Could Gore have f*cked us anywhere near as bad as Bush has?

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 06:36 pm
Don't be a dumass Ash. This is a Christian President di rected by God' HOLY word. What??? No precious anointing oils>>????
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 06:49 pm
A lie is when a person knowingly makes a false statement with intent to deceive. One can make a statement that later proves false, without uttering a lie. That's called a mistake. People make mistakes.

Every President is called on to make decisions based on what is often uncertain and incomplete information. Why is it so hard for some folks to accept the mis-statements are not deliberate lies?

Can you show us a case where there is no doubt that the President knowingly uttered a false statement with intent to deceive the Congress?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 07:01 pm
JustanObserver wrote:
Asherman wrote:
Gore would never have lied to lead us into the quagmire of Iraq.

There is not the slightest evidence that the President "lied to lead us into the quagmire of Iraq.

Holy crap, dude. If your not joking, you must be insane. "Not the slightest evidence"? Oh MAN. Rolling Eyes

When you read all the stories coming out these days exposing Bush's bullshit, do your eyes just sort of glaze over so you don't have to read it? Or do you just say to yourself "Nah, I just won't believe this, facts be damned"?

As he said, not the slightest evidence.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 07:06 pm
I think I'm gonna throw up.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 07:09 pm
Luckily there is still plenty of evidence that President Bush is a complete f*ck-up.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 07:14 pm
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 07:25 pm
A Freaudian slip which means he constructed an awkward sentence but the intentional meaning was still left there.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 07:40 pm
I don't ascribe GWB the perspicacity to have developed preplanning; I think he is tool of preplanners.

No, I'm not going to chase links for that.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 08:04 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I don't ascribe GWB the perspicacity to have developed preplanning; I think he is tool of preplanners.

No, I'm not going to chase links for that.

my emphasis

I think you have it so nailed!! Absolutely!!!!

Anon
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 08:11 pm
you had me at he is a tool......
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 08:14 pm
Asherman wrote:
Googling President Bush + "god spoke to me" turned up zero hits. I ran maybe half a dozen variations, with nothing that would indicate that the President ever said, even privately, that god spoke to him. No one can doubt that the man has deep religious convictions, but that doesn't mean that he's suddenly hearing divine voices.

If googled your way, there are indeed many hits. Because everyone in town repeats the common gossip does not make it true. Can you point to any valid quotation from the President where he said anything comparable to "god spoke to me", or "my policies are god's directives", etc., etc.

Wow.. You sure you actually used google? I had no problem getting hits . Whether those hits claimed God spoke to Bush in a manner that would be believable is another thing, but I got hits.

My mother told me to look both ways before crossing the street. Too bad my mother never spoke to me. Dodging by saying Bush never said spoke vs told is just that, a dodge, Asherman. A weak dodge at that.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 08:17 pm
Asherman wrote:
A lie is when a person knowingly makes a false statement with intent to deceive. One can make a statement that later proves false, without uttering a lie. That's called a mistake. People make mistakes.

Every President is called on to make decisions based on what is often uncertain and incomplete information. Why is it so hard for some folks to accept the mis-statements are not deliberate lies?

Can you show us a case where there is no doubt that the President knowingly uttered a false statement with intent to deceive the Congress?

Does the stipulation of "Congress" mean you realize that Bush has told untruths to the American people he knew were untrue?

I can only assume that Bush would have known he told Cheney and Libby to leak information. I can only assume that Bush knew that inspectors were in Iraq. Of course he could just be a bigger idiot than even many think if he didn't know those things.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 08:40 pm
parados wrote:
Asherman wrote:
Googling President Bush + "god spoke to me" turned up zero hits. I ran maybe half a dozen variations, with nothing that would indicate that the President ever said, even privately, that god spoke to him. No one can doubt that the man has deep religious convictions, but that doesn't mean that he's suddenly hearing divine voices.

If googled your way, there are indeed many hits. Because everyone in town repeats the common gossip does not make it true. Can you point to any valid quotation from the President where he said anything comparable to "god spoke to me", or "my policies are god's directives", etc., etc.

Wow.. You sure you actually used google? I had no problem getting hits . Whether those hits claimed God spoke to Bush in a manner that would be believable is another thing, but I got hits.

My mother told me to look both ways before crossing the street. Too bad my mother never spoke to me. Dodging by saying Bush never said spoke vs told is just that, a dodge, Asherman. A weak dodge at that.

