Pepsi Upsets Religion Again

satt fs

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 06:41 am
The word "nova" (new star) is in a spanish dictionary. The accent is at the first syllable.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 08:47 am
It's a terrible car.

The El Camino, on the other hand...
0 Replies

anastasia

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 08:58 am
<smiles>

how about the pinto?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 08:59 am
Guatam -- Even I, a pagan, could be offended by those sandles. What's the point? Obviously it is to grossly offend someone.

Putting your foot or shoe on someone in the Islamic culture is one of their worst insults. It is nasty in this one, too. That goes far beyond the advertising concept of adults standing around drinking a soda. Geez, if you did something similar with an image of Allah (which of course, you couldn't, since that is another taboo), you'd have your body sliced into tiny pieces and left for the crows.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 09:02 am
Piffka- I agree. Those sandals were grossly insensitive.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 09:05 am
And that is precisly my point. Different things can be offensive to different people !! In Pakistan, an image of a man and a woman together is as offensive to the local populace as the sandals with Jesus on them !!

There is no way you can close yr eyes to the cultural/social senstivities of the particular region. It is not specific to Islam, as some people tend to imply !!!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 09:06 am
I'm not offended by either. I have very little culture.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 09:13 am
One of the things that are taught to corporate executives who travel outside his/her home country are the mores and sensibilities of different cultures. One cannot assume that what is good manners in one country is perceived the same way in another. Pepsi screwed up, big time!
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 09:15 am
patiodog wrote:
It's a terrible car.

The El Camino, on the other hand...

Very true...I owned one, ( NOVA) at one time. THe engine wouldn't shut off. Gas...Gas...Gas!! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 09:17 am
anastasia wrote:
<smiles>

how about the pinto?

Wasn't that the car that exploded when it hit another car? Cool
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 09:19 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
One of the things that are taught to corporate executives who travel outside his/her home country are the mores and sensibilities of different cultures. One cannot assume that what is good manners in one country is perceived the same way in another. Pepsi screwed up, big time!

Will this affect PEPSI? WHere are the major markets for PEP products?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 09:20 am
The Pinto had a gas tank mounted at the rear of the car. It had flammability issues when hit from behind. (Talk about "marketing" problems.)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 09:24 am
Yes, Guatam, but it is natural for men and women to be together. I don't give a hoot, I will never, ever go to a Muslim country. It's against my religion.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 09:26 am
I'd like to visit Israel and Egypt. Will I ever get that chance? Smile
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 09:31 am
Piffka wrote:
Yes, Guatam, but it is natural for men and women to be together. I don't give a hoot, I will never, ever go to a Muslim country. It's against my religion.

Yeah, but it is a no no in public !!! No one is preventing them to be together in private !!!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 09:57 am
Actually, from what I've read... that's not quite true. If a woman is "caught" in private with somebody who isn't her spouse and a family member, a woman can be stoned to death (or gang-raped by those nice elders who make these decisions).

Maybe that's why so many people of Muslim descent have moved away from Pakistan, etc. And where have they moved to? The Scandinavian countries which have amazingly open views on sex. France, ditto. London... I don't know why, the weather? And lots have even come to the evil empire of North America.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 09:58 am
Piffka wrote:
Actually, from what I've read... that's not quite true. If a woman is "caught" in private with somebody who isn't her spouse and a family member, a woman can be stoned to death (or gang-raped by those nice elders who make these decisions).

Now we are talking abt a different issue altogether !!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 10:11 am
This is a different issue -- do you think so? If a man and a woman are found in private in a Muslim country, I've been told they're assumed to have done the nasty. Isn't that what this is all about? The implication is that a woman with a man... or two men, as this stupid advertisement portrayed... is a hussy who deserves the worst. These good Muslim laws allow for them to bury her in sand and stone her to death. Nice. Real nice.

My stand is, I don't like fundamentalists of any sort, I don't like Pepsi and I especially don't like people who feel they have the right to fuss about what others do with their sex lives. I am so glad I have the means to avoid all three. I wish everybody did.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 10:16 am
Piffka wrote:
I will never, ever go to a Muslim country. It's against my religion.

Piffka

To be honest, for an European this sounds very strongly fundamencalistic.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 10:26 am
Really, Walter? Why?

My desire to not go to a Muslim country doesn't have to do with religion, just the desire to protect myself. I am sure that I would do something to irritate the locals and possibly get myself in trouble. Anyway, if I'm going to spend my money on traveling, I'd sure prefer to go someplace where I feel comfortable.
0 Replies