Information control, or, How to get to Orwellian governance

georgeob1

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 06:53 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
When I state "Why should anyone listen to you, Ican, seeing as you've been so spectacularly wrong on Iraq?," I am not Poisining the Well at all, but instead asserting that your judgement is unreliable and a reflection of our problems as a nation.

Cycloptichorn

The problem is that as in the example above, your are making your judgement based on your own interpretation of tha facts, not on verifiable, objective truth. What you and I believe is just what we believe -- the objective truth is another matter. A wise person makes allowance for such possibilities so as to avoid being interpreted as irredemably partisan and therefore not worthy of serious consideration.

You had the same problem in quoting Mr Begalia - a Democrat paid hack - on the supposed defects of Fox news. While the specifics Begalia offered may (or may not) be true, we have every reason to believe that the esteemed Mr Begalia selected ONLY anecdotes that would support his negative view of Fox news. This is hardly a representative selection on which a reasonable person would make an objective assessment. When you assert that it is what it obviously is not, you merely demean yourself, not the person you are criticizing.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 07:15 pm
Some who lack evidence or logic to rebut an argument, villify the arguer. Some others who lack evidence or logic to rebut an argument, try to get some or use some.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 07:16 pm
There was never any presumption that this wasn't exactly what Begala was attempting to do. It was the focus of his discussion. There was never any pretense of 'balance' implied in that list of things which are completely indiciative of Fox's imbalance.

So your accusations fall flat.

My accusations towards Ican, however, are based upon his penchant for making spectacularly incorrect predictions about the course of the war, while at the same time demeaning the manner of those who made the opposite predictions, which have turned out to be far more correct. You are able to judge the predictions as well as I, and you hardly need me to find them for you seeing as he littered the Iraq thread with them several times a week for a year - that is, until even he could no longer deny that things weren't getting bettter in Iraq.

I never intended to offer an objective selection to a reasonable person at all - given that I was adressing Ican, I hardly see how such a thing could have been inferred at all Laughing

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 07:19 pm
ican711nm wrote:
Some who lack evidence or logic to rebut an argument, villify the arguer. Some others who lack evidence or logic to rebut an argument, try to get some or use some.

I'm sorry, exactly what logic is appropriate to use to counter your argument that George Soros runs the Democratic party (and controls my thoughts!)? DOUBLE Laughing

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 08:53 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
ican711nm wrote:

I'm sorry, exactly what logic is appropriate to use to counter your argument that George Soros runs the Democratic party (and controls my thoughts!)? DOUBLE Laughing

Cycloptichorn

FIRST, REBUT THIS:
Quote:
GEORGE SOROS in his 1995 book, page 145, [i]Soros on Soros[/i], wrote:
I do not accept the rules imposed by others. If I did, I would not be alive today. I am a law-abiding citizen, but I recognize that there are regimes that need to be opposed rather than accepted. And in periods of regime change, the normal rules don't apply. One needs to adjust one's behavior to the changing circumstances.

Michael Kaufman in his biography of George Soros, page 293, [i]Soros [/i], wrote:
My goal is to become the conscience of the world

GEORGE SOROS in his 2000 book, page 337, [i]Open Society[/i], wrote:
Usually it takes a crisis to prompt a meaningful change in direction.

GEORGE SOROS in the Washington Post, page A03 of November 11, 2003, wrote:
Ousting Bush from the White House is the central focus of my life. It's a matter of life and death.

GEORGE SOROS in the 2003 edition of his book, page 15, [i]The Alchemy of Finance[/i], wrote:
My greatest fear is that the Bush Doctrine will succeed--that Bush will crush the terrorists, tame the rogue states of the axis of evil, and usher in a golden age of American supremacy. American supremacy is flawed and bound to fail in the long run.

What I am afraid of is that the pursuit of American supremacy may be successful for a while because the United States in fact employs a dominant position in the world today.

GEORGE SOROS on June 10, 2004 to the Associated Press, wrote:

These are not normal times.

GEORGE SOROS in his 2004 book, page 159, [i]The Bubble of American Supremacy[/i], wrote:
The principles of the Declaration of Independence are not self-evident truths but arrangements necessitated by our inherently imperfect understanding.

In April 2005 the Soros funded Campus Progress web site posted this headline: "An Invitation to Help Design the Constitution in 2020" (This was an invitation to a Yale law School Conference on "The Constitution of 2020: a progressive vision of what the Constitution ought to be.")

Sam Hananel in his associated Press article, December 10, 2004, wrote:
On December 9, 2004, Eli Pariser, who headed Soros's group Moveon PAC, boasted to his members, "Now the Democratic Party is our party. We bought it, we own it."

If the Soros $influenced$ news media succeeds in persuading more than 50% of Americans to oppose Bush's plan, it will boost our enemy's effort and it will defeat America in Iraq regardless of whether Bush's modified strategy can work or not.

SECOND, EXPLAIN WHY YOU THINK THAT I HAVE ARGUED THAT:
Quote:
George Soros controls your thoughts.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 11:27 am
Here's evidence for the effectiveness of modern communications technologies to foster greater diversity of opinion through other than governmental control regimes.

