THE US, THE UN AND IRAQ, TENTH THREAD.

ican711nm

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 03:15 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
ican711nm wrote:
Congress will question Petraeus in September just as Congress questioned Petraeus in July.

The people who without providing evidence chant the pseudo-liberal slanderous dirge that the administration's analysis of the situation in Iraq is not to be trusted, are repeatedly announcing they are frauds or fools, and are themselves not to be trusted..

Well, the WH was working to keep this from happening, actually. Several senators had to publicly complain in order to shame the WH into allowing him to testify publicly.

I believe you believe that. But I do not believe that.

Look, Petraeus is often cited as the 'resident expert' on combating guerrilla warfare for the US armed forces. And he probably deserves to be called that. But his own manuals on how to fight such a force, call for far greater troop commitments then we have given the problem, or COULD give the problem, and far longer timelines for success.

There's no doubt that he's going to do the best he can with what he has. But he has nowhere near the conditions that he himself deems necessary for success. So why should anyone actually expect success?

The administrations' analysis isn't to be trusted, because they lie, and have lied, for years, about the state of Iraq. They have continually been wrong in their predictions of political and military progress by the Iraqis. Why should anyone believe them any longer?

I believe you believe that. But I do not believe that.

This administration has been telling us what they believe was/is true. Often what they believed to be true was/is false. The previous administration told us many of the same things this administration believed until shown to be wrong. The Saddam possessed WMD after 1991 allegation is only one example of both administrations believing the same wrong thing.

Until I can read your mind and learn otherwise, I'll continue assuming that you believe the wrong things you say you believe.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 03:17 pm
I'm not as trusting as you are, sorry.

I don't disagree that the last admin lied a bunch as well. That doesn't excuse it now.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 03:51 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I don't disagree that the last admin lied a bunch as well. That doesn't excuse it now.

Cycloptichorn

I do not think the previous administration lied about WMD in Iraq. They believed it just as much as this administration.

However, the previous administration has been proven to have occassionally, knowingly told falsehoods (i.e., lied). :wink:
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 03:53 pm
ican711nm wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

I do not think the previous administration lied about WMD in Iraq. They believed it just as much as this administration.

However, the previous administration has been proven to have occassionally, knowingly told falsehoods (i.e., lied). :wink:

The current administration has also been proven to have occasionally lied. Yet, you trust them. Why?

When it comes to the Iraq war, there's no doubt whatsoever that the admin - and it's various components - have been far less then truthful, to say the least.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 05:31 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

So,do you then disagree with ci?
After all,he doesnt believe the previous admin lied at all,about anything.

Quote:
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 18:57 Post: 2821920 -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Okay, here's a list of 20 Bush lies. Show us 20 lies by other presidents?

http://www.bushlies.net/
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 06:05 pm
Just look at the latest incident with those in administration debating whether to lie to congress about the oil revenue. That tells you a bunch right there.

Quote:
What's more, the same article (in the 30th paragraph) added this gem:

The senior administration official said the process had created "uncomfortable positions" for the White House because of debates over what constitutes "satisfactory progress."

During internal White House discussion of a July interim report, some officials urged the administration to claim progress in policy areas such as legislation to divvy up Iraq's oil revenue, even though no final agreement had been reached. Others argued that such assertions would be disingenuous.

So, when preparing a mandated status report in July, the administration openly considered and discussed the merits of lying to Congress. This apparently made some officials "uncomfortable."

http://www.thecarpetbaggerreport.com/archives/12548.html

I mean anyone who still believes in this administration when it comes to important things like life and death in Iraq and our government; just has willfully buried their head in the sand out of misplaced partsian loyality. I admit I have always been against this administration and was against this war (though not the Afghanistan war) but this administration has made it easy to prove how terrible they are in everything.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 06:41 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
ican711nm wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

The current administration has also been proven to have occasionally lied. Yet, you trust them. Why?

So far as I know, no jury or judge has convicted George Bush or any other member of his administration except Scooter Libby of lying. But a jury/judge did convict Bill Clinton of lying and Sandy Berger of lying and stealing.

When it comes to the Iraq war, there's no doubt whatsoever that the admin - and it's various components - have been far less then truthful, to say the least.

