Is there anything that the U.S. doesn't get blamed for?

nimh

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 10:37 pm
Re: Is there anything that the U.S. doesn't get blamed for?
PoetSeductress wrote:
Yes, nimh, you've made a good point. I don't know where to get an accurate, trustworthy count, either. In this case, one cannot state as a fact, "...anti-American revulsion among the population at large is now significantly bigger than 10 years ago". In order to maintain the integrity of this statement, it must be put forth as your personal viewpoint. >> Please see this post.

Hhmm ... a rule that you seem to have conveniently ignored in your own post right above.

Eg: "Iraq was one of the major training grounds for terrorism" - stated as a fact, when it is your personal viewpoint, one not supported by too many experts on the issue, outside the US conservative bubble, I'll add.

Eg: "[Iraq] is no longer the hotbed it was, for terrorist training". Stated as opinion, this would be wild. Stated as fact, its bizarre and a total breach of your own rule.

Well, etc <shrugs>
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 10:38 pm
On the topic of this thread though, I wont blame the US for Poet's posts here ;-)
0 Replies

PoetSeductress

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 10:41 pm
nimh wrote:
PoetSeductress wrote:
Yes, nimh, you've made a good point. I don't know where to get an accurate, trustworthy count, either. In this case, one cannot state as a fact, "...anti-American revulsion among the population at large is now significantly bigger than 10 years ago". In order to maintain the integrity of this statement, it must be put forth as your personal viewpoint. >> Please see this post.

Hhmm ... a rule that you seem to have conveniently ignored in your own post right above.

Eg: "Iraq was one of the major training grounds for terrorism" - stated as a fact, when it is your personal viewpoint, one not supported by too many experts on the issue, outside the US conservative bubble, I'll add.

Eg: "[Iraq] is no longer the hotbed it was, for terrorist training". Stated as opinion, this would be wild. Stated as fact, its bizarre and a total breach of your own rule.

Well, etc <shrugs>

This, my dear, was stated on the national news broadcast. It is not my opinion. I won't dispute, though, that differences in sources can give quite different reports and analyses. Who knows, my source might be inaccurate. But then again, yours might be. It's hard to say, right now.

Your source is generally a reliable one (The Washington Post), and so is mine. But either could be off. We can leave it at that, if this is alright with you.
0 Replies

PoetSeductress

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 11:06 pm
nimh wrote:
On the topic of this thread though, I wont blame the US for Poet's posts here ;-)

Well, nimh, at least we can say this is a step in the right direction for international diplomacy. Smile
0 Replies

PoetSeductress

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 11:12 pm
CORRECTION: In my 2nd post up, I was referring to xingu's source, which was the Washington Post, not nimh's source.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 11:15 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
oralloy wrote:
D'artagnan wrote:
You're such an idealist, Brandon. So refreshing. I'm just curious: What it they choose a pro-Iranian group to run Iraq? It's entirely possible they will...

I think that is unlikely.

Oh? Given the current chaos there, what does your crystal ball say will happen?

I don't have much of a crystal ball. I just know that the pro-Iranian Sadr doesn't have widespread support, and the pro-democracy Sistani does have widespread support.
0 Replies

PoetSeductress

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 03:17 am
(To avoid confusion, I should explain in deeper detail what I meant below, referenced in red. I referred to myself as a networker, in that talking with others from day-to-day, is a natural form of networking. The only type of person who doesn't network is someone who is a loner and doesn't like talking with other people.

Since my current business is private home health, my work is obtained by local word-of-mouth referral.

"...everyone and his brother" is an American slang expression, used to expand the meaning of "everyone" to the greatest possible degree.)

- PS

PoetSeductress wrote:
xingu wrote:
What the invasion of Iraq has done is to gain more sympathy for the extremist. The extremist message is the West wants to invade and colonize the Middle East so as to control the oil.

The extremist will fabricate and pump out any propaganda imaginable, to try and further their cause.

xingu wrote:
Bush's invasion of Iraq is gives credibility to this argument.

How?

xingu wrote:
This is especially true in light of the fact that every reason Bush gave for the invasion was false.

Please show me the proof that all of his reasons were false. Those are serious accusations.

xingu wrote:
Now Bush is beating the war drums against Iran and doing so with the same arguments as Iraq.

Yes, that's unfortunate, but a fact of life, that when your neighbor exterminates their apartment for roaches, the rodents invariably make their way to the closest, dirtiest apartment.

xingu wrote:
Bush claims to support democracy but supports governments that don't practice democracy.

Who said he wasn't supposed to? How is this any different than most other presidents in our history?

Sure, it would be tempting to excommunicate all those who are not democratic republics. But this would be bad strategy in a lot of things.

