The Worst President in History?

xingu

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 07:58 am
Great leaders are great because of how they face great challenges that confront them. For example who would have heard of Lincoln if there had been no Civil War?

Bush had the opportunity to be a great president. He faced a great challenge. Unfortunately for this country, Bush blew it. He was chained to ideology and allowed the ideology to rule him. Instead if using common sense and pragmatic behavior he chose to ignore reality and take us down into the depths of moral depravity.

What would it have been like if Bush had been an open-minded moderate?

Quote:
An Alternate 9/11 History
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 06:08 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
snood wrote:
...never found the water-boarding reference...

Here is the source of my information:

Quote:
On September 6, 2006, the United States Department of Defense released a revised Army Field Manual entitled Human Intelligence Collector Operations that prohibits the use of waterboarding by U.S. military personnel.

Wikipedia

Going back to my point:
Quote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Joe Nation wrote:
Quote:
Brandon hasn't been following the issue very closely. If he listened to the President's speech regarding moving the fourteen detainees from the secret CIA prisons to Guantanamo last week he would understand what the administration's problem is. They've already violated the Geneva Conventions, by using the CIA to interrogate the prisoners using methods such as water boarding and other coercive, now they want the Congress to say that's okay....

Quote:
Then why does the new edition of The Army Field Manual ban water boarding? Provide a citation to show that the Bush administration is now seeking permission to make water boarding legal.

The issue, if you have been following the discussions in Congress, is not limited to military personnel, but the use of torture, or whatever euphemism anyone wants to insert here, by the CIA and the use of evidence gained by such means in the military tribunals.

Read the New York Times article above if it's still not clear. The Bush Administration is seeking to protect the interrogators, past and present, while exposing future US Military POWs to extraordinary risks.

Joe(This shouldn't be a partisan issue, this is about the state of American Justice)Nation
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 06:24 pm
Clearly, Brandon likes to edit his citations.

Quote:
Journalists Brian Ross and Richard Esposito described the CIA's waterboarding technique as follows:

The prisoner is bound to an inclined board, feet raised and head slightly below the feet. Cellophane is wrapped over the prisoner's face and water is poured over him. Unavoidably, the gag reflex kicks in and a terrifying fear of drowning leads to almost instant pleas to bring the treatment to a halt. According to the sources, CIA officers who subjected themselves to the water boarding technique lasted an average of 14 seconds before caving in. They said al Qaeda's toughest prisoner, Khalid Sheik Mohammed, won the admiration of interrogators when he was able to last over two minutes before begging to confess. "The person believes they are being killed, and as such, it really amounts to a mock execution, which is illegal under international law," said John Sifton of Human Rights Watch.

In the United States, military personnel are taught this technique, ostensibly to demonstrate how to resist enemy interrogations in the event of capture. According to Salon.com, SERE instructors shared their torture techniques with interrogators at the Guantanamo Bay detainment camp.

Dr. Allen Keller, the director of the Bellevue/N.Y.U. Program for Survivors of Torture, has treated "a number of people" who had been subjected to forms of near-asphyxiation, including waterboarding. An interview for The New Yorker states:

[Dr. Keller] argued that it was indeed torture. Some victims were still traumatized years later, he said. One patient couldn't take showers, and panicked when it rained. "The fear of being killed is a terrifying experience," he said.

On September 6, 2006, the United States Department of Defense released a revised Army Field Manual entitled Human Intelligence Collector Operations that prohibits the use of waterboarding by U.S. military personnel. The revised manual was adopted amid widespread criticism of U.S. handling of prisoners in the War on Terrorism, and prohibits other questionable practices in addition to waterboarding. The revised manual applies to U.S. military personnel, and as such does not apply to the practices of the CIA.

Source
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 08:21 pm
Interesting snipper you've got there, Brandon.

Joe(Watch out, Snipper could be your new nickname)Nation
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 08:58 pm
candidone1 wrote:
Clearly, Brandon likes to edit his citations.

Quote:
Journalists Brian Ross and Richard Esposito described the CIA's waterboarding technique as follows:

The prisoner is bound to an inclined board, feet raised and head slightly below the feet. Cellophane is wrapped over the prisoner's face and water is poured over him. Unavoidably, the gag reflex kicks in and a terrifying fear of drowning leads to almost instant pleas to bring the treatment to a halt. According to the sources, CIA officers who subjected themselves to the water boarding technique lasted an average of 14 seconds before caving in. They said al Qaeda's toughest prisoner, Khalid Sheik Mohammed, won the admiration of interrogators when he was able to last over two minutes before begging to confess. "The person believes they are being killed, and as such, it really amounts to a mock execution, which is illegal under international law," said John Sifton of Human Rights Watch.