Scooter Libby's lie had nothing to do with the Iraq war.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 07:26 pm
revel wrote:
Just look at the latest incident with those in administration debating whether to lie to congress [DEBATING WHETHER TO LIE TO CONGRESS IS NOT DECIDING TO LIE] about the oil revenue. That tells you a bunch right there.

Quote:

The senior administration official [SENIOR ADMINISTRATION OFFICIAL ?? WHO THE HELL IS THAT ??] said the process had created "uncomfortable positions" for the White House because of debates over what constitutes "satisfactory progress."[DEBATES OVER WHAT CONSTITUTES SATISFACTORY PROGRESS IS NOT LYING AND CERTAINLY IS NOT DEBATING WHETHER OR NOT TO LIE !!]

During internal White House discussion of a July interim report, some officials [SOME OFFICIALS ?? WHO THE HELL ARE THEY ??] urged the administration to claim progress in policy areas such as legislation to divvy up Iraq's oil revenue, even though no final agreement had been reached. Others argued that such assertions would be disingenuous.

So, when preparing a mandated status report in July, the administration openly considered and discussed the merits of lying to Congress. [THEY DEBATED WHAT WAS TRUE AND WHAT WAS FALSE. THAT'S NOT LYING!] This apparently made some officials "uncomfortable."

I mean anyone who still believes in this administration when it comes to important things like life and death in Iraq and our government; just has willfully buried their head in the sand out of misplaced partsian loyality. I admit I have always been against this administration and was against this war (though not the Afghanistan war) but this administration has made it easy to prove how terrible they are in everything.

Tell me please revel, how shall we determine that this "carpetbaggerreport" is not simply more malarkey by Bush-hating-media? How shall we determine that it is not you and people like you who have not "willfully buried their head in the sand out of misplaced partsian loyality?"

I recommend that you reserve your judgment until the actual report comes out. Who or what could that hurt?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 09:36 pm
ican711nm wrote:
revel wrote:
Just look at the latest incident with those in administration debating whether to lie to congress [DEBATING WHETHER TO LIE TO CONGRESS IS NOT DECIDING TO LIE] about the oil revenue. That tells you a bunch right there.

Quote:

The senior administration official [SENIOR ADMINISTRATION OFFICIAL ?? WHO THE HELL IS THAT ??] said the process had created "uncomfortable positions" for the White House because of debates over what constitutes "satisfactory progress."[DEBATES OVER WHAT CONSTITUTES SATISFACTORY PROGRESS IS NOT LYING AND CERTAINLY IS NOT DEBATING WHETHER OR NOT TO LIE !!]

During internal White House discussion of a July interim report, some officials [SOME OFFICIALS ?? WHO THE HELL ARE THEY ??] urged the administration to claim progress in policy areas such as legislation to divvy up Iraq's oil revenue, even though no final agreement had been reached. Others argued that such assertions would be disingenuous.

So, when preparing a mandated status report in July, the administration openly considered and discussed the merits of lying to Congress. [THEY DEBATED WHAT WAS TRUE AND WHAT WAS FALSE. THAT'S NOT LYING!] This apparently made some officials "uncomfortable."

Tell me please revel, how shall we determine that this "carpetbaggerreport" is not simply more malarkey by Bush-hating-media? How shall we determine that it is not you and people like you who have not "willfully buried their head in the sand out of misplaced partsian loyality?"

I recommend that you reserve your judgment until the actual report comes out. Who or what could that hurt?

Ican, that is just a little blimp on a long list of incidents which has proven this administration to be not credible by any rational balanced person. If it was by itself, I would say you are right, there is not enough of any substance to back any statements up.

Cheney's Continued Assertion of an Iraq/al-Qaeda Connection

Quote:
Q: Are you saying that you believe fighting in Iraq has prevented terrorist attacks on American soil? And if so, why, since there has not been a direct connection between al Qaeda and Iraq established?

CHENEY: Well, the fact of the matter is there are connections. Mr. Zarqawi, who was the lead terrorist in Iraq for three years, fled there after we went into Afghanistan. He was there before we ever went into Iraq. The sectarian violence that we see now, in part, has been stimulated by the fact of al Qaeda attacks intended to try to create conflict between Shia and Sunni.

Cheney and Iraq/al Qaeda Connection.