Quote:
Saying No to Fox News

By E. J. Dionne Jr.
Friday, April 13, 2007; Page A17

I have this mischievous suspicion that Roger Ailes, the creator and chairman of Fox News, secretly admires the bloggers and other activists working to keep Democratic presidential candidates from debating on his cable network.

To be sure, Ailes will never say this. On the contrary, he is furious that MoveOn.org and others have struck a chord in arguing that Democrats have no business creating any formal link with a network that so openly favors conservative and Republican causes.

"Pressure groups are forcing candidates to conclude that the best strategy for journalists is divide and conquer, to only appear on those networks and venues that give them favorable coverage," Ailes fumed earlier this year as Fox's effort to sponsor a Democratic presidential debate in Nevada was falling apart. "Any candidate for high office of either party who believes he can blacklist any news organization is making a terrible mistake." Using the incendiary word "blacklist" was a nice touch.

What Ailes knows is that the campaign to block Fox from sponsoring Democratic debates is the most effective liberal push-back against the network that stars Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity since its debut on Oct. 7, 1996.

Ailes has been brilliant at having it both ways, insisting that his network is "fair and balanced" even as its right-tilting programming built a devoted conservative following that helped it bury CNN and MSNBC in the ratings.

While Ailes knew precisely what he was doing, his competitors flailed. They dumped one format after another, sometimes trying to lure conservative viewers from Fox by offering their own right-leaning programs. Loyal conservatives preferred the real thing and stuck with Fox.

My hunch is that Ailes, one of the toughest and smartest in a generation of Republican political consultants, sees his adversaries as playing the kind of political hardball he respects. It's why he's angry. The anti-Fox squad won a second round on Monday when Barack Obama and Hillary Rodham Clinton joined John Edwards in announcing that they would not appear at a debate to be sponsored by Fox and the Congressional Black Caucus in September.

The Fox debate saga is amusing, but it's more than that. It marks a transformation on the left driven by the rise of Internet voices and the frustration of liberals at the success of conservatives in using a combination of talk radio, Fox and the Web to propagate anti-liberal, anti-Democratic messages.

From the late 1960s until the past few years, media criticism was dominated by conservatives railing against a supposedly "liberal media." Hearing mostly from this one side, editors, publishers and producers looked constantly over their right shoulders, rarely imagining they could be biased against the left or too accommodating to Republican presidents. This was a great conservative victory.

The Bush years have changed that. Aggressive media criticism is now the rule across the liberal blogs, and new monitoring organizations such as Media Matters for America police news reports for signs of Republican bias, often debunking charges against Democrats. When you combine liberal and conservative media criticism you get a result that is more or less fair and balanced. Score a net gain for liberals.
more at... http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/12/AR2007041201821.html?hpid=opinionsbox1
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 04:23 pm
Blatham, that Washington Post article on the the Democratic avoidance of FNN (i.e., Fox News Network) is blatant malarkey to combat the obvious conclusion. Democratic Candidates are scared to appear on a network program that discusses real news and real issues and asks real questions instead of Democratic propaganda, euphemisms, platitudes and slanders.

Many people -- Democrats, Republicans and Independents -- whether or not they agree or disagree with FNN discussion, they are interested in discussions of real news and real issues and the asking of real questions. They don't hear much of that from the sorosgang's moveOn.org led media.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 11:20 am
Define malarkey.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 12:41 pm
plainoldme wrote:
Define malarkey.

I'll invite a dictionary to define
Quote:

malarkey

Main Entry: ma·lar·key Pronunciation Guide
Variant(s): also ma·lar·ky \mlärk, -lk, -ki\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural malarkeys also malarkies
Etymology: origin unknown
: insincere or pretentious talk or writing designed to impress one and usually to distract attention from ulterior motives or actual conditions : NONSENSE <column> <masters>

By the way, the word malarkey is perceived by many as a euphemism for BS.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 12:45 pm
After reading ican's post, the lady Diane sent in another $50 to moveon.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 12:48 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
You had the same problem in quoting Mr Begalia - a Democrat paid hack - on the supposed defects of Fox news. While the specifics Begalia offered may (or may not) be true, we have every reason to believe that the esteemed Mr Begalia selected ONLY anecdotes that would support his negative view of Fox news. This is hardly a representative selection on which a reasonable person would make an objective assessment.

Without necessarily agreeing that Mr. Begalia is a hack, or that he selectively chose the examples referred to--it is something about which i don't give a rat's ass--what O'George refers to is the fallacy of the enumeration of favorable circumstances. It is a core element of all political propaganda, no matter what the ideology to which one alludes.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 12:49 pm
dyslexia wrote:

Laughing
Malarkey!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 02:06 pm
dyslexia wrote:

And moveon, after receiving the $50 and reading the same post from Ican, promply returned the lady Diane's contribution with the following explanation... "If that's what the opposition looks like, buy yourself a good bottle of scotch and celebrate with us."
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2007 03:00 pm

GEORGE SOROS in his 1995 book, page 145, [i]Soros on Soros[/i], wrote:
I do not accept the rules imposed by others. If I did, I would not be alive today. I am a law-abiding citizen, but I recognize that there are regimes that need to be opposed rather than accepted. And in periods of regime change, the normal rules don't apply. One needs to adjust one's behavior to the changing circumstances.