With regard to the claim that Bush said God told him to attack Iraq, if this is referring to what Bush is reported to have said to Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmoud Abas, that claim relies on a reading of a translation of a translation of a translation. Whatever Bush said to Abbas, Abbas heard the words as interpreted through a translator. Then a few weeks later, Abbas repeated the words as he remembered them, in Arabic. Whereupon some unknown person wrote down what he thought he heard Abbas say, at which point some reporter (or somebody else) translated the words back into English, and possibly first into Hebrew and then into English.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 08:46 pm
On tool, seems so obvious to me, even at elementary level. My main question is about the quietness about this.

Honeymoon periods for presidents don't go past (what amount of time I'm not sure... let's say eight months, a year, I'm assume there is commentary on that.)
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 09:08 pm
http://liberty.hypermart.net/images/bush-is-lord.jpg

"I ask Americans to bow our heads in humility before our Heavenly Father, a God who calls us not to judge our neighbors, but to love them, to ask His guidance upon our nation and its leaders in every level of government."
-- George W. Bush, National Day of Prayer Proclamation of January 20, 2001, one of his first acts as United States President, quoted from "President Bush Announces Religious Agenda on Inauguration Day: Bush Presents Himself as 'Determined Foe of Church-State Separation,' Says Americans United," January 20, 2001
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 03:34 am
Ticomayo wrote:
[quote]With regard to the claim that Bush said God told him to attack Iraq, if this is referring to what Bush is reported to have said to Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmoud Abas, that claim relies on a reading of a translation of a translation of a translation. Whatever Bush said to Abbas, Abbas heard the words as interpreted through a translator. Then a few weeks later, Abbas repeated the words as he remembered them, in Arabic. Whereupon some unknown person wrote down what he thought he heard Abbas say, at which point some reporter (or somebody else) translated the words back into English, and possibly first into Hebrew and then into English.[/quote]

So, two questions for you and please answer Yes or No.

Does George W. Bush believe that God is directing his life?

Is this a good way to run a country?

Joe(Please turn the music down, I cannot hear the voices in my head)Nation
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 08:27 am
Prados,

So far as I know, President Bush has told no more lies than any other President in our history since 1800. Have people been deceived by President Bush? Probably, but that doesn't mean that he has lied. Politicians, of necessity, parse and spin. President Bush is no different in that respect than any other President, including George Washington. We should regard all statements from public people especially with suspicion. We need to keep our emotions and expectations under tight reign when deciding what to believe. When there is more than one interpretation of what is "true", we should apply a serious of tests.

* What do we know directly from our own observation and participation in the event? For example, I've been present at events where I knew all of the participants well and was in a perfect position to hear and see all that transpired. A short time later, I watched and read reports about the event that were so far from what I had witnessed that it seemed to be total fiction. Did the reporters lie? Did they spin the event to satisfy their editor or publisher? Probably the reporters sincerely believed that their reports were both accurate and complete. Not.

* If we can't be direct witnesses to an event, then we have to choose which report to believe. Those reports made by actual participants who were present and in a position (physically and by being privy to the widest range of information) to know tend to be most credible. Those who are further from the event in time and space, are less likely to report accurately what occurred. Reports that deal with real things, real events, tend to be much more credible than those that concern abstractions, ideas, meanings, intents, and future events. It is easy to credit a report that a building just exploded, but much more difficult to believe a posting that claims that the explosion was caused by <fill in the blank>. The President did X is credible, but to say that the President intended Y may just be supposition or wishful thinking.

* Some witnesses are inherently more credible than others. A career felon is not nearly as credible as a Judge. That doesn't mean that Judges never lie, nor that Felons always do. But, on balance, who is the jury more likely to believe? We receive reports from news networks that are favored by Islamic Terrorists, and we get conflicting reports from an American General who was on the ground when the reported event occurred; which will you choose to give the greater credence to?

Trying to track down any record that the President ever said that his policies and decisions were personally dictated by God, I looked for direct quotes from reputable sources that Bush said something to the effect that "God spoke to him personally and directed his policy". Not that he lives his life in accordance with his religious principles and beliefs. Partisan spin to make the President appear crazy, or the same sort of religious zealot who would murder a busload of children in a suicide bombing, is of no interest to me. What you get when you use any of the internet search tools is highly dependant on how you frame your search. My search was intentionally narrow. If anyone has a direct quote to substantiate this common assertion from the Bush haters, then post it for all to see.

President Bush's religeous beliefs and principles may be offensive to some, but they are no more extreme than most past Presidents. There have been Presidents whose religious convictions were fundamental to the way that they conducted their administrations. Few Presidents have not been guided by their religions convictions. Washington, as President, declared a National Day of Prayer and Thanksgiving in 1789 at the very birth of the United States Constitutional government. Since that time similar Presidential proclamations have been common, so why is this President's religious convictions and issue of a Proclamation so offensive?

