Information control, or, How to get to Orwellian governance

blatham

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 12:32 pm
sheesh
Democratic pollster Mark Mellman, via Taegan Goddard's Political Wire: "An audience that decides for itself, based on 'fair and balanced' coverage, ought not to reach monolithic conclusions. Yet, in our 2004 polling with Media Vote, using Nielsen diaries, we found that Fox News viewers supported George Bush over John Kerry by 88 percent to 7 percent. No demographic segment, other than Republicans, was as united in supporting Bush. Conservatives, white evangelical Christians, gun owners, and supporters of the Iraq war all gave Bush fewer votes than did regular Fox News viewers." http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 12:48 pm
You are merely assuming that the Fox news show shaped their views and voting behavior. It is at least equally likely (indeed, more likely in my view) that a good deal of self selection took place among those who chose to watch Fox news shows.

There was certainly nothing unusual or remarkable in the results of the last Presidential election. John Kerry's self-absorbtion and vanity were so great that he himself had evidently come to believe the myths he had so assiduously created. His truly goofy salute and "John Kerry reporting for duty" bit at the convention was the final straw for those who has witnessed his manipulative behavior while on active duty, and who likely knew the truth about the manner of his discharge from the Navy. Kerry defeated himself. A theory based on the supposed magical powers of Fox news to influence the supposedly dull conservative crowd is not only laughable - it is unnecessary.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 01:29 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
You are merely assuming that the Fox news show shaped their views and voting behavior. It is at least equally likely (indeed, more likely in my view) that a good deal of self selection took place among those who chose to watch Fox news shows.

There was certainly nothing unusual or remarkable in the results of the last Presidential election. John Kerry's self-absorbtion and vanity were so great that he himself had evidently come to believe the myths he had so assiduously created. His truly goofy salute and "John Kerry reporting for duty" bit at the convention was the final straw for those who has witnessed his manipulative behavior while on active duty, and who likely knew the truth about the manner of his discharge from the Navy. Kerry defeated himself. A theory based on the supposed magical powers of Fox news to influence the supposedly dull conservative crowd is not only laughable - it is unnecessary.

They don't influence the crowd, but act as a vital echo-chamber where lies can be repeated often enough to make them seem as truths. It gives legitimacy to bullsh*t.

The conservatives self-select Fox because it isn't 'fair and balanced.' They self-select it because they never once challenge the inner picture held by said conservatives; every event, every news item, is repeated in the light of 'conservative good, liberal bad. Republican good, Democratic bad.'

The fact that Fox viewers regularly score the lowest on tests of actual factual knowledge about world events should tell you something about it, as well; they go out of their way to deceive the casual viewer about the truth. Regularly.

Now, I know you don't want me to hunt down screen captures. Do you?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 01:41 pm
It IS self-selection to some degree and it is the consequences of propaganization to some degree. And it definitely is what cyclo suggests...the echo chamber of soothing unanimity and minimized internal discord.

I posted a serious study for you to read a week or so ago, george. Bet you didn't bother. Why don't you set up a little experiment for yourself...watch PBS Newshour for one week, then Fox news during the same time slot for another. Set some parameters before you begin, like "presentation of multiple views", or "quality/experience/education level of guests", or "are certainties advanced or tenative hypotheses"?

I dare you, you chicken.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 02:43 pm
I watch the PBS news Hour and Fox news with roughly equal irregularity. I also occasionally tune in to the products on NBC & ABC (ABC is every bit as stridently partisan as the worst of Fox). I don't regard any of them as either complete or dispassionate in their reporting, but will readily acknowledge the superiority of the PBS show in conveying or reporting whole stories (those they select) and the relevant information about them.

I don't attach much value to the "balanced" notion now fashionable in the news reporting. Dueling narrow-minded zealots doesn't add anything of value in my view -- that observation applies to the basic formats of some of the the Fox shows and, as well as to the prevailing style for duelling protagonist special reporters on various individual issues that has become so common.

The chief (perhaps only) virtues of the Fox approach is that it reveals and contrasts the otherwise somewhat insidious bias of the other broadcast media. In addition its bias is rather overt and candid - less pretense of something it doesn't deliver). Its popularity clearly attests to these factors, among other things.

