Could Gore have f*cked us anywhere near as bad as Bush has?

parados

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 04:34 pm
And the final conclusion is.......

Gore wouldn't have used bold.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 04:38 pm
Call me simple (this would not be untrue, in fact) but whenever I hear Americans I tend to hear things like : Allthough I detest Republicans/Democrats, I'd almost have to choose them over the current f*ckup from Democrats/Republicans.

How about a new party in there? Stir things up a little?

Najmelliw
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 04:41 pm
parados wrote:
And the final conclusion is.......

Gore wouldn't have used bold.

<laughing>
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 04:57 pm
Asherman wrote
Quote:
Who knows what Gore would have done in the same situation. Gore may have taken longer to act, but in the end I believe he would have adopted the same policies and path chosen by President Bush.

I beg to differ.

Gore would never have lied to lead us into the quagmire of Iraq.
Gore would never have allowed his religion to interfere with the workings of government.
Gore would never have restricted stem cell research
Gore would not have heard the voice of God instructing him.
Gore would not have spent government funds on religious initiatives
Gore would not be bankrupting the nation
Gore would not be a practitioner of the big lie.

The above are only a small sample of what the moron has done that Gore would not have.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 04:59 pm
I'm not a moderator, but thanks to parados for injecting a little levity. I suspect ossobucco and magginkat have just gotten off on the wrong foot. I suspect they may have more incommen than they think. I don't mean to speak out of turn, but I urge both posters to let it pass. I'm a fine one to say that, since I get into so much trouble, but don't let bold face be the issue that divides. Just saying, and I know it's none of my business, so peace.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 06:18 pm

There is not the slightest evidence that the President "lied to lead us into the quagmire of Iraq. Not everyone would agree that Iraq is a quagmire, and that has nothing to do with whether our being there isn't worthwhile.

Gore would never have allowed his religion to interfere with the workings of government.

I have seen no credible evidence that President Bush has "allowed his religion to interfere with working government", any more than any other President is guided by their religious beliefs. Doesn't the President also have the right to follow his conscience and faith, like everyone else?

Gore would never have restricted stem cell research

I think you are probably right-on with this item.

Gore would not have heard the voice of God instructing him.

Actually, Gore might as easily been privy to God's instruction as President Bush. After all, that's God's choice, isn't it? Perhaps I missed it, but I don't think that President Bush has ever said that his policies were the result of divine decree.

Gore would not have spent government funds on religious initiatives

Bush opened the doors for Federal Money to be conduited through religious institutions, and I imagine more cash flowed through the Christian churches than the Buddhist or Islamic churches. The only possible objection I can imagine is that enlisting the services of religious organizations as conduits for Federal charity, is that it might violate the separation of Church and State principle. However, since the money was not destined to promote any religion, and that the religious groups were mere conduits probably answers the constitutional question. I wouldn't be surprised if the issue hasn't passed Appellate review long ago.

Personally, as a conservative I have problems with the Federal governments too open hand funding social engineering projects and making financial aid so widely available. That shouldn't be a function of the Federal government, and perhaps not even the business of State governments.

Gore would not be bankrupting the nation

It is Congress that holds the power of the purse, not the Executive, who can only ask that funding be provided for his programs and projects. The National Debt is a very big concern as it should be, but since most of the debt is the result of entitlement programs that are beyond the power of any President to control, there is good reason to suppose that Gore would have also been faced with this terrible debt.

The cost of improving American security and pursuing a war against the terrorists whose attacks on the United States peaked on 9/11 are a contributing factor to the National Debt, but war is an expensive business and to pinch-penny in such times can lead to the deaths of our troops, and increase the risk that our enemies might in the end be victorious. We should ask ourselves what it would mean to us and to the world if our enemy, international radical Islamic terrorism, were to "defeat" the United States. Does anyone imagine that the enemy would ever be satisfied with anything less than the total destruction of Western values?

If 9/11 had happened on Gore's watch, he would also have been prompted to increase national security, to keep a closer watch on those suspected of terrorist ties, to utilize the entire military might of the nation to find and destroy the terrorist networks who applauded 9/11, and vowed before and since to harass Americans unto the death. Get bitten by enough mosquitos and you may not die but wish that you could. Gore, I'm sure, would have run up just as large a military bill as Bush has.

Gore would not be a practitioner of the big lie.

This seems repeditive to me. What is the President's "big lie"? Is there any proof of a "big lie" beyond the partisan need to blacken the President's character? If Presidents are big liars, then why would Gore have been any different?

We don't really know what Gore would, or wouldn't have done. Some of us believe that he would have risen to the challenges, initiated and followed policies probably not much different than those followed by Bush. Some believe that Gore would have not have brought the war to the terrorist enemy in his homelands using military force. Without violating his oath, I don't quite know any President could fail to respond vigorously to attacks on American citizens and soil. Some believe that Gore was/is somehow morally superior to Bush, but that is a matter of opinion and party affiliation, isn't it.

If Gore had been elected, I think he would have done alright. I think that he might have pondered longer, but in the end I think he would have led us down the same paths as President Bush. Would he have been a "better" President, again that is only a matter of personal opinion greatly distorted by the emotions of our times. I doubt that many of us will live long enough to witness the more objective judgements of historians yet to be born.
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 07:20 pm
I can't help but think you are deluding yourself, Mr. Asherman. Your posts are so long that but I read this one through. If Iraq is not a quagmire, I can't even respond further. It is a quagmire of this administrations making. Gore would NEVER have been as naive or as duplicitous as Bush and his administrationhave been to lead us into a war in Iraq. Afghanistan and after Osama, yes, but I believe he would have read the PDBs. If you recall, he was adamant about making airlines safer and worried about terrorism when he was Vice President. I don't have the paper to cite as I am off to bed for an early morning dog show, but I am sure someone can find what I am referring to.

