How To Prevent This From Happening Again?

Scrat

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 07:44 am
CodeBorg wrote:
Are we associating terrorists with migrant farm workers now?

No, we are saying that the same porous borders can be crossed by both groups, and that's bad.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 07:49 am
  • It is necessary to adjust quantity of immigrants to capacity of the labor market in order to avoid excessive offer of workers: this has negative effect on salaries
  • Security screening of immigrants' background cannot be considered unnecessary in the period of war against terror
0 Replies

anastasia

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 10:21 am
Immigration, I am sorry to tell you, can NOT be controlled. <nods> It can be regulated, but not controlled.

um ... that's just my opinion. why do I always state these things as facts?

stasia
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 11:46 am
Immigration can be controlled: states like the former GDR proved that.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 12:04 pm
Why GDR? Is anyone that wants to immigrate to FRG can do this without any problems? I have serious doubts: taking into consideration the high living standards of Germany, such a situation would soon lead to Germans becoming a minority there...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 12:29 pm
steissd

Why GDR? Because they virtually only led those immigrate, who they wanted to - and there weren't a lot of ways to do so unseen!

At least citizens of the EU have no problem at all 'immigrating' to Germany: there is the right of free settlement in the European Union.

And until today, everyone, who has got a job, can immigrate to Germany.

Getting the German citizenship takes a little bit longer, but isn't difficult either.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 01:39 pm
Some news here about a trial in Europe
Human smuggling trial opens
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 23 May, 2003 01:46 pm
I do not mean the EU citizens, they can live and in any country of the union. I know that majority of Israelis (mainly, immigrants from the USSR) that wanted to apply for immigration visa to Germany, were responded by the embassy employee that the country did not have immigration programs for Israelis.
0 Replies

anastasia

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 06:47 am
Walter ... <smiles> WHO wanted to immigrate to the GDR, though? <g> And, really, my contention is that immigration can be reglulated with laws and those laws can be carried out, but there will always be a way for people to get into the country, if they want to - there will always be a black job. That's the way the world works. Immigration can only be controlled by not allowing anyone in at all, I think. I mean, and even then, there are ways for people to sneak in. (Although I doubt anyone much would choose to go live in a country that has laws like that.)

I don't know.

stasia
0 Replies

anastasia

Reply Sat 24 May, 2003 05:17 pm
my contention is that it doesn't *really* need to be controlled - just fairly regulated. the rest will work itself out. people will go to a country illegally, start at some low-level black job - integrate into society - or realize that they can't get anywhere in their new society as an illegal immigrant and go back.

or something.

stasia
0 Replies