Cheney's statement is a lie. Here's precisely what the Senate Intelligence Committee found:report link

Saddam Hussein attempted, unsuccessfully, to locate and capture al-Zarqawi andÂ…the regime did not have a relationship with, harbor, or turn a blind eye toward Zarqawi. [p. 109]

source

For further reading try readingHere.

It is a comprehensive detailed backed up with links and sources list of all the distortions uttered by the administration and Pentagon in the lead up to the war and early days. There is simply no reason for any sane logical person to trust anything to they have a hand in putting out such as the coming September report. They're the one who will be in charge of framing the debate at congress since they are the ones to write the report to congress. If congress only has access to what the Bush administration tells them, that is all they can ask Perateus at the appointed time. And the administration are known proven liars. So the whole thing is bogus.

So was Clinton, yes we know that; Rolling Eyes but the difference is that Clinton was lying about sexual matters and the Bush administration lies (or distorts however you want to phrase it) about life and death and government matters which any normal person can reasonably see the difference. You guys here in the wee small numbers defending this administration; ain't normal.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 10:17 pm
We're also going to see a different general Petreaus when he appears before congress next month. This administration has transformed him into a parrot too! That's only if he wants to keep his job.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2007 04:01 pm
revel wrote:

Cheney's Continued Assertion of an Iraq/al-Qaeda Connection

Quote:
Q: Are you saying that you believe fighting in Iraq has prevented terrorist attacks on American soil? And if so, why, since there has not been a direct connection between al Qaeda and Iraq established?

I agree that there was not a direct connection between al-Qaeda and Saddam's Iraq established before 9/11. I do not agree that there was not a direct connection between al-Qaeda and Saddam's Iraq established after 9/11, after our invasion of Afghanistan, and before the US invasion of Iraq. I have repeatedly posted the undeniable evidence of the latter statement.

CHENEY: Well, the fact of the matter is there are connections. Mr. Zarqawi, who was the lead terrorist in Iraq for three years, fled there after we went into Afghanistan. He was there before we ever went into Iraq. The sectarian violence that we see now, in part, has been stimulated by the fact of al Qaeda attacks intended to try to create conflict between Shia and Sunni.

I agree with Chenney's statement not because he said it, but because I possess evidence that supports what Chenney said that is independent of what anyone in the Bush administration, including Cheney, has said.

Cheney and Iraq/al Qaeda Connection.

Cheney's statement is a lie. Here's precisely what the Senate Intelligence Committee found:report link

Saddam Hussein attempted, unsuccessfully, to locate and capture al-Zarqawi andÂ…the regime did not have a relationship with, harbor, or turn a blind eye toward Zarqawi. [p. 109]

This statement is about whether or not there was an effort made by Saddam to locate and capture Zarqawi before the US invaded Iraq. I tend to agree with this statement. I think it is probably true. However, this statement has nothing to do with whether or not al-Qaeda was in Iraq before we invaded Iraq. It was! I possess the evidence that supports this as well.

Also this statement has nothing to do with whether after the US invasion of Iraq, the sectarian violence that we see now, in part, has been stimulated by the fact of al Qaeda attacks intended to try to create conflict between Shia and Sunni. It has! I possess the evidence that supports this as well.

Did the US invasion cause al-Qaeda to kill or instigate the killing of their fellow Muslims? No of course not. Al-Qaeda caused al-Qaeda to instigate the killing of their fellow Muslims ... probably to regain their sanctuary in Iraq.

"If you ask me nicely", I shall happily post here again--for the nth time-- any or all the evidence I claimed here that I possess.

source

For further reading try readingHere.

It is a comprehensive detailed backed up with links and sources list of all the distortions uttered by the administration and Pentagon in the lead up to the war and early days. There is simply no reason for any sane logical person to trust anything to they have a hand in putting out such as the coming September report. They're the one who will be in charge of framing the debate at congress since they are the ones to write the report to congress. If congress only has access to what the Bush administration tells them, that is all they can ask Perateus at the appointed time. And the administration are known proven liars. So the whole thing is bogus.

All those links I've encountered make the same outrageous logical errors:

(1) they conclude al-Qaeda was not in Iraq after 9/11 because it was not in Iraq before 9/11;

(2) they conclude al-Qaeda has not contributed to mass murder horrors in Iraq after the US invaded Iraq, because al-Qaeda did not contribute to mass murder horrors in Iraq before we invaded Iraq.

