High school principal bans US flag

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 09:09 am
and others.

He claims its for safety reasons.
I think he is wrong.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/I/IMMIGRATION_FLAG_BAN?SITE=NMALJ&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,190184,00.html

http://cbs4denver.com/local/local_story_090213423.html

I gotta wonder,is this really for safety purposes,or does this principal have an agenda of his own.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,492 • Replies: 114
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 09:34 am
It's a temporary safety issue, done more in the interest of protecting something than disrespecting a flag.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 09:38 am
As far as understand mm'
s quoted report as well as unbiased others - this has only little if anything to do with banning the US flag.

What Edgar said.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 09:54 am
What is there to protect?

The students have a right to fly the American flag,after all,this IS America.

To be honest,I dont understand the people that claim to come to this country for a better life,but refuse to integrate.

If I left another country because that country supposedly had no jobs,I could have a better life here,whatever,I think I would be grateful for the opportunites afforded me and want to become part of the community,not outside it.

By constantly waving the flag of and supporting the land I fled,that seems to me to be a case of wanting the benefits without doing the work.

Since this school is funded with TAXPAYER money,and since it is a US public high school,I have no problem with students being allowed to fly the US flag.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 09:55 am
I think you just like to argue to hear your gums flap.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 10:01 am
Since when is stating my opinion arguing?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 10:11 am
mysteryman wrote:

Since this school is funded with TAXPAYER money,and since it is a US public high school,I have no problem with students being allowed to fly the US flag.

Obviously others - namely those, who are responsible for the safety of ALL pupils in that school - have a different opinion to yours.

Quote:
Skyline High School Principal Tom Stumpf said American flags were brazenly waved in the faces of Hispanic students and in one case a Mexican flag was thrown into the face of another student.

"When it involves the American flag and its abuse in vilifying other people, we simply will not tolerate it," Stumpf said. "They were using the symbol derisively as misguided patriotism."
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 10:18 am
These students weren't 'flying' the flags. They were using them, frankly, in a disrespectful manner to my mind.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 10:19 am
Little K and Walter have brought out the essential points why it was a necessary move.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 10:28 am
Folks, i'd say, don't waste your time on MM anymore. He came here looking for a fight to pick, and to confirm his irrational, unthinking bigotry against those whom he deems leftists. He just wants to squabble, and to "prove" to himself, once again, that anyone who doesn't agree with every uninformed, bigoted opinion he holds, can't be a right-thinking, patriotic 'Merican . . .

What a waste of time, i for one won't both with his tripe any longer, although i might drop in from time to time to point out to y'all just what a waste this is of your time.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 10:42 am
mostly I'm here to fine-tune my conceptions about various immigration issues, especially in the school setting. Part of my coursework at the moment.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 10:48 am
MM
Now I'm convinced that you're just looking for a fight!
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 11:32 am
I find this rather telling.
I posted the story,with 3 different sources,and I'm being called a racist and that I'm looking for a fight.

Am I a racist because I disagree with many of you,or because I disagree with what the principal did,or because I oppose ILLEGAL immigration,or because some of you can do nothing more then call names?

Please show me EXACTLY what I said that is racist,if you can!!
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 11:37 am
What happens if you wrap the flag around a baseball bat and whack some immigrants with it?
Would that be OK?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 11:38 am
MM
The reason why we are reacting the way we are is because you didn't look at the whole picture and reasons why the flag was removed in the first place.
And then maybe you did see the whole picture and just didn't care.

Either way, it smells bad!
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 11:39 am
Perhaps you should return to NaziBuzz where you are a beloved moderator and everyone appreciates your brilliance ...

Anon
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 11:44 am
mysteryman wrote:
I posted the story,with 3 different sources,and I'm being called a racist and that I'm looking for a fight.

Am I a racist because I disagree with many of you,or because I disagree with what the principal did,or because I oppose ILLEGAL immigration,or because some of you can do nothing more then call names?

Where did call you what poster HERE exactly "a racist"?

What I - now - do say is that your headline deliberately changed the meaning of the facts: students were forbidden from displaying ANY flag.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 11:46 am
I smell something burning.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 11:49 am
detano inipo wrote:
What happens if you wrap the flag around a baseball bat and whack some immigrants with it?
Would that be OK?

Then you are guilty of assault,and should be arrested and prosecuted.
No,its not fine,and I never said it was.

But,there is no mention of that hapening in the 3 articles I posted.
You are reading into it what you want to see,instead of what actually was written.

Montana,

Quote:
MM
The reason why we are reacting the way we are is because you didn't look at the whole picture and reasons why the flag was removed in the first place.
And then maybe you did see the whole picture and just didn't care.

Either way, it smells bad!

I did look at the whole picture,and I disagree with what was done.
The principal,instead of taking a stand and getting rid of those troublemakers,on both sides,made a decision that in my view was the wrong one.
He should have done what was right,instead of what was easy.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 11:50 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

Where did call you what poster HERE exactly "a racist"?

What I - now - do say is that your headline deliberately changed the meaning of the facts: students were forbidden from displaying ANY flag.

And I said that,right at the top of my original post.
I did not say that it was only the American flag.
0 Replies