Should War Supporters be Drafted into Active War Service

woiyo

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 07:49 am
msolga wrote:
Some might enlist because the military is one of the few forms of employment open to them, I suspect. But that shouldn't mean putting their lives on the line for highly dubious political reasons or to support US business enterprises in situations like Iraq. My hunch is that not too many of the sons & daughters of the wealthy have rushed to enlist.

Nice spin. Now some facts.

Total US Military Active - Approx 1.4 million
Total US Citizens available for service - approx 134 million

That translates to about 1%.

Apparantly, not too much of anyone or any class. You can spread that 1% around any class you want, but many "affluent" attend the millitary acadamys or volunteer and most enjoy their experience and few are killed or injured.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 07:52 am
Montana wrote:

Are all these innocent lives actually worth this oil?

People can trade in their SUV's and start driving Hybrid cars, etc.

No, they aren't. But we are a country of excess, and people are going to be hard to turn.

I mean, look at the Hummer. What the hell is that thing good for? People buy the gas guzzling (8 mpg) monstrosity because they can. People won't stop being stupid until it's either too late or they are directly effected by it.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 07:54 am
woiyo wrote:
msolga wrote:
Some might enlist because the military is one of the few forms of employment open to them, I suspect. But that shouldn't mean putting their lives on the line for highly dubious political reasons or to support US business enterprises in situations like Iraq. My hunch is that not too many of the sons & daughters of the wealthy have rushed to enlist.

Apparantly, not too much of anyone or any class. You can spread that 1% around any class you want, but many "affluent" attend the millitary acadamys or volunteer and most enjoy their experience and few are killed or injured.

It'd be interesting to see an actual breakdown of the numbers, based on class. Of ordinary troops.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 07:59 am
Bella Dea wrote:
Montana wrote:

No, they aren't. But we are a country of excess, and people are going to be hard to turn.

I mean, look at the Hummer. What the hell is that thing good for? People buy the gas guzzling (8 mpg) monstrosity because they can. People won't stop being stupid until it's either too late or they are directly effected by it.

I'm afraid your right, Bella and I can't get over how very powerful greed is :-(

Trading blood for oil is just something I never thought I'd live to see!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 08:21 am
Woiyo's snotty and typical conservative whine addresses none of the very good points Miss Olga brought up about the young men and women of the military risking their lives, being maimed and dying for the sh!ts at Haliburton, and Bechtel and all of the other bloodsuckers who profit because they're @sshole buddies with the Shrub and Cheney.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 08:30 am
msolga wrote:
woiyo wrote:
msolga wrote:

It'd be interesting to see an actual breakdown of the numbers, based on class. Of ordinary troops.

When you say "ordinary troops", do you mean non-reserve?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 08:38 am
I'm not sure of the correct terminology McG, but what I mean is ordinary troops who have enlisted & are involved in front line military activities, rather than say, those who have enlisted via military academies, or have non-combatantive functions in the military.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 08:45 am
McG
I was just noticing your avatar and it seems you have already forgotten that Osama is still free!

If you don't remember who he is, I'd be happy to explain it to you ;-)
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 08:48 am
Bella Dea wrote:
Montana wrote:

I mean, look at the Hummer. What the hell is that thing good for?

It is good for allaying the insecurities and inadequacies of those who buy them.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 08:49 am
All the "ordinary" troops have officers that fight along side with them. To be an officer, one must have a college education and demonstrate the ability to be a leader. Many of those officers graduate from from military academies like West Point which have very strict admission policies and invite only the very best recruits from all strata of economic means.

But, your average private in the military is generally a high school graduate that chose the military as a either a temporary job (with many benefits over working McDonalds) or as a career. There are more privates that lieutenants serving in the front lines. But again, they come from all walks of life.

The military offers much to many.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 08:51 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
Montana wrote:

It is good for allaying the insecurities and inadequacies of those who buy them.

And that's about it.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 08:54 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
Montana wrote:

Oh yeah, no doubt about that!

