Dialysis...What's the real story.

Noddy24

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 11:20 am
Chai--

Your clinic in Austin certainly did fabulous work. I'm talking about ill evacuees here in Yankee Land who were so bewildered by the hullabaloo and strange surroundings that they neglected all sorts of medical matters.

In any case, Sturgis is not a passive person.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 04:53 pm
Noddy, you're going to need to explain that one to me....

Are you talking about Katrina evacuees that chose to go to a northern state rather than some place closer?

Austin was not something special. I wasn't writng that to pat myself on the back..Every evacuee in Louisianna was given the information I mentioned. Oh I forgot, and a copy of all their medical paperwork in a zip lock bag that held everything they would need to walk in somewhere and get help.

In that case, the people from Louisiana are to be commended in getting everyone all this info, when at the same time THEIR homes and families were in danger. Picture everyone at your place of work worrying about their own chances of survival, but staying so that others will have what they need to get their care.

All clinics from all companies from all over the country were doing the same thing if patients were coming their way...This was a national undertaking. Just the shifitng of inventory supplies, like dialyzers, drugs, needles was logistically massive.

The people that went North were certainly no more bewildered or no less uniformed about their options.

The process remained the same....In addition to being given lists of clinics and dietary guidelines, they were aware of the internet where clinics all other the country, from all companies could be found. The were also given the phone # of ESRD (End Stage Renal Disease Network) where they could call and receive the information. The ways to get people what they needed was much more than adequate.

They could have shown up at Yankee Land Emergency rooms and dialyzed there, or the hospital could have referred them where to go.

For people who lived in LA, being evacuated anywhere put them in strange surroundings. If a person said they had absolutely no idea what to do, they were pulling your leg.

I'm sorry, but it really gets me when (Not you Noddy) people who are intelligent or have their entire family with them, with someone who knows how to read a phone #, dumps their lack of the initiative on someone else to "take care of me, I can't do it"

We had people going to hotels to pick up people and take them back from the clinic, and I'm sure a lot of done that never hit the official record.

Bewildered isn't the word I'm thinking of.

Sturgis is going to be a great, he's accountable and will be active in his care..

However, for anyone out there who works in any health care sector, you know what I mean when I say many people just don't get the connection, and will pretend ignorance when they know damn well what to do.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 05:27 pm
Sturgis wrote:
....but I'm a Virgo so I have special powers Shocked and may be able to get away from those pesky machines.

Sending a few more virgo vibes your way.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 06:01 pm
Chai-we have a few hundred evacuees in Pa still. I dont know how many of these are special needs (dialysis being just one), but its nowhere near what you guys in Texas are experiencing.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 07:10 pm
Oh everythings back to normal now...we even got some great nurses and techs out of it.

they evacuated out here too...

a really nice couple from NO just bought the house next door, a definite plus.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 12:29 pm
Chai--

I can't give you details on the evacuees who treated dialysis as an optional activity. I'm pretty sure my information comes from one of The New Yorker profiles.

Meanwhile, believe me, on the fringes of Mr. Noddy's family I've dealt with people who were two busy to attend to birth control who wound up pregnant and people who couldn't make the time to pick up nitro who had chest pains and people who didn't have surgical incisions checked who had to cope with infected surgical incisions.....

I've read of patients who let dialysis slide for a week or so--and I believe this is possible.

I'm not talking about hundreds of people--but even two or three people are too many.

If you see the Medical Establishment as your jailer rather than as your salvation you are going to do stupid things.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 05:21 pm
2PacksAday wrote:
Sturgis wrote:
....but I'm a Virgo so I have special powers Shocked and may be able to get away from those pesky machines.

Just to lighten the mood, now I know why, when logging on this morning, I thought to myself "First thing, better check and see how The Sturgeon's getting on!"

Chai -

The information you've been giving is incredible. I'll never think of "evacuations" as just putting people on buses and getting them to shelter again. Thank you for broadening my horizon just that much more.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 05:55 am
2PacksAday wrote:
Sturgis wrote:

Three Virgos. Powers -- activated!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 08:41 am
with a side order of sagitarius.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 05:13 pm
Double the Sagittarius--on the cusp. Centaur arrows may wound, but they also heal.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 04:38 pm
So far it seems to be working...those arrows of help that is. Or maybe it's this Simon and Garfunkel c.d. (which is odd since I never cared much for those guys).

Topping off the fun I have managed to get a cold...what next?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 04:49 pm
Hi Sturgis,
I am a Virgo too, but I am not sure if you are dialoging with me due to my humorizing of sexual orientations, which if course is rather ironic given my orientation, in any case be well.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 05:36 pm
Glad the arrows are working, Sturgis. Sorry to hear about the cold. This too shall pass....

Hang in there dude, read any good books lately?
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 05:46 pm
Good luck with everything Sturgis! In case no one mentioned it,

DON'T MISS ANY APPOINTMENTS!!

Stay positive and stay on top of your treatment!!

Anon
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:12 pm
Hang in there, Sturgis!
I seem to have caught a cold, too, in sympathy!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 11:27 am
Sturgis--

Job had boils. When you get boils, you'll be able to one-up Job.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 11:31 am
A quiver full of arrows headed your way, Sturgis. hat sounds bad.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 03:02 pm
Sturgis--

Anything happening?

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 03:04 pm
Another concerned friend checking in......
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 03:11 pm
he's busy over in public policy right now

http://www.able2know.com/forums/search.php?search_author=Sturgis
0 Replies