Give Me One (JUST ONE) Reason.....

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 01:37 pm
I agree. Marijuana does not in any way l;ead to heroin use. It is however quite helpful in taking the edge off a three day coke high that's overstayed it's welcome. Or so I remember hearing back in the day.

But we digress.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 01:39 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
You still don't comprehend correctly my incredibly simple statement that a bisexual, someone attracted to both men and women, could be influenced to choose one lifestyle or the other by his society. That this is true is laughably obvious. You say that this thesis is contradictory to my thesis that sexual orientation has a physical origin? Nonsense.

I understand your words, Brandon. You don't want to live in a society where children are taught tolerance of others and acceptance of who they are. If teaching tolerance and acceptance leads a "bisexual" person to make the choice that Brandon considers to be wrong (e.g., to choose to marry a person of the same sex rather than choose to marry a person of the opposite sex)--then dammit--that tolerance thing has to go and it's intolerance all the way. That's why we must prohibit gay marriage because doing so helps bisexuals to make the choice of lifestyle that Brandon thinks they ought to make.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 01:44 pm
BBB
Everyone except Boomerang is missing the real point. Boomerang got it right early in this thread. The real opposition to homosexual marriage is that it would cost employers a lot more money to provide medical coverage, insurance, etc. to homosexual married couples. Corporate America uses the religious right to fight their battles for them---as it usually does on a lot of issues that will cost them a lot of money.

What to see the issue diminish in importance quickly? Establish a single payer medical plan to cover every US citizen. When corporate America is no longer responsible providing health care insurance and it's costs, it will no longer object to homosexual marriage.

Then we will be left with those that oppose it based on religious reasons, which will not be acceptable to the vast majority of Americans.

BBB
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 01:50 pm
I don't necessarily disagree BBB, but I think that the confusion comes from those who disagree with gay marriage but would support gay unions.

At least, that's been the debate in Canada recently.

I think there is a certain crowd who are repulsed by the fact that gay Adam and Steve would be called the same thing as Mable and Frank. Mable and Frank want to ensure that they are still positively identifiable as a social group distinct from the b*ttfucking heathens next door.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 02:30 pm
I find it interesting that we can say "****" here but not whatever word you were trying to say. Must be a religious thing.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 02:59 pm
Re: BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
The real opposition to homosexual marriage is that it would cost employers a lot more money to provide medical coverage, insurance, etc. to homosexual married couples.

I disagree BBB. Due the rapidly rising medical costs, employers have long ago started to limit their contribution to medical coverage and required employees to pick up most of the tab of increased costs.

It is also a fact that many large corporations have voluntarily dropped the marriage requirement and now provide benefits to unmarried domestic partners of both straight and homosexual couples.

What most likely will be the case is that the employees themselves will pick up any additional costs of more lenient dependent definitions.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 03:19 pm
What a bunch of boneheads you all are. The reason for opposition to "gay rights" is the jellybean syndrome. Basically it comes down to Harry S Trumans nomination for president and the response from Dixiecrats/southern republicans and general racists assholes everywhere that developend the zero-sum logic of a jar of jellybeans. The logic is something like "there are 100 jellybeans in the jar (jellybeans representing civil/human rights) so that if some group (dominate) has x number of jellybeans out of a universe of say 100 jellybeans then the result of giving "civil/human" rights to others would be to lessen the number of jellybeans to themselves. So, by the reasoning of the times the idea of civil rights given to african americans would restrict the availibility of jellybeans for themselves. This funki*g illogic has been reborn in regard to gay rights such as equal treatment in licit relationships. This jellybean illogic is like a contamination among lesser brained primates and/or christians who thing farting is excersing their minds.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 03:44 pm
bingo!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 03:46 pm
also applies to illegal aliens
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 03:51 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
also applies to illegal aliens
Indeed it does Edgar
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 04:05 pm
Here's a photo of a gay marrie couple. Doesn't this just scare the HELL out of you???

http://billandkent.com/blog/blogimages/billandkent.jpg
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 04:07 pm
NickFun wrote:
Here's a photo of a gay marrie couple. Doesn't this just scare the HELL out of you???