As a networker, if I were to not associate with or help anyone who didn't believe the way I did, this would cut down my social and business connections to the bone, and greatly decrease my success both personally and in business, not to mention my happiness and quality of life. (See the top of this post for explanation)

xingu wrote:
Bush claims that the UN must be obeyed and used the UN as an excuse to invade Iraq.

Every major global intelligence operation, along with the UN, voiced extreme concerned about Iraq, and stressed that something had to be done. Years passed, and no one had enough balls to step up to the plate and do something. This continued, until 9/11, which was more catastrophic than the bombing of Pearl Harbor. It was the last straw that broke the camel's back.

Bush bent over backward talking with the UN, global leaders, and Sadaam, but to no avail. In my opionion, Bush pussyfooted around too long. He should have done it sooner. But since he was trying to please everyone and his brother, a lot of time was wasted, which gave SH plenty of time to stash his load somewhere else.

xingu wrote:
Yet this country has continuously ignored Israels behavior in ignoring the UN.

The USA can't and shouldn't have to police every country on the face of the earth. The only reason we stepped in at all, was because of the top-level severity of the situation. We cannot sit back and take a blow of that caliber and not do anything about it. That is the (in)action of a coward.

xingu wrote:
And yes Iraq is the new training ground for terrorists. It's the new Afghanistan.

It was one of the major training grounds for terrorism, which is exactly one of the reasons why we went there, to begin with. Bush made it clear that we (the US) would sytematically go after those who continued to harbor terrorists. A lot of it has now been knocked out, and the place is no longer the hotbed it was, for terrorist training.

On the other hand, the turmoil has obviously, recently increased. The terrorists are swarming into Iraq from other countries like flies. On the positive side, one could say that this is beneficial, because you can fight them there, since they're concentrated in a major area. (sort of like being able to swat a group of flies with one swat) On the negative side, this poses a new problem which calls for a new strategy, which we apparently don't have, as of yet. Since no one has ever fought this kind of grand-scale, unconventional war, we can only move forward, and learn as we go.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 06:43 am
Quote:
xingu wrote:
What the invasion of Iraq has done is to gain more sympathy for the extremist. The extremist message is the West wants to invade and colonize the Middle East so as to control the oil.

The extremist will fabricate and pump out any propaganda imaginable, to try and further their cause.
As will George Bush.
Quote:
xingu wrote:
Bush's invasion of Iraq is gives credibility to this argument.

How?
You mean you can't connect the two?
Quote:
xingu wrote:
This is especially true in light of the fact that every reason Bush gave for the invasion was false.

Please show me the proof that all of his reasons were false. Those are serious accusations.
Show me your WMD's

Quote:
xingu wrote:
Bush claims that the UN must be obeyed and used the UN as an excuse to invade Iraq.

Every major global intelligence operation, along with the UN, voiced extreme concerned about Iraq, and stressed that something had to be done. Years passed, and no one had enough balls to step up to the plate and do something. This continued, until 9/11, which was more catastrophic than the bombing of Pearl Harbor. It was the last straw that broke the camel's back.
Bush bent over backward talking with the UN, global leaders, and Sadaam, but to no avail. In my opionion, Bush pussyfooted around too long. He should have done it sooner. But since he was trying to please everyone and his brother, a lot of time was wasted, which gave SH plenty of time to stash his load somewhere else.
Bush bend over backward to invade Iraq. He was making Saddam prove a negative; prove you don't have WMD's. Saddam was telling the truth when he claimed he didn't have them. There is no possible way he could prove it and Bush knew it. Hans Blix was showing the world that Saddam was cooperating with the UN inspection and the inspection was showing the world that Saddam didn't have WMD's If Bush was so sincere in giving Saddam a break why did he kick the UN inspectors out of Iraq and invade?

Was the danger from Iraq so imminent that we had to kick out the inspectors before they could complete their inspection? This war Bush started has cost the lives of tens of thousands of people many, if not most of them, innocent people. That's not counting over 2,100 Americans killed and over 10,000 wounded. Don't you think a confirmation of Saddam's WMD's was in order before we created a conflict that has killed so many people?

Or do you think political ideology has more value than human life?

Quote:
xingu wrote:
Yet this country has continuously ignored Israels behavior in ignoring the UN.

The USA can't and shouldn't have to police every country on the face of the earth. The only reason we stepped in at all, was because of the top-level severity of the situation. We cannot sit back and take a blow of that caliber and not do anything about it. That is the (in)action of a coward.
Funny the double standard here. If Israel ignores a UN resolution you give the excuse that we can't police every country on earth. If Iraq ignores one resolution we should invade it.
Quote:
xingu wrote:
And yes Iraq is the new training ground for terrorists. It's the new Afghanistan.

