Give Me One (JUST ONE) Reason.....

ehBeth

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 02:02 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Children growing up might simply be told that someday they would marry another person, rather than a person of the opposite sex. I don't want to live in that society, and, therefore, I oppose every step in that direction.

I await a flurry of posts putting words in my mouth that I neither said nor intended.

I'm still puzzling over what's wrong with telling children that someday they'll be able to marry someone they love.

I always thought that was one of the great things about Western societies. Arranged marriage is just so old-school and unevolved.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 02:52 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Children growing up might simply be told that someday they would marry another person, rather than a person of the opposite sex. I don't want to live in that society, and, therefore, I oppose every step in that direction.

I await a flurry of posts putting words in my mouth that I neither said nor intended.

I'm still puzzling over what's wrong with telling children that someday they'll be able to marry someone they love.

I always thought that was one of the great things about Western societies. Arranged marriage is just so old-school and unevolved.

You are completely misunderstanding what I said, either innocently or as a ploy. I have certainly not said anything in favor of arranged marriages. That's absurd. What I am saying is that this legal change would not be the last one. This is probably simply one in a chain of changes, extending over the years, with the end goal of giving homosexuality exactly the same status in society as heterosexuality. In the end, after a long sequence of such changes, society might be transformed beyond recognition. I am not saying that a child might simply be told that he could marry who he wanted. I am saying that all children might grow up in a world in which there was no particular expectation that he/she would marry someone of the opposite sex, nor any preference for that, and in some distant future, perhaps, not much memory that such was once the norm. Naturally, even in such a scenario, most people would marry people of the opposite gender, just because most people are heterosexual. However, bisexuals, who could be persuaded in either direction, who today usually marry people of the opposite sex because that's what's considered normal, might then marry people of the same or opposite sex with equal frequency.

Anyone who thinks that we just legalize this one thing and that's the end of the matter is shortsighted.

I find it annoying that my posts are so routinely twisted into something so clearly unrelated to what I said.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 02:57 pm
Oh I think most of us understand the intent behind your posts just fine.......and if calling you on it annoys you... well then, as your hero would say... mission accomplished. Laughing
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 03:00 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Sorry, I don't accept that. There are reasons for likes or dislikes; they are not spontaneous emotions that arise from nowhere.

What specifically about a society in which gays were allowed to marry would you dislike, or not want to live in? Or is it some latent homophobia speaking, which you can't write out loud? Just wondering.

Cycloptichorn

I have nothing whatever against people with birth defects, and I believe that people are all equal, but I need not consider birth defects normal. Your assertion that I cannot start from a system of values, but must justify it is incorrect. Values are a starting point, not something you deduce. I may have the values I have for a reason, but that's irrelevant. I like our culture the way it is, or, at least the part of it connected to gender. Your typical assumption that anyone who doesn't believe in government sponsorship of gay marriage must be a homophobe is the easy way out of this argument for you, but incorrect.

You are quite incorrect here. Values are not absolutes that are born of nothing.

Homosexuality isn't a birth defect, and you are a bigot for claiming that it is. There is no percievable difference between a homosexual and a heterosexual; no physical differences, no brainwave differences, no mental unstableness of psychoses. Or, is the fact that it is a 'birth defect' also a value which is unneccessary for you to support?

Later on you state

Quote:
This is probably simply one in a chain of changes, extending over the years, with the end goal of giving homosexuality exactly the same status in society as heterosexuality.

Of course it is. Can you give me a good reason why it shouldn't be?

It's like saying the civil rights movement was merely an attempt to give blacks the same status as whites.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 03:41 pm
I have read that there is a difference in the brains hypothalmic structure between heterosexuals and homosexuals. But that does not make it a "defect". It simply means people are who they are.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 06:05 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
candidone1 wrote:
I have read your post Brandon.
Here is what you have stated:

Brandon9000 wrote:
In my opinion, homosexuality is a birth defect

Birth Defect=a defect that is present at birth. Can occur during fetal development or through the birthing process.

