I Fell Off the Wagon and Rolled Into the Junk Food Forest

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 10:32 am
I was doing well with my eating habits. And then the stress came. There was a lot going on in my life and frankly, I just quit trying. So here I am, not back to where I was, which was baaaad, but still eating like crap and over eating.

I am not here to ask for advice so much as to ask a questions:

1- Can fresh fruit be frozen (cut up and stored)? And if so, how do you thaw without it getting all mushy and nasty?

I love fruit, and I'll eat it if it's there but it always seems to go bad before I get to it, and I know I am suppose to buy small quantities and shop frequently but honestly, I don't want to have to grocery shop 3 times a week.

Any advice on what ones freeze well, and which don't? Could they be made into a smoothie when frozen? How do you make a smoothie?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,738 • Replies: 62
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 10:37 am
Smoothies, yep!

That's the best use of frozen fruit, for me. I slice up bananas and put 'em in a ziplock freezer bag, great base (with yogurt) for smoothies, just take out as many as I need and leave the rest.

As for how to make one, I just put in yogurt, bananas, a little milk, and then some other flavor -- usually frozen berries (give a nice color, too). Then blend! Really easy.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 10:46 am
I'm drinking one right now

1 cup frozen berries
1 cup cranberry juice
1 scoop whey protein powder (unflavored, unsweetened)
1 tps flax oil (optional, but it has lots of health benies)

Blend, drink, yummm

I use diluted unsweetend cranberry juice which makes this smoothie quite tart. If you like a sweeter one you could substitute oj or lite cranberry juice cocktail.

I also make them with bananas sometimes but I think the banana flavor takes over.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 10:47 am
Thanks!

I think I might do this. It would make a great breakfast, right? Does it stick to ya?

I need to cut calories somewhere.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 10:48 am
I find that I always eat me fruit and vegetables if they are already cut up for me. The preparation always takes to much time so we found we often were throwing out bad fruits vegetables a week after we bought them. So, when we go shopping we wash, cut and prepare them before we put them in the fridge. It is almost always gone in a few days if we do this.

We cut up the broccoli and cauliflower and put it in a tupperware container with some water in it to keep it fresh. Buy pre-packaged salads which is kind of expensive but we eat more salads due to the convienience. Slice up some radishes and keep them in a tupperware container. Pre-sliced pre-washed mushrooms are easy to find and not that expensive in comparison to other mushrooms. We sometimes make a fruit salad with whatever is looking good that week.

I found it is all in the ease it is available. The easier it is to eat during the week the more of it I will eat and not let go to waste.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 10:48 am
oh and where do you get flax oil?
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 10:49 am
The organic section and sometimes in the cooler by all the tofu and organic cheeses/eggs.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 10:49 am
I like banana flavor, plus they add a creaminess.

Mangoes are divine for smoothies -- Trader Joe's sells them cubed and frozen, they work great. (I don't usually use bananas and mangoes in the same one, mangoes have the same creaminess thing going on.)

I like 'em, they stick well. Especially with yogurt. (You have some sort of lactose intolerance tho, am I remembering that right...?)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 10:52 am
i think bananas and blueberries can be frozen/thawed without losing their texture...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 10:55 am
I used to be lactose intolerant but now am not. Weird, huh?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 11:08 am
Bella Dea wrote:
Thanks!

I think I might do this. It would make a great breakfast, right? Does it stick to ya?

I need to cut calories somewhere.

I like making smoothies in the evening with soy milk and whatever fruit I feel like at the moment....bananas and or any kind of frozen, strawberry, cherry, blueberry..

I got one of those wand hand mixers, the one that just looks like a stick and it's and held. I bought it at walgreens for 10 bucks, doesn't have to be heavy duty for smoothies.

I tried them in the morning, but it doesn't stay with me.

You know what I really like in the am?

I've slice up a mushroom or 2 and sautee, using a little kosher salt to sweat out all that moisture. Then when they're ready, I pour in some of the Cheese and Chive flavor Egg Beaters.
The southwest style is good too.

the little bit of salt makes it taste good, the egg beaters is pure protein, and you get some vegetable in.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 11:13 am
does yogurt freeze?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 11:15 am
Chai Tea wrote:

I tried them in the morning, but it doesn't stay with me.

But if a bagel and cream cheese tides me over til lunch, wouldn't a smoothie? I mean, isn't a bagel just quick burning energy?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 11:15 am
I'm all about the protien. And raising my testosterone.

In fact, if I'm on a road trip and pass a farm, I look for the bull. Then I bite right into his testicles for a 100% direct dose of testosterone. My back looks like a pizza decorated with acid, but it's worth it.

For protien, I walk into the grocery store, and attack the chicken section. I'm immune to salmonella(sp?) poisoning now from eating 7lbs of raw chicken daily. Nobody tries to kick me out of the store, because my lats are each the size of a Hummer H2.

I just throw peanut butter, ziti, and creatine in a blender for a late-night snack.

It's embarrassing walking into a business meeting, and forgetting to remove the syringe from my neck.

Anyway, flax seed oil is right in the vitamin section. They make it in pill form also, as well as fish oil, borage, and omega-3's.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 11:16 am
Is flax oil good for joints? or is that something else I am thinking of?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 11:16 am
A regular bagel is bad, just simple carbs.

Stick with wheat breads, amiga.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 11:17 am
You just keep coming with the questions.

Flax oil is good for protecting your heart, good cholesterol, stuff like that.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 11:18 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
A regular bagel is bad, just simple carbs.

Stick with wheat breads, amiga.

Right. And I might as well glue it to my ass. Save me the time of chewing it.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 11:19 am
What's good for joint health? The meds I am taking cause me pain in my joints. My left side in particular. My ankle, wrist and shoulder. My hip is really bad. Locks up and crap. Hurts and hinders movement when I, ahem, need to be most flexible.

I am starting to stretch and do yoga again but I think I need to lubricate my joints.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 11:20 am
That's right!

Remember kids, the excess simple carbs not used for energy, can be stored as fat.

And you don't want to be fat, right kids?

"NO!"

Ohhhh, no, you don't! Because remember kids, society doesn't value fat people. Their big asses raise airline ticket prices, and even health insurance costs!

"YAY!"
0 Replies