Information control, or, How to get to Orwellian governance

dlowan

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 05:52 am
Do you have a reference for the New Yorker article?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 06:02 am
Magginkat wrote:
How about this one Brandon...... just one of the more recent in a long list.

George Bush has turned the full force of the world's most powerful spying apparatus on the citizens it was designed to protect.

Wiretapping is a serious crime, punishable by up to five years in prison and a $10,000 fine for each offense. It is frequently employed to gain information that can then be used to commit other crimes such as blackmail and extortion, or to gain unfair advantages over competitors. In totalitarian countries, it is used to crush dissent.

Why would anyone do something illegally when it can be accomplished, legally? Who sits at a green light, waiting for it to turn red so he can violate the law by crossing the intersection against the signal? The President directed the NSA to engage in activities the secret court would not have permitted. So, the only conclusion you can draw from this is that Bush circumvented the law in order to spy on people who he could not spy on legally.
Full & very interestin commentary at:

http://ragemaker.com/stories/2006/thotpolice.htm

Thank you. This is a serious crime, if true. However, the article at your link contained only one assertion of fact - that Bush ordered the NSA to wiretap people without warrants. The rest is ranting about Bush, for instance speculation that he is motivated by the suspicion of a coup against him by his enemies, "real and imagined." This hardly seems like an impartial, objective report of facts. I would accept the charge it makes despite it's obvious loathing of Bush if it contained details and quotations, but it contains only the single statement that he directed the NSA to make illegal wiretaps. Exactly what did he order, and what was his administration's statement about its relationship to the requirement for warrants?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 06:04 am
dlowan wrote:
Do you have a reference for the New Yorker article?

Poop. Sorry bout that... passage quoted from... http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/20/politics/20mora.html

New Yorker article... http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/articles/060227fa_fact
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 06:04 am
McTag wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
McTag wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Can you list one, and I would prefer only one, action which has been ordered or undertaken by the government, and tell me which law it violates. I see the links, but they don't specifically answer the question. It's very easy to give a link, and make the general statement that it proves your point, but I'm not sure it does. If you can give me one example, and cite the law it violates, that would be evidence in support of your point. The abuses at Abu Ghraib, for example, are not, since they were contrary to the orders those soldiers had.

Orders schmorders. Who bought the dog leads? No senior personnel have been charged yet. Who trained in these techniques? Who indented for the hoods, gags, blindfolds? Can we see the scale of the procurement schedules? Who drew up the procedures? Who planned for dogs to be available? Whose idea was the women's underwear and the smearing of the menstrual blood? Not the clowns so far charged, obviously. Who in their right mind believes the official accounts so far given?

I must point out that you have yet to specify even one law that this administration has broken, despite being invited to give a concrete example of what you are alleging. Is it that you cannot give so much as one concrete example? If this administration is trampling all over the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, it seems kind of odd that you can't specifically tell me even one example. You might speculate that higher ups are involved in the Abu Ghraib abuses, but that is speculation only. Again, I invite you to tell me one and only one thing this administration has done which is illegal, and then tell me which law it violates. I am not saying that there are no such cases, only that there are very few.

I answered this in a previous post. I posted twice in answer to this, since it raises a few issues. See my previous post, the one which mentions habeas corpus, the principle by which no-one should be arrested and jailed without being informed why, and shall have the right to be charged and without undue delay to be tried before a judge. Something very like that, I think.

Who was arrested without a charge?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 09:25 am
I see you have changed your statement. You went from this

Brandon9000 wrote:
Can you list one, and I would prefer only one, action which has been ordered or undertaken by the government, and tell me which law it violates.

to this:

Brandon9000 wrote:
I am not saying that there are no such cases, only that there are very few.

But to answer your question:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Quote:
Maher Arar is a telecommunications engineer living in Ottawa, Ontario with his young family. He arrived in Canada in 1987 from Syria, where he was born, and became a Canadian citizen in 1991.

On September 26th, 2002 Mr. Arar was taken into custody by the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) at Kennedy Airport on his way home to Canada after visiting his wife's family in Tunisia. He was questioned about his alleged links to al-Qa'ida for 9 hours without a lawyer and then removed to the Metropolitan Detention Centre in New York. After thirteen days he "disappeared" from U.S. custody. It was later determined that he had been deported to Syria without any hearing, and without the knowledge of the Canadian consulate, his lawyer, or his family.

Deportation to Syria, where torture and incommunicado detention are commonplace for political prisoners, exposed Maher Arar to tremendous risk. Expulsion in such circumstances, without a fair hearing, violates the U.S. Government's obligations under International law, specifically the Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment.

