The Herpes Thread!

littlek

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 10:49 pm
Herpes is rampant in the world. The medical society's best guess is that 1 in 5 citizens (over 14 years old) in the US have genital herpes. While the herpes virus isn't any more than apainful annoyance in and of itself, it aids in the transmition of HIV and other STDs. The disease is manageable, but incurable and there is no vaccination against it, yet.

Herpes is related to chickenpox, shingles and cold sores.

Here's the CDC's page on the topic, data is from 1999:

Quote:
Herpes

Genital herpes-herpes simplex virus type two (HSV-2)-is one of the most common sexually transmitted diseases in the United States, with as many as one million people in the United States becoming infected each year. While genital herpes continues to spread across all social, economic, racial and ethnic boundaries, prevalence of infection increased most dramatically in teens and young adults in the late 1980s and early 1990s (Fleming, 1997). The disease is potentially fatal in newborns and can be particularly severe in people with HIV infection.

Symptoms of herpes-recurrent painful ulcers-can be treated, but the infection cannot be cured. Most people with herpes have no symptoms and are unaware of their infection. In a national house-hold survey, less than 10 percent of people who tested positive with herpes knew they were infected (Fleming, 1997). With or without visible symptoms, the disease can be transmitted between sex partners, from mothers to newborns, and can increase a person's risk of becoming infected with HIV. Genital herpes can also make HIV-infected individuals more infectious and is believed to play a role in the heterosexual spread of HIV in the United States. Preventing the spread of herpes may help slow both epidemics.

* More than one in five Americans-45 million people-are infected with genital herpes (Fleming, 1997).

* From the late 1970s to the early 1990s, herpes prevalence increased 30 percent (Fleming, 1997).

* Preliminary 1999 data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) suggest that the prevalence of hsv-2 has remained relatively stable over the 1990s. In 1999, the estimated prevalence was 19 percent among the general U.S. population ages 14 to 49 years old (McQuillan, 2000). CDC

The diagnosis rate continues to climb. As the info above says, less than 10% of the people who carry the virus know they carry it. Dasha did the math: 2%, 1 in 50, of the total US population has herpes and knows it. I'm guessing more than those have a hunch that something is up. I think that the prevelance among people in my little world - single late 20s to late 30s serial daters - is much higher.

So. Why doesn't anyone talk about it? Why is there still such a stigma associated with it? How do the people you know with herpes deal with marriage, dating, childbirth? Would you date someone with herpes? Would you take a vaccine against it (one should be available soon)?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,414 • Replies: 137
No top replies

littlek

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 10:57 pm
Wouldn't it be funny if no one responded!

In case anyone clicks here looking for support instead of discussion, here's a website that offers help and community: http://www.mpwh.net/
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 10:59 pm
well....while it's easy to communicate non-verbally "I like you...I like you a lot...I'd sleep with you" it's hard to add non-verbally "but you should know I have herpes".... it makes for an awkward time and there's no good way to go about it. Makes you feel dirty, as if you had a scarlet letter burnt onto your forehead. No fun in herpes.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 11:01 pm
NOt to mention the fact that because no one talks about or admits to herpes, that one feels like a second rate date.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 11:10 pm
More info.....

Another support site: http://www.stdfriends.com/

Treatment options: http://www.herpesalliance.org/resources_05.htm

Relationships: http://www.herpesalliance.org/resources_01.htm and http://www.herpesalliance.org/resources_02.htm
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 12:38 pm
My Dad has the oral variety and has gotten a lot of relief from what I think is Valtrex. Dunno if he had it when he met my mother. He turns 75 in, erm, three days, so it ain't just the young who can be affected.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 12:42 pm
littlek wrote:
NOt to mention the fact that because no one talks about or admits to herpes, that one feels like a second rate date.

When I had my driveway sealed in 1975 I had them seal my unit as well. Everything rolls right off it now and I only need it resealed every 7 years... burns a little but money well spent....
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 12:54 pm
Boy, the exclaimation point on the title to this thread sure made it seem like fun. Herpes! Yay!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 01:34 pm
it's the new hip thing to do, arthur: talk about herpes! weee!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 01:37 pm
A childhood friend e-mailed me in great distress.

Her son met an old-fashioned girl. No sex until they knew each other well. He even brough O-FG home to meet mother.

Mother was delighted. Potential d-i-l was intelligent, witty, ethical....

Then O-FG confessed she had herpes, contracted from her former husband, a congenital philanderer and liar.

The romance ended.

Life isn't always fair.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 02:19 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
A childhood friend e-mailed me in great distress.

Her son met an old-fashioned girl. No sex until they knew each other well. He even brough O-FG home to meet mother.

Mother was delighted. Potential d-i-l was intelligent, witty, ethical....

Then O-FG confessed she had herpes, contracted from her former husband, a congenital philanderer and liar.

The romance ended.

Life isn't always fair.

Confused life is unfair.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 05:02 pm
Arthur, the explanation point did it's job! Weee!
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 05:12 pm
I guess it did. Who would have thought herpes could sound so fun! Hurray for herpes!
There's a phrase I never thought I'd say.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 05:14 pm
tin_sword_arthur wrote:
I guess it did. Who would have thought herpes could sound so fun! Hurray for herpes!
There's a phrase I never thought I'd say.

Not one I'd ever expect to hear either.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 05:17 pm
Herpes always makes me think of my dog. WAIT, don't jump to conclusions before I explain.

I have this bifurcated Slovak/English mind, I think in a mumble jumble of both languages. For example, when I count, it goes: one, two, tri, štyri, five, six, sedem, osem....

So when I hear herpes.... "her" would stay in English, and "pes" would be taken in its Slovak meaning - a dog. Herpes = her dog. It's much more pleasant that way.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 05:26 pm
Shocked Had me very[/i] worried there for a minute, dag.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 05:29 pm
Dag, I think you should tell that story to Landry.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 05:30 pm
nah, the poor guy does not need to hear any more about herpes. or HIV or any other STDs for that matter. Though he likes cracking jokes about AIDS. Makes for some grand old awkward moments.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 05:31 pm
I don't know of anyone with herpes. But looking at the stats, I'm sure I've slept with someone who has/had it.

I find the best way to test for these things is to have conversations like these with my friends:

"Hey friend. Do you know anyone with herpes?"

"No."

"Good. Because you know me."
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 05:32 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
I don't know of anyone with herpes. But looking at the stats, I'm sure I've slept with someone who has/had it.

I find the best way to test for these things is to have conversations like these with my friends:

"Hey friend. Do you know anyone with herpes?"

"No."

"Good. Because you know me."

Yep yep...... heard that joke before.
0 Replies