How To Prevent This From Happening Again?

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 08:14 am
Truck driver charged after 18 people die after beind locked in trailer

By T.A. Badger,

Associated Press, 5/15/2003 08:59

VICTORIA, Texas (AP) Locked inside the back of a sweltering, airless semitrailer, a large group of illegal immigrants tried desperately to save themselves.

One dialed 911 on a cell phone and pleaded for help in Spanish. But by the time a South Texas police dispatcher found someone to translate, the call had been lost.

Minutes later, one hung a bandanna out of a hole in the trailer's back door as it sped north on U.S. Highway 77. Another motorist saw the signal, but his mobile phone wasn't working, so he couldn't call authorities in time.

When the trailer's door was opened early Wednesday, 17 people in the illicit cargo had lost their lives in one of the deadliest cases of human smuggling in U.S. history. Another died several hours later.

''This is a serious, serious crime,'' Bob Wallis, the region's top immigration official, said Wednesday at the truck stop outside Victoria, where sheriff's deputies made the gruesome discovery.

A federal complaint filed Thursday charged the truck's driver, Tyrone Williams of Schenectady, N.Y., with transporting and harboring aliens and conspiracy to transport and harbor aliens, Victoria County District Attorney M.P. ''Dexter'' Eaves told The Associated Press.

He said Williams would go before a federal magistrate in Houston Thursday. Two other people believed to have accompanied Williams were also sought, with the possibility of other suspects to be identified.

Williams' wife, Karen, told the Houston Chronicle in a story for its online edition that her husband normally hauls watermelons from the border to the Northeast. She said he told her the trailer was hijacked and that he dropped the trailer ''for his own safety and ran.''

Williams likely will also face state charges, Eaves said Thursday.

''We want to get every bit of justice for these guys,'' he said. ''I want this insurance for these 18 people that they did not die in vain. I want an accounting.''

Thirteen bodies were found inside the trailer Wednesday morning and four others were on the ground just outside. A boy, 5 or 6 years old, was among the dead.

The smugglers apparently unhitched the trailer at the Victoria truck stop, about 175 miles from the Mexican border, and drove off. Insulation around several small holes in the back door was scraped away, suggesting the immigrants from Mexico and Central America had tried to claw their way to more air.

''In desperation, the people said they broke out the truck's taillights, to try and attract someone's attention and perhaps get some air,'' said Marco Nunez, press officer for Eduardo Ibarrola, Mexico's consul in Houston. Ibarrola interviewed some of the survivors.

Some of the victims were said to have torn off their clothes because of the unbearable heat.

The 911 call came in to police in Kingsville, 100 miles south of Victoria, just before midnight Tuesday from a Spanish speaker on a cellular phone. There was lots of yelling and background noise.

Police Chief Sam Granato said the dispatcher passed the call to someone who spoke Spanish, but the call was cut off and the number couldn't be traced. But after listening to a digital recording, Granato said police were able to hear the man saying that people were suffocating.

''He kept saying that over and over again,'' said Granato, adding that the man also said ''help me'' and ''there's nine down.''

Granato said someone traveling on the highway called police to report seeing a hand waving a bandanna out of a hole in the back of a white 18-wheeler with New York plates. Granato said it wasn't until a teletype came in from Victoria on Wednesday afternoon about the white 18-wheeler that dispatchers connected the calls.

It was the deadliest immigrant-smuggling attempt in the United States in more than 15 years. In 1987, the Border Patrol found 18 Mexican immigrants dead in a boxcar left on a rail siding in the West Texas town of Sierra Blanca.

Asa Hutchinson, undersecretary for border and transportation security at the Homeland Security Department, said the federal agency would help catch those involved.

The trailer had arrived at the truck stop about an hour before authorities got a call about an unspecified disturbance there around 2 a.m., Victoria County Sheriff Michael Ratcliff said.

Some of the 39 survivors in U.S. custody told consular officials sent to interview them that smugglers had loaded them aboard the trailer Tuesday in Harlingen, Texas.

While the trailer was being pulled apparently toward Houston the refrigerated truck's air conditioning worked well. But when the driver unhooked his cab and abandoned the trailer, the cramped container quickly became an airless tomb.

The ''vast majority'' of the immigrants are from Mexico, though there are also people from El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras, Nunez said.

Michael Shelby, U.S. attorney in Houston, said more than 100 people had been packed into the trailer.

Ratcliff said four of them were hospitalized in Victoria with heat-related injuries, while another 40 were staying at a temporary shelter in the city. He said authorities bought a cake for a 15-year-old girl who was rescued on her birthday.

Jerrel Robinowich, spokesman for DeTar Hospital Navarro, said the trailer had little or no ventilation ''and you can just imagine the consequences of that.''

The National Weather Service said it was 74 degrees with 93 percent humidity at 2 a.m. Wednesday. The high Tuesday was 91, one degree shy of a record for the date.

