Bush supporters' aftermath thread II

revel

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 07:21 am
In any event, Cheney did admit to having a beer at lunch and the Armstrong woman said they had Dr.Peppers.

According to Cheney's account it was long enough for the beer to wear off before he went hunting; also one beer does not make someone drunk, not even if your taking medicine; I wouldn't think. (not a doctor or anything)

Everyone knows accidents happen. The point is just the conflicting stories and the strange manner of the way the story broke. They must of known this was going to be a story and the delay in reporting it just makes it appears they were covering something no matter if they were or not.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 07:23 am
Whenever you have more than 1 person "telling a story", different versions always occur.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 07:27 am
Since this is a Bush supporter thread I imagine I have already overstayed my welcome, however, woiyo, weak.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 08:36 am
This entire event is really about one thing...information control.

As I noted yesterday, it was Cheney who tried to convince Ford to veto the Freedom of Information Act. Now, you may think American citizens are really stupid, or like children who can't be trusted. You may think that "democracy" should be shaped such that a powerful and wealthy elite (and that is an accurate description) ought to have licence to deny you any and all the information that THEY deem better kept secret. I don't think those things, but you may.

And of course, this FOI instance is but a teeny portion of the same story of secrecy and obfuscation and elitism. Dear citizens...fukk you...go shopping or something. Dear Congress...fukk you. Dear courts...fukk you. And dear press...fukk you too.

Quote:
Current administration seems to relish media's angerBy Steven ThommaKnight Ridder NewspapersWASHINGTON - To many on the outside, it looked like a mistake when Vice President Dick Cheney failed to notify the White House press corps first of his shooting accident. But in the White House, it reflected a strategy of marginalizing the press.
More than ever, the Bush White House ignores traditional news media and presents its message through friendly alternatives, such as talk-show hosts Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity.
And when a reporter appears belligerent in a televised confrontation with the White House spokesman, as NBC's David Gregory did this week, the imagery helps the administration turn the story into one about the press, which energizes a Republican base that hates the media anyway.
More than just a matter of sniping at an enemy, the Bush administration sees the traditional media as hostile. Working to erode their legitimacy in the public's eyes is a critical element of its determination to weaken checks on its power...
http://www.realcities.com/mld/krwashington/13890733.htm
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 08:42 am
Mr. Thomma sounds a bit whiney. McClellan's quip to Gregory (about not being on camera) was funny Smile

Lighten up.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 08:45 am
I think it was actually...partisan cunts, who want to make something out of nothing...fukk you.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 08:46 am
woiyo wrote:
Whenever you have more than 1 person "telling a story", different versions always occur.

More immediate former career was as an insurance adjuster and I worked a lot of liability claims. In incidents such as auto accidents, slip and fall in a heavily populated public place, etc. where you can have a lot of witnesses on the record, you interview them all. You almost never get the exact same story from everybody though all are telling the story to the best of their recollection. Even people riding in the same car that crashed will remember things differently. Any police officer will tell you the same thing; in fact if more than one cop writes up the incident, there will be variances in the police reports.

At the time the event happens, nobody is expecting it to happen and they are not taking mental notes. At the moment of the incident, the incident itself takes precedence over the details.

And then later, if it is politically advantageous to do so, the armchair quarterbacks look at the minor discrepancies and shakes his/her head and smirks, "See? They're all lying!"
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 08:47 am
Source

http://www.scrappleface.com/?p=2180
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 08:48 am
Of course, I can't approve Cheney's mental volcabulary. I just can't.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 08:53 am
JW!! LOL!! I'm sure he's all broken up about it.