Bruck, in The World According to Soros, page 58, wrote:
Tividar [George Soros's father] saved his family by splitting them up, providing them with forged papers and false identities as Christians, and bribing Gentile families to take them in. George Soros took the name Sandor Kiss, and posed as the godson of a man named Baumbach, an official of Hungary's fascist regime. Baumbach was assigned to deliver deportation notices to Jews and confiscate Jewish property. [Baumbach] brought young Soros with him on his rounds.

Michael Kaufman in his biography of George Soros, page 293, [i]Soros [/i], wrote:
My goal is to become the conscience of the world."

GEORGE SOROS in his 2000 book, page 337, [i]Open Society[/i], wrote:
Usually it takes a crisis to prompt a meaningful change in direction.

GEORGE SOROS in the Washington Post, page A03 of November 11, 2003, wrote:
Ousting Bush from the White House is the central focus of my life. It's a matter of life and death.

GEORGE SOROS in the 2003 edition of his book, page 15, [i]The Alchemy of Finance[/i], wrote:
My greatest fear is that the Bush Doctrine will succeed--that Bush will crush the terrorists, tame the rogue states of the axis of evil, and usher in a golden age of American supremacy. American supremacy is flawed and bound to fail in the long run.

What I am afraid of is that the pursuit of American supremacy may be successful for a while because the United States in fact employs a dominant position in the world today.

GEORGE SOROS on June 10, 2004 to the Associated Press, wrote:

These are not normal times.

GEORGE SOROS in his 2004 book, page 159, [i]The Bubble of American Supremacy[/i], wrote:
The principles of the Declaration of Independence are not self-evident truths but arrangements necessitated by our inherently imperfect understanding.

Quote:
In April 2005 the Soros funded Campus Progress web site posted this headline: "An Invitation to Help Design the Constitution in 2020" (This was an invitation to a Yale law School Conference on "The Constitution of 2020: a progressive vision of what the Constitution ought to be.")

Sam Hananel in his associated Press article, December 10, 2004, wrote:
On December 9, 2004, Eli Pariser, who headed Soros's group Moveon PAC, boasted to his members, "Now the Democratic Party is our party. We bought it, we own it."

If the Soros purchased news media succeeds in keeping more than 50% of Americans persuaded to oppose Bush's plan, it will boost our enemy's effort and it will defeat America in Iraq regardless of whether Bush's modified strategy can work or not.[/I]
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2007 03:05 pm
So ican, you post indicates you read books by and about George Soros, is that true?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2007 04:20 pm
ican711nm wrote:

Well, ican, the only person villifying you is yourself. As for that second sentence, well, its a doozy. Would be nice if it made sense, but, it doesn't.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2007 04:31 pm
I'm not sure what iteration of the same post this one above constitutes, but it's possibly up around 'homers hit by men on steroids'.

Ican is a bit kooky on this matter but it increases his happiness and that's no small thing.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 02:58 pm
blatham -- Your last post made me laugh out loud. Another person more happy than they were when they sat down at the computer.

I wonder what ican does for a living? I wonder how his coworkers receive him?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 04:33 am
POM

I think Ican is a retired gentleman. I'm pleased I could inspire a guffaw, even if only for a brief moment.

On the matter of Orwell and how this administration (most acutely) utilizes the methodologies of propaganda to manufacture consensus quite regardless of truth, here is a passage from 1984 noted by Glenn Greenwald in relation to the Jessica Lynch/Pat Tillman propaganda. In this passage, Winston is composing a speech for the Ministry of Truth...
Quote:
He might turn the speech into the usual denunciation of traitors and thought-criminals, but that was a little too obvious, while to invent a victory at the front, or some triumph of over-production in the Ninth Three-Year Plan, might complicate the records too much.

What was needed was a piece of pure fantasy. Suddenly there sprang into his mind, ready-made as it were, the image of a certain Comrade Ogilvy, who had recently died in battle, in heroic circumstances. There were occasions when Big Brother devoted his Order for the Day to commemorating some humble, rank-and-file Party member whose life and death he held up as an example worthy to be followed.

Today he should commemorate Comrade Ogilvy. It was true that there was no such person as Comrade Ogilvy, but a few lines of print and a couple of faked photographs would soon bring him into existence.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 09:17 pm
ican711nm wrote:

ican, rest assured that some of us still use logic, and I agree with what you say about Soros. The man must have a guilt complex over his money, or some such weirdness. I know one thing, the man is a dangerous man, and I want no part of his politics. Any politician that takes his money to win is becoming indebted to who knows what for sure, but I do not like the implications.
0 Replies