Russ Feingold Proposes Censure of Bush on Illegal Spying

mele42846

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 12:39 am
Rasmussen has Bush at 43%. AP-Ipsos at 37%,

Roxxxane asks whether that is good for a wartime president. I don't know. President Truman got 22% in Feb. 1952 when the Korean War was on. Carter got 28% during the Iran crisis.
I am sure that Roxxxane knows that President Bush will not run again. If he rates at 37% or 27 % or 47% it is meaningless. He is not running again.

Roxxxane says--quote

No one who posts on a political forum should know that impeachment formally starts in the House Judiciary Committee.

I am sure that Roxxxane misspoke and meant that ANYONE who posts should know-----

That's what I tried to tell Parados..

But Roxxxane says that a Senate investigation could uncover offenses that could start an investigation that could lead to impeachment.

Possibly, but the Democratic Senators were URGED by the Republican senators to vote on Sen. Finegold's censure motion. They refused to do so.

I wonder why?

Again, it is clear that both parties are looking toward November's elections.

The takeover of the Senate majority by the Democrats is out of the question at this time.

The takeover of the House majority by the Democrats is possible but not probable. Any examination by experts of the House races( See Cook's Reports) indicates that there are at the most 20 or so Republican Seats at risk and 10 or so Democratic Seats at risk.

One of the most important reasons for this is the fact that there was a massive redistricing after the 2000 census in which BOTH PARTIES reorganized districts to protect their incumbents.

I predict that the Republicans will hold on to their majorities in the House and Senate in 2006 and that President Bush will continue with his agenda.

The nomination and appointment of another USSC judge would be a big plus before 11/2008.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 10:07 am
So we shall see what support the censure gets.

I might remind "the people" that this is supposed to be a government of the people, by the people and for the people. So those who support the censure need to call their Senators and urge them to vote FOR.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 10:13 am
mele42846 wrote:

Possibly, but the Democratic Senators were URGED by the Republican senators to vote on Sen. Finegold's censure motion. They refused to do so.

That's a procedural move, maybe you need to get past high school civics 101. You don't introduce such a bold move and hold a vote on iot the same day. If you want to educate yourself as to how the legislative process works, start watching CSPAn I and II.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 10:16 am
mele42846 wrote:

Roxxxane asks whether that is good for a wartime president. I don't know. President Truman got 22% in Feb. 1952 when the Korean War was on. Carter got 28% during the Iran crisis.
I am sure that Roxxxane knows that President Bush will not run again. If he rates at 37% or 27 % or 47% it is meaningless. He is not running again.

Korea was considered a police action at the time. And I never knew we were at war with Iran. That is a scoop.

Issuing typo flames only makes the accuser look stupid, especially on a forum where editing is often impossible.
0 Replies

paull

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 04:00 pm
Flames, of any kind, make the accuser look stupid. I don't understand why people with good points to make can't be civil. It can't be a surprise that some people on these forums are less articulate than others, may be less informed about legislative procedure than others, or even DISAGREE with one another, but still have worthwhile input. Leave your "occupation" behind Roxxxane.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 04:17 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
mele42846 wrote:

Korea was considered a police action at the time. And I never knew we were at war with Iran. That is a scoop.

Issuing typo flames only makes the accuser look stupid, especially on a forum where editing is often impossible.

Roxxanne,
I hate to tell you this,but while we were never at war with Iran,for 444 days there was a serious crisis with Iran.

Here,for your education,are some links you might read to learn what he was talking about...

http://www.bartleby.com/65/ir/Iranhost.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_hostage_crisis

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/carter/peopleevents/e_hostage.html

You might want to read those,and you will understand exactly what the Iran crisis was.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 09:38 pm
The day I need the likes of mysterymen to educate me on anything is the day I put a bullet in my brain. Why does he waste bandwidth trying to tell me something anyone with the IQ of a flea would realize I already know?

Anyway, I don't need links is there anything about the Iran Hostage Crisis YOU would like to know, just ask.

Carter allowed himself to be held hostage, he became the antithesis (look it up, rube) of a war president, being perceived as weak and innefctual. Then, of course, the rescue effort wound up a disaster. Every night, after suffering odd/even gas rationing, America tuned in to watch America Held Hostage with Ted Koppel which later became Nightline.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 11:27 pm
If nothing else, Feingold's Folly appears to have unified the Democratic Party:

Quote:
The Feingold Resolution and the Sound of Silence

By Dana Milbank
Wednesday, March 15, 2006; Page A02

Democratic senators, filing in for their weekly caucus lunch yesterday, looked as if they'd seen a ghost.

"I haven't read it," demurred Barack Obama (Ill.).

"I just don't have enough information," protested Ben Nelson (Neb.). "I really can't right now," John Kerry (Mass.) said as he hurried past a knot of reporters -- an excuse that fell apart when Kerry was forced into an awkward wait as Capitol Police stopped an aide at the magnetometer.

Hillary Rodham Clinton (N.Y.) brushed past the press pack, shaking her head and waving her hand over her shoulder. When an errant food cart blocked her entrance to the meeting room, she tried to hide from reporters behind the 4-foot-11 Barbara Mikulski (Md.).