In the United States, military personnel are taught this technique, ostensibly to demonstrate how to resist enemy interrogations in the event of capture. According to Salon.com, SERE instructors shared their torture techniques with interrogators at the Guantanamo Bay detainment camp.

Dr. Allen Keller, the director of the Bellevue/N.Y.U. Program for Survivors of Torture, has treated "a number of people" who had been subjected to forms of near-asphyxiation, including waterboarding. An interview for The New Yorker states:

[Dr. Keller] argued that it was indeed torture. Some victims were still traumatized years later, he said. One patient couldn't take showers, and panicked when it rained. "The fear of being killed is a terrifying experience," he said.

On September 6, 2006, the United States Department of Defense released a revised Army Field Manual entitled Human Intelligence Collector Operations that prohibits the use of waterboarding by U.S. military personnel. The revised manual was adopted amid widespread criticism of U.S. handling of prisoners in the War on Terrorism, and prohibits other questionable practices in addition to waterboarding. The revised manual applies to U.S. military personnel, and as such does not apply to the practices of the CIA.

Source

Rather than reproduce an entire Wikipedia article, I quoted the sentence in question. Your implication that my motives were sinister is silly.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 09:01 pm
Joe Nation wrote:

I stated that a new army manual prohibits waterboarding and gave the manual name. When snood said that he couldn't find the topic in the manual, I provided the sentence that gave the reference. Hardly a conspiracy.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 09:44 pm
Page 521 of the manual

Quote:
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 03:00 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Joe Nation wrote:

I stated that a new army manual prohibits waterboarding and gave the manual name. When snood said that he couldn't find the topic in the manual, I provided the sentence that gave the reference. Hardly a conspiracy.

And snipped the exact wording that supported my point and answered your question....yes,,,, perfectly understandable.

Joe(sure)Nation.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 05:38 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
blatham wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
blatham wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Joe Nation wrote:
Brandon hasn't been following the issue very closely. If he listened to the President's speech regarding moving the fourteen detainees from the secret CIA prisons to Guantanamo last week he would understand what the administration's problem is. They've already violated the Geneva Conventions, by using the CIA to interrogate the prisoners using methods such as water boarding and other coercive, now they want the Congress to say that's okay....

Then why does the new edition of The Army Field Manual ban water boarding? Provide a citation to show that the Bush administration is now seeking permission to make water boarding legal.

Quote:
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-intel18sep18,0,3407082.story?coll=la-home-nation

How about you, brandon, putting your little dick on the line and clarifying for the rest of us the disparity between what was done, what the SC held could and could not be done, and what Bush now wants to be able to do.

Why should I? The fact that I ask someone to support an assertion he's made doesn't obligate me to do anything more.

Perhaps to demonstrate that you are capable of thought?

Yes, and I'm sure you'll be happy to run off on every wild goose chase that I set for you. Your demonstratuon that I'm not taking orders from you doesn't constitute a successful rebuttal of anything that I've herein asserted.

You heard it from Brandon in his own words: Asking Brandon to demonstrate that he is capable of thought is the same as asking him to run off on a wild goose chase.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 05:45 am
Joe Nation wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Joe Nation wrote:

And snipped the exact wording that supported my point and answered your question....yes,,,, perfectly understandable.

Joe(sure)Nation.

You people really kill me. You're constantly accusing me of bizarre things that never entered my mind for a second. The other poster always has to be brought into the argument one way or the other. You can't just argue the freakin topic with a little dignity.

I read that Wikipedia article very quickly once when I first found the link, didn't think much about it, and then reported only the name of the manual. When finally snood said he couldn't find the reference in the manual, I gave him the sentence in Wikipedia that mentioned it. Nothing more than that crossed my mind. I suspect that if read whatever this baloney is that you've found on the page, which I still haven't, it wouldn't actually support your position, but, frankly, the way you guys argue, with childish references to conspiracies, the other poster, and, in short, anything but the topic, makes me sick, and I'm out.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 01:13 pm
What probably makes you sick, Brandon, is being called on the very thing you excoriate others for.
Again, your inability to hold yourself to the same standard you expect others to maintain is overwhelming.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 07:26 pm
Just another fine example that blows apart that old canard that the USA is in any way interested in furthering democracy. The USA is only interested in furthering the USA and their long history of supporting tyrants proves it.