I don't think the news media - any of them - are nearly as effective in shaping public attitudes as they would like us to believe. Moreover, I believe the herd instinct is just as strong on the left wing of the American political spectrum as it is on the right,
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 02:46 pm
Quote:

The chief (perhaps only) virtues of the Fox approach is that it reveals and contrasts the otherwise somewhat insidious bias of the other broadcast media. In addition its bias is rather overt and candid - less pretense of something it doesn't deliver). Its popularity clearly attests to these factors, among other things.

A textbook example of how to politely minimize and ignore others' good points. Bravo.

Fox is right wing, the rest of the networks are centrist. There isn't a single network out there that is left-wing. I'd be more than happy to give you proof, but you already know that this is true.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 02:51 pm
Well, what differentiates the "left" and the "right", george. I don't refer to ideas but rather to the acceptance or preference for one set of notions/values or the other set? Is it simply chance?
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 03:50 pm
blatham wrote:
sheesh
Democratic pollster Mark Mellman, via Taegan Goddard's Political Wire: "An audience that decides for itself, based on 'fair and balanced' coverage, ought not to reach monolithic conclusions. Yet, in our 2004 polling with Media Vote, using Nielsen diaries, we found that Fox News viewers supported George Bush over John Kerry by 88 percent to 7 percent. No demographic segment, other than Republicans, was as united in supporting Bush. Conservatives, white evangelical Christians, gun owners, and supporters of the Iraq war all gave Bush fewer votes than did regular Fox News viewers." http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/

Democratic pollster Mark Mellman: "An audience that decides for itself, based on 'fair and balanced' coverage, ought not to reach monolithic conclusions." Shocked

That is outrageous! Not Mellman or anyone else shall dictate what kind of conclusions an audience that decides for itself ought to reach?

If I want to conclude classic monolithic liberalism (aka, conservatism) is better for humanity than is contemporary monolithic liberalism (aka, collectivism), that is strictly my prerogative. For you to conclude the opposite is strictly your prerogative.

POINTS OF VIEW

TELEVISION CHANNELS
ABC
CBS
CNBC
CNN
C-SPAN
FNC
MSNBC
NBC
PBS

NEWSPAPERS
Boston Globe
Los Angeles Times
New York Times
WSJ
Washington Post

FNC (i.e., Fox News Channel) attracts a large percentage of Republican television news viewers, and the WSJ (i.e., Wall Street Journal) attracts a large percentage of Republican newspaper readers. So what? Republicans should not be compelled to watch or read other than what they want to watch or read. Others should enjoy the same privilege. Nor should FNC or WSJ be compelled to broadcast or print any other conclusions or news than those they want to broadcast or print. Other broadcast producers and newspaper publishers should enjoy the same privilege. To not permit anyone or any news outlet these privileges, is to impose Orwellian information control.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 04:09 pm
blatham wrote:
Well, what differentiates the "left" and the "right", george. I don't refer to ideas but rather to the acceptance or preference for one set of notions/values or the other set? Is it simply chance?

They are differentiated by the ideas they embrace and the different political programs they propose. What else?

There are stupid and bright people on both sides, as well as well and poorly informed ones. There are varying degrees of tolerance for opposing views among both groups. History reveals that both have had their excesses, errors, and delusions, and both their moments of (relative to the other) wisdom and right judgement.

Where we fall as individuals in our habitual thoughts, opinions, and outlooks is a complex mixture of many things -- things so variable that generalizations are inherently dangerous. Upbringing and the present circumstances of our lives are certainly a factor (though with a perverse mixture of cause and effect). There are many others, depending on the individual and his/her evolving understandings of the world we inhabit so briefly.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 04:24 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

A textbook example of how to politely minimize and ignore others' good points. Bravo.

Fox is right wing, the rest of the networks are centrist. There isn't a single network out there that is left-wing. I'd be more than happy to give you proof, but you already know that this is true.

Cycloptichorn

"Fox is right wing" Shocked
"the rest of the networks are centrist" Shocked
"There isn't a single network out there that is left-wing" Shocked

I think it essential, in order for you to secure your own mental balance, to explicitly define for yourself right wing, centrist, and left wing. Then tell the rest of us your definitions.

I infer from the ubiquitous media other than FNC and WSJ, that they regard right-wingers to mean people who are exploiters, thieves, murderers, racists, frauds and fools, and centrists to mean everyone else. They seem to regard left-wingers as non-existent.

