High school principal bans US flag

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 04:30 am
The topic was adequately answered more than once. Nothing left now but to fill in with light banter until the thread dies a natural death.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 04:37 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
I think, Baldimo, that if you read the first supplied link, you would see that the American flag was being used for unsavoury purposes, by your fellow Americans, and THAT is what you should be worrying about.

They are at an impressionable age, and getting into the habit of flaunting their "American-ness" in other people's faces as a means of a power show, could lead them one day to be classic Bush style republicans.

A very scary prospect, as a fair portion of the world hopes that the Bush style of doing things will shortly die out, hopefully never to return.

There is nothing wrong with flaunting ones "Americaness" as you call it. I happen to think it is good of them to flaunt it and show that they are pround Americans. Was it any worse for the Mexican students to show their "Mexicaness" by waving around their flags? I don't think so. While I don't agree with the treatment that was being handed out I don't see a problem with the flag waving. If Mexican students who I'm sure some are illegal are going to show their pride then the American students should be allowed to do the same. Neither flag should be banned.

I don't agree with the Mexican students in the first place. If they love Mexico so much why are they here? This is America not Mexico.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 04:48 am
"When it involves the American flag and its abuse in vilifying other people, we simply will not tolerate it," Stumpf said. "They were using the symbol derisively as misguided patriotism."

In short, the kids with American flags were abusing the American flag to give others a bad time. The kids with Mexican flags in turn abused the Mexican flag to give others an equally bad time. It was appropriate to make both sides back off as the principle did.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 05:03 am
edgarblythe wrote:
"When it involves the American flag and its abuse in vilifying other people, we simply will not tolerate it," Stumpf said. "They were using the symbol derisively as misguided patriotism."

In short, the kids with American flags were abusing the American flag to give others a bad time. The kids with Mexican flags in turn abused the Mexican flag to give others an equally bad time. It was appropriate to make both sides back off as the principle did.

Would he do the same thing if students were trying to burn the Flag? Something tells me he wouldn't. To me flauting the Mexican flag in a school protest to suppport illegal aliens is the wrong thing to premit. That shouldn't have been allowed to happen.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 05:53 am
Something tells me you are painting the guy with a brush that covers everything you hate. I don't think you really see the man, but a symbol.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 06:13 am
Baldimo, you are indicating that you know this Principal. Do you?

If you don't, how the hell are you able to offer an opinion as to whether he would allow flag burning?

Again, you make assumptions as to whether these Mexicans are in the USA legally. They are attending an American school, so if I were to make any assumption at all regarding the matter, I would think that they are there legally, as the authorities are recognising them as legitimate students.
To jump to a conclusion straight away that they are illegals, shows your inbuilt prejudice.

If you think that it is good that young Americans flaunt their American-ness in this particular way, then you don't really have much reverence for your flag, and what it should TRULY stand for.

Not long ago, the USA was seen as THE shining light as far as democracy and opportunity were concerned.

It is the grown up flag waving taunters among you that have done that fine reputation much harm over recent years. In this instance, the stars and stripes were used purely to rub the noses of foreigners in the fact that their mother country is inferior to the USA.
The fact that Mexican flags were then waved, indicates that the arrogant message was effectively delivered, and responded to in kind.

Take all flags, barriers, borders, race and religion out of the classroom, as they are there to learn.
Leave all that stuff until they get home and watch Fox News.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 06:34 am
There's a sardonic German saying, "Und willst du nicht mein Bruder sein, so schlag' ich Dir den Schädel ein"

That translates "If you don't want to be my brother, then I'll smash your skull in", with a flagpole - and could well be Baldimo's motto.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 06:41 am
It should surprise no one, though, that Baldimo shows up to do exactly what MM did, and intends in every thread he starts. To paint someone he doesn't know in the vilest terms, and to erect strawmen concerning what other people think.

Say MM, i don't recall you answering that question from page 2--who called you a racist? Can you quote that post for us?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 06:49 am
Setanta wrote:

Say MM, i don't recall you answering that question from page 2--who called you a racist? Can you quote that post for us?

Thanks for resuming my question, Set, but I doubt we'll get an answer even if it is posted on every single site.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 07:16 am
I suspect you're right, Walter.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 09:20 am
Sure it's ok to wave a flag around, but when you use it in a violent nature, what does that say about you precious flag?
You power hungry flag wavers are just a bunch of bullies!
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 03:39 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Setanta wrote:
You began whining on page 2 of this thread that you'd been accused of being a racist, but you've not answered Walter's call for you to point out where you were called a racist.

Well, until now I've some quite intereresting responses, know more about MM's past - but hours and eight pages later still no response to this question.

Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:28 Post: 1958005 -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Folks, i'd say, don't waste your time on MM anymore. He came here looking for a fight to pick, and to confirm his irrational, unthinking bigotry against those whom he deems leftists. He just wants to squabble, and to "prove" to himself, once again, that anyone who doesn't agree with every uninformed, bigoted opinion he holds, can't be a right-thinking, patriotic 'Merican . . .

What a waste of time, i for one won't both with his tripe any longer, although i might drop in from time to time to point out to y'all just what a waste this is of your time.

So,I'm a "bigot"
Thats as bad as being a racist,and IMHO that was the intended meaning.

BTW,it was a post be Setanta.

I have a job and a family,thats why I'm not on here 24 hours a day,like some of you seem to be.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 03:44 pm
"Bigot" is equivalent to 'racist'? In what language/culture? Shocked
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 03:45 pm
First, i did not state at any time that you are a bigot. I give not a rat's ass what your opinion, which i've never known to be humble, is on the subject of what i intended. I don't maks my intentions, i speak plainly. Your quote of me bears that out. I did point out that you are displaying bigotry, not a surprise to anyone familiar with your style. As for the racist charge, that's completely unwarranted--but i'm used to hearing your hysterical whines.

Big difference, there, boyo . . . all racists are by definition bigots--not all bigots are racist. I specified your bigotry as being referential to those whom you commonly label as leftist. Your wild-eyed flailing at those who disagree with you, in which cases you fail to make valid distinctions, simply make you look the more ridiculous.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 03:47 pm
Quote:
Main Entry: 1big·ot Pronunciation Guide
Pronunciation: bigt, usu -d.+V
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): -s
Etymology: Middle French, bigot, hypocrite, from Old French bigot Norman
1 obsolete : HYPOCRITE; especially : a superstitious religious hypocrite
2 : one obstinately and irrationally, often intolerantly, devoted to his own church, party, belief, or opinion
synonym see ENTHUSIAST

source: "bigot." Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged. Merriam-Webster, 2002. http://unabridged.merriam-webster.com (4 Apr. 2006).
0 Replies