THE US, THE UN AND IRAQ, TENTH THREAD.

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 04:48 pm
Cyclo, You're trying to have a discussion with a guy who thinks nothing of wholesale extermination of a group of people. The guys a mental sicko.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 04:50 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Cyclo, You're trying to have a discussion with a guy who thinks nothing of wholesale extermination of a group of people. The guys a mental sicko.

I'd like to think that this isn't true. But I do wonder.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 06:29 pm
hamburger wrote:
mm :
the iraqi government has gone on vacation - please don't bother them !
seriously , i wonder where they've gone to ? i bet they are NOT in any of the hotspots - except perhaps dubai , where it is HOT and there are some lovely resorts .
hbg

THe US congress has gone on vacation for a month also.
They have left many things either not done or not even started.

Do you think it was wrong for them to go on vacation also?
After all,we are at war.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 06:37 pm
mysteryman wrote:
hamburger wrote:
mm :
the iraqi government has gone on vacation - please don't bother them !
seriously , i wonder where they've gone to ? i bet they are NOT in any of the hotspots - except perhaps dubai , where it is HOT and there are some lovely resorts .
hbg

THe US congress has gone on vacation for a month also.
They have left many things either not done or not even started.

Do you think it was wrong for them to go on vacation also?
After all,we are at war.

Well, I for one think it was wrong that our congress takes a month-long paid vacation. So yes, I think it was wrong for BOTH assemblies to shirk their duties in the name of taking a break.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 06:40 pm
We can't blame the congress for the continuing quagmire in Iraq; that's Bush's responsibility. During the past five years of Bush's war, he's taken more vacations than any president during war time or peace time.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 07:47 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
ican711nm wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
Report finds Iraqi government precarious

By PAULINE JELINEK and KATHERINE SHRADER, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 9 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - The Iraqi government will become more precarious over the next six to 12 months and its security forces have not improved enough to operate without outside help, U.S. spy agencies conclude in a new assessment of the country's political and military fortunes.

Despite some uneven improvements, the analysts concluded that the level of overall violence is high, Iraq's sectarian groups remain unreconciled, and al-Qaida in Iraq is still able to conduct highly visible attacks.

That is the opinion of PAULINE JELINEK and KATHERINE SHRADER, Associated Press Writers about what "U.S. spy agencies conclude in a new assessment of the country's political and military fortunes."

We'll learn more of the truth in less than a month.

No we won't. The NIE that was released today says exactly what the reporters wrote here.

What is your link?

In a month, the Bush WH will put out a report saying exactly the same things they have been saying all along. Petraeus will have absolutely nothing to do with this report.

Petraeus will have a great deal to say about what is in the report Bush submits to Congress in September, just like Petraeus had a lgreat deal to say about what was in Bush's July report. The Congress specifically asked Bush to provide both the July and September reports.

Cycloptichorn

Um, my link is to the text of the NIE - http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/docs/nie-iraq-stability/

Cycloptichorn wrote:
... The NIE that was released today says exactly what the reporters wrote here.

Looks like the reporters actually got their stuff from the NIE. Laughing

Cycloptichorn wrote:
How do you know that Petraeus will have a great deal to say about what is in the report?

Cycloptichorn

You do not know he won't! He had a great deal to say about the contents of Bush's July report to Congress. So I expect he'll have a great deal to say about the contents of Bush's September report.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 07:51 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:

This is slander! You're not well!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 07:52 pm
Published on Tuesday, August 9, 2005 by the Niagra Falls Reporter
Bush Vacations While Soldiers Die
by Bill Gallagher

The worst commander in chief in American history is relaxing, escaping from reality, and enjoying his five-week vacation down on the ranch. Maybe he should spend a little time reviewing his war plan for prevailing in Iraq, thinking of a way to end the carnage and get U.S. troops home safely.
Such a review is clearly in order, but don't count on this commander in chief questioning his own judgments and actually considering the possibility that he's made horrible mistakes and miscalculations.

The war in Iraq is all about politics, and George W. Bush practices the politics of Karl Rove.

Change the focus. Change the debate. Confuse and conquer. Call what you're doing something else. But even when the overwhelming evidence points to grievous error, never admit it.

This political strategy also fits well with Bush's substance-damaged personality. Decades of serious and admitted alcohol abuse -- along with suspected, yet so far unacknowledged, cocaine use -- leave a muddled, damaged mind, incapable of reflective thinking. Two other failed commanders in chief -- Lyndon Johnson and Richard Nixon -- had similar substance abuse issues, megalomania and personalities that closed their minds to the grim facts of their disastrous war plans.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 08:05 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
ican711nm wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
ican711nm wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
Somebody has finally acknowledged that extended tours of duty [are] not healthy for our troops.

That acknowledgment is the most recent of a long series of such acknowledgments.

You need to acknowledge , like so many others have already, that we must not pull out of Iraq until we succeed in Iraq.

Your 'must' is not a 'must' at all.

Cycloptichorn

Sure it is!

I'll ask you the same questions I asked cice, but so far cice refused to answer.

A = the consequences of our leaving without achieving success in Iraq.

B = the consequences of our staying until achieving success in Iraq.

Which consequences, A or B, do you think will result in the fewest mass murders of Iraqi non-murderers over the next ten years, and why do you think so?

Which consequences, A or B, do you think will result in the fewest mass murders of American non-murderers over the next ten years, and why do you think so?

Quote:
old europe wrote:
ican, how would you define "success in Iraq?"

ican711nm wrote:

(1)The mass murder of Iraqi non-murderers is reduced to less than 1,000 per month;

(2) the Iraq Government continues for one year after that to reduce the mass murder of Iraqi non-murderers; and

(3) al-Qaeda continues for one year after that to be denied sanctuary anywhere in Iraq by the Iraq government.

