Bush supporters' aftermath thread II

mysteryman

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 01:00 pm
Thomas wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Even if its legal to run those cartoons,isnt it kind of silly to print something that you KNOW will offend so many people?

Yes it is silly, unless there are other reasons to print it anyway. But of course, that's just my opinion (TM).

I would agree,but I would like to know what those "other" reasons are.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 01:04 pm
Actually, Thomas, this is precisely why I'm so elated over the latest confirmations of our newest Supreme Court justices. They are both on record with their views of the role of international law in American courts and I'm delighted that those views mirror my own.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 01:05 pm
Journalism? Showing what the fuss is all about? Demonstrating that freedom of speech is important? Don't know....

Interestingly, even that one Jordanian weekly reprinted the cartoons. I'd really like to know their reasons as well.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 01:06 pm
(answering mysteryman, of course....)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 01:07 pm
I agree. While there has been/might have been reason to publish them in the originally in that one Danish paper it's kind of stupid that they are now published over and over again ..... especially by some papers (like the German Die Welt) which refuse to publish even art from museums, which they think is 'blasphemic'.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 01:10 pm
Yeah, that was especially stupid....
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 01:17 pm
JustWonders wrote:
Actually, Thomas, this is precisely why I'm so elated over the latest confirmations of our newest Supreme Court justices. They are both on record with their views of the role of international law in American courts and I'm delighted that those views mirror my own.

I wouldn't be so sure if I were you. After all, your Supreme Court's hard line on individual freedoms is a relatively new development that emerged under the Warren Court. But this line is hard to reconcile with an originalist reading of your constitution. According to Findlaw's annotated constitution, "all the states that ratified the First Amendment had laws making blasphemy or profanity or both crimes". Thus, conservative Supreme Court justices will not constrain your liberties by incorporating international law. But they may well constrain them by eroding or overruling Warren Court precedents.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 01:26 pm
Thomas wrote:
JustWonders wrote:

I wouldn't be so sure if I were you. After all, your Supreme Court's hard line on individual freedoms is a relatively new development that emerged under the Warren Court. But this line is hard to reconcile with an originalist reading of your constitution. According to Findlaw's annotated constitution, "all the states that ratified the First Amendment had laws making blasphemy or profanity or both crimes". Thus, conservative Supreme Court justices will not constrain your liberties by incorporating international law. But they may well constrain them by eroding or overruling Warren Court precedents.

Possibly. I doubt we'll see fatwas hurled from the bench in my lifetime, though Smile
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 01:32 pm
Thomas wrote:

True enough. But this alone will not create a restriction to liberty. Elected Legislatures must act to create them, and even with this the other provisions of the Constitution, including the Bill of Rights, will still limit the legislature's field of action. There is, in addition, a world of mischief that can result from a too "elastic" interpretation of the constitution that should be considered as well. There are indeed potential adverse side effects to a dominant opriginalist interpretation. However, there are also bad side sffects to its alternative.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 03:14 pm
I dont see adverse effects when the Constitution is interpreted as written (including amendments).

What would some of those effects be,as you see them?
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 03:19 pm
McGentrix wrote:
http://boortz.com/images/muhammed_cartoon.jpg

Worth rioting over?

This is what all the bloody noise is about???

Anonj
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 05:25 pm
It seems that at least one of three things has happened. (1) I have misunderstood what we are disagreeing about, (2) Georgeob1 didn't have the whole context of our discussion when he posted; (3) JW changed the subject on me in the middle of the debate.

As I understand it, we were talking about the difference between German and American law with regard to the Mohammed caricatures. In America, the relevant rule is the First Amendment. Your Supreme Court interprets it to mean that all prohibitions are unconstitutional except when it prevents a clear and imminent danger. (There are other constraints, but they don't apply here.)

German law, by contrast, prohibits the public insulting of a religion in a manner "that is capable of disturbing the public peace". That's a weaker constraint on government regulation of speech -- but it's a difference in degree, not in kind. Your current Supreme Court Our would probably hold our criminal law unconstitutional. But the distance is fairly small, and the Supreme Court may well bridge it if incorporates more foreign law into the constitution -- or if it reverts to a more originalist interpretation.

So in contrast to what georgeob1 and mysteryman imply, I don't think that an originalist interpretation would necessarily yield bad results. But JW has clearly implied that he sees German law as a compelling reason to appoint conservatives to the Supreme Court. I simply don't see where he's coming from here. If he's afraid of hearing "fatwas hurled from the bench", he certainly needn't fear German law. Our courts don't hurl fatwas from their benches either.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 06:32 pm
Thomas wrote:
It seems that at least one of three things has happened. (1) I have misunderstood what we are disagreeing about, (2) Georgeob1 didn't have the whole context of our discussion when he posted; (3) JW changed the subject on me in the middle of the debate.

I did. I apologize, but I thought the discussion had wound down. Oops.

Thomas wrote:
As I understand it, we were talking about the difference between German and American law with regard to the Mohammed caricatures. In America, the relevant rule is the First Amendment. Your Supreme Court interprets it to mean that all prohibitions are unconstitutional except when it prevents a clear and imminent danger. (There are other constraints, but they don't apply here.)