I am a Buddhist, and believe that the Abrahamic religions are dangerous and more than potentially harmful to most sentient beings, so please don't accuse me of being an apologist for for the Christians.

Joe, you asked of Tico two questions and indicate that you would like a simple 'yes' or 'no' answer to them, but if you don't mind I'd like to comment on them.

You ask "does George Bush believe that God is directing his life"? How can anyone, but George Bush answer that question. We can not know what another person truly believes unless we are that person. No telepathy permitted. However, without getting too picky about the way you framed the question, I believe that the President does belive that God is directing his life, and all human events. A whole lot of Christians, Jews and Muslims believe the same thing.

Your second question was "Is this a good way to run the country"? I suppose that depends upon each person's point of view. For atheists, agnostics, and communists the answer would be a resounding NO! On the other hand, most Americans are not atheists, agnostics nor communists. I suspect that Christians, Jews and Muslims would all applaud having a leader whose public life was guided by religion. For the most zealous of that lot's opinion would be conditioned on which branch of the Abrahamic tree the leader hung from. I doubt that most Americans even care about the President's religious convictions, though most probably do take some comfort from the idea that their President has a moral foundation that they can relate to.

Not so long ago a Catholic couldn't be elected President in this country because the People were afraid that the government would shift from Washington to Rome. Well, we've gotten over that hurtle and Joe Lieberman's Jewishness wasn't a problem with anyone but the haters out of the fringe who are prepared to tear down anyone who is standing up. It may be a long, long time before a Muslim can run for the Presidency with any real chance of winning, but in time ... why not. Personally, I would prefer a President who was a Buddhist. A Buddhist President? Even less likely than a Muslim President, and perhaps not as good a choice as a total atheist. Its about the individual, not their religion.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 10:51 am
Asherman wrote:

Don't try to justify Bush's bullshit by hiding behind semantics. But since that's the only way you could possibly excuse his actions and statements, so be it.

Its been demonstrated that Bush intended to go to war in Iraq regardless of the results of the weapons inspectors.

The White House had reports that the "mobile chemical and biological" trailers turned out to be false days before he publicly used them as a reason why we should go to war.

He had repeatedly linked 9-11 to Saddamn in a clever bit of wordplay which would still allow him to argue "Well, I never actually SAID Saddam had anything to do with 9/11!"

The White House knew the "yellowcake" story was false when they used it to justify the war.

It goes on and on.

Come on, man. Open your goddamn eyes. Bush is bending you over a table and you seem to be loving it.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 12:04 pm
Joe Notion wrote:

Quote:
Ticomayo wrote:
[quote]With regard to the claim that Bush said God told him to attack Iraq, if this is referring to what Bush is reported to have said to Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmoud Abas, that claim relies on a reading of a translation of a translation of a translation. Whatever Bush said to Abbas, Abbas heard the words as interpreted through a translator. Then a few weeks later, Abbas repeated the words as he remembered them, in Arabic. Whereupon some unknown person wrote down what he thought he heard Abbas say, at which point some reporter (or somebody else) translated the words back into English, and possibly first into Hebrew and then into English.
[/size]

So, two questions for you and please answer Yes or No.

Does George W. Bush believe that God is directing his life?[/quote]

I don't know, but if he does, it doesn't bother me. I believe in God, and I can think of worse things that direct one's life.

Quote:
Is this a good way to run a country?

Is what a good way to run a country? To believe God is directing your life? I can't see why it's inherently a bad thing. Spiritual men have been president before. I'd prefer a man who believes in God to an atheist. I'm sure you don't agree.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 12:08 pm
Generals on Rumsfeld

"He has shown himself incompetent strategically, operationally and tactically, and is far more than anyone responsible for what has happened to our important mission in Iraq. ... Mr. Rumsfeld must step down." -- Retired Army Maj. Gen. Paul Eaton.

"My sincere view is that the commitment of our forces to this fight was done with a casualness and swagger that are the special province of those who have never had to execute these missions -- or bury the results." -- Retired Marine Lt. Gen. Gregory Newbold.

Bush on Rumsfeld

"Secretary Rumsfeld's energetic and steady leadership is exactly what is needed at this critical period," Bush said after speaking with Donald Rumsfeld. "He has my full support and deepest appreciation."

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/politics/wire/sns-ap-rumsfeld-generals-quotes,1,5188103.story?coll=sns-ap-politics-headlines
0 Replies