On the otherhand, I infer that FNC and WSJ regard left-wingers as people who want more government to make life better, right-wingers as people who want less government to make life better, and centrists to consist of those who want some more government for some things and some less government for other things.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 04:29 pm
The other major networks display attitudes which are more balanced - cnn and MSNBC have far more Republican guests and analysts than Dem ones, Headline news gives Glenn Beck a whole hour every night. Fox has no corollary at all.

Here's some facts about Fox, courtesy of Mr. Begala -

Quote:
For those who need reminding of Fox's agenda - using their "fair and balanced" credibility to smear Democrats and help Republicans - here's the bill of particulars:

* Fox News' founder and guiding genius, Roger Ailes, was the chief media strategist for President George H.W. Bush. When you have a Republican political consultant running a news network, don't be surprised if that network becomes a propaganda tool for the Republican Party.

* After the 2006 elections, Fox Senior Vice President John Moody sent a memo to news staff instructing them: "Be on the lookout for any statements from the Iraqi insurgents...thrilled at the prospect of a Dem controlled Congress."

* Robert Greenwald's film Outfoxed exposed 33 similar memos from Moody before the 2004 elections. On Bush: "His political courage and tactical cunning are worth noting in our reporting through the day." On Iraq: "Do not fall into the easy trap of mourning the loss of US lives and asking out loud why are we there?"

* Fox's Iraq coverage was so biased that a university study showed 80 percent of Fox viewers believed one of these three falsehoods: Saddam was behind 9/11; WMD's were found in Iraq, or most of the world supported Mr. Bush's Iraq war. Fox is entitled to its own opinions, but not its own facts.

The fact that Fox viewers score so poorly when asked to describe modern events should tell you everything you need to know.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 04:57 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
The other major networks display attitudes which are more balanced - cnn and MSNBC have far more Republican guests and analysts than Dem ones, Headline news gives Glenn Beck a whole hour every night. Fox has no corollary at all.

Here's some facts about Fox, courtesy of Mr. Begala -

Quote:
For those who need reminding of Fox's agenda --using their "fair and balanced"; credibility to smear Democrats and help Republicans --here's the bill of particulars:

* Fox News' founder and guiding genius, Roger Ailes, was the chief media strategist for President George H.W. Bush. When you have a Republican political consultant running a news network, don't be surprised if that network becomes a propaganda tool for the Republican Party.

* After the 2006 elections, Fox Senior Vice President John Moody sent a memo to news staff instructing them: "Be on the lookout for any statements from the Iraqi insurgents...thrilled at the prospect of a Dem controlled Congress;"

* Robert Greenwald's film Outfoxed exposed 33 similar memos from Moody before the 2004 elections. On Bush: "His political courage and tactical cunning are worth noting in our reporting through the day" On Iraq: "Do not fall into the easy trap of mourning the loss of US lives and asking out loud why are we there?";

* Fox';s Iraq coverage was so biased that a university study showed 80 percent of Fox viewers believed one of these three falsehoods: Saddam was behind 9/11; WMD's were found in Iraq, or most of the world supported Mr. Bush's Iraq war. Fox is entitled to its own opinions, but not its own facts.

The fact that Fox viewers score so poorly when asked to describe modern events should tell you everything you need to know.

Cycloptichorn

I am a Fox viewer. I have not viewed on Fox any of the memos your reference alleges were exchanged within Fox.

I do not believe Saddam was behind 9/11, and of the other Fox viewers I know, not one thinks Saddam was behind 9/11.

I do not believe any ready-to-use WMD's were found in Iraq nor do I know any Fox viewers who believe any ready-to-use WMD's were found in Iraq.

I do not believe most of the world supported Mr. Bush's Iraq war, nor do I know any other FOX viewers who believe most of the world supported Mr. Bush's Iraq war. I and they believe only that most of the Congress did initially support Bush's Iraq war.

I think Fox, Mr. Begala, you Cycloptichorn, and everyone else are entitled to their own opinions, including their own opinions about what the facts are.

In particular, Cycloptichorn, you are entitled to believe the malarkey that "Fox viewers score so poorly when asked to describe modern events," and that that malarkey belief of yours is "everything you need to know."
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 04:59 pm
Shrug. I just don't believe that every poll is a lie, like you do.

