Russ Feingold Proposes Censure of Bush on Illegal Spying

xingu

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 07:12 am
Quote:
Torture Rooms
Iraq is more free every day. The lives of the citizens are improving every day. And one thing is for certain; there won't be any more mass graves and torture rooms and rape rooms.
George W. Bush
Remarks to Reporters
January 12, 2004

As the Iraqi insurgency intensified in early 2004, an elite Special Operations forces unit converted one of Saddam Hussein's former military bases near Baghdad into a top-secret detention center. There, American soldiers made one of the former Iraqi government's torture chambers into their own interrogation cell. They named it the Black Room.
New York Times
Before and After Abu Ghraib,a U.S. Unit Abused Detainees
March 19, 2006

It looks like he's just one atrocity away from hitting the trifecta.

Posted by billmon at 11:49 PM
March 14, 2006
Mass Graves
Iraq is more free every day. The lives of the citizens are improving every day. And one thing is for certain; there won't be any more mass graves and torture rooms and rape rooms.
George W. Bush
Remarks to Reporters
January 12, 2004

Daylight Tuesday brought the discovery of at least 86 shot or strangled men across the city, most of them with hands tied and many of them tortured, according to police. They included 27 corpses in one of the first mass graves to be found in the capital since the U.S. invasion three years ago..
Washington Post
At Least 86 Found Shot Or Strangled In Baghdad
March 12, 2006

http://billmon.org/

As usual it looks like Bush is out of touch with reality. So why should anyone believe him about Iran or anything he says?

This president has no credibility.

This puts a blindfold on and looks around him and tells us what he sees. Or, as he said in a speech in Ohio recently;

Quote:
"Others look at the violence they see each night on their television screens and they wonder how I can remain so optimistic about the prospects of success in Iraq. They wonder what I see that they don't."
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 04:34 pm
Late Nite FDL: Russ Feingold and the Courage to Do the Right Thing
By Jane Hamsher

Anybody who didn't see Russ Feingold on the Daily Show tonight needs to do so (Crooks & Liars has the video). He truly comes off as a man who has the confidence of knowing he did the right thing when everyone around him was doing the Bob Shrum shuffle into the center, standing up for what he believed in while others were too preoccupied with calculating their own political futures to bother.

We're not hearing much of that "Russ Feingold: political opportunist" meme any more, but I myself am delighted that someone in the party was smart enough to see that the base was ripe for seizing and then did it. While oily DC insiders were oozing over the political brilliance of Rahm Emmanuel's sabotage of the progressives, Feingold did an end-run around the party bosses. The audience at the Daily Show was effusive; you could hear the the ardor he inspired. Feingold was funny without being glib and he came across as self-effacing, principled, and just awkward enough with the format to be thoroughly charming. And his message set the crowd to cheering.

I spent the day with my mom, a lifelong Republican who said today that "my party has abandoned me." She does't like the Democrats either because she doesn't see them fighting for people like her. She thought Feingold's courage to buck the party dons and stand up to George Bush was inspirational. If people like my mom are ready to listen the whole political landscape could soon be shifting.

As someone who pioneered campaign finance reform Feingold can't suck up to the big money bosses, but he has a chance to re-write the rules of the game with netroots support. So give him your email address and help him kick up a little dust. http://www.firedoglake.com/2006/03/22/late-nite-fdl-russ-feingold-and-the-courage-to-do-the-right-thing/
0 Replies