They're probably following him around with a defibrillator, because of spontaneous fits of laughter.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 09:25 am
You have to love Scott Ott Smile

Actually of all the MSM figures, the two who are treating this incident appropriately are Letterman and Leno. They are giving it exactly the degree of seriousness it deserves.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 09:31 am
The following is from a 100% GOP partisan source and the source of the data is not provided, but I would bet it is verifiable. (Bobby Eberle is the chief editor of "The Loft".) At any rate, thought it would be appropriate to get it on the record in this thread:

Posted By Bobby Eberle On February 17, 2006 at 7:30 am

The Democrats are great when it comes to sending out a unified message. In this case, when it comes to lobbyists and influence pedaling, they love to point fingers at Republicans and talk about the "culture of corruption." However, once again, the left is big on talk, but short on facts. There may indeed be a culture of corruption in Washington, but it's a trough from which the Democrats are more than happy to drink.

If one were to listen to the Democrats or left-wing political pundits, the image that would be painted is one of widespread corruption among Republican legislators and saintly virtue among the Democrat counterparts. But as the Washington Times points out, lobbyists have actually given more money to the Democrats over the last 15 years than to Republicans.

Since the 1990 election cycle, Democrats have accepted more than $53 million from lobbyists while Republicans have taken more than $48 million for their election campaigns, according to the Center for Responsive Politics.

What's interesting to note is that according to the story, in the early 1990s when the Democrats controlled Congress, "they consistently hauled in more than 70 percent of the town's lobbyist money." Lobby money flowed into the pockets of Democrats who, at the time, did not control 70% of the seats. Conversely, last year, "Republicans took in 55 percent of the lobbyist money, which roughly corresponds to their majority share in Congress."

"When the Democrats were in charge, they were getting an incredibly higher amount of lobbyist money compared to Republicans," said Brian Nick, spokesman for the National Republican Senatorial Committee. "Now that the tables are turned there is parity between the two parties."

What's laughable in the story is that the response from Democrats, who do not dispute the data, is to accuse Republicans of "operating at the behest of the lobbyists who fund their campaigns." HmmmÂ… so what do the Democrats do with their lobby money? Go off and do humanitarian service and ignore the requests of the lobbyists giving them money? I don't think so.

The lobbying business is definitely booming. As the Washington Times notes, the number of lobbyists has doubled in the past 5 years, and "the amount of money that lobbyists spend on campaign contributions has skyrocketed to more than $26 million in the 2004 election cycle from about $3 million in the 1990 election cycle." However, as the statistics show, the overall rise in money flowing out from lobbyists has touched both Democrats and Republicans.

In the last cycle alone, lawyers gave Democrats with $134 million in campaign contributions, according to the Center for Responsive Politics, which does not include lawyer money in the same category as lobbyists. During that same time period, Republicans drew $45 million from lawyers.

The Democrats may be talking about a "culture of corruption", but they are doing it from behind a billboard bought and paid for by left-wing lobby interests. Washington needs to be cleaned up to be sure, but the Democrats have their own culture of corruption, and it's one that needs to be addressed before they can ever be taken seriously with the American people
SOURCE
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 09:39 am
And this was in my morning mail from the American Conservative Union. Senator Allen may be one to watch folks. He's sounding more and more like Reagan.

"Senator Allen just proposed a bill (S. 2262) which calls for the withholding of congressional paychecks if Congressmen and Senators fail to pass all appropriations bills by October 1.

This bill is part of a three-pronged attack to reign in pork barrel spending that also includes:

the passage of a balanced budget amendment

and giving the President a line-item veto

As Senator Allen put it, "It's absurd that full-time legislators can't get their job done on-time, by October 1 -- then several months later -- all kinds of unknown, unchecked spending occurs. They pass it in the dead of night, thinking nobody will notice what's in these appropriations bills."

Allen also said: "What my measure will do is say very clearly, if you fail to pass appropriations bills by the start of the fiscal year -- which is your job, which is what you are paid to do -- your paycheck will be held until you complete your job -- period."

Allen put his money where his mouth was: At the end of last week he introduced the "Pay Check Penalty" (S. 2262) in the U.S. Senate.

Allen said of his colleagues:

"I know this proposal will not be popular in the halls of Congress, but it will be much-appreciated and understood by real people in the real world. It provides powerful incentives for Senators and Congressmen to perform their jobs on time, with discipline, just like people in the private sector."