http://billandkent.com/blog/blogimages/billandkent.jpg

I assumed it ws against the TOS to post images of anal copulation.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 06:07 am
Anti-gays rejoice, you have a powerful ally in Iran.
While we debate gay marriage here in the U.S., homosexuals in Iran just want to live another day. Even with all the changes in Iran, the punishment for acts of homosexuality is harsh and still quite active. For two men caught engaged in sodomy, the punishment is death. For women convicted of being lesbian, it is 100 lashes.
The Iranian government articulates it this way: "Homosexuality in Iran, treated according to the Islamic law, is a sin in the eyes of God and a crime for society." In Islam, homosexuality is among the worst possible sins. For that reason, even the electric chair seems tame when compared to the methods used to put homosexuals to death in Iran.
http://www.holisticwisdom.com/gays-iran.htm
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 06:18 am
detano inipo wrote:
While we debate gay marriage here in the U.S., homosexuals in Iran just want to live another day. Even with all the changes in Iran, the punishment for acts of homosexuality is harsh and still quite active. For two men caught engaged in sodomy, the punishment is death. For women convicted of being lesbian, it is 100 lashes.
The Iranian government articulates it this way: "Homosexuality in Iran, treated according to the Islamic law, is a sin in the eyes of God and a crime for society." In Islam, homosexuality is among the worst possible sins. For that reason, even the electric chair seems tame when compared to the methods used to put homosexuals to death in Iran.

Man, I am like so relieved to know that the US of A is not as bad as Iran. This puts my heart to rest.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 07:12 am
"No gay left behind."
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 07:27 am
dyslexia wrote:
detano inipo wrote:

Man, I am like so relieved to know that the US of A is not as bad as Iran. This puts my heart to rest.

Well that just goes to show that conservative religions have a lot in common, regardless of what the religion may be.

Ah, one thing you may want to consider. In this country we have a secular government. If Christianism were to take over the American government the US of A may be just as bad as Iran.

Let us not forget that in the days of our Founding Fathers homosexuality was punishable by death, not much different than Iran.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 08:02 am
candidone1 wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

No, you still are repeating my position innacurately, which is odd, since I've stated it simply a number of times now.

I never said that bisexuality is a lifestyle choice. I said that it's genetically coded.

*ahem*

The sheer idiocy of your position has reached a new height Brandon.
...and you act like I'm being thick.
Get over yourself, just once at least.

Try to keep personalities out of it, if you can manage. There is no contradiction whatever between these two statements. Whether or not to be bisexual is genetically coded. No one has a choice about that. What lifestyle the bisexual then leads is a matter of choice. This couldn't be any simpler.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 08:07 am
Debra_Law wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
You still don't comprehend correctly my incredibly simple statement that a bisexual, someone attracted to both men and women, could be influenced to choose one lifestyle or the other by his society. That this is true is laughably obvious. You say that this thesis is contradictory to my thesis that sexual orientation has a physical origin? Nonsense.

I understand your words, Brandon. You don't want to live in a society where children are taught tolerance of others and acceptance of who they are. If teaching tolerance and acceptance leads a "bisexual" person to make the choice that Brandon considers to be wrong (e.g., to choose to marry a person of the same sex rather than choose to marry a person of the opposite sex)--then dammit--that tolerance thing has to go and it's intolerance all the way. That's why we must prohibit gay marriage because doing so helps bisexuals to make the choice of lifestyle that Brandon thinks they ought to make.

You talk as though I want to remove some longstanding right. I hate to bring this to your attention, but no government in human history, to the best of my knowledge, has ever officially endorsed gay marriage. I just don't want to change the species long status quo.

Furthermore, no one wants the law to endorse things that he personally considers wrong. I'll accept the will of the voters, but I hope that they agree with me.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 08:10 am
Re: BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Everyone except Boomerang is missing the real point. Boomerang got it right early in this thread. The real opposition to homosexual marriage is that it would cost employers a lot more money to provide medical coverage, insurance, etc. to homosexual married couples. Corporate America uses the religious right to fight their battles for them---as it usually does on a lot of issues that will cost them a lot of money.

What to see the issue diminish in importance quickly? Establish a single payer medical plan to cover every US citizen. When corporate America is no longer responsible providing health care insurance and it's costs, it will no longer object to homosexual marriage.

Then we will be left with those that oppose it based on religious reasons, which will not be acceptable to the vast majority of Americans.

BBB

I'm not an emoloyer or a manager, and I am an atheist, but I'm opposed to government endorsement of gay marrriage.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 08:12 am
detano inipo wrote:

The fact that they're nuts doesn't make gay mariage right.
0 Replies