How does a man go about knowing how to get girlfriend/wife?

Perplexed

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 12:14 pm
what I don't understand is how people change from being friends to be lovers. I was always told there's a friend zone and a lover zone and once you're in the friend zone you can never get out.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 12:16 pm
who told you that!

that is absolutely not true.

my husband started as a friend (although with a lot of chemistry), became my lovers and has remained my friend the whole time.
0 Replies

Perplexed

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 12:43 pm
Surely you've heard the phrase "the friend zone" before chai?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 04:05 pm
no, actually I haven't....must be one of those new things those hippidy hop kids talk about.

In truth perplexed, I have never put much importance on what "they" say.

"they" are not with you at night when you go to sleep alone, or with someone.

Also, "they" have as many, if not more problems in relationships as anyone.

I thought of this old movie the other day....I think it was made back in the 50's. I never even saw it until I was in my 30's, but the message is timeless.

Try to find this movie....It's named "Marty" and it stars a young Ernest Borgnine.

DON'T ruin it by googling the story line. Just see if you can rent it somewhere.

I will tell you this much....It makes you think twice about what "they" say, and about being real.

ooooo.....they have it at blockbuster...I just looked online.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 05:59 pm
Perplexed wrote:
what I don't understand is how people change from being friends to be lovers. I was always told there's a friend zone and a lover zone and once you're in the friend zone you can never get out.

Simply, that's where the physical part comes in. If there's mutual attraction, then it can happen.

If the woman makes her mind up that she likes you ONLY as a friend, after you show interest, chances are you're not going to be mroe than that.

I have female friends that were never anything more, and there was never any pressure for anything more. And I've always just acted in a friend way: for instance, talk about dating experiences with other people, ask each other to set us up with friends, ect.

If there's a girl you don't know too well, and you're becoming what seems like friends, and you think you want more, then don't act like her best friend. You can be her friend without being overbearing, and you still want to flirt. Don't call constantly, put yourself down, talk about how you want to date someone, ect. You can still show you're sexually interested without coming out and saying it.

Are you in a situation like that now, or are you just asking?
0 Replies

Perplexed

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 01:40 am
nope, just asking Sad
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 11:00 am
Ahhhhh Perplexed. Seems like you could use a hug, darlin'. Wish I could give you one in person.
(((((Perplexed)))))

As far as the "friends" thing goes ......

There's really no cut and dry answer. I have some male friends that I could never sleep with. It would feel too much like sleeping with my brother or something gross like that. Yet they are incredibly good friends.

And there are friends who you can be turned on sexually by and have sex with - and all is cool. Friendship stays intact.

Or on the flip side - you can have sex and the friendship falls apart. Cause really, you can't be 100% sure how you feel towards each other till after the fact. And this happened to me once. Long story. But after the act he wanted to try the gf/bf thing with me and I wasn't buyin'. He just wouldn't let up. I started avoiding him and the friendship slowly unraveled. As good as the sex was ... it wasn't worth the loss of what we had before then. Anyhow, we ran into each other this past fall and hugged like there was no tomorrow and it felt good to see him again. We're getting it back on track. Thank God. I missed my friend!

Back to your question. Is it possible to leave the friend zone and enter into the couple zone? Absolutely - as long as like Slappy says "She hasn't made up her mind that she likes you only as a friend."

Perplexed - you seem like a genuine sweetheart. There is a girl out there somewhere that will fit you perfectly! That will give you goosebumps everytime you look in her eyes and set you on fire with a single touch, and melt you with her smile. That will love you with the depth you deserve.
0 Replies

Perplexed

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 01:49 pm
That was so sweet, (and you are so cute!) thank you very much, that's about the nicest thing anyone's said to me in a long time. Smile
0 Replies

Perplexed

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 01:58 pm
For those who were wondering, I asked about the friends thing because everyone seems to be telling me to make friends, and I'm wondering what you do after that.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 02:15 pm
Perplexed wrote:
For those who were wondering, I asked about the friends thing because everyone seems to be telling me to make friends, and I'm wondering what you do after that.

There's a reason you're being told that. You can't focus too much on wanting a relationship, and you can't put pressure on anyone when you start dating them for a committment, either. So there's not much you "do," or no set script to take a girl from being a friend to more.

Anyway, the reason you're being told just to go make friends, is so you're more comfortable being around, and talking with women. Or at least take the attitude, that if nothing else, you meet some cool chicks you can be friends with. And if you find a spark with someone, great.