It was one of the major training grounds for terrorism, which is exactly one of the reasons why we went there, to begin with. Bush made it clear that we (the US) would sytematically go after those who continued to harbor terrorists. A lot of it has now been knocked out, and the place is no longer the hotbed it was, for terrorist training.

On the other hand, the turmoil has obviously, recently increased. The terrorists are swarming into Iraq from other countries like flies. On the positive side, one could say that this is beneficial, because you can fight them there, since they're concentrated in a major area. (sort of like being able to swat a group of flies with one swat) On the negative side, this poses a new problem which calls for a new strategy, which we apparently don't have, as of yet. Since no one has ever fought this kind of grand-scale, unconventional war, we can only move forward, and learn as we go.
Your wrong. Iraq was not, under Saddam, a major training ground for terrorists. Saddam had little if any dealings with Osama bin Laden. The secular regimes of Iraq and Syria were hated by the religious fanatic Osama.

Quote:
Osama bin Laden rejected the idea of forming an alliance with Hussein and viewed him as an enemy of the jihadist movement because the Iraqi leader rejected radical Islamic ideals and ran a secular government.
Iraq is more than it has ever been a training ground for terrorist. Our own government says so.

Quote:
Iraq has replaced Afghanistan as the training ground for the next generation of "professionalized" terrorists, according to a report released yesterday by the National Intelligence Council, the CIA director's think tank.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A7460-2005Jan13.html

However Saddam was fighting a guerrilla war with Iran. Saddam was also conducting raids into Iran. Apologists for Bush cite this as Saddam supporting terrorist. The Iraqi-Iranian War never did end. It just went into a low profile guerilla war that lasted up to Bush's invasion.

The prime minister of Iraq, Ibrahim Al-Jaafari, has far closer ties with Iran than the US. The Shiites that control a large part of the Iraqi government is very closely allied with Iran. It was Iran that helped the Iraqi Shiites in their war against Saddam, not the US.

The Kurds were conducting raids in Turkey. But Saddam had noting to do with this. The Kurdish territory was in the northern no-fly zone and Saddam was not allowed to have any of his troops in their territory. Any raids being made into Turkey was an issue between the Kurds and Turkey.

Quote:
On the other hand, the turmoil has obviously, recently increased. The terrorists are swarming into Iraq from other countries like flies.
And you can thank George Bush for that. Most of the violence is from Sunni Iraqis, not foreigners. Al Qaeda grabs the headlines but it is a minor player when compared to Iraqi nationalists. What Bush has done is to make Al Qaeda and the Iraqi Sunnis allies in the same manner as Hitler made communist Russia and the US allies in WW II.

In today's news;
Quote:
Most people in 33 out of 35 countries worldwide believe that the US-led war in Iraq has increased the threat of terrorism, a survey for BBC World Service radio suggested.
An average of 60 percent in the 33 nations agreed that the March 2003 invasion had increased the likelihood of terrorist attacks, with just 12 percent believing the opposite. A further 15 percent thought it had no effect.

AND
Quote:
A report by the U.N. nuclear watchdog agency shows there is no proof Iran's nuclear program is aimed at producing nuclear weapons, Iran's foreign minister said Tuesday in Japan.
"They could not find evidence which shows that Iran has diverted from its peaceful purposes of nuclear activities in Iran," said Manouchehr Mottaki, who was in Tokyo to meet with Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi.
A confidential International Atomic Energy Agency report made available to The Associated Press Monday said that a more than three-year probe has not revealed "any diversion of nuclear material to nuclear weapons or other nuclear explosive devices."
OOOOOPPPPPS! Can't have this. We need a reason to attack Iran. There must be some way to discredit this report.
0 Replies

PoetSeductress

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 12:57 pm
STRAIGHT TO THE TOP SOURCE:

President Discusses Global War on Terror at Kansas State University

President Meets with Victims of Saddam Hussein and Discusses Progress in Iraq

I listen what the person, himself, has to say. Then I analyze it and make up my own mind. I don't let other sources tell me how to interpret what I've read or heard. This doesn't mean I'm not open to other's opinion of it. But I decide first, then consider the responses from others. I am not easily swayed, but I'm not closed-minded. I only seek the truth, and refuse to let someone whose premise is hatred (which the majority of the press and their followers) to tell me what and how to think.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 01:05 pm
oralloy wrote:
I don't have much of a crystal ball. I just know that the pro-Iranian Sadr doesn't have widespread support, and the pro-democracy Sistani does have widespread support.

This seems to suggest that the demagogue Sadr is the only pro-Iranian Shi'ite in Iraq. Given that Iran is the only Shi'ite dominated nation in the world, and that the Persians long supported Shi'ite and anti-Ba'athist movements in Iraq long before the American invaions, i consider that a naive assumption.

