Pepsi Upsets Religion Again

patiodog

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 12:23 pm
In Rome.

I was in Des Moines at the time.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 12:25 pm
In many traditional Muslim societies exists very wrong idea on the values of the Western civilization. They erroneously consider Western people being promiscuous, rejecting family values, etc. Therefore, they reject many signs of the Western way of life (often taking the marginal ones, like McDonald's and Coke for essential symbols). It is also possible that this allegedly "grassroot" uproar was masterminded by people that have no delusions, but they want to make a political career on the wave of disorders.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 12:28 pm
steissd wrote:
In many traditional Muslim societies exists very wrong idea on the values of the Western civilization. They erroneously consider Western people being promiscuous, rejecting family values, etc. Therefore, they reject many signs of the Western way of life (often taking the marginal ones, like McDonald's and Coke for essential symbols). It is also possible that this allegedly "grassroot" uproar was masterminded by people that have no delusions, but they want to make a political career on the wave of disorders.

They watch NYPDBlue and think that all pretty woman MDs in the ER want to seduce young NYCity cops and rip their clothes from their bodies.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 12:28 pm
speaking of Romas......"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3026353.stm
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 12:30 pm
New Haven wrote:
patiodog wrote:
As a somewhat young lad a gypsy woman reached deeply into my front pocket in Rome. What an odd mix of emotions that stirred up...

So, when in Roma...

Where was that POCKET located?

Jacket or pants?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 12:37 pm
Pants.

Quote:
Brussels has no power to change the deep-rooted prejudices of the Slovak population. But once Slovakia joins the European club, Bratislava will be expected to play by the rules on minorities and equal rights.

Um, anti-Roma sentiment is by no means confined to Slovakia...
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 12:37 pm
New Haven wrote:
They watch NYPDBlue and think that all pretty woman MDs in the ER want to seduce young NYCity cops and rip their clothes from their bodies.

That is what happens. They take soap operas as realistic movies and think that all the spare time Americans spend on illicit sex out of wedlock. Well, if Israeli ultra-Orthodoxes consider any young man having tatoo or piercing being a homosexual, and any young woman in open dress being a streetwalker, I should not expect less degree of prejudices from their Muslim counterparts...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 12:41 pm
Which brings up the question: who controls the airwaves, and to what ends?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 12:42 pm
Pdog - of course not! But, Dagmaraka has been working to help them out. Actually, if you go to that link, there is a list of related articles.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 12:43 pm
patiodog wrote:
Which brings up the question: who controls the airwaves, and to what ends?

Federal Gov
Advertizers
People to buy the advertised products
People who watch the shows
Net Works
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 12:49 pm
li'l k -- oops. am in the habit of ignoring stuff in frames.

new haven -- specifically, who controls programming in, say, Pakistan. Is it state run or driven by consumerism. I talked to an Iraqi immigrant a few months ago who said that people's perception of the rest of the world changed a great deal (though I couldn't get a definitive answer about what these changes were) when they got access to "western" TV via satellite.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 12:57 pm
patiodog wrote:
li'l k -- oops. am in the habit of ignoring stuff in frames.

new haven -- specifically, who controls programming in, say, Pakistan. Is it state run or driven by consumerism. I talked to an Iraqi immigrant a few months ago who said that people's perception of the rest of the world changed a great deal (though I couldn't get a definitive answer about what these changes were) when they got access to "western" TV via satellite.

In Pakistan, I'd guess the Mullahs.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 09:29 pm
It is wise to study the DEMOGRAPHICS of an area
PRIOR TO launching an advertising blitz & spending
exorbitant amounts of money - neon signs Laughing Laughing
It would sound as if Pepsi Cola either has some
totally stupid people in charge of their media
advertising in non American cultures...or maybe
they deliberately are in cohoots with GWBush to
give the US another reason to go over there and
destroy a little more of that country than we have
already. This way, we/they will ALL make so much
more more money $$$$$$ on the backswing, when
all those government contracts come flowing thru,
there will be green fingers all over Washington DC;
whadya think? :wink:
0 Replies

anastasia

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 04:50 am
I have one thing to say.

Chevy NO-VA.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 04:58 am
anastasia- You have said it all! Very Happy
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 05:17 am
Ok someone pls explain the Chevy NO-VA joke to me !!!

New Haven, I find some of yr comments abt the Islamic culture amusing Smile. Relgious sensibilities are not a feature of the Islamic/Hindu cultures only. When something is revered ina culture, almost anyone who either makes fun of it or uses it for commercial means is asking for trouble.

Case in point -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3028931.stm
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 05:51 am
Gautam- Chevrolet had a model called the Nova which was very popular in the US. Chevy decided to export some of the cars to Mexico. The car didn't sell at all. Then someone figured out why. Seems that "no va" in Spanish, means "It doesn't go"! Laughing
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 05:53 am
Oh right !! I could see that being a problem Laughing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 05:55 am
This is sooo funny. I just found out that the Nova story is an urban legend!

http://www.snopes.com/business/misxlate/nova.htm
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 06:00 am
Laughing Maybe they were just bad cars !!
0 Replies