Free speech in the U.S. means just that. It doesn't mean we're free to say what we want until it offends someone. The latter isn't acceptable to me. There are other ways of dealing with excessive offense against religion other than demanding it end. Boycotts and debating against it on its merits are both civilized; threatening death to anyone who breaks the tenets of a religion is not.

Thomas wrote:
German law, by contrast, prohibits the public insulting of a religion in a manner "that is capable of disturbing the public peace". That's a weaker constraint on government regulation of speech -- but it's a difference in degree, not in kind. Your current Supreme Court Our would probably hold our criminal law unconstitutional. But the distance is fairly small, and the Supreme Court may well bridge it if incorporates more foreign law into the constitution -- or if it reverts to a more originalist interpretation.

I'm not sure if the fashion ad I mentioned that was banned in France would also be banned in Germany. I suppose you wouldn't really know until the ad ran and someone "disturbed the peace". In France's case, it was merely written protest by some bishops, although I believe it did end up in the courts.
Thomas wrote:
So in contrast to what georgeob1 and mysteryman imply, I don't think that an originalist interpretation would necessarily yield bad results. But JW has clearly implied that he sees German law as a compelling reason to appoint conservatives to the Supreme Court. I simply don't see where he's coming from here. If he's afraid of hearing "fatwas hurled from the bench", he certainly needn't fear German law. Our courts don't hurl fatwas from their benches either.

I wasn't thinking exclusively about German law when I made my statement about Dubya's excellent choices, but rather international law in general. Germany and France are not the only countries to have enacted blasphemy laws. and it's not only those laws that I'm concerned with. My statement about fatwas wasn't made from fear, nor did I intend to imply that Germany had engaged in that. It's my hope that the makeup of the U.S. Court, as it stands now, would preclude any further inspection of international precedents to select the "proper" laws.

BTW, I'm a "she", and all of this is, of course, merely my opinion.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 08:22 pm
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/03/ap/politics/mainD8FHTD1G9.shtml

Anyone know more about this? I'm not too familiar with Reed.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 09:48 pm
Thomas is correct - I hadn't grasped the entire context of the thread. My comments reflected only my preference for what is often termed an "originalist" interpretation of our Constitution. While I don't preclude some amendment of our Constitution to better reflect changed circumstances or values, I want to see such changes enacted through the mandated legislative process, instead of being established by 12 judges who are not accountable to an electorate.

Religions are insulted and mocked here quite frequently, and I see no particular reason to give Moslems special treatment in this regard. Freedom of expression is more important in my view. Coarse and vulgar as our habits in this area may be, we have a pretty good track record assimilating people of different cultures and adapting new cultural features from immigrants.

At the same time I have no quarrel with the German law in this area. This is a matter for them to decide, and I wouldn't want to see an extra-national body of any kind dictate either to them or us how such things should be treated.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 10:24 pm
bm
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 11:02 pm
Thomas wrote:
I guess it's the same problem as with blackmail. If people around the world notice that riots and murders are all it takes to make a democracy will accomodate them, we will see more of it in non-democratic countries. It's not just in Islamic countries, it could be Cuba or Belarus, too.
Interesting observation, but I wouldn't necessarily align it with blackmail. Riots and murders in an uprising against oppression; I find a forgivable, even necessary shout out for help. In my personal life I've often stepped in front of the bully. However, I wouldn't do so if the bullied wasn't complaining. For instance; since moving back to Wisconsin I've noticed a disgusting rash of ass-grabbing going on. My instinct is to instill some manners in the grabbers, in every unwelcome instance, but have learned to ignore it (with gritted teeth) in cases where the grabby isn't complainingÂ… because I can't justify a potentially violent re-reaction simply to suit my own sense of duty. I prefer it when victims voice their complaints, and encourage them to do so, because I prefer my little corner of the world to be free of victimizers. Extrapolate that bit of conscience to the victimized citizens of the world, and I'll welcome their boisterous complaints and double cross my fingers that their cries for help are answered.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 11:16 pm
It's good to see the Muslims mad at someone besides America for a change...
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 11:19 pm
Modern Arabic culture, irrespective of Islam, is so intolerant, so machismo, so irrational, that there is little hope for a peaceful resolution of the conflicts among oil bearing nations.

There is no greater international issue facing the US than freeing ourselves from the thrall of a incredibly dysfunctional region of the earth.

Take oil out of the international picture and the Middle East becomes Africa.

Africa is every bit as dysfunctional as the Middle East, and yet we couldn't care less---they don't have huge oil reserves.

The Arabs of today are not the Arabs that gave us mathematics, any more than the Greeks of today are not the Greeks that gave us philosophy.

Converting our economy to a non-oil based platform is incredibly daunting. Converting the Arabs to a liberal democratic society is even more daunting, and therefore we need to push corn husk fuels!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 11:39 pm
JustWonders wrote:
Thomas wrote:
I wasn't thinking exclusively about German law when I made my statement about Dubya's excellent choices, but rather international law in general. Germany and France are not the only countries to have enacted blasphemy laws. and it's not only those laws that I'm concerned with.

Actually, it isn't international law but excatly the national criminal law/code.

I noted that on the "Blasphemy thread" already and gave the link to it here twice: Germany doesn't have a 'blasphemy law' since 1969.
0 Replies