The U.S. also violated the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations by failing to inform the Canadian authorities of its intention to deport Maher Arar, thereby depriving him of the assistance of his consulate.

On October 21st, 2002 Mr. Arar was handed over to Syrian authorities after being held briefly in Jordan for interrogation. He remained in custody, in an undisclosed location, for almost a year, without being charged and without being informed of the details of the case against him. Canadian consular officials visited Arar in detention, but were never allowed to speak to him alone. Between April 22 and August 14, 2003 they were not permitted to see him at all despite numerous requests.

On October 5th, 2003, the eve of his trial before the State Security Court, Mr. Arar was suddenly released to the Canadian Consulate in Damascus by Syrian authorities. The next day he was flown home to Canada to be reunited with his wife and two young children.

link
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 09:27 am
Oh, and this

Brandon9000 wrote:

really reminded me of this here:

Quote:
First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.

Pastor Martin Niemöller
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 09:40 am
old europe wrote:
I see you have changed your statement. You went from this

Brandon9000 wrote:
Can you list one, and I would prefer only one, action which has been ordered or undertaken by the government, and tell me which law it violates.

to this:

Brandon9000 wrote:

How does asking for one and only one example contradict a later statement that I am not claiming there are no examples? I asked for one and only one to prevent the usual liberal practice of giving me a link to 100 vague claims, not because I thought that there were no examples. There are ALWAYS examples of the government acting beyond its authority. I have not contradicted myself in the least.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 09:42 am
old europe wrote:

...But to answer your question:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Quote:
Maher Arar is a telecommunications engineer living in Ottawa, Ontario with his young family. He arrived in Canada in 1987 from Syria, where he was born, and became a Canadian citizen in 1991.

On September 26th, 2002 Mr. Arar was taken into custody by the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) at Kennedy Airport on his way home to Canada after visiting his wife's family in Tunisia. He was questioned about his alleged links to al-Qa'ida for 9 hours without a lawyer and then removed to the Metropolitan Detention Centre in New York. After thirteen days he "disappeared" from U.S. custody. It was later determined that he had been deported to Syria without any hearing, and without the knowledge of the Canadian consulate, his lawyer, or his family.

Deportation to Syria, where torture and incommunicado detention are commonplace for political prisoners, exposed Maher Arar to tremendous risk. Expulsion in such circumstances, without a fair hearing, violates the U.S. Government's obligations under International law, specifically the Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment.

The U.S. also violated the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations by failing to inform the Canadian authorities of its intention to deport Maher Arar, thereby depriving him of the assistance of his consulate.

On October 21st, 2002 Mr. Arar was handed over to Syrian authorities after being held briefly in Jordan for interrogation. He remained in custody, in an undisclosed location, for almost a year, without being charged and without being informed of the details of the case against him. Canadian consular officials visited Arar in detention, but were never allowed to speak to him alone. Between April 22 and August 14, 2003 they were not permitted to see him at all despite numerous requests.

On October 5th, 2003, the eve of his trial before the State Security Court, Mr. Arar was suddenly released to the Canadian Consulate in Damascus by Syrian authorities. The next day he was flown home to Canada to be reunited with his wife and two young children.

link

Which law does this violate? Does habeas corpus under US law apply to non-citizens? Technically, was he arrested or merely picked up?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 09:44 am
old europe wrote:
Oh, and this

Brandon9000 wrote:

really reminded me of this here:

Quote:
First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.

Pastor Martin Niemöller

This is not an argument of any sort. If you can't demonstrate that the present administration is violating legal rights, then you should not be posting in this thread. There are always a few abuses under each and every government, including your perfect one.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 09:49 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Which law does this violate? Does habeas corpus under US law apply to non-citizens? Technically, was he arrested or merely picked up?

I think I made no reference to habeas corpus. You asked for laws that were violated. Do you claim there were no laws violated? Do non-citizens not have any rights in the US?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 10:16 am
I won't be around any further. But this is an important issue and I hope that someone takes it on for me.

All the best.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 11:06 am
old europe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

I think I made no reference to habeas corpus. You asked for laws that were violated. Do you claim there were no laws violated? Do non-citizens not have any rights in the US?

Certainly they have some, but I am trying to determine whether the case you quoted involves a violation of US law. I know for a fact that non-citizens do not enjoy the same Constitutional protections that citizens do, but I simply do not know whether they are entitled to be charged when they are picked arrested, nor do I know whether the individual in question was actually arrested. I don't believe that the immigration service is required to charge or arrest every alien visitor they pick up. Specifically, I want to know whether a US law was violated in this case, or whether the immigration service acted lawfully.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 11:21 am
Fair enough. So we would have to find out what Constitutional protections non-citizens in the US have.

