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 12:46 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
blatham wrote:
finn said
Quote:

Only by people like you Finn, who has one of the world's worst cases of self-imposed stupidity & ignorance.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 07:09 pm
Magginkat wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
blatham wrote:
finn said
Quote:

Only by people like you Finn, who has one of the world's worst cases of self-imposed stupidity & ignorance.

Thank you!
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 10:07 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

LOL-LOL-LOL!
I bet you can!
I might have found an affinity with the "Breasts not War, "These Are Berkley Tits!" demonstration if every set of protesting boobs didn't look like a pan of fried eggs.
PS: Did I really see a photo depicting an "Inflated Scrotum?" What's up with that ****? Pressurized Balls for Dafour?

Holy CRAP are there some scary lookin' people in those photos!

Come on, Finn, you know the majority of those people don't represent most "liberals." Those are the fringe groups. (Inflated scrotums? Dressing like a suicide bomber? ugh!)

Saying they represent libs is like saying Fred Phelps and his church (click) represent the right.

There are loonies on both sides. I consider myself somewhat "liberal," but the only thing I have in common with those loons is that I disagree with Bush on many things.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2006 01:36 am
JustanObserver wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

LOL-LOL-LOL!
I bet you can!

Holy CRAP are there some scary lookin' people in those photos!

Come on, Finn, you know the majority of those people don't represent most "liberals." Those are the fringe groups. (Inflated scrotums? Dressing like a suicide bomber? ugh!)

Saying they represent libs is like saying Fred Phelps and his church (click) represent the right.

There are loonies on both sides. I consider myself somewhat "liberal," but the only thing I have in common with those loons is that I disagree with Bush on many things.

You are correct to the extent that the vast majority of liberals are not the Liberals who drive me mad and who are featured in these photos.

Generally speaking though there are far less conservative who would tolerate, let alone, support Phelps than liberals who would decline to criticize Ward Churchill and Inflated Scrotum Man.

No doubt you will disagree, but then you will be wrong, and in any case that's what makes A2K worth returning to.
0 Replies