Little pee pee = Big truck
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 09:02 am
Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 09:03 am
McGentrix wrote:
All the "ordinary" troops have officers that fight along side with them. To be an officer, one must have a college education and demonstrate the ability to be a leader. Many of those officers graduate from from military academies like West Point which have very strict admission policies and invite only the very best recruits from all strata of economic means.

But, your average private in the military is generally a high school graduate that chose the military as a either a temporary job (with many benefits over working McDonalds) or as a career. There are more privates that lieutenants serving in the front lines. But again, they come from all walks of life.

The military offers much to many.

In Australia (& I know there are huge differences in the size & nature of the military in both our countries) young people often join the military as a means of gaining a tertiary education, or learning a trade. These are often young people who could otherwise remain unemployed or have their education opportunities restricted due to lack of financial resources. In other words, they are often young people who come from less privileged backgrounds & have fewer employment options open to them than the offspring of wealthier families. So, my thinking is that there could well be a "class" element in the composition of "front-line" (fighting) troops.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 09:10 am
Setanta wrote:
Woiyo's snotty and typical conservative whine addresses none of the very good points Miss Olga brought up about the young men and women of the military risking their lives, being maimed and dying for the sh!ts at Haliburton, and Bechtel and all of the other bloodsuckers who profit because they're @sshole buddies with the Shrub and Cheney.

If facts about the statistical makeup of our military upset you, that's your problem.

You know I do not agree with the tactics of this campaign by this administration, but I find the very low casualty rate to be a direct reflection of the committment, training and passion of our troops have for their duty.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 09:17 am
The point I was attempting to make is that there could well be a huge discrepancy in the wealth & power of the politicians & business interests who advocated & profited from, say, the invasion Iraq & those ordinary troops who are doing the actual fighting & dying.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 09:26 am
msolga wrote:
The point I was attempting to make is that there could well be a huge discrepancy in the wealth & power of the politicians & business interests who advocated & profited from, say, the invasion Iraq & those ordinary troops who are doing the actual fighting & dying.

Conspiracy theory? Did those same "business interest" advocate for war in Afganistan? Kosovo? Somalia?

For some reason this adminstration feels they have to rebuid Iraq. So, who should be doing the actual rebuilding?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 09:29 am
I would agree that the same situation occurs within the US military.

neat census information I found regarding US military.

doesn't say anything about economic background, but intresting.

I also found this:

Graph showing demographics of US Military enlistment

and this:

Graph showing US military recruitment by household income

from this site.

It has some intresting facts.

Quote:
The plain fact is that the income distribution of recruits is nearly identical to the income distribu­tion of the general population ages 18-24. Because we lack individualized household income data, our approach does not indicate whether or not the recruits came from the poorer households in their neighborhoods. Nevertheless, Chart 3 shows that the difference between the 1999 recruit distribution of ZCTA income and the population distribution is below a single percentage point for 19 of the 20 income brackets. Yet even these slight differences show a sub­tle pattern: Proportionally, both poorer and richer areas provide slightly fewer recruits, and middle-income areas provide slightly more.

This evidence directly contradicts Representative Rangel's claim that under­privileged Americans are the source of military manpower and that the privileged are underrepresented. In fact, Chart 4 shows that every ZCTA income bracket below $40,000 provided the same number or fewer recruits after 9/11, while all brackets above $40,000 provided the same number or more.( second graph above)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 09:33 am
woiyo wrote:
If facts about the statistical makeup of our military upset you, that's your problem.

That had nothing to do with my response--my response was based upon the venal and greedy motive of the Shrub and his Forty Theives of Baghdad. But Miss Olga has adequately addressed that--and the unbid sweetheart contracts which Halliburton and its subsidiaries and Bechtel received speak volumes about the motives of Cheney and his ilk.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 10:28 am
Setanta wrote:
woiyo wrote:

That had nothing to do with my response--my response was based upon the venal and greedy motive of the Shrub and his Forty Theives of Baghdad. But Miss Olga has adequately addressed that--and the unbid sweetheart contracts which Halliburton and its subsidiaries and Bechtel received speak volumes about the motives of Cheney and his ilk.

So which international firms are more qualified to accept those contracts?
0 Replies