"Ask her after lunch," offered Clinton's spokesman, Philippe Reines. But Clinton, with most of her colleagues, fled the lunch out a back door as if escaping a fire.

In a sense, they were. The cause of so much evasion was S. Res. 398, the resolution proposed Monday by Sen. Russell Feingold (D-Wis.) calling for the censure of President Bush for his warrantless wiretapping program. At a time when Democrats had Bush on the ropes over Iraq, the budget and port security, Feingold single-handedly turned the debate back to an issue where Bush has the advantage -- and drove another wedge through his party.

So nonplused were Democrats that even Sen. Charles Schumer (N.Y.), known for his near-daily news conferences, made history by declaring, "I'm not going to comment." Would he have a comment later? "I dunno," the suddenly shy senator said.

Republicans were grateful for the gift. The office of Sen. John Cornyn (Tex.) put a new "daily feature" on its Web site monitoring the censure resolution: "Democrat co-sponsors of Feingold Resolution: 0."

Many of Feingold's Democratic colleagues agree that Bush abused his authority with the NSA spying program. And they know liberal Democratic activists are eager to see Bush censured, or worse. But they also know Feingold's maneuver could cost them seats in GOP states.

Hence the elaborate efforts to avoid comment. Five Democratic senators called a news conference yesterday to talk about the Bush budget's "dangerously irresponsible priorities" -- but three of them fled the room before allowing questions. The other two were stuck.

"Was it a good idea for Senator Feingold to bring up this resolution?" came the first question, from CNN's Ed Henry.

"He brings up some very important issues," Debbie Stabenow (Mich.) ventured.

Henry was unsatisfied. "So do you support censure, or not?

Stabenow took another stab. "It needs to have hearings," she said.

Mary Landrieu (La.) pursed her lips. "Senator Feingold has a point that he wants to make," she said. "We have a point that we want to make, talking about the budget."

"Senators," an aide interrupted, "we need to go."

Next in the Senate TV gallery came Schumer. An aide hung up a poster showing a port. The senator called the ports situation "extremely troubling." The aide hung up a poster of an Exxon cartoon. "Obscene profits," decreed Schumer, equally passionately.

CNN's Henry asked the Feingold question. Schumer ended the news conference.

Outside the Democrats' lunch downstairs, the senators were similarly agile. The number two Democratic leader, Richard Durbin (Ill.), darted out of an elevator and into lunch when he thought nobody was looking.

"I haven't made any judgment," said Jeff Bingaman (N.M.). Two minutes later, he reappeared. "I will support an alternative that would call for an investigation," he amended.

The one Democrat happy to talk was Feingold, who, in a pre-lunch chat with reporters, seemed to enjoy his colleagues' squirms. "I'm concerned about the approach Democrats are taking, which is too often cowering," he said.

Feingold, seeking liberals' support for the 2008 presidential nomination, said he wasn't motivated by politics. But then he slipped. "If there's any Democrat out there who can't say . . . the president has no right to make up his own laws, I don't know if that Democrat really is the right candidate," he said of his likely primary opponents.

After an hour of closed-door negotiations, Democrats were no closer to resolving the Feingold rift.

"Most of us feel at best it's premature," announced Sen. Christopher Dodd (Conn.). "I don't think anyone can say with any certainty at this juncture that what happened is illegal."

Dodd must not have checked with Sen. Tom Harkin (Iowa). "The president broke the law and he needs to be held accountable," he said. "Talk about high crimes and misdemeanors!" Harkin said he'll vote for the Feingold resolution -- if it comes up.

That gives Feingold two solid votes, including his own. The rest: avowedly undecided.

Schumer, leaving the lunch, still hadn't found his voice. " He's gonna talk about it," Schumer said, pointing to Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid (Nev.).

Reporters, as instructed, asked Reid where he stood. "It's a question that's been asked 33 times in the last few hours," he said. "And so, for the 34th time, I'm going to say the same thing: I'm going to wait . . .''

© 2006 The Washington Post Company

Yup, they seem all to be together on this; the only one missing from the fold is Feingold. And of course, its all Rove's fault.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 06:09 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
The day I need the likes of mysterymen to educate me on anything is the day I put a bullet in my brain. Why does he waste bandwidth trying to tell me something anyone with the IQ of a flea would realize I already know?

Anyway, I don't need links is there anything about the Iran Hostage Crisis YOU would like to know, just ask.

Carter allowed himself to be held hostage, he became the antithesis (look it up, rube) of a war president, being perceived as weak and innefctual. Then, of course, the rescue effort wound up a disaster. Every night, after suffering odd/even gas rationing, America tuned in to watch America Held Hostage with Ted Koppel which later became Nightline.

Then I suggest you shoot yourself now.
You may not like it,but you learn something from me every time you read anything I post.
You may not like what you learn,and you may not want to admit it,but it does happen.

I don't need to ask you about what happened in Iran,I was part of it,granted on the outside edge while in the service,but I was part of it.

You tell me to look up the word antithesis,but then you cant spell ineffectual.
I find that funny.
But,for your education and enjoyment,here it is...

