Lola's Salon

blatham

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 12:04 pm
http://www.chubb.com/common/mp_img/townhouse.gif

LOLA'S SALON

(excerpted from The New Yorker 'Around the Town' item 'Ethel's Cafe Updated' November 3, 2002 issue)

You're in New York and it's nighttime and it's raining so goddamned hard and noisy that the city seems like it's soundless and your cabby's fat nose is tight up against the cold windshield and he's making like he can actually
see anything through two inches of water so he's not bothering you with
conversation and it's all so weirdly peaceful that you wonder if this is
that quiet space just before a delivery truck washes through a red light and
takes you out but it's ok because you're going to die warm and if you're like me and you start
thinking about dying warm then probably the next thing your going to start thinking about is making love with Lola.

Anyway, let me tell you about Lola's salon. 427 Waverly, just off Washington Square
Park. One of those ritzy brownstones. Shove a tip at your cabby through
his window and get up the stone stairs and out of the goddamned rain and
there's no buzzer so don't bother looking for one. If you don't have a
walking stick then bash the door with that fancy brass knocker that Lola
probably sweet talked from some Austrian count who didn't get anything in
return except the smell of her up real close and the idea that he was the
sexiest man in town and that's not a bad deal in my book. But I'll give you a tip,
bub, when you knock on that door, do it like you are proud of who you are,
because anything less and Withers is going to take his time getting to you. Withers is a butler with standards. Let's say you do it right and
you get in quick and you grab a fat Cuban from the tray inside the
entranceway, or, if you're of Lola's persuasion...no, can that description,
not many are...if you're the soft curvy gender, then you might want to slip into
the powder room and spruce up and check with Lola's maid Fifi to make sure
everything is twisted around straight. You'll like Fifi, she's got an eye.
The men like Fifi too, but it's different.

So now you've got your Cuban that tastes like it was rolled by Fidel's
personal staff or your hair and your tits are looking as good as Fifi's
surprising Brooklyn artistry can achieve and you head in to see who's at Lola's
tonight. And here's where the good stuff starts because I've got this
theory that Lola's salon is like a sort of gravity well for cool people. I
mean, you're here, aren't you? You walk into the drawing room and you are
as likely to bump into someone playing Rhapsody in Blue on Lola's grand as a
crowd of folks smoking good dope and standing lined up in a loud and
serious hand-eye coordination contest aiming hors d'oeuvres at a pinned up
photo of George Bush. Maybe you shake a few hands. Maybe you're the
perceptive sort - that sort is common here - and you pick up right away on a
certain sensual energy that's as rich and comfortable as the deep dark red
carpet you're standing on and you wonder if you've got the courage to flirt
as much as you know is likely to happen here whether you're part of it or
not. But the buzz of voices coming from Lola's huge living will draw you
sooner or later. You walk in and one look tells you that these chairs and
sofas are so comfortable that you'd probably lift your own sweet ailing grandmother out
of one and plunk her down onto the floor so you could take her place. Maybe
you'd have a second thought about that, and you'd put her near the fireplace
so her bones would stay warm and she wouldn't fight you to the death to get
the chair back. But you don't put her too close to the fireplace because
it's the size of a Chelsea bachelor suite. And the room is filled with just
the sort of people all rooms ought to be filled with but aren't. Over by
the drapes that cover the ten foot window looking out on the park, one
fellow, he's a theology boy from NYU with elbow patches on his sweater and a taste for the sort of mushrooms that John Ashcroft has nightmares about and he has green eyes that women are going to tumble into and he's making a compelling case that Satan smuggled himself
into the New World by hiding in the underwear of Catholics. You like the
fellow right off. On the sofa in front of you, a ladyfriend of Lola's from
the west coast is telling another lady with long long legs who's here from Boston that she'd had
some business dealings with Dick Clark and her opinion of him was that 'his
mother should have eaten him while his bones were still soft'. And you
wonder if she's married, because you've just fallen in love.

And that's a typical night at Lola's. So, come on in. You haven't even met Lola yet. And besides, who the
hell wants to be outside on a night like this?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 101,544 • Replies: 2,969
No top replies

Peace and Love

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 01:04 pm
Peace&Love and Jack, super Border Collie, enter the living room of Lola's salon.

"Hi Everyone!"

"Woof"

PaL hugs her old friends. She hasn't seen them for a few weeks and she has missed them. Someone hands her a cup of coffee, which smells wonderfully rich and strong.

Jack slyly glances around the room, to make sure he isn't being watched. He quietly jumps up on the couch and curls into a ball, hoping that he won't be told to get off the couch.

"Lola, sweetie, I brought along some CD's. I just discovered Norah Jones. Actually, I've just heard one of her songs, "Don't Know Why". Have you ever listened to her music? Let's see, what other CD's do I have in here......"
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 01:53 pm
Lola is standing in the kitchen when PaL arrives and the sounds of doggie feet on the travertine entry floor tell her it's Jack. As PaL and Jack enter the living room, Lola steps in from the kitchen. Jack without hesitation jumps into the soft sofa near the fireplace and snuggles down deep. "Welcome," says Lola, as PaL and Lola hug and kiss each other lightly on each cheek.

