Dialysis...What's the real story.

flushd

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 06:48 pm
Simon and Garfunkel rocks:) Hang in there Sturgis. Sending some good vibes your way....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 08:50 pm
Thanks, Beth!
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 05:59 am
Sorry for the delays. I keep meaning to let you all know the latest, however the latest has been essentially the same. No changes which is good actually since that means it ain't getting worse.

In the meantime I have managed to get a nephrologist closer to home although it still requires the kindness of strangers (have you met my family? They are decidedly strange...then again, maybe I'm the strange one) to get me to the dialysis 3 times weekly which has now been transferred over to Lebanon (New Hampshire). Trust me on this one, Vermont is not a good place to have your kidneys go haywire...not nearly enough people so the dialysis treatment locations are severely limited.

So, life is staying good, staying decent and winter seems to be over so the wood chopping can end. Now, let me get back to hunting down the evil Setanta to see if I can irritate him Twisted Evil ...it's been a while since I've had that enjoyment.

Coming up next I'll get into the details of a man in his 50's learning to drive.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 06:16 am
I'm so glad you got a nephrologist closer to you....I'm assuming Lebanon is closer too.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 06:23 am
It's slightly closer but still a bit of a haul...about 50 miles...each way.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 06:28 am
Sturgis wrote:
Now, let me get back to hunting down the evil Setanta to see if I can irritate him Twisted Evil ...it's been a while since I've had that enjoyment.

Coming up next I'll get into the details of a man in his 50's learning to drive.

Should I send Setanta down to give you some driving lessons?

That oughta do it for both of you Twisted Evil Laughing Twisted Evil Laughing Twisted Evil Cool
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 06:41 am
ehBeth wrote:

Should I send Setanta down to give you some driving lessons?

That oughta do it for both of you Twisted Evil Laughing Twisted Evil Laughing Twisted Evil Cool

You wouldn't be trying to get rid of him now would ya be? As long as I didn't say anything about politics, religion, the economy or tofu I would be safe....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 07:03 am
Good to hear you sounding more cheerful, Sturgis! Very Happy

Yes, do tell us about the driving lessons!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 01:38 pm
EhBeth--

You are a wicked woman--but efficient.

Sturgis--

I have a college friend who learned to drive at 65 when she retired from the Big City and learned to live without Public Transportation.
Aside from some senior moments involving stop signs, she does well.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 04:47 pm
Ah, so there's still an element of hope (just hope the roads are clear when I zip down them...the speed limit is what..140?)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 04:58 pm
Sturgis--

Just be sure you know what to do when you encounter a school bus with flashing red lights.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 05:13 pm
Honk loudly and hit the gas?
Move to the sidewalk?
Reach over to adjust the radio station?
Munch on a donut and drink some coffee?

...oh wait...this is one of those situations where I am supposed to stop and let the children get safely to the center of the road...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 05:39 pm
Sturgis--

You're learning. After all, why should a school bus get both lanes?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 05:42 pm
Sturgis - how in the world did you get by in VT without a driving license!?!
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 02:17 am
littlek wrote:
Sturgis - how in the world did you get by in VT without a driving license!?!

Bicycle, walk a lot...I live within 2 or 3 miles of most of my needs, not too far from the bus station for trips out of town and various friends and occasional drop by family members who have given me rides to various spots. With the recent changes, I realized my reluctance to learn this new fangled idea might be helpful. (Just hope these automobiles aren't going to turn out to be a temporary trend).

The thing is over the years there have been various half attempts at learning to drive, I just never saw the real need and I am somewhat offended by the idea of using up natural resources such as gas just for my laziness. If I have a legitimate reason for driving, I can better stomach the idea.

(add to this that my half attempts at learning to drive have not been pretty)
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 06:50 am
Sturgis wrote:
Ah, so there's still an element of hope (just hope the roads are clear when I zip down them...the speed limit is what..140?)

Only in the winter months.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 11:30 am
You have to go to Lebanon three times/week? Yowsah! Isn't Burlington closer for you than Dartmouth-Hitchcock?

I laughed when I read about the prior attempts at learning to drive. My mother told similar stories and never did get her license.

Sending more arrows your way, Sturgis.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 05:13 pm
J_B it is a close call but not too close. Lebanon is about 50 miles from here whereas Burlington is a little more than 60. Not a great amount on paper but that adds up to more than 60 miles total each week. Besides the doctor I ended up with works through Dartmouth.

Ouch...one of those arrows just hit my knee.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 05:48 pm
Sturgis--

Quote:
think it is great thing. Granted there are some complaints of skaters using private parking lots and stairwells and such, but I believe that could be helped by creating some public skate friendly places.

Haven't you heard about the theraputic benefits of myopic acupuncture?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 06:42 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Sturgis--

Haven't you heard about the theraputic benefits of myopic acupuncture?

You do have a point there Laughing
0 Replies