How does a man go about knowing how to get girlfriend/wife?

Roxxxanne

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 09:57 am
Re: How does a man go about knowing how to get girlfriend/wi
Blogg wrote:
The necessary skills for getting a girlfiend/fiance wife were never taught to me at school, so how does one go about picking them up?

About 1.5% of men according to one study go through life lonely, in part because they don't have the (social) skills necessary.

So, what is such a man to do?

Is there any hope?

Most likely not.
0 Replies

Perplexed

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 01:52 pm
Blogg wrote:
Perplexed wrote:
now that I think about it though, I'm really in no position to lecture you, I'm in the same boat and haven't yet been able to follow my own advice (why else would I have known about the book?Razz)

Aha!

So you've read 'the book'? ;-)

So you might have some idea as to what I'm on about, here.

What do you believe? Is the problem purely psychological? Or is it more likely to be neurological or biological?

I don't know, but it sure would be interesting to find out about how others see it.

Most people don't seem to understand. Sad((
I thought I had responded to this, but looking around the thread I can't find my post, so please forgive if I'm repeating myself, and even more so if I contradict myself!

I think that everyone is different, and that my problem is different from your problem which is different from joe schmoe's problem which is different from slappy's problem (wait, did slappy have a problem?)... it's no one thing, it's a combination (thought I doubt that the problem is biological in our two cases). I think it's behavioural, you and I seem to have missed something, not a lesson or advice, but experiences. Think about high school (an unpleasant request I know), did you date in high school? I didn't. Lots of guys didn't, but most guys tried. If you were like me, you didn't, or only barely did.

Now, if we had tried more, if we had gotten over our shyness and tried then, in the low stakes, high opprotunity world of high school (Though of course we never thought of it as low stakes then, did we?) we would have started learning then what works and what doesn't, in an atmosphere much more conducive to actual social learning than a forum on the internet!

Okay, I kinda rambled there, but you get what I'm saying, it's not psychological or biological or neurochemical, it's not "Male lesbianism" or some stupid catch-phrase from that book, it's just experiences we need to catch up on, and the only way to do that is to try (don't worry, this is damn difficult advice for me to follow too.)

As for that book, I have mixed feelings. I thought it was insulting, over-simplified, and based on spurious, untested claims and assumptions. It also gave a lot of the advice we're hearing on this forum, "it's all about confidence", "you have to have the right attitude" etc. There's good advice in it and bad advice, unfortunately, I thought that the bad advice would do more damage to our concepts of ourselves than the good advice would help us get dates, so in the end I say punt that book to the curb.

I hope you find someone blogg, good luck.
0 Replies

Perplexed

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 02:03 pm
Re: How does a man go about knowing how to get girlfriend/wi
Roxxxanne wrote:
Blogg wrote:
The necessary skills for getting a girlfiend/fiance wife were never taught to me at school, so how does one go about picking them up?

About 1.5% of men according to one study go through life lonely, in part because they don't have the (social) skills necessary.

So, what is such a man to do?

Is there any hope?

Most likely not.
Your words say no but your exposed chest says yes Razz
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 02:15 pm
good one perplexed!

look at you talking to roxanne! AND JOKING!

A+

now roxxxx....be nice to him....we are incubating a fragile egg here.
0 Replies

Perplexed

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 02:21 pm
I was thinking as I wrote that "I wish I could think of things to say like this OFFline!"
0 Replies

Perplexed

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 02:27 pm
Chai Tea wrote:

now roxxxx....be nice to him....we are incubating a fragile egg here.

I was going to take exception to that, but then I thought, "she's right, roxxanne could probably snap my heart in two like she was splittin' a cookie."
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 02:37 pm
Roxxx is a rock & roll chick, and would write a song about it...

right roxxx?
0 Replies

Perplexed

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 03:13 pm
You mean she'd right a song about snapping my heart in two (as though she were splitting a cookie with a friend)?

That might be an interesting song.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 03:15 pm
Think of your heart as an oreo, just a simple twist and voila it's done. Got milk?
0 Replies

Perplexed

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 03:32 pm
I was picturing a heart shaped cookie, and she snapped it in half down the middle and handed one side to someone else. The cookie was even slightly reddish-hued.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 03:35 pm
my favorite cookies are ginger snaps...

did you see those movies Ginger Snaps, and Ginger Snaps Back?
0 Replies

smog

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 03:58 pm
Perplexed wrote:
(wait, did slappy have a problem?)

Yes. He used to be a weak, sissy, unsexed bitch. Now he's so fly and hot and studly that even I want to do him.
0 Replies

Perplexed

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 04:12 pm
smog wrote:
Perplexed wrote:
(wait, did slappy have a problem?)

Yes. He used to be a weak, sissy, unsexed bitch. Now he's so fly and hot and studly that even I want to do him.
oooooookay.....
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 04:15 pm
I'm not fly and hot.

It's called "date rape drugs." Millions of sastified customers can't be wrong.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 04:36 pm
Take a compliment, dude. Geez!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 07:07 am
Perplexed wrote:
I was picturing a heart shaped cookie, and she snapped it in half down the middle and handed one side to someone else. The cookie was even slightly reddish-hued.

There ya go. Perhaps you can go and meet women at the Culinary Arts Institute. Smile

http://festivals.iloveindia.com/valentines-day/gifs/valentine-cookies.jpg
0 Replies

Perplexed

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 09:29 am
jespah wrote:
Perplexed wrote:

There ya go. Perhaps you can go and meet women at the Culinary Arts Institute. Smile

You know I never thought of that before but how PERFECT would that be?

No seriously, that would rule..... a lot......
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 10:10 am
My friend went to cooking school at Johnson & Wales in Rhode Island (she got her degree in pastry cheffing -- not a word, but you know what I mean) and she says most of the students were women.

It pays to go and hang around people who are interested in what you're interested in. That way, you have built-in things to talk about and the connection isn't so forced. Plus it's nicer than meeting people in a bar, at school, you'd be meeting people who are interested in improving themselves.

Plus food is very sensual, and very primal. One of the ways I really knew I loved my husband (of course, long before he became my husband) was when I started thinking about what kinds of foods I could make him, because I wanted to give him things he likes and are good for him. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Perplexed

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 10:54 am
awwww, that's so sweet! I feel all kinds of lovey now just hearing that story!

And I like this idea about the cooking thing, I think there are some cooking classes at my school, I just have no idea where the "kitchen labs" would be, I gotta find out and start hanging out there!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 08:26 am
There ya go. Ya just needed a venue. And picking up cooking skills never hurts.
0 Replies