When I see more than one poll showing Fox views scoring the lowest on accuracy, that tells me something. But I understand that noone's logic will ever touch your belief.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 05:08 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

When I see more than one poll showing Fox views scoring the lowest on accuracy, that tells me something. But I understand that noone's logic will ever touch your belief.

Cycloptichorn

I know this will rattle your intellectual cage somewhat, but what you have written here makes it too obvious to not note that you are describing your own too frequent failure to comprehend logic.

What are the facts these polls allege are true? Why should one believe these alleged facts merely because they are alleged by the poll analyzers to be true?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 05:35 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Have you noticed that Mr Begalia, far from an impartial observer, is a professional Democrat partisan.

You allege that those with whom you agree are "centrist" and accurate: while those with whom you disagree are extremist; wrong in their understanding; biased in their reporting;and generally uninformed.

Do you detect just a scintilla of partisanship in these views? Do you expect thinking people to take these comments seriously?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 05:42 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Have you noticed that Mr Begalia, far from an impartial observer, is a professional Democrat partisan.

Noticed? When did I ever allege that he wasn't?

Facts pointed out by partisans are no less factual. All four bullet points presented are facts.

Quote:
You allege that those with whom you agree are "centrist" and accurate: while those with whom you disagree are extremist; wrong in their understanding; biased in their reporting;and generally uninformed.

No, those that I agree with are Liberal, not centrist. That's because I am a Liberal, not a centrist. No major news channel is Liberal. None of them. They are centrist and in the case of Fox Right-wing. I don't agree with any of the news channels, for the most part. I think it's accurate and fair to say that Fox is more biased in their reporting than any other channel.

You should see me throwing stuff at Blitzer on CNN before you say things like this.

Quote:
Do you detect just a scintilla of partisanship in these views? Do you expect thinking people to take these comments seriously?

No, I don't detect partisanship when I report facts, even if they are reported by other partisans. You are free to challenge the facts if you like, but your attempts to Poison the Well won't work with me, sorry.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 05:51 pm
It is you, not me, who have dished out the poison -- and you did it to yourself. I was merely attempting to interject a little restraint and caution.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 05:55 pm
http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/poisoning-the-well.html

Quote:
Description of Poisoning the Well

This sort of "reasoning" involves trying to discredit what a person might later claim by presenting unfavorable information (be it true or false) about the person. This "argument" has the following form:

1. Unfavorable information (be it true or false) about person A is presented.
2. Therefore any claims person A makes will be false.

It is a term used to describe the Logical Fallacy you committed, not a reference to actual poison.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 06:17 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:

This sort of "reasoning" involves trying to discredit what a person might later claim by presenting unfavorable information (be it true or false) about the person. This "argument" has the following form:

It is a term used to describe the Logical Fallacy you committed, not a reference to actual poison.

Cycloptichorn

You wrote:"It is a term used to describe the Logical Fallacy you [i.e., georgeob1] committed, not a reference to actual poison."

I finally believe you! You truly don't see it! Amazing!

Poisoning the well is what you do frequently. And, indeed you did poison the well here again in your previous and this post of yours. I am amazed that you do not recognize this. Obviously you do not recognize you've done this, because otherwise you would be terribly embarrassed for committing such a gross error, and accusing others of doing exactly what you have done and do.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 06:41 pm
ican711nm wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:

Cycloptichorn

You wrote:"It is a term used to describe the Logical Fallacy you [i.e., georgeob1] committed, not a reference to actual poison."

I finally believe you! You truly don't see it! Amazing!

Poisoning the well is what you do frequently. And, indeed you did poison the well here again in your previous and this post of yours. I am amazed that you do not recognize this. Obviously you do not recognize you've done this, because otherwise you would be terribly embarrassed for committing such a gross error, and accusing others of doing exactly what you have done and do.

I am not perfect and am of course subject to the same sort of fallacies as other members of this board, who I am not ashamed to be in the company of. But I don't make a habit of it.

It should be a trifling for you to prove me wrong by posting a slew of examples of my Poisoning the Well - that is to say, practicing charcter assisination against third parties.

Now, I certainly hope you realize that this refers to third parties and not first parties such as yourself. When I state "Why should anyone listen to you, Ican, seeing as you've been so spectacularly wrong on Iraq?," I am not Poisining the Well at all, but instead asserting that your judgement is unreliable and a reflection of our problems as a nation.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies