Monger

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 12:12 am
A little while ago I accepted a web development position (Adobe platform stuff... ColdFusion/Flex/ActionScript, mostly) at a US military camp near the Baghdad International Airport. I won't be working directly for the military, and can leave at any time. However, they offer incentives to stay for a full year, so that's my plan for now. I'm a bit of a gambler at heart, and this opportunity offers an excellent risk vs. reward ratio (the base where I'll be staying is very safe considering the circumstances, and I won't be moving around within the country).

In the mean time, I'm going to be trying to wrap up and pass off a couple projects including a tech book I'm working on, so it's going to be long working days 7 days a week until I leave, and a similar working schedule after I get there (the contractual working week there will be 60 hours/week, but I'll be looking to do more than that). Unfortunately, I'll probably lurk and post on able2know even less frequently as a result. Sad

This probably is a very poor place to discuss this, but since I've been talking to Robert et al. so infrequently recently... HV/a2k is on the top of my list of interesting projects to get involved in once I get back, if you guys are still interested in having me at that point. Congratulations on the new site launch and the high quality, innovative work you've done here.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 12:14 am
@Monger,
Good luck in Iraq.

Cycloptichorn
Monger

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 12:33 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Thanks, dude.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 12:45 am
@Monger,
Shocked Be careful and keep in touch, Monger!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 01:14 am
Blimey.

So...if nobody shoots you you'll make a heap, eh?

Wishing you the best of British luck and all that.

Damn place is way less good because of the Monger-sized hole already....but I do hope this is a great move for you.

Should be bloody interesting, anyway.

Do hope you post a bit now and then.

margo

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 01:20 am
@Monger,
Yay!!!

It's the Monger!

Long time no see <said the sailor!>

Be careful now - it's nice to see you around!
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 01:41 am
@Monger,
What!!??!!! The Adobe platform? ;-)

But seriously, tell me more about the kind of work (email me if you prefer).
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 03:34 am
@Monger,
Good luck, Monger! And be very, very careful, hear?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 04:54 am
Take care, Monger, and come back to a2k as often as possible, please.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 05:44 am
@Monger,
What an adventure. You'll be doing the work you love, and be right near the action.

Lots of good fortune to you, Monger!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 05:58 am
@Monger,
Good grief.

I get the gambler part -- hope you hit the jackpot. Take care.

Oh and you've just committed yourself to giving at least weekly updates saying that you're fine. We worry.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 06:04 am
@Monger,
It's hard for me to decide whether I admire you for your guts or deplore your reckless risk-taking. Either way, good luck!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 06:06 am
Dangit Monger, why Iraq!?! Good luck, stay safe, have fun. (keep in touch).
0 Replies

Dudley Bowring

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 08:52 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
Wishing you the best of British luck and all that.

Oh dear.
dlowan

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 08:56 am
@Dudley Bowring,
Are you Lord Ellpus?
dagmaraka

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 09:03 am
Good luck, Monger. I'm almost jealous, I know I'd take the opportunity too. It will definitely be a super interesting year for you. Hopefully they got the security nailed down at the base where you'll be.
Please do post every now and then so we can partake in your adventures vicariously.
Dudley Bowring

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 09:05 am
@dlowan,
The only Lord I know is Jesus Christ. Have you accepted him as your personal Savior?
dlowan

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 09:09 am
@Dudley Bowring,
Good grief no.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 09:09 am
@Monger,
Good luck and stay safe.

Flex/ActionScript stuff can be very cool, and the demand seems to be growing like crazy lately -- especially in Europe.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 09:10 am
@dagmaraka,
Like...mebbe a wee blog? Hmmmmmm?????