PARENTS BRINGING UP A SPOILED GENERATION!

Badboy

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 08:16 am
A lot of parents(especially middle class) may be bringing up a spoiled generation by buying them computers etc and letting them eat when the children want and not telling the children to go to bed when it is bedtime.
(this results in children falling asleep in class).

Also children use their parent's 1st name instead of `mum' and `dad'.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 7,849 • Replies: 112
No top replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 08:24 am
Yes, whatever happened to the good old days of childbeating?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 09:20 am
I think a computer is almost a necessity nowadays, like older generations getting a TV for the first time, computers are becoming a necessity as I think some teachers wont accept hand written work.Its just the times moving, not spoilt kids

I think its horrid that kids call their parents by their real name.Id hate to do that and im 30!!

Kids that wont go to bed should be made to stay up all night and make them go to school teh next day.

There is a 'how to deal with kids' programme in the UK and it shows that parents only pay attention to kids when they are misbehaving.Instead parents should ignore bad behaviour and praise good behaviour.

I think its a kids bringing up kids culture.Teenagers have kids then resent the children who are holding them back from doing what they want.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 09:32 am
I making sure that Mo is not spoilt by refusing to allow him to learn to read or to eat. The best children are illiterate and hungry, damn it.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 10:08 am
What a great idea. Sometimes, I take things away from my kids for no good reason just to show them who's boss. If they argue, I beat them. If they complain about being hungry I tell them to suck it up because there are kids in Africa who don't eat for years. And when I was a kid we only ate one meal a day so what makes them so special.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 10:13 am
Since Mo is getting ready to start school I think I'll just start making him stay in bed all weekend so he will be rested come Mondays. Lord knows that children can't be trusted to determine whether they are hungry and sleepy.

I think I'll start making him call me "your highness" too.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 10:24 am
I've always enjoyed the "Swallow your spit" response to a child that complains of being thirsty.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 10:28 am
blacksmithn wrote:
Yes, whatever happened to the good old days of childbeating?

still going on at my den....twice a week whether they need it or not.... I like to get really drunk before the beatings.... helps me really let it all out....my cubs are polite and obedient and people normally get used to those facial twitches pretty easily...
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 10:38 am
I've found that children become much better behaved if you occasionally tie them to your car bumper and drag them around the block a few times. the look of fear in their eyes is SO rewarding. Makes me feel like a regular Ward Cleaver.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 10:43 am
blacksmithn wrote:
I've found that children become much better behaved if you occasionally tie them to your car bumper and drag them around the block a few times. the look of fear in their eyes is SO rewarding. Makes me feel like a regular Ward Cleaver.

I prefer being a beaver cleaver myself...
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 10:48 am
By allowing your children to eat when they want too, or fall asleep when they are ready, doesn't neccasarily render a spoiled child. A child will rest when they need too, and eat when they are hungry.

To make them do so, is contributing to future bad eating habits and wieght problems. And by making child "rest"..when they aren't ready, just turns them into wild children with to much built up energy...

:wink: Damn, I think thats where parents are then turned in for child abuse for beating the hell out of the ADHD child for bouncing off the walls.

Its when those children tell the parent: What & When & Where & How...that you might portray them to be spoiled, and their parents idiots.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 10:53 am
Quote:

My dad used to shoot us with a BB gun....to get us out of the yard....
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 11:05 am
Badboy should have supplied some kind of link to this story, to place it into some kind of context.

The way it has been presented, I'm not surprised that people have taken the whole thing the wrong way.

Here is a link that I have found for now....I will try and find the text of the whole speech.

My wife is a headteacher and has read his speech, and heartily agrees with about 99% of what he had to say. Basically, it is going on about a small minority of parents who haven't got a clue as to how to bring up their children, and these children usually underperform at school due to fatigue, or malnourishment. They have been taught no manners or social skills, have little ot no attention span and normally end up being very disruptive.

http://news.pipex.com/Pipex/News/Story_Page/0,13319,5337_1195991,00.html
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 11:30 am
makemeshiver33 wrote:
By allowing your children to eat when they want too, or fall asleep when they are ready, doesn't neccasarily render a spoiled child. A child will rest when they need too, and eat when they are hungry.

To make them do so, is contributing to future bad eating habits and wieght problems. And by making child "rest"..when they aren't ready, just turns them into wild children with to much built up energy...

:wink: Damn, I think thats where parents are then turned in for child abuse for beating the hell out of the ADHD child for bouncing off the walls.

Its when those children tell the parent: What & When & Where & How...that you might portray them to be spoiled, and their parents idiots.

I probably disagree with about 90% of your post, MMS.

If children ate when they wanted too, they would probably never sit down with the rest of the family and have a proper meal. This means that they will never learn table manners or take part in family conversation, away from the TV/Computer.

If they were allowed to choose their own sleep times, they would probably be up until all hours, and never achieve a regular sleep pattern. This does not bode well for when they are expected to stay alert during the school day, and more importantly, when they are at work in later life.

I can't see how regulated meals at regular times can contribute to unhealthy eating habits. Personally, I would say that snacking when they felt like it would probably also involve the wrong type of foods, and they would end up with terrible weight/health problems.

....and as far as ADHD children are concerned, in my school there were over 1000 pupils of all ability ranges. I don't remember any of them having ADHD. A few were badly behaved, but I believe that this was because they were naturally naughty and mischevious. None of us "bounced off walls" due to being hyperactive.

Maybe it's because we all had boundaries set, and a routine to live by.
Whatever we were doing, if it was school the following day, we would be in bed by a certain deadline. We knew when dinner was being served, and had to wait. We knew that when we were at school, we had to behave ourselves or there were unpleasant consequences.

I loved my childhood, and did well at school.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 11:33 am
Interesting......after I posted the above, I saw THIS.....

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2016661&highlight=#2016661
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 11:49 am
My kids tell me that we are they only family they know of that sits down together for dinner most nights. <shrug> Sorry, I say, but I think it's important. Older daughter K adds that she's glad we have an evening routine and she likes the fact that when Mom says it's dinnertime it applies to everyone.

For example, last night Mr B announced that the Bulls playoff game was on. I said I was surprised he wasn't watching it. He raised one eyebrow and said he would have been had I not called everyone for dinner. K chuckled and gave me a high-five. Mom rules at dinnertime.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 12:01 pm
So, when should I stop beating my kids with a tire iron then?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 12:11 pm
When they're big enough to take it from you and whack you back. At least, that's the rule of thumb that's been in place in my family for generations.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 12:13 pm
Methinks LordE and I were raised pretty similarly. Our family ate together at the table every evening when my Dad got home from work. My Mom prepared everything from scratch. I never saw a frozen packet of food until I left school. She also had a vegetable garden and grew cabbage, lettuce, carrots, among other things so it was normal to go out to the garden and pull up a lettuce to wash for a salad with dinner. Soda/Pop, biscuits (cookies) and cakes were purchased for special occasions, like when visitors came around and we scarfed them down like there was no tomorrow because that wasn't a daily thing. While we grumbled as kids about having to 'set the table', mash the potatoes, wash and dry the dishes afterwards, I see now that we created a very close family bond that years later my friends and acquaintances comment on. We talked about everything under the sun at the dinner table. I never knew I was getting an education as well as a good meal.

When I came to America, I came as a live-in nanny/au pair and the American children I took care of were surprised when I set sit-down-together meal-times and followed the routines I had grown up learning. They wanted to sit in front of the TV and eat off trays and have me wait on them hand and foot. No siree, they were shown MY way and it ended up being fabulous. They loved talking about their day at school, projects, sharing stories, and testing new recipes that they helped prepare. I remember calling my mother one day, after catching myself using one of her mommy-phrases with the kids, and exclaiming "Oh my God, I've turned into YOU!"

I don't know how parents do it these days, be able to work full-time, continue educating themselves, raise children and provide them with all the healthy, nourishing and loving support they need and at the same time prepare them to be independent, secure and happy grown-ups.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 12:13 pm
blacksmithn wrote:
So, when should I stop beating my kids with a tire iron then?

put away the tire iron, roll a joint and smoke it with them.... rite of passages and marking milestones are an important part of a child's development....
0 Replies