THE US, THE UN AND IRAQ, TENTH THREAD.

dyslexia

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 05:26 pm
Ican, it appears to me that you are letting your nose drop.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 08:00 pm
I have never seen precise numbers of Iraqi fatalities. Even if some report shows some exacting number like 53,051, I doubt very much anyone in Iraq is able to obtain exact numbers for lack of communication, mass murders being buried, and all the hospitals not having the ability or time to keep track of such things. I believe the best numbers are those that gives a range like 85,000 to 100,000. Even then, I think they're low-balling the numbers for lack of real information.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 10:47 pm
http://i10.tinypic.com/4koiul4.jpg

Quote:
Displaced Iraqis double despite US military surge

The number of Iraqis who have fled their homes but remained in the country has more than doubled to 1.14 million, despite the "surge" in numbers of US troops in recent months, according to a leading humanitarian organisation.
Statistics collected by the Iraqi Red Crescent Society showed 447,000 internally displaced Iraqis on January 1, soaring to the current figure on July 1 after the deployment of 30,000 extra American personnel starting in February.

The new data, released at the weekend, show that sectarian conflict remains undiminished - despite Washington's claims of an improvement in the security situation in the Baghdad area - and that different communities are now gravitating apart, creating a de facto partition as Shia Muslims move south and Sunnis to the centre and west of the country. The UNHCR said recently that on average 50,000 Iraqis were now fleeing their homes every month. The trend was confirmed last month by the UN's Geneva-based International Organisation for Migration (IOM), which found that internal displacements had escalated since the al-Qaida bombing of the Shia al-Askari shrine in Samarra in February 2006.

In addition to those who have abandoned their homes but stayed in Iraq, some 2 million Iraqis have now fled the country since the 2003 US invasion, with most now living in neighbouring Syria and Jordan.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 11:13 am
hamburger wrote:
re. ICAN'S report on iraqi deaths .
-----------------------------------------
since the body count is a very exact one (example : 1993 - 53,951 , not approximately 53,900 or 53,950 ) someone must have had a very fine toothcomb to come up with those numbers .
since no source is specified , we are being asked to accept those numbers at face value .

the wall street journal published rather different numbers in october 2006 .
they are certainly NOT as precise and perhaps even have a slightly different base , but at least the source is given .

a/t their report appr. 600,000 iraqis died from march 2003 to 2006 from violent causes .
they further state that a/t human rights watch appr. 250,000 to 290,000 iraqis died during the 20 year rule under SH.

as i said , the WSJ count is not as exact , so perhaps whoever has the background information for ican's numbers has a complete list of the people that died from which the numbers were compiled .
i am wondering if the WSJ would be interested in receiving the background information about the exact body count cited by ican .
it should probably be relatively easy to provide those details - someone must have established those counts - but who ?
hbg

source :
WSJ - IRAQ DEATH COUNT

http://www.iraqbodycount.org/database/
TOTAL BODY COUNT JANUARY 1, 2003 TO JUNE 30, 2007 = 76,632
AVERAGE PER MONTH JANUARY 1, 2003 TO JUNE 30, 2007 = 1,419

TOTAL BODY COUNT JULY 1, 2006 TO JUNE 30, 2007 = 30,888
AVERAGE PER MONTH JULY 1, 2006 TO JUNE 30, 2007 = 2,574

My computations for 1993 through 2000 are based on my copies of Encyclopedia Britanica Books of the Year for 1994 through 2001, Iraq/Demography/Vital statistics
VIOLENT DEATHS JANUARY 1, 1993 TO DECEMBER 31, 2000 = 569,916
AVERAGE PER MONTH JANUARY 1, 1993 TO DECEMBER 31, 2000 = 4,749
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 11:15 am
ican711nm wrote:
hamburger wrote:
since the body count is a very exact one (example : 1993 - 53,951 , not approximately 53,900 or 53,950 ) someone must have had a very fine toothcomb to come up with those numbers .
since no source is specified , we are being asked to accept those numbers at face value .

they are certainly NOT as precise and perhaps even have a slightly different base , but at least the source is given .

a/t their report appr. 600,000 iraqis died from march 2003 to 2006 from violent causes .
they further state that a/t human rights watch appr. 250,000 to 290,000 iraqis died during the 20 year rule under SH.

as i said , the WSJ count is not as exact , so perhaps whoever has the background information for ican's numbers has a complete list of the people that died from which the numbers were compiled .
i am wondering if the WSJ would be interested in receiving the background information about the exact body count cited by ican .
it should probably be relatively easy to provide those details - someone must have established those counts - but who ?
hbg

source :
WSJ - IRAQ DEATH COUNT

My computations for 1993 through 2000 are based on my copies of Encyclopedia Britanica Books of the Year for 1994 through 2001, Iraq/Demography/Vital statistics

Yes, but where did Brittanica get their statistics?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 11:22 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
ican711nm wrote:
hamburger wrote:

hbg

source :
WSJ - IRAQ DEATH COUNT

Yes, but where did Brittanica get their statistics?

Cycloptichorn

Excellent question!

Generally, Britannica finishes collecting its statistics from its sources for a given year about a year after the year they cite.

On the otherhand, IBC collects its statistics from its sources about 2 months after the month they cite.