Boston Globe Online

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,424 • Replies: 109
No top replies

Scrat

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 10:44 am
For my part I plan to never ride in the closed cargo container of a truck.

(In case you missed it, my point is that we can't always save people from the tragic repercussions of the decisions they make.)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 10:56 am
Scrat- It is such a pleasure to hear from someone who does not accede to the victim mentality so pervasive in our society today!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 10:56 am
So, what, the drivers shouldn't be tracked down and skinned?
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 10:58 am
Well, these dead immigrants are, IMO, candidates for Darwin Prize. It is necessary to be a complete idiot for not to realize dangers of travelling in the hermetically closed metallic container in May in the southern areas of the USA.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 10:59 am
Patiodog- Yes they should be prosecuted. They are smugglers, have broken the law, and have caused deaths. That is an entirely separate issue though, to the one that Scrat & I mentioned!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 11:14 am
A very stupid decision, to be sure. On the other hand, the decision to get onto a hermetically sealed metal tube that will be flying 30,000 feet above the ground also turns out to be a stupid one if the pilot fails to uphold his end of the contract to transport the passengers safely to their destination. Legal or illegal, I very much doubt that, upon arranging the transport, anybody ever said, "Remember, folks, there's a chance that I'm going to ditch you on the side of the road" any more than the folks who got on board that Egypt Air flight a couple of years back were warned, "There's a chance that the pilot is going to point this plane toward the earth and kill you all."
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 11:23 am
Since I misunterpreted in joke in another thread and got a stupid reply from another participant, I might be on a wrong track here as well:

it was well known during the cold war that anyone trying to leave the GDR "illegally" was shot by the communists border troops (mostly, at least).
So some think, all the refugees were candidates for rhe Darwin Prize as well? And the -former- border soldiers were wrongly sentenced for murder/manslaughter after 1990?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 11:23 am
Heh heh...stoopid immigrants....(having a great Homer Simpson moment)
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 11:33 am
Well, to remain alive, these immigrants (Mexican, and not East German) could have tried another way that is much more safe: to apply for a working visa to the USA. If they get a negative answer, this means that the U.S. does not need them. What for do they try to get there by all means?
I admit that living standards in Mexico are lower than these in the USA, but economic situation there is far from being disastrous, that dictates escape attempts at any price.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 11:36 am
Why did people cross the Bering Straits? Our species is hardwired to seek out new opportunity, to roam, to be nomadic. What for did Moses take all those people out into the desert?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 11:38 am
steissd,

The reasons are varied, and most know of the dangers but out of desperation are motivated to confront them. Some would point at the fact that they submitted themselves to the danger as the only issue but I am more saddened by the situations that drive them to such undertakings.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 11:41 am
Patiodog- Every decision entails risks. It is up to the individual to decide for himself whether the risk outweighs the good that might come from it.
There are certain decisions where the risks far outweigh the gain. A person has a right to take that risk, but be prepared for the consequences!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 11:41 am
Additionally, most border crossings (like most flights) are undertaken successfully. The vast majority of the "smugglers" have a vested interest in seeing people make it alive: word-of-mouth advertising is the best kind, especially in an illegal business. I can only think of the person who left them there to die as a sick, sick bastard.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 11:42 am
I could have understood if they were citizens of North Korea: people there literally starve. Situation in Mexico is not so much severe to make people to do everything possibe and impossible in order to penetrate to the USA risking being arrested and even to die of suffocation and dehydration.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 11:42 am
Without any desire to place blame for the following I note that it is tragic that so many pleas for help failed.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 11:43 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Patiodog- Every decision entails risks. It is up to the individual to decide for himself whether the risk outweighs the good that might come from it.
There are certain decisions where the risks far outweigh the gain. A person has a right to take that risk, but be prepared for the consequences!

Of course it is. And I'm thankful that I've been fortunate enough to survive all of my less-than-wise decisions. But the transition to "How can we prevent this from happening" to "victim mentality" seems like a bit of a knee-jerk reaction to me.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 11:44 am
Phoenix,

I think you are exhibiting a callous disregard for at least one life. There was a child involved.

Steissd,

"Situation in Mexico is not so much severe to make people risk their lives in order to penetrate to the USA risking being arrested and even to die of suffocation and dehydration."

To many it is. I don't seek to explain their desperation, people differ in what drives them.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 11:46 am
Not all were from Mexico, either. I think mass graves in El Salvador and Guatemala might point to living conditions that are less than ideal.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 11:46 am
steissd wrote:
Situation in Mexico is not so much severe to make people to do everything possibe and impossible in order to penetrate to the USA risking being arrested and even to die of suffocation and dehydration.

As patiodog already said, they had no particular reason to think that their trip would be unsuccessful. I will risk death by suffocation (among other things) when I board a metal tube and hurtle towards Iowa in a few weeks, but I assess the risk as being low enough that the benefits -- arriving at the destination quickly -- outweigh the risks. While Mexican immigrants have a higher risk, they also stand to gain greater benefits.
0 Replies