Let's give this good man all the help we can.

At last, someone on Capitol Hill remembers what the Republican Party has been saying for decades. It's time to stop stealing hard-earned money from the American people."

http://www.acumembers.com/acuallen.html

And if you think THIS group is a shill for the GOP, the following was also included in the e-mail:

WARNING: IF YOU'RE ON MEDICATION FOR HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, DON'T READ WHAT FOLLOWS.

As of February 10, 2006, the federal deficit had reached $8.2 trillion!

In Fiscal Year 2005, your government -- yours and mine -- ran up $352 billion JUST IN INTEREST ON THE NATIONAL DEBT.

So far, in Fiscal Year 2006, we -- you and I -- are already looking at an interest bill of over $153 billion.

What do those figures mean? Maybe this will help: NASA is currently budgeted at $15 billion, education at $61 billion, and the Department of Transportation at $56 billion.

While Washington is chattering about Dick Cheney's hunting accident, the national debt is shooting up through the stratosphere -- on its way to Mars.

So where's the GOP -- the conservative party, the guys who want to downsize government and cut out pork?

This past week, that GOP -- too long missing from Washington -- stepped out of the shadows, cleared its throat, and said, "STOP IT!"

The voice was that of Senator George Allen -- Virginian... intelligent... forthright... conservative. And he declared war on Congress itself.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 03:40 pm
This just in:

"Religion of Peace" puts $1 million bounty on head of Danish cartoonist.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 03:47 pm
Quote:

So where's the GOP -- the conservative party, the guys who want to downsize government and cut out pork?

Stirring words, 100% true. It's about time conservatives started realizing this fact.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 04:03 pm
Anyone else have a problem with the planned sale giving UAE's "Dubai Ports World "control over six major US ports?

LINK

Why gamble?
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 04:44 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Anyone else have a problem with the planned sale giving UAE's "Dubai Ports World "control over six major US ports?

LINK

Why gamble?

Ya just gotta love dem Republicans!!

Anon
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 04:59 pm
Ticomaya wrote:

LINK

Why gamble?

Yup. But though one might think policy ought to influence such huge-dollar deals and hugely wealthy corporations, I think it works the other way around...they establish the policy.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 05:03 pm
Ticomaya wrote:

LINK

Why gamble?

Yes, the talk show circuit, most particularly Michael Savage, Sean Hannity, and Matt Drudge, have been criticizing this for about a week now. I have already registered my concerns with my elected representatives and encourage others to do the same. It may not be a serious as the Washington Post makes it sound, but the fact that so many GOPers in Congress are questioning it does make it sound like a bad idea.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 05:20 pm
Conservatives and Republicans may noit be so partisan as the Left wishs for them to be. Here's Rasmussen's latest report on Joe Lieberman:

Quote:
February 17, 2006--Connecticut Senator Joe Lieberman (D) has angered the left wing of his own party with his position on the war in Iraq. However, Connecticut voters are evenly divided on the question--39% agree with Lieberman's position on Iraq while 40% disagree.

Other survey data suggests that this issue is not a serious obstacle to Lieberman's plans for another six-year term in the U.S. Senate. That's true even if Lieberman were to run as an Independent candidate.

If Lieberman runs as a Democrat and is challenged by former Governor Lowell Weicker running as an independent, Lieberman leads by 21 percentage points--46% to 25%. That's essentially unchanged from our January election poll in Connecticut.

Businessman Ned Lamont is considering a challenge to Lieberman for the Democratic Party nomination. However, if Lamont were to run as a Democrat and Lieberman as an Independent, the incumbent Senator still shows a 20-point advantage and leads Lamont 45% to 24%.

In this match-up, with Lieberman running as an Independent, he leads Lamont by 11 percentage points among voting Democrats. He also wins a solid plurality of Republican and unaffiliated voters against both Lamont and a generic Republican candidate.

SOURCE

I think the American public regardless of party affiliation would vote for a chimpanzee that would get back to solid conservative values.
0 Replies