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/antithesis

There you will find the word,its proper spelling,its meaning,its latin and greek root words,and how to pronounce it properly.
I hope that helps you with your english.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 07:13 am
Here we go again.

Quote:
Feingold Accuses Senate Democrats of "Cowering" To Bush

Sen. Feingold said the following to Fox News' Trish Turner:

I'm amazed at Democrats, cowering with this president's numbers so low. The administration just has to raise the specter of the war and the Democrats run and hide. … Too many Democrats are going to do the same thing they did in 2000 and 2004. In the face of this, they'll say we'd better just focus on domestic issues. … [Democrats shouldn't] cower to the argument, that whatever you do, if you question the administration, you're helping the terrorists.

http://thinkprogress.org/2006/03/14/feingold-accuses/

Quote:
Cue Republican Whining and Posturing on Feingold
by Matt Stoller, Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 03:56:06 PM EST

According to Progress Now, Senator Wayne 'Whiny' Allard, Republican of Colorado, accused Feingold of 'siding with terrorists' by introducing his censure resolution. They have a petition up demanding Allard apologize. Frankly, Senator Whiny Allard should be expelled from the Senate for accusing a colleague of treason.

Senator Feingold, you are a man of integrity and a real Democrat. I'm proud of your strength and your leadership.

Senator Allard, your weak, cowardly nature means that you don't know what it means to fight the fear that terrorists seek to spread. You and conservatives like you enable terrorists with your weakness and posturing. May I recommend Depends brand undergarments, in case you soil yourself in the Senate as you cower in the corner?

source
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 07:43 am
OMFG! Another typo flame! Just shoot me!

Yes, I am learning sopmething from mystery's posts. Don't suffer fools.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 07:51 am
There is a feeling among some Democrats that Bush is already hanging himself with his own rope and are afraid of a Clinton-like backlash to a move like censure and/or impeachment.

There is a great deal of grassroots support for this resolution among the the Democrat/liberal/progressive base. One may see that support reflected in our reprersentatives if people start pressuring their senators.

Some obeservors say, and I agree, that this a win-win situation for Feingold. As it will set him apart from the spineless Dem leadership if it doesn't gain support. The other win would be that the resolution would garner support among Dem senators.

So the $64,000 question is: WWHD? What will Hillary do?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 10:08 am
At least Feinglod has the balls to actually stand up for what he believes in. Unlike all him democratic party partners who would have no part in his action, I give Russ credit for taking it to the floor.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 10:30 am
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/03/15/D8GC0DC01.html

"Democrats run and hide" when the administration invokes the war on terrorism, Feingold told reporters.

"I'm amazed at Democrats ... cowering with this president's numbers so low," Feingold said. "

This democratic party has no balls, no ideas and no future.

Too bad. The Democrats used to stand for something. Now, they stand for nothing.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 01:10 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
(look it up, rube)

californians are rubes? damn. no matter where i go, that word follows me around like a hungry cat... Confused
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 01:13 pm
woiyo wrote:
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/03/15/D8GC0DC01.html

"Democrats run and hide" when the administration invokes the war on terrorism, Feingold told reporters.

"I'm amazed at Democrats ... cowering with this president's numbers so low," Feingold said. "

This democratic party has no balls, no ideas and no future.

Too bad. The Democrats used to stand for something. Now, they stand for nothing.

yep, it is bummer. and i agree with you on feingold. at least he hitched 'em on and said his thing.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 01:49 pm
Second senator sponsors censure resolution

RAW STORY
Published: Wednesday March 15, 2006

Sen. Tom Harkin (D-Iowa) has become the first co-sponsor to Sen. Russ Feingold's (D-Wis.) controversial resolution to censure President Bush for authorizing an allegedly illegal domestic surveillance program, ROLL CALL reports.

Excerpts:

"In a brief interview, Harkin said, "I think it makes sense. ... Quite frankly, I think we ought to have a full-fledged debate on this."

"When asked if the president violated the Constitution by pressing ahead with the wiretapping effort, Harkin said, "Everything I've seen looks that way."

"Feingold said that even though support for his resolution is low so far, he believes he is already meeting his goal of reopening the debate on the matter."
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 06:22 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
OMFG! Another typo flame! Just shoot me!

Yes, I am learning sopmething from mystery's posts. Don't suffer fools.

Then we are all witing to hear the news of your suicide.

Remember,you said...
Quote:
The day I need the likes of mysterymen to educate me on anything is the day I put a bullet in my brain.

So,you needed me to learn that,so when is your suicide?
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 06:47 pm
Third Democratic senator backs censure resolution

RAW STORY
Published: Wednesday March 15, 2006

Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-CA) has become the third U.S. senator to back a move to censure President Bush over the warrantless wiretapping program. She joins Sen. Tom Harkin (D-IA) and Sen. Russ Feingold (D-WI)

Boxer's office said she would support the measure.

"Senator Boxer has said she would vote for the Feingold resolution," Boxer press secretary Natalie Ravitz told RAW STORY.
0 Replies

paull

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 07:15 pm
Roxy's suicide and the exit of the Hollywood glitterati after Bush's TWO victories are scheduled for the same day:

The day some other place to live is better than this one.
0 Replies