Quote:

Ideals and Realities Clash In Bush 'Freedom Agenda'

By Peter Baker
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, September 21, 2006; A20

At the United Nations lectern this week, President Bush hailed the spread of democracy. "From Beirut to Baghdad," he said, "people are making the choice for freedom." Yet even as he spoke, tanks were rolling through the streets of Bangkok as a military coup toppled the elected leader of Thailand, who at that moment was in New York for the U.N. session.

Bush made no mention of the dramatic events on Tuesday and left New York yesterday without ever seeing the deposed prime minister, much less offering any public support for a onetime strong ally of the United States. The president's spokesman later provided a strikingly mild response only after being asked by a reporter, pronouncing the White House "disappointed" by the coup.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/20/AR2006092001696_pf.html

0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 08:45 pm
candidone1 wrote:
What probably makes you sick, Brandon, is being called on the very thing you excoriate others for.
Again, your inability to hold yourself to the same standard you expect others to maintain is overwhelming.

Brandon makes infinitely more sense than all of you detractors here.

JTT wrote:
Just another fine example that blows apart that old canard that the USA is in any way interested in furthering democracy. The USA is only interested in furthering the USA and their long history of supporting tyrants proves it.

We just got rid of a tyrant in Iraq and you give Bush no credit. The tyrant, Hugo Chavez, is calling Bush an evil man, and I am curious what you think about that? The tyrant in Iran is not being supported by us. The tyrant in North Korea is not being supported by us. JTT, you are obviously among the "blame America first" crowd. I really have no clue what you are talking about in terms of a long history of supporting tyrants. Sometimes we are presented with tyrants to choose from so supporting anyone at all ends up being support of the apparently most benign tyrant, so what are we to do anyway? What do you really have to say for yourself that makes any sense at all? Give it a try if you think you can.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 08:49 pm
A president elected in an election that is deemed to be fair and honest by observers is now a tyrant? What kind of reality do some people live in?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 09:12 pm
The reality of history. Many tyrants are elected to start with. Many wolves dress up in sheeps clothing. Parados, the people I named, I did so because I think they pose a danger because of their personalities fitting the profile of tyrants, as evidenced by their behaviors and statements. If you wish to go on record as believing otherwise, please do so at this time, Parados, so that we know where you stand.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 09:43 pm
[QUOTE-"okie"]Many wolves dress up in sheeps clothing[/quote]

"Compassionate Conservative" was a fabulous outfit....
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 09:57 pm
candidone1 wrote:
[QUOTE-"okie"]Many wolves dress up in sheeps clothing

"Compassionate Conservative" was a fabulous outfit....[/quote]

Wasn't that term concocted by the press or started by some political pundit, I don't remember? Of course, compassion is defined by liberals as giving a starving person a fish, so that the next day that person will be knocking on their door asking for more, which always assures the job of the person handing out the fish and so that he can regulate the life of the starving person. This turns out to not be compassion, but instead the controlling personality of a tyrant more interested in their own power over others than truly helping the starving person. Compassion, as defined by conservatives, is defined as teaching a starving person how to fish, and by giving him a fishing pole so he can go catch his own fish.
0 Replies

MarionT

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 10:25 pm
In the meantime, the gutless McCain( who wants to be president, has spoken of a compromise with President Bush on the redefinition of one of the provisions of the Geneva Convention. The news talks about the provision that under the compromise, the persons who are charged will not be able to see all of the evidence against them if that evidence is charged as classified. This is clearly a violation of the Geneva Convention. McCain should be ashamed of himself.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 10:48 pm
Quote from MarionT:"McCain should be ashamed of himself'.

McCain has nothing to be ashamed of. His 5 years as a prisoner of war speaks vols about this man.
0 Replies

MarionT

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 10:58 pm
You call the redefinition of Torture and not allowing a prisoner to see the evidence against him a point of pride? It is exactly because he was a prisioner for five years that he should have held his ground! He put politics( he wants to be president) above Principle.
0 Replies