(3) the US invasion caused al-Qaeda to contribute to the mass murder horrors in Iraq after we invaded Iraq.

It amazes me that anyone can be gullible enough to actually believe these logical falacies are true.

{Nancy wears a rain coat every time it rains.
Nancy is wearing a raincoat.
Therefore it is raining ...
and Nancy better damn well take off her raincoat to stop the flooding due to tthe rain her wearing of that raincoat is causing.}

Ridiculous? Sure! And the numbered arguments are just as rediculous!

So was Clinton, yes we know that; Rolling Eyes but the difference is that Clinton was lying about sexual matters and the Bush administration lies (or distorts however you want to phrase it) about life and death and government matters which any normal person can reasonably see the difference. You guys here in the wee small numbers defending this administration; ain't normal.

I do not aspire to that which you apparently consider normal.

Clinton was convicted of lying about sexual matters. Sandi Berger was convicted of stealing matters. Scooter Libby was convicted of memory matters. Except for some subsequently convicted military personnel, no one else in the Bush administration has been convicted of anything.

I've come to the conclusion that those accusing Bush or his administration of lying are themselves either lying or are fools.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2007 07:02 pm
Quote:
Scooter Libby was convicted of memory matters.

Sorry, but Libby was convicted of lying matter. His defense was that his memory was poor. A jury of his peers found this to be untrue. You would do well to remember that he is a man guilty of lying on multiple occasions to federal investigators.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2007 10:46 pm
As I've said all along, we cannot win this war with 140,000 troops. That the generals can't see the damage being done to the Iraqis is galling; they only see "progress" while more Iraqis get killed and maimed.

Iraq body count running at double pace

By STEVEN R. HURST, Associated Press Writer
13 minutes ago

BAGHDAD - This year's U.S. troop buildup has succeeded in bringing violence in Baghdad down from peak levels, but the death toll from sectarian attacks around the country is running nearly double the pace from a year ago.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 06:52 am
Quote:
I've come to the conclusion that those accusing Bush or his administration of lying are themselves either lying or are fools.

I couldn't give a rats behind what conclusion you come to. Morning is short this morning, might get to rest of your post later.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 06:54 am
(might as well stay on this one?)

Iraq body count running at double pace
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 09:24 am
It seems like a forgone conclusion that Petraeus is going to give congress a "progress" report, and to say we must stay longer - as Bush wants him to say.

Angry Iraqi leader lashes out at Clinton

By QASSIM ABDUL-ZAHRA, Associated Press Writer
14 minutes ago

BAGHDAD - Iraq's beleaguered prime minister on Sunday lashed out at Democrats who have called for his ouster, saying Sens. Hillary Rodham Clinton and Carl Levin need to "come to their senses."

Nouri al-Maliki, who is fighting to hold his government together, issued a series of stinging ripostes against a variety of foreign officials who recently have spoken negatively about his leadership. But those directed at Democrats Clinton, of New York, and Levin, of Michigan, were the most strident.

"There are American officials who consider Iraq as if it were one of their villages, for example Hillary Clinton and Carl Levin. They should come to their senses," al-Maliki said at a news conference.

Al-Maliki launched the verbal counteroffensive in the final days before the American commander in Iraq, Gen. David Petraeus, and U.S. Ambassador Ryan Crocker are due in Washington to report to Congress on progress in Iraq since the introduction of 30,000 more America troops.

The Shiite prime minister said a negative report by Petraeus would not cause him to change course, although he said he expected that the U.S. general would "be supportive of the government and will disappoint the politicians who are relying on it" to be negative.

Al-Maliki appeared stung by the recent series of critical statements about his government, including one from President Bush, who said he was frustrated that al-Maliki had failed to make progress on political benchmarks. Crocker has said the lack of movement had been "highly disappointing," and both Levin and Clinton have called for al-Maliki's ouster.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., said Sunday that al-Maliki's government "is still pretty much a disaster" despite some progress made.

"It's a democratically elected government, and I don't think we can dictate to them," McConnell said. Nonetheless, McConnell said, senators from both parties agree the Shiite prime minister has been "a huge disappointment."

Based on the sacrifices of U.S. troops, Sen. Jack Reed, D-R.I., agreed that the U.S. government should demand more.

"I think we have a right to be critical of a government that is not doing what a government must do: protect its own people, make difficult decisions that in the long run provide for the safety and security of the Iraqi people," Reed said. "I think the criticism is fair."