Brandon9000 wrote:
I do think it's purely physical and not learned

Purely physical and not learned=there is a genetic predisposition for homosexuality completely independent from any environmental influences or individual choices.

Brandon9000 wrote:
but there are undoubtedly people who can go either way.

Go either way?
If homosexuality is, strictly speaking, a birth defect, or something innate but not learned, then how might someone go about "going either way".
If homosexuality is, as you propose, a birth defect, then there is a predisposition toward homosexuality and their orientation is predetermined, not by environmental influences, rather, by genetics.
It's analogous to arguing that someone may, at birth or afterward, become either male or female.
Brandon, you are incorrect in your thesis. If homosexuality is a "birth defect", it is not unlike an individual's gender and it will not be altered by the environment.
When dealing with genetics, all maters of choice vanish.

Brandon9000 wrote:
Children growing up might simply be told that someday they would marry another person, rather than a person of the opposite sex.

Unless you are referring to a child being instructed while in the fetus as to what their sexual orientation is, you have contradicted yourself.

So, according to you, someone can't be born bisexual? Such a person might be capable of being influenced by his society.

That red herring was certainly never the issue germane to the discussion.
Besides, the mere suggestion that one could be talked into homosexuality by society is both
1. Completely contradictory to your central thesis that homosexuality is a genetic predisposition/birth defect.
2. Completely laughable. It's not like we're talking about eating worms.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 06:37 pm
As replulsive as it sounds, worms are edible and provide many nutirents.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 07:10 pm
Oh, gee. A society where we choose a partner out of love, after the manner of our choosing. What a radical concept. That's sure to destroy civilization.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 10:16 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
Oh I think most of us understand the intent behind your posts just fine.......and if calling you on it annoys you... well then, as your hero would say... mission accomplished. Laughing

Of course, the intent behind my posts couldn't possibly be what I said it was. It is more or less an admission of defeat by you that you cannot argue simply on the basis of what I say, but require me to have secret bad motives in order for you to be able to make a defense of your position.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 10:20 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Sorry, I don't accept that. There are reasons for likes or dislikes; they are not spontaneous emotions that arise from nowhere.

What specifically about a society in which gays were allowed to marry would you dislike, or not want to live in? Or is it some latent homophobia speaking, which you can't write out loud? Just wondering.

Cycloptichorn

I have nothing whatever against people with birth defects, and I believe that people are all equal, but I need not consider birth defects normal. Your assertion that I cannot start from a system of values, but must justify it is incorrect. Values are a starting point, not something you deduce. I may have the values I have for a reason, but that's irrelevant. I like our culture the way it is, or, at least the part of it connected to gender. Your typical assumption that anyone who doesn't believe in government sponsorship of gay marriage must be a homophobe is the easy way out of this argument for you, but incorrect.

You are quite incorrect here. Values are not absolutes that are born of nothing.

Homosexuality isn't a birth defect, and you are a bigot for claiming that it is. There is no percievable difference between a homosexual and a heterosexual; no physical differences, no brainwave differences, no mental unstableness of psychoses....

Cycloptichorn

So, you believe that homosexuality is learned? Because it has to be one or the other, either physical or learned. For stating that the origin is physical, I am merely correct, and being correct cannot be construed as being bigoted. You can call me a bigot for stating that being born without an arm is physical if you want to, but it's simply the truth.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 10:24 pm
candidone1 wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
candidone1 wrote:
I have read your post Brandon.
Here is what you have stated:

Brandon9000 wrote:
In my opinion, homosexuality is a birth defect

Birth Defect=a defect that is present at birth. Can occur during fetal development or through the birthing process.

Brandon9000 wrote:
I do think it's purely physical and not learned

Purely physical and not learned=there is a genetic predisposition for homosexuality completely independent from any environmental influences or individual choices.

Brandon9000 wrote:
but there are undoubtedly people who can go either way.