We have been lied to over and over again. Some people never wake up to that. I call them "broken glass Republicans". They would crawl over broken glass than admit that mistakes have been made.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 07:26 pm
I agree VN. <sigh>
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 08:33 pm
Gore, as VP for 8 years prior to Bush's presidency had intimate knowledge of the US Intelligence agencies reports on Osama and various terrorist organizations.

He knew the intelligence regarding Saddam and WMD's.

[quote]We know that he has stored away secret supplies of biological weapons and chemical weapons throughout his country.[/quote]

No one can say how Gore would have reacted to 9/11 as he was not the president.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 09:28 pm
but we can say without fear of contradiction how bush reacted and it was a giant f**k up.
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 08:10 am
Vietnamnurse wrote:
I can't help but think you are deluding yourself, Mr. Asherman. Your posts are so long that but I read this one through. If Iraq is not a quagmire, I can't even respond further. It is a quagmire of this administrations making. Gore would NEVER have been as naive or as duplicitous as Bush and his administrationhave been to lead us into a war in Iraq. Afghanistan and after Osama, yes, but I believe he would have read the PDBs. If you recall, he was adamant about making airlines safer and worried about terrorism when he was Vice President. I don't have the paper to cite as I am off to bed for an early morning dog show, but I am sure someone can find what I am referring to.

We have been lied to over and over again. Some people never wake up to that. I call them "broken glass Republicans". They would crawl over broken glass than admit that mistakes have been made.

And don't forget that within days if not hours, of bu$h being sworn in, he was busy signing executive orders undoing what Clinton and Gore had tried to do.

Also don't forget that when Clinton/Gore were trying to get tough anti-terrorism bills passed that the republican majority voted them down time and again with the alkie (Orin Hatch) from Utah, referrring to them as a joke.

Asherman is so full of crap that if his eyes weren't already brown they should be now.

And it's not necessary to read all his posts. Read the first few and the rest are merely echos. One would think that his own repetition would be enough to bore himself to death.
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 08:14 am
najmelliw wrote:
Call me simple (this would not be untrue, in fact) but whenever I hear Americans I tend to hear things like : Allthough I detest Republicans/Democrats, I'd almost have to choose them over the current f*ckup from Democrats/Republicans.

How about a new party in there? Stir things up a little?

Najmelliw

Because the current Democrats are a bunch of cowards. There is enough disgust within both parties to justify a new & more powerful party that could represent the people.

Unfortunately the people who could make that happen are also the people that we don't want representing us to begin with.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 08:27 am
Asherman

- try googling - Bush "God told him to invade Iraq" - 17,700 hits, many of them news sources.

Bush "God told me to invade Iraq" has 35,000 hits - again - many news sources.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 08:33 am
The blame does not rest with the politicians. It rests with the politically ignorant and lazy American electorate that reelects the same crooks.
How often do you see an incumbent lose an election. We presently are faced with a do nothing, self serving congress. And I sure that most who stand for election in 06 will still be there after 06.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 10:29 am
au1929 wrote:
The blame does not rest with the politicians. It rests with the politically ignorant and lazy American electorate that reelects the same crooks.
How often do you see an incumbent lose an election. We presently are faced with a do nothing, self serving congress. And I sure that most who stand for election in 06 will still be there after 06.

My feelings exactly AU!

Anon
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 03:30 pm
Asherman wrote:

There is not the slightest evidence that the President "lied to lead us into the quagmire of Iraq.

Holy crap, dude. If your not joking, you must be insane. "Not the slightest evidence"? Oh MAN. Rolling Eyes

When you read all the stories coming out these days exposing Bush's bullshit, do your eyes just sort of glaze over so you don't have to read it? Or do you just say to yourself "Nah, I just won't believe this, facts be damned"?
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 04:38 pm
JustanObserver wrote:
Asherman wrote:

There is not the slightest evidence that the President "lied to lead us into the quagmire of Iraq.

Holy crap, dude. If your not joking, you must be insane. "Not the slightest evidence"? Oh MAN. Rolling Eyes

When you read all the stories coming out these days exposing Bush's bullshit, do your eyes just sort of glaze over so you don't have to read it? Or do you just say to yourself "Nah, I just won't believe this, facts be damned"?

Justan, I think you just described all of the hard core conservatives......their eyes glaze over & they must use ear plugs to keep from hearing what little one can get from this so-called media.

As for the conservative leadership, including bu$h, Rummy, Cheney, etc... I do believe that they are all insane.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 05:29 pm
Came across this, thought some of you might want it:

http://img459.imageshack.us/img459/941/bushsmallerfinal4vv.jpg
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 06:31 pm
Googling President Bush + "god spoke to me" turned up zero hits. I ran maybe half a dozen variations, with nothing that would indicate that the President ever said, even privately, that god spoke to him. No one can doubt that the man has deep religious convictions, but that doesn't mean that he's suddenly hearing divine voices.

If googled your way, there are indeed many hits. Because everyone in town repeats the common gossip does not make it true. Can you point to any valid quotation from the President where he said anything comparable to "god spoke to me", or "my policies are god's directives", etc., etc.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 06:34 pm
bm

(reading along with interest.)
0 Replies