McConnell and Reed spoke on "Fox News Sunday."

Last week Sen. John Warner, R-Va.,said the United States should order a token withdrawal of forces by Christmas. The former chairman of the Armed Services Committee said such a move would show al-Maliki that Washington was serious about progress on reconciliation among the country's religious sects and ethnic groups.

Warner and Levin traveled to Iraq together earlier this month as part of the multitude of congressional delegations who are visiting the country before the expected heated debate on Capitol Hill about U.S. troop levels and plans for a withdrawal.

Separately, a Kurdish security official said a U.S. helicopter attacked two Kurdish police outposts on Sunday, killing four policemen and wounding eight. The U.S. military said it was investigating the report.

Jabar Yawer, spokesman for the Kurdish Peshmerga militia, said two police vehicles also were destroyed in the airstrike 65 miles northeast of Baghdad and he believed the attack was mistaken friendly fire.

"We demand American troops to give an explanation for the U.S. airstrike against a police station," the Kurdish Interior Minister said in a statement. "The U.S. troops should take care to understand what troops are deployed in the border areas."

Al-Maliki also criticized some U.S. military actions.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 12:29 pm
In response to This Post

Ican:
Quote:
I agree that there was not a direct connection between al-Qaeda and Saddam's Iraq established before 9/11. I do not agree that there was not a direct connection between al-Qaeda and Saddam's Iraq established after 9/11, after our invasion of Afghanistan, and before the US invasion of Iraq. I have repeatedly posted the undeniable evidence of the latter statement.

First off the whole reason I posted the difference between what various officials from the administration claim concerning Iraq and what actual intelligence reports says was to prove that the administration was unreliable to tell the truth when it comes Iraq. From the beginning they have distorted the truth to fit the perception they want the American public to have with anything concerning Iraq. I and others could go on for days showing what the various officials of the administration have said and what the actual intelligence or other news reports from news reporters have said. Every time it turns out the administration was wrong and opposing view was right so we have no reason to continue trusting them so we have reason to trust the coming September Iraq report to congress.

Having said that; you have not posted any undeniable evidence of your claims. You have posted odd bits from mouth pieces of the administration such as Tommy Franks.

On the other hand I and others have posted subsequent from the invasion intelligence reports which totally contradict your claims.

But here is another one.

Quote:
A two-page resume of the report was published in February, but on Friday (local time) the Pentagon declassified the whole 120-page document.

According to the inspector general of the US Defense Department, information obtained after Saddam's fall confirmed the pre-war position of the Central Intelligence Agency and Pentagon intelligence that the Iraqi Government had had no substantial contacts with Al Qaeda.

This position was shored up by interrogations of Saddam, the former Iraqi president and other top officials captured by the US-led coalition forces in Iraq, the report said.

source

Note; "had no substantial contacts with Al Qaeda." It didn't say prior to 9/11 Saddam didn't have any substantial contacts with Al Qaeda but later before the invasion did. It said, "Had no substantial contacts with Al-Qaeda."

Ican:
Quote:
I agree with Chenney's statement not because he said it, but because I possess evidence that supports what Chenney said that is independent of what anyone in the Bush administration, including Cheney, has said.

Again, Saddam did not have any connections with Mr. Zarqawi, in fact he even tried to have him captured as the intelligence report said. So Cheney told a lie because he had to have been aware of the intelligence and just ignored it and you wrong as well for agreeing with him.

Ican:
Quote:
This statement is about whether or not there was an effort made by Saddam to locate and capture Zarqawi before the US invaded Iraq. I tend to agree with this statement. I think it is probably true. However, this statement has nothing to do with whether or not al-Qaeda was in Iraq before we invaded Iraq. It was! I possess the evidence that supports this as well.

So what? Al Qaeda is everywhere but we don't invade. The fact is that Saddam was not connected with Al Qaeda so on that basis we have no justification in invading Iraq to unseat Saddam Hussein.

Ican:
Quote:
Also this statement has nothing to do with whether after the US invasion of Iraq, the sectarian violence that we see now, in part, has been stimulated by the fact of al Qaeda attacks intended to try to create conflict between Shia and Sunni. It has! I possess the evidence that supports this as well.