It further suggests that those who are pro-Iranian could not be pro-democracy, nor could those who are pro-democracy be pro-Iranian. That is also an unwarranted assumption. The Shi'ites of Iraq outnumber the Sunni Arabs and Kurd Sunnis, Shi'ites, Christians and Animists combined. It is entirely conceivable that a simple democracy in Iraq becomes a Shi'ite government, and the likelihood of establishing good relations with the Persians, the only Shi'ite dominated nation anywhere, are very high.

Altogether, your analysis seems to me to be an exercise in fantasy, or selective description. Sadr cannot automatically be considered the only pro-Iran Iraqi, and liking democracy and the Persians are not by definition mutually exclusive positions.
0 Replies

stevewonder

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 01:07 pm
Setanta wrote:
oralloy wrote:

This seems to suggest that the demagogue Sadr is the only pro-Iranian Shi'ite in Iraq. Given that Iran is the only Shi'ite dominated nation in the world, and that the Persians long supported Shi'ite and anti-Ba'athist movements in Iraq long before the American invaions, i consider that a naive assumption.

It further suggests that those who are pro-Iranian could not be pro-democracy, nor could those who are pro-democracy be pro-Iranian. That is also an unwarranted assumption. The Shi'ites of Iraq outnumber the Sunni Arabs and Kurd Sunnis, Shi'ites, Christians and Animists combined. It is entirely conceivable that a simple democracy in Iraq becomes a Shi'ite government, and the likelihood of establishing good relations with the Persians, the only Shi'ite dominated nation anywhere, are very high.

Altogether, your analysis seems to me to be an exercise in fantasy, or selective description. Sadr cannot automatically be considered the only pro-Iran Iraqi, and liking democracy and the Persians are not by definition mutually exclusive positions.

damn right!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 01:15 pm
PoetSeductress wrote:
I only seek the truth, and refuse to let someone whose premise is hatred (which the majority of the press and their followers) to tell me what and how to think.

Really? The press' premise is hatred? And their followers? You really believe that?
0 Replies

PoetSeductress

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 01:17 pm
One more thing.

I think it's terrible to have to kill anyone, and I would never do it myself, except for self-defense of my life. If there was a better way to handle the terrorism, I would be all for it. Human beings are human beings, and I try my best to love all people.

But sometimes in this world, war has to be waged for the sake of our freedom and existence. In order to understand this, we must take the blinders off for a wider view of things, and learn to think for ourselves, independently, apart from partisanship. This can be accomplished only if we're willing to set our egos aside and desire the truth.

If I'm wrong on anything, I always admit it. But it's very seldom that this is necessary.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 01:20 pm
stevewonder wrote:
It is succeeding in making its own people into 'dysfunctional morons/zombies' (suited to working only in Walmart) and exporting that tripe to the rest of the world.

I don't appreciate you calling me a moron. But thanks for showing us what an ignorant ass you are. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

PoetSeductress

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 01:22 pm
kickycan wrote:
PoetSeductress wrote:
I only seek the truth, and refuse to let someone whose premise is hatred (which the majority of the press and their followers) to tell me what and how to think.

Really? The press' premise is hatred? And their followers? You really believe that?

"Most" are, kickycan, but it didn't used to be like that. It's sad, but true. That's why I don't read them, anymore. Two things I have little use for: today's newspapers and television, with few exceptions.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 01:22 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:

I think it's time to let these people just slaughter each other and thin the herd personally.

I couldn't agree more.

If they don't want us there, let's just let them fight their own battles.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 01:26 pm
PoetSeductress wrote:

If I'm wrong on anything, I always admit it. But it's very seldom that this is necessary.

Rolling Eyes

Sorry but I hope that you were making that statement in fun.
0 Replies

PoetSeductress

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 01:27 pm
PoetSeductress wrote:
kickycan wrote:
PoetSeductress wrote:

"Most" are, kickycan, but it didn't used to be like that. It's sad, but true. That's why I don't read them, anymore. Two things I have little use for: today's newspapers and television, with few exceptions.

Kickycan, I meant to mention that many followers of the press don't realize the situation with the press. Most of them are good people, but are being led very covertly, to think and believe certain things.

Generally speaking, the press only reports what they want to report, and they leave out what would go against their political agenda.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 01:32 pm
PoetSeductress wrote:

Generally speaking, the press only reports what they want to report, and they leave out what would go against their political agenda.

Yup, and you'll notice which stand each network takes if you watch closely.

The media is indeed biased.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 01:34 pm
PoetSeductress wrote:
PoetSeductress wrote:
kickycan wrote:
PoetSeductress wrote:

Kickycan, I meant to mention that many followers of the press don't realize the situation with the press. Most of them are good people, but are being led very covertly, to think and believe certain things.

So how do you decide which ones come from hatred, which are biased, and which you can trust? What's your process of weeding out the "bad" media?
0 Replies