I don't know the sources in either case.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 11:32 am
dyslexia wrote:
Ican, it appears to me that you are letting your nose drop.

Laughing Your RADAR is fantastic! Occasionally, even I have to descend to land to refuel and/or pass an annual inspection.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 11:34 am
Walter posted: Quote:

The number of Iraqis who have fled their homes but remained in the country has more than doubled to 1.14 million, despite the "surge" in numbers of US troops in recent months, according to a leading humanitarian organisation.
Statistics collected by the Iraqi Red Crescent Society showed 447,000 internally displaced Iraqis on January 1, soaring to the current figure on July 1 after the deployment of 30,000 extra American personnel starting in February.

The new data, released at the weekend, show that sectarian conflict remains undiminished - despite Washington's claims of an improvement in the security situation in the Baghdad area - and that different communities are now gravitating apart, creating a de facto partition as Shia Muslims move south and Sunnis to the centre and west of the country. The UNHCR said recently that on average 50,000 Iraqis were now fleeing their homes every month. The trend was confirmed last month by the UN's Geneva-based International Organisation for Migration (IOM), which found that internal displacements had escalated since the al-Qaida bombing of the Shia al-Askari shrine in Samarra in February 2006.

In addition to those who have abandoned their homes but stayed in Iraq, some 2 million Iraqis have now fled the country since the 2003 US invasion, with most now living in neighbouring Syria and Jordan.

I'm sure general Petraeus will report on these success stories to convince congress that we must stay much longer to continue the gains made by the surge.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 10:44 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Walter posted: Quote:

I'm sure general Petraeus will report on these success stories to convince congress that we must stay much longer to continue the gains made by the surge.

General Petraeus will report both the successes and failures. Even if he reports mostly failures, we must stay until we succeed. Failure to prevent Iraq from providing al-Qaeda sanctuary for training future suicidal mass murderers of American non-murderers cannot be tolerated.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 10:48 am
ican, You are one ig..... poster. If you even bother to read the newspaper, you would know that al Qaeda is being removed from Iraq, because of the cooperation from Iraqis. They don't want al Qaeda in their country; they represented only a very small number/percentage of the violence, and they are constantly being reduced. They have no chance for survival in Iraq.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 11:47 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
ican, ... If you even bother to read the newspaper, you would know that al Qaeda is being removed from Iraq, because of the cooperation from Iraqis. They don't want al Qaeda in their country; they represented only a very small number/percentage of the violence, and they are constantly being reduced. They have no chance for survival in Iraq.

Surprised

Oh, how wonderful! Fantastic! You actually acknowledge we are making progress toward success in Iraq. In particular we are making progress toward enabling and encouraging the Iraqi people to stifle the growth of al-Qaeda in Iraq now and in the future.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 11:51 am
ican, That's only one "issue" of many; that doesn't equate to "success" by any stretch of anyone's imagination - except yours. The Sunni and Shias are still at it big time, and the government is non-operational. Iran and Saudi Arabia are involved which makes the internal problems of Iraq more problematic. These issues are some of the more important ones for Iraq.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 12:49 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
ican, That's only one "issue" of many; that doesn't equate to "success" by any stretch of anyone's imagination - except yours. The Sunni and Shias are still at it big time, and the government is non-operational. Iran and Saudi Arabia are involved which makes the internal problems of Iraq more problematic. These issues are some of the more important ones for Iraq.

True, that is only one issue of two. As I posted: You actually acknowledge we are making progress toward success in Iraq.

The second issue is of course how best to help the Iraqi people evolve a government that will secure their civil rights against murderers of any kind from any source. That will take time too.

Remember, we occupied Japan for 7 years, and Germany for more than 7 years after our war with them. We should have sense enough to realize the Iraq post war problem is more difficult and consequently will take more occupation time to solve.

Keep your shirt on! So far we've occupied Iraq only 4 years, 4 months.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 01:04 pm
Don't forget how long we've been in South Korea.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 01:06 pm
okie wrote:

What exactly are you trying to imply?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 02:00 pm
Just adding to ican's point. That should have been obvious.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 03:06 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
okie wrote:

That we are making progress against the Korean insugency?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 03:28 pm
ican wrote ;

Quote:
Remember, we occupied Japan for 7 years, and Germany for more than 7 years after our war with them. We should have sense enough to realize the Iraq post war problem is more difficult and consequently will take more occupation time to solve.

ican , you do realize no doubt , that after germany surrendered in 1945 no war OR war-like action took place in germany .
no allied soldiers died in germany in war-like actions after may 1945 -
in iraq the situation seems to be just slightly different , doesn't it ?
hbg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 03:42 pm
hamburger wrote:
ican wrote ;

Quote:

ican , you do realize no doubt , that after germany surrendered in 1945 no war OR war-like action took place in germany .
no allied soldiers died in germany in war-like actions after may 1945 -
in iraq the situation seems to be just slightly different , doesn't it ?
hbg

The same thing happened in Japan after their surrender. There were no in-fighting amongst the citizens of Japan. MacArthur was the govenor of Japan, and did a yeoman's job of keeping the peace and creating the Japan that transformed into the second largest economy in the world.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2007 03:45 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
okie wrote:

Also,dont forget how long we have been in Kosovo, WITHOUT a declaration of war or permission from the UN or Congress.

Bill Clinton said we would be there a year,at most.
0 Replies