Since foreign Al Qaeda only represents a very small fraction of the insurgency this statement is not accurate because the violence between the Shia and Suni is just too widespread and entrenched and still continues to this day despite the Suni breaking with Al Qaeda. It's too simplified and explanation like everything else coming from the administration

The insurgence simply didn't want the US to be in Iraq and since they are Sunni and in the minority they didn't like the Shiites having that much control of the Government. Plus; the Shia and the Sunni have never gotten along; Saddam just kept a tight lid on it all this time.

Ican wrote:
Quote:
Did the US invasion cause al-Qaeda to kill or instigate the killing of their fellow Muslims? No of course not. Al-Qaeda caused al-Qaeda to instigate the killing of their fellow Muslims ... probably to regain their sanctuary in Iraq.

"If you ask me nicely", I shall happily post here again--for the nth time-- any or all the evidence I claimed here that I possess.

Since Shia and Sunis were not killing each other before the invasion; removing Saddam from power had the effect of putting the Suni and Shia against each other for reasons already stated in this post.

And no; I have no desire wade through already debunked evidence for uptenth time. Likewise I'll spare you my past evidence since it already has been posted for as many times.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 01:01 pm
my favourite reporter from iraq is MICHAEL WARE of CNN .
i was glad to catch his report from iraq again today .
he seems to be able to access authorative sources in the iraqi leadership - both in and outside the government , the top brass of the U.S. military in iraq and is also able talk to many of the (so-called) insurgent leaders .
imo he probably gives the most authoritative and well developed reports from iraq .
unfortunately , his reports are not very upbeat at all .
read and judge for yourself !
hbg

Quote:
BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Nightmarish political realities in Baghdad are prompting American officials to curb their vision for democracy in Iraq. Instead, the officials now say they are willing to settle for a government that functions and can bring security.

But for the first time, exasperated front-line U.S. generals talk openly of non-democratic governmental alternatives, and while the two top U.S. officials in Iraq still talk about preserving the country's nascent democratic institutions, they say their ambitions aren't as "lofty" as they once had been.

"Democratic institutions are not necessarily the way ahead in the long-term future," said Brig. Gen. John "Mick" Bednarek, part of Task Force Lightning in Diyala province, one of the war's major battlegrounds.

The comments reflect a practicality common among Western diplomats and officials trying to win hearts and minds in the Middle East and other non-Western countries where democracy isn't a tradition.

The failure of Iraq to emerge from widespread instability is a bitter pill for the United States, which optimistically toppled the Saddam Hussein regime more than four years ago. Millions of Iraqis went to the polls to cast ballots, something that generated great promise for the establishment of a democratic system.

But Iraqi institutions, from the infrastructure to the national government, are widely regarded as ineffective in the fifth year of the war.

U.S. Ambassador to Iraq Ryan Crocker and Gen. David Petraeus, the top American commander in Iraq, declined to be interviewed for this story, but they issued a joint statement to CNN that reiterated that the country's "fundamental democratic framework is in place" and that "the development of democratic institutions is being encouraged."

And, they said, they are helping Iraqi political leaders find ways "to share power and achieve legislative progress."

But Crocker and Petraeus conceded they are "now engaged in pursuing less lofty and ambitious goals than was the case at the outset."

Maj. Gen. Benjamin Mixon, commander of Task Force Lightning, also reflected a less lofty American goal for Iraq's future.

"I would describe it as leaving an effective government behind that can provide services to its people, and security. It needs to be an effective and functioning government that is really a partner with the United States and the rest of the world in this fight against the terrorists," said Mixon, who will not be perturbed if such goals are reached without democracy.

"Well, see that all over the Middle East," he said, stating that democracy is merely an option, that Iraqis are free to choose or reject.

"But that is the $50,000 question. ... What will this government look like? Will it be a democracy? Will it not?" he asked.

Soldiers, he said, are fighting for security, a goal Mixon described as "core to my mission."

But security is far from complete in Iraq, where the government seems dysfunctional and paralyzed.

Seventeen of the 37 Iraqi Cabinet ministers either boycott or don't attend Cabinet meetings. Parliament, now on a much-criticized month-long summer break, has yet to pass key legislation in the areas of energy resource sharing and the future roles of former members of Hussein's Baath Party. U.S. officials, including President Bush, have said there is frustration with efforts by the government of Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki to promote political reconciliation.