"So glad you and Jack have found us," says Lola as she takes a glass of champagne from Jeffers, the living room attendant. "I see Jack's not opposed to making himself comfortable. You've been to the Catskills, I hear, you must tell me all about it............"
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 01:58 pm
Did Lola give up the Cococabana?
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 02:13 pm
Slipping her arm through Lola's, PaL says, "Ah, the colors were fabulous, darling!! You and Fred (it is still Fred?) really must take a trip up north, before the leaves have all fallen. We spent a day in Woodstock, and I totally fell in love with the town and the artists who live there. The moment I stepped out of the car, I could feel the creative energy. Oh, and it's a great place to buy a tie-dyed t-shirt!!"
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 02:26 pm
I just came by to look at Lola's photo. My daily stimulation.....

Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 02:44 pm
Hey, who's that over in the corner? Looks like someone from my ancient past. Do you think that I dare approach him? Last time it took me years to get over that son....... But he looks soo handsome, and he was always so witty!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 04:18 pm
Craven taps his foot impatiently. The whiskey here flows like molasses.

[action]Craven curls up under his favorite table and drifts away[/action]
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 04:36 pm
Jack quietly slips off the couch and curls up next to Craven, under the table.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 05:48 pm
Lola, sitting contentedly in her chair in the corner of the room, asks Jeffers for another glass of champagne. It's Friday and Lola drinks champagne on Fridays. As she puts her lips to the full glass, Lola sees Phoenix standing by the fireplace looking at the young theology student by the window. The student in his sweater and cords, looks disarmingly comforting. He's not a young student, but a mature man, returning to university for his own edification. He's laughing with some other visitors and making his usual jokes.

Lola calls to Phoenix, "have you met our friend by the window?" Phoenix blushes and smiles at Lola, waving.

"Hi, Lola," she says, ignoring the question.

Lola stands and walks toward the piano when she notices Craven, the poor dear, and PaL under the table, sleeping sound as babes. Lola reaches underneath the table with her pointy toed shoe and tickles Craven under his arm. Craven mumbles and turns over closer to PaL. PaL stirs and puts her arm over Craven and returns to sleep.

"Jeffers," says Lola. "I think we need to watch the whiskey for these two in future. They're sleeping so peacefully, but I fear they're going to miss all the fun."
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 05:49 pm
Returning to her chair, Lola is happy to see c.i. and Lightwizard sitting nearby.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 05:52 pm
Lightwizard waltzes in with a whole box of replacement lightbubs as he thinks everyone is working with a dim lightbulb.

"I'll have glass of champagne."

After a few glasses, Lightwizard begins trying to screw in lightbulbs into the faucets.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 05:53 pm
ehBeth arrives with her famous green knapsack and two small grinny dogs. She tosses the knapsack in the corner of the far left booth and heads for the counter.

Bailey and Cleo head straight for Peace and Love, grinning and laughing and happy to see a friend.
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 06:01 pm
Peace&Love sits up and hugs Bailey and Cleo.

"Hey, how's my puppies? Cookies? Cookies? HoHo, there's the good pups."
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 06:02 pm
Oh, no Lightwizard, too much light. Can't see. Hi ehBeth. And look at Cleo and Bailey, so happy to see ya.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 06:07 pm
Lola is talking about the toilet which now lights up when you flush it and the neighbors thinks aliens are landing. Little do they know, they've been here all along, posting on Abuzz and now Able2Know.

So Lightwizard removes the lightbulbs from the plumbing and screws them into the guests. Everyone has had enough champagne to light them up in nice, subtle mood levels. Trouble is, they can't speak.

And you thought I screwed them into the wrong end...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 06:13 pm
Bailey and Cleo and Jack and Craven (lightwizard missed him, cuz he was under the table doncha know) look at the lit-up guests. Their heads move from left to right and back again as they take in the stunning sight.

Craven suddenly realizes he is the only human able to speak.

He is positively delighted with the thought that he finally has a fully captive audience.

Cleo, however, has another thought.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 06:54 pm
"Gad! Isn't it a little early to be this smashed?" asks Merry Abdrew, entering and shaking the rain off his slicker. He tosses his ten-gallon hat onto a handy nearby hatrack and shrugs out of the raingear. "You're all lit up already?" he asks. "Lightwizard, I just know this must be your doing!"
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 07:11 pm
I back up into a corner looking sheepishly up at the ceiling but popping the cork on another bottle of champagne.

The guests are running out of electricity and the room gets dimmer and dimmer. Or, could it be the liquor?

Trying to use Merry Andrew's arm like a dimmer, I pull it up to 2:00 but nothing happens. Then I realize, Merry doesn't have a lightbulb in his mouth. I have run out of lightbulbs so I offer a full bottle of champagne which Merry accepts graciously and begins lighting up nicely.

Hey, what's happening? MA is lit up like a klieg light -- I guess we can hire him out for premieres now.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 07:46 pm
As Merry Andrew lights up, Lola steps out to the kitchen to check on Jeffers. He's disappeared and the guests are running out of champagne. The kitchen is empty and Lola feels annoyed. Not a single employee about and the living room full of highly intelligent and informed, if a little drunk guests. Inhibitions are down and the conversation is good, but where is the help?

Listening, Lola hears whispering in the pantry and then a giggle. Clearing her voice and stamping her feet, Lola signals her arrival. Rustling and scurrying occurs inside the pantry and Fifi, her hair astray and her lipstick smeared appears.

"Fifi," says Lola, "your good eye has failed you tonight. Your hair is less than perfect and you need to reapply your lipstick. More guests are arriving and you're needed in the front.

"Oh, yes," says FiFi, as she rolls her eyes once she's out of Lola's sight, "I'll get right to it."
0 Replies