I define 'success' differently then you do. But, to play along, I don't think there's any way of predicting which option, A or B, will lead to less overall Iraqi deaths. There is absolutely zero doubt in my mind that option B will lead to less American deaths.

Why? Because we cannot stamp out terrorism with armed forces alone, and the more we try to do so, the more resentment the unintentional victims of our actions will feel. This invites trouble to our shores. Haven't you learned the lessons of our past mistakes?

Cycloptichorn

You wrote:
Quote:
There is absolutely zero doubt in my mind that option B will lead to less American deaths.

I wrote:
Quote:
A = the consequences of our leaving without achieving success in Iraq.

B = the consequences of our staying until achieving success in Iraq.

I agree that option B will lead to less American deaths.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 08:07 pm
Bush should have been attending this wedding.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/08/21/arts/wedding.jpg

Other warriors here. Purple Hearts

Joe(you talk about being in love.)Nation
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 08:32 pm
Not only deaths but also injuries - both physical and mental. Some will also commit suicide, and some will die from their injuries after they return home. Without a political solution, there is no military solution.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 09:01 am
The surge was a giant step backward. Without any potential for a political solution, no military success will work. These generals are only thinking about their own careers, and sacrificing the soldiers for a goal that's not even articulated. They're talking about an open-ended occupation of Iraq.

U.S. general wary of withdrawal plan

By ANNE FLAHERTY, Associated Press Writer
19 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - The U.S. military commander in one of the more troubled areas of Iraq said Friday that embracing Sen. John Warner's call to begin troop withdrawals before the end of the year would be "a giant step backward."

Army Maj. Gen. Rick Lynch, commander of troops south of Baghdad, said that in such a scenario, militants pushed from his sector in recent operations would quickly return.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 11:03 am
I never really believed petraeus would have too much different than Bush; but I was under the impression (and I think most everybody else) the much touted September Petraues report would have been written by Petraues. I think the trick is just another in a long line of their crooked dealings with the American public to lend credibilty where they have none themselves.

Quote:
Given their credibility, the argument goes, their assessments should carry enormous weight. And on the other side of the aisle, critics of the administration have wondered how best to respond to a predictable report, written by Bush allies who have given skeptics reason to worry about their objectivity.

But this entire discussion seems to have been missing the point. Petraeus and Crocker aren't going to report to Congress; they're going to provide information to White House officials, who will in turn tell lawmakers how great things are going in Iraq. Petraeus and Crocker will apparently offer raw data, which the Bush gang will happily interpret on their behalf.

In other words, whether you find Petraeus and Crocker credible or not is irrelevant. Their much-anticipated September report will have their names on it, but will be ghost-written by the least credible sources the nation has on Iraq: the Bush White House.

What's more, the same article (in the 30th paragraph) added this gem:

The senior administration official said the process had created "uncomfortable positions" for the White House because of debates over what constitutes "satisfactory progress."

During internal White House discussion of a July interim report, some officials urged the administration to claim progress in policy areas such as legislation to divvy up Iraq's oil revenue, even though no final agreement had been reached. Others argued that such assertions would be disingenuous.

So, when preparing a mandated status report in July, the administration openly considered and discussed the merits of lying to Congress. This apparently made some officials "uncomfortable."

Only 523 days to go….

source

confirmation
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 11:35 am
I have always maintained that most generals are more interested in their own careers than they are their soldiers fighting the battles; that's the only way they can make a name for themselves.

It was evident from the very beginning of this war when our troops were not property trained or equipped, but were put into harms way. This went on for years into the war. There's no excuse for such irresponsibility. Even Rummy said "you fight a war with what you have, not what you wish you had."

Even as Bush continued to say "support our troops," he reduced funding for veteran's benefits and added co-pays to get services they should be getting for free. All these people are ogres.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 12:40 pm
Congress will question Petraeus in September just as Congress questioned Petraeus in July.

The people who without providing evidence chant the pseudo-liberal slanderous dirge that the administration's analysis of the situation in Iraq is not to be trusted, are repeatedly announcing they are frauds or fools, and are themselves not to be trusted..
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 12:44 pm
ican711nm wrote:
Congress will question Petraeus in September just as Congress questioned Petraeus in July.

The people who without providing evidence chant the pseudo-liberal slanderous dirge that the administration's analysis of the situation in Iraq is not to be trusted, are repeatedly announcing they are frauds or fools, and are themselves not to be trusted..

Yep.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 12:50 pm
Lets see now, how many positions has Harry Reid had on this? Not enough troops, too many, hmmmm....?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 01:05 pm
ican711nm wrote:

Well, the WH was working to keep this from happening, actually. Several senators had to publicly complain in order to shame the WH into allowing him to testify publicly.

Look, Petraeus is often cited as the 'resident expert' on combating guerrilla warfare for the US armed forces. And he probably deserves to be called that. But his own manuals on how to fight such a force, call for far greater troop commitments then we have given the problem, or COULD give the problem, and far longer timelines for success.

There's no doubt that he's going to do the best he can with what he has. But he has nowhere near the conditions that he himself deems necessary for success. So why should anyone actually expect success?

The administrations' analysis isn't to be trusted, because they lie, and have lied, for years, about the state of Iraq. They have continually been wrong in their predictions of political and military progress by the Iraqis. Why should anyone believe them any longer?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 01:13 pm
Anyone know why it's necessary to have the Tenth and Eleventh Iraq thread going simultaneously? Laughing
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 01:30 pm
Perhaps the marijuana legalization thread could lend some answers... Twisted Evil
0 Replies