The government is unable to supply regular electricity and at times running water in the capital.

The health care system is run by one Iranian-backed militia and the national police are dominated by another. Death squads terrorize Sunni neighborhoods.

Sectarian cleansing is pushing people into segregated enclaves, protected by Shiite or U.S.-backed Sunni militias, and spurring the flight of thousands to neighboring countries.

Thousands of innocents are dying violently every month in cities and villages across the country.

Iraqi government officials concede things aren't working, but they say that's because the United States doesn't allow Iraq to really control its own destiny.

While the Iraqi government commands its own troops, it cannot send them into battle without U.S. agreement. Iraqi Special Forces answer only to U.S. officers.

"We don't have full sovereignty," said Hadi al-Amri, the chairman of parliament's Defense and Security Committee. "We don't have sovereignty over our troops, we don't have sovereignty over our provinces. We admit it."

And because of the very real prospect of Iranian infiltration, the government doesn't fund or control its own intelligence service. It's paid for and run by the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency.

Abdul Qarim al-Enzi, director of the parliamentary ethics committee, asks whether it is "reasonable for a country given sovereignty by the international community to have a chief of intelligence appointed by another country."

One senior U.S. official in Baghdad told CNN that "any country with 160,000 foreigners fighting for it sacrifices some sovereignty."

The U.S. government has long cautioned that a fully functioning democracy would be slow to emerge in Iraq. But with key U.S. senators calling for al-Maliki's removal, some senior U.S. military commanders even suggest privately the entire Iraqi government must be removed by "constitutional or non-constitutional" means and replaced with a stable, secure, but not necessarily democratic entity.

SOURCE :
MICHAEL WARE REPORTS FROM IRAQ
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 03:20 pm
revel wrote:
In response to This Post

I infer from your post that you:

(1) do not believe al-Qaeda had obtained sanctuary in Iraq in December 2001 and grew substantially thereafter before the US invaded Iraq;

(2) do not believe al-Qaeda is primarily responsible for the mass murder of non- murderers in Iraq;

(3) believe the monthly mass murder that has been occurring in Iraq since say July 1, 2006 to June 30, 2007 is about the same as for the average year Saddam's administration governed Iraq;

(4) believe the news media provide more accurate information about what is actually happening in Iraq than does the Bush administration.;

(5) believe all the evidence I have repeatedly provided that contradicts the above is not valid.

I assume you will not believe the following either:

Saddam's mass murder of Iraqis during Clinton's 8 year term:

2000 23,265
1999 45,437
1998 65,731
1997 89,453
1996 107,667
1995 96,472
1994 87,940
1993 53,951 ..... avg/yr ..... avg/month
total 569,916 ... 56,992 ..... 4,749

Al-Qaeda etc. mass murder of Iraqis during the year July 2006 to June 2007 of Bush's term (worst Bush year so far):

July 2006 2,336
Aug. 2006 1,195
Sep. 2006 1,407
Oct. 2006 2,546
Nov. 2006 3,894
Dec. 2006 3,219
Jan. 2007 2,557
Feb. 2007 2,514
Mar. 2007 2,720
Apr. 2007 2,359
May. 2007 3,755
June. 2007 2,386 ..... avg./month
total......... 30,888 .... 2,574
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 05:15 pm
re. ICAN'S report on iraqi deaths .
-----------------------------------------
since the body count is a very exact one (example : 1993 - 53,951 , not approximately 53,900 or 53,950 ) someone must have had a very fine toothcomb to come up with those numbers .
since no source is specified , we are being asked to accept those numbers at face value .

the wall street journal published rather different numbers in october 2006 .
they are certainly NOT as precise and perhaps even have a slightly different base , but at least the source is given .

a/t their report appr. 600,000 iraqis died from march 2003 to 2006 from violent causes .
they further state that a/t human rights watch appr. 250,000 to 290,000 iraqis died during the 20 year rule under SH.

as i said , the WSJ count is not as exact , so perhaps whoever has the background information for ican's numbers has a complete list of the people that died from which the numbers were compiled .
i am wondering if the WSJ would be interested in receiving the background information about the exact body count cited by ican .
it should probably be relatively easy to provide those details - someone must have established those counts - but who ?
hbg

source :
WSJ - IRAQ DEATH COUNT
0 Replies