Furthermore, it would have to be determined whether the INS can just pick up alien visitors to the US, specifically visitors who have not committed a crime. Then it would be interesting if the INS (or another branch) can hold alien visitors for 13 days in custody without formally charging or arresting them without violating US laws.

And then, it would have to be determined whether or not the US can deport a non-US-citizen to a foreign country without charging him or formally arresting him, without granting him a hearing and without informing the respective country of the visitor about his deportation to a foreign country.

Furthermore, it would have to be determined whether or not a US citizen, by violating an international agreement or treaty the US government has signed, does violate US law.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 08:38 am
In the news today, of the 98 deaths of persons in American custody in Iraq, at least 34 are murders or suspected murders, by the captors.

Brandon, I don't have any names or locations for you yet. Nor indeed the actual US law which might or might not apply. But these men have been very naughty. Rolling Eyes

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4738008.stm
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 06:26 pm
Maybe you were just worried about the militarization of the Mexican border?

Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld recently told the Council on Foreign Relations that "some of the most critical battles may not be in the streets of Iraq, but in newsrooms."

Now, you want to think about that for a moment or two.

If we assume that Rumsfeld believes what he says, then we must understand that "news" enterprises have, to some significant degree or in some significant number of cases, now become a militarized component of the Department of Defence. Not overt, of course. Effectiveness would be diminished if the byline above Charles Krauthammer's column noted that he was a Major in Covert Intel Ops.

And you'll want to read the following from the Columbia Journalism Review... http://www.cjr.org/issues/2006/3/schulman.asp
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 04:35 am
Quote:
Where policies exist, the board said, they are often focused more on restricting scientists' ability to discuss their findings than on guaranteeing a free flow of information.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/09/science/09research.html
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 05:19 am
Quote:
Cordesman: Report to Congress on Iraq War Borders on 'Deception'
Interviewee: Anthony H. Cordesman
Interviewer: Bernard Gwertzman, Consulting Editor

June 7, 2006

Anthony H. Cordesman, a leading military and intelligence analyst of the Iraq war, says that the Defense Department's latest report to Congress on the status of the Iraq war borders on "deception" by painting an overly upbeat picture. He has written that the report is worthy of an "F."

"You cannot have a climate where you lose this much time without seeing the situation deteriorate," says Cordesman, who holds the Arleigh A. Burke chair in strategy at the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington. "We need to assess these risks, and we need to assess them honestly if we are going to organize the kind of U.S. effort that has the highest possibility of preventing civil conflict" and defeating the insurgency, Cordesman says.

You've been quite critical of the latest quarterly report by the Defense Department to Congress on the situation in Iraq. Why so?

We are seeing a pattern in which we have never had realistic reporting to Congress. But this quarterly report has really failed to address the issues in ways which border on deception...

An obvious conclusion would be that the Pentagon report was done for political reasons to try to make things look better than they are in Iraq with elections coming up in November for Congress.

One wonders. It certainly spins things in a very favorable way in many areas. But the truth of the matter is that it is simply incompetent. It shows a lack of concern for detail, for the facts, [for] addressing the issues that really need to be addressed. That is one of the most discouraging aspects of it. This is a highly partisan environment. There are really bitter and increasingly polarized debates in Congress, among the American people, and in the media over what is happening there. People really need to know the facts, they need to know the risks, and they need to know what level of commitment is needed. It simply is a failure in basic analytic integrity.
http://www.cfr.org/publication/10846/
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 05:41 am
Re: Information control, or, How to get to Orwellian governa
blatham wrote:
We already know that this administration plants faux news stories in both domestic and foreign media, stories composed by US intelligence or by PR firms (eg Lincoln Group) working for intelligence/Pentagon programs or by political operatives seeking to forward administration domestic policies.

Helloooo! Security! There's one of those protester shmotester troublemakers rover here who calls us Orwellian. Someone confine him to a free speech zone, quick!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 06:42 am
And when gitmo suffers three inmate suicides, the proper response is to...of course...kick out all the reporters.
http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002688077

Fuk reality. Fuk truth. Fuk the citizens' need or right to know what government is up to.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 06:56 am
blatham wrote:
And when gitmo suffers three inmate suicides, the proper response is to...of course...kick out all the reporters.
http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002688077

Fuk reality. Fuk truth. Fuk the citizens' need or right to know what government is up to.

At least blame those responsible for ruining the party.

Quote:
Earlier today, a Pentagon spokesman, J.D. Gordon, told E&P that the ejections came because other media outlets were threatening to use [legal action] to get equal access. He would not identify which media outlets threatened legal action, but said more than a dozen news outlets called to complain between Sunday and Monday.
0 Replies