Go either way?
If homosexuality is, strictly speaking, a birth defect, or something innate but not learned, then how might someone go about "going either way".
If homosexuality is, as you propose, a birth defect, then there is a predisposition toward homosexuality and their orientation is predetermined, not by environmental influences, rather, by genetics.
It's analogous to arguing that someone may, at birth or afterward, become either male or female.
Brandon, you are incorrect in your thesis. If homosexuality is a "birth defect", it is not unlike an individual's gender and it will not be altered by the environment.
When dealing with genetics, all maters of choice vanish.

Brandon9000 wrote:
Children growing up might simply be told that someday they would marry another person, rather than a person of the opposite sex.

Unless you are referring to a child being instructed while in the fetus as to what their sexual orientation is, you have contradicted yourself.

So, according to you, someone can't be born bisexual? Such a person might be capable of being influenced by his society.

That red herring was certainly never the issue germane to the discussion.
Besides, the mere suggestion that one could be talked into homosexuality by society is both
1. Completely contradictory to your central thesis that homosexuality is a genetic predisposition/birth defect.
2. Completely laughable. It's not like we're talking about eating worms.

You still don't comprehend correctly my incredibly simple statement that a bisexual, someone attracted to both men and women, could be influenced to choose one lifestyle or the other by his society. That this is true is laughably obvious. You say that this thesis is contradictory to my thesis that sexual orientation has a physical origin? Nonsense.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 10:25 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Oh, gee. A society where we choose a partner out of love, after the manner of our choosing. What a radical concept. That's sure to destroy civilization.

Well, I'd say it's radical considering that it has never been adopted by any society in the history of mankind.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 01:20 am
For the life ofme I cannot figure out the quest to learn the "root cause" of homosexulaity.

It is there.
Accept it
Move on
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 07:01 am
If something is only 50% successful, should it be held up as the only solution?
The divorce rate in the US is 50%. Why do politicians praise it as the cure-all it most certainly is not?
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 07:50 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
You still don't comprehend correctly my incredibly simple statement that a bisexual, someone attracted to both men and women, could be influenced to choose one lifestyle or the other by his society. That this is true is laughably obvious. You say that this thesis is contradictory to my thesis that sexual orientation has a physical origin? Nonsense.

Brandon, the misinterpretation of your seemingly straightforward post can in no way be attributed as a fault of my own.
You explicity stated and defended your own position that homosexuality was a birth defect. Now you have given an ex post facto defense of bisexuality as a product of the environment.
Now, it is either a birth defect, or it is learned.
It is not both.

You have also weakened you position by claiming that sexual orientation has a "physical origin", which can be manipulated depending on your interpretation of "physical origin" and what one regards as the physical.

Now, bisexuality is and includes homosexual behavior (meaning, having sex with someone of the same sex). That an individual is willing to have sex with both genders is, by your assessment, something learned or influenced by society.
Do you wish to claim that homosexuality is a birth defect and a learned response, because that is, in fact, what you have claimed no matter how silly you make me out to be.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 08:05 am
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
I was just trying on some bigoted, over-generalizing rhetoric to see how it fits. It's a little snug around the ass, as usual.

snug in the ass.. isn't this kind of what this thread has been about?

Laughing Laughing Laughing

You are a bad, bad man....
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 08:46 am
the prince wrote:
For the life ofme I cannot figure out the quest to learn the "root cause" of homosexulaity.

It is there.
Accept it
Move on

DING DING DING

we have a winner..
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 09:38 am
I thought it went:

We're here
We're queer
Wanna get a beer?
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 10:06 am
DrewDad wrote:
I thought it went:

We're here
We're queer
Wanna get a beer?

Oh the pub is closed
Very bad luck
Come to my place
and let's ***k
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 10:57 am
Brandon,

Even if it is a physical differnce at birth, for you to claim that it is a 'defect' is bigotry. Can you refute this?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies