Canada v. US

Amigo

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 08:23 pm
Chumly, I'm thinking of moving to Canada. What do you think? and how much is the rent?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 08:32 pm
The rent here is one US dollar per night, we got whisky for a nickel a shot, we got beaver and maple syrup and Eskimos too, we got everything alright!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 08:50 pm
amigo : why don't you come up here and spent some time at canada's ice hotel (near quebec city) ?
serving ice-cold vodka is their speciality .

http://www.netssa.com/image/ice_hotel_bar.jpg

but if you are short on money, you can always built your own igloo ,
but you have to bring your own refreshments .
care for some pemmican ?
0 Replies

Akaya

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 08:52 pm
For now, I think this could speak for my apprehensions toward America (whilst speaking very little about my opinion on Americans)

declassified CIA document wrote:

"We are to continue to generate maximum pressure toward this end, utilizing every appropriate resource. It is imperative that these actions be implemented clandestinely and securely so that the USG [United States Government] and American hand be well hidden..."

Source

Panama and Operation Just Cause, The Taliban, SE Turkey, S. Vietnam, Iran Contra/Nicaragua, support for Israel....Saddam Hussein's Iraq, the current "Iraq Conflict", Security Council Vetos prohibiting condemnation of American atrocities and war crimes, vetos blocking middel east peace....I mean, the list goes on.
The United States is the quintessential hypocrite.

Perhaps my gripe toward American people vis a vis my disdain for American foreign policy is their general inability or unwillingness to recognize what their country stands for outside the bubble.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 08:56 pm
george : don't worry, you won't find marx or lenin in canada; their their tastes were a little too refined for life in canada ! hbg

btw. it's usually the insurance company that 'fires' the customer . they don't like sick customers, cuts into their profits , i understand .
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 09:02 pm
I'm screwed
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 09:06 pm
amigo :
o.k. , is you'd rather have a screwdriver while sitting in ice-palace, i think that can be arranged .
you want 'seal flippers' with that ?
hbg
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 09:08 pm
How many days out of the year is it sunny? I have $20,000, a convertable and a guitar.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 09:25 pm
amigo :
if it's sunshine you want : estevan, saketchewan
is the place to go to , 2,500 hours of sunshine a year - it's canada's 'sunshine capital' - perhaps a little cold for you right now ? minus 13 C , but summers are pretty hot.
it's also called 'energy city' - lot's of oil rigs.
and unsurpassed for watching the 'aurora' .
people from all over the world come to watch it ,
the japanese claim it increases fertility and it's particularly popular with young japanese couples !
any requirements in that department ?

http://www.spaceweather.com/aurora/images2005/12apr05/dube.jpg
0 Replies

paull

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 10:47 pm
US= a fun loving 24 hour bar

Canada=the cold water flat on the second floor
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 11:00 pm
Turn that damn music down!

Can't you see we are trying to have serious discussions on the Quebec issue, multiculturalism, socialized health care, and Canadian culture as separate from the US.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 11:05 pm
hamburger wrote:
btw. it's usually the insurance company that 'fires' the customer . they don't like sick customers, cuts into their profits , i understand .

Actually in most states that's against the law. Moreover Federal law requires that an employee who loses his job has the option (at his/her sole discretion) keep his company health coverage for a year or so at the same total premium cost.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 07:38 am
Gala wrote:
I was considering going to University of BC Vancouver for graduate school, so I traveled there visiting classes, checking out the city.

This was in 2000 when the Gore/Bush winner was still undetermined. It struck me how well informed Vancouverins were about America. They were following it like it was happening to them. America dominates in a shameful way, then and even more so now. Canadians are far more well-mannered, civilised.

Allow me to clarify, Canadians are well-mannered and civilised on the surface. I have seen no indication of Canadians being any different from other humans at least, in this forum, they are as blow-hard and inconsiderate as the next person.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 09:16 am
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 01:42 pm
Gala wrote:
Gala wrote:
I was considering going to University of BC Vancouver for graduate school, so I traveled there visiting classes, checking out the city.

This was in 2000 when the Gore/Bush winner was still undetermined. It struck me how well informed Vancouverins were about America. They were following it like it was happening to them. America dominates in a shameful way, then and even more so now. Canadians are far more well-mannered, civilised.

Allow me to clarify, Canadians are well-mannered and civilised on the surface. I have seen no indication of Canadians being any different from other humans at least, in this forum, they are as blow-hard and inconsiderate as the next person.

Are not
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 01:48 pm
Intrepid,
Can you pipe in with lots more anti American pro Canadian stuff for the benefit of this here thread?
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 02:07 pm
Canada is the stepchild to the US. It doesn't mean it's worse or better, this is simply a statement for how it's treated by the US. Look at Cinderella, she was treated like a piece of s*** by her stepmother and step siblings, but in the end, she walked off with the booty.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 02:16 pm
george wrote :
"Moreover Federal law requires that an employee who loses his job has the option (at his/her sole discretion) keep his company health coverage for a year or so at the same total premium cost. "

that, to me, is one of the fundamental differences between the american and the canadian health-insurance system.
i did not have to rely on my employer to provide basic health-insurance coverage - and perhaps have it extended for another year if i should get fired.
rich or poor, working or unemployed, baby or senior, working for a one-man-band or walmart, the basic health-insurance is taken care of.
imo that eliminates a fair amount of stress for many citizens - particularly those at the lower end of the economic ladder. the rich can usually look after themselves - and that's fine by me.

i've read numerous times in such magazines as "business week" , that as many as 20 million american citizens are without health-insurance for a variety of reasons , such as : low income, lost job, unemployable ...
i cannot understand why the united states , being the richest and most powerful nation in the world, finds it difficult to provide such benefit for all its citizens. i can understand that the u.s. government or the states might not want to get into the business of health-insurance. however, they could easily find an insurance company that would provide such a benefit .
i even wonder if it would not be less expensive for the nation as whole to provide such a service - which would result in better health for all - , rather than having a group of citizens fall through the cracks . at a certain point, when these people are too sick to care foe themselves, they no doubt become a burden on society anyways .
i seem to recall the old saying : 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure ' - or does that not apply here.

i know that the united states has some of the finest medical institutions in the world ; i just have difficulty understanding why some citizens have to fall through cracks .

just some thoughts on this subject. hbg
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 02:24 pm
That made me look up the life expectancy at birth for both countries. Here we go:

United States:
total population: 77.71 years
male: 74.89 years
female: 80.67 years (2005 est.)

Canada:
total population: 80.1 years
male: 76.73 years
female: 83.63 years (2005 est.)
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 02:40 pm
old europe :
i'd say : pretty good for both nations, but not as good as some other nations, japan comes to mind , also scandinavian nations ? hbg
0 Replies