But stop focusing so much on questions like this, especially when you're not even in that situation. Force yourself to be more outgoing, and not care about rejection.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 03:47 pm
Also, having friends helps with depression. You may not feel depressed, but I suspect that is a part of this, women are sensing it, and are staying away in droves. Really, think about it. Staying at home all day long and not interacting with people are two pretty classic signs of depression.
0 Replies

Perplexed

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 04:35 pm
you're right, I was dagnosed two years ago.
0 Replies

Blogg

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 06:13 pm
Perplexed wrote:

Exactly. That's the cr@p I've always read in those stupid "How to get chicks" type books. Sad

I believed it because I've always had female friends. But of course, they had their boyfriends.

Now I don't know what to think about the subject.
0 Replies

Blogg

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 06:47 pm
Perplexed wrote:
Blogg wrote:
Perplexed wrote:
now that I think about it though, I'm really in no position to lecture you, I'm in the same boat and haven't yet been able to follow my own advice (why else would I have known about the book?Razz)

Aha!

So you've read 'the book'? ;-)

So you might have some idea as to what I'm on about, here.

What do you believe? Is the problem purely psychological? Or is it more likely to be neurological or biological?

I don't know, but it sure would be interesting to find out about how others see it.

Most people don't seem to understand. Sad((
I thought I had responded to this, but looking around the thread I can't find my post, so please forgive if I'm repeating myself, and even more so if I contradict myself!

I think that everyone is different, and that my problem is different from your problem which is different from joe schmoe's problem which is different from slappy's problem (wait, did slappy have a problem?)... it's no one thing, it's a combination (thought I doubt that the problem is biological in our two cases). I think it's behavioural, you and I seem to have missed something, not a lesson or advice, but experiences. Think about high school (an unpleasant request I know), did you date in high school? I didn't. Lots of guys didn't, but most guys tried. If you were like me, you didn't, or only barely did.

Same.
I didn't 'date' in high school either (I didn't know the significance of dating back then - I thought it was a thing limited to sitcoms. It wasen't until I was about 24/25 that I (only just) started to realise the significance of dating). And that might be my problem, too.

But that's not to say that I'm not looking at other ideas.

Problem: how can one gain that experience at such a late age?

One problem is that it seems that the brain wires itself either way. Either it's wired with dating experience, or it's wired for lonelyness. Once wired in such a way it becomes gradually more set (like concrete setting), and it's hard to go back and rewire.

If only I could go back in time 10 years, and visit my old self, I might have changed something!

Quote:

Now, if we had tried more, if we had gotten over our shyness and tried then, in the low stakes, high opprotunity world of high school (Though of course we never thought of it as low stakes then, did we?) we would have started learning then what works and what doesn't, in an atmosphere much more conducive to actual social learning than a forum on the internet!

Okay, I kinda rambled there, but you get what I'm saying, it's not psychological or biological or neurochemical, it's not "Male lesbianism" or some stupid catch-phrase from that book, it's just experiences we need to catch up on, and the only way to do that is to try (don't worry, this is damn difficult advice for me to follow too.)

The problem not being neological (or biological) but rather just a high level psychological problem was my assumption many years ago.

But I have found evidence (including from Gilmartins book), that there just might be a biological cause.

I had the type of mother he describes in his book.

This idea has changed my thinking quite a bit.

Quote:

As for that book, I have mixed feelings. I thought it was insulting, over-simplified, and based on spurious, untested claims and assumptions. It also gave a lot of the advice we're hearing on this forum, "it's all about confidence", "you have to have the right attitude" etc. There's good advice in it and bad advice, unfortunately, I thought that the bad advice would do more damage to our concepts of ourselves than the good advice would help us get dates, so in the end I say punt that book to the curb.

I hope you find someone blogg, good luck.

There was a lot of strange quackery non-science, I wouldn't deny that!

But much of it was based on studies which showed strong correlations. Much of the book was based on good science. And there's nothing else out there like it.

That's what I like about the book.

All other books are just 'self-help' waffle.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 07:51 pm
Re: How does a man go about knowing how to get girlfriend/wi
Hey look guys! Blogg wrote an article for the Onion!

The Onion wrote:

"Conspiracy Theorist Has Elaborate Explanation For Why He's Single"
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/46228

I can't believe Blogg was really researching for an article all along! Very Happy
0 Replies

Perplexed

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 09:07 pm
Neutral That guy is from this area..... and no it's not me....
0 Replies