mysteryman

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 05:06 pm
Debra_Law wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
Since we have a voting process, a process in which laws are enacted, etc., and if everyone were to abide by that process, i.e. vote your conscience, why is it so hard for some people to just let it be that? When anyone votes for anything can't it be said in some way someone is trying to impose their will onto others?

We don't live in a country that was founded upon pure democratic values. Tyranny by majority vote is still tyranny. Our founders established a republican form of government that limits the power of the government to deny or disparage individual liberty or to unreasonably intrude into the private lives of individuals.

Thats true,we live in a representative republkic.
We vote for our representatives,and they make laws and policies,supposedely with the consent of the people.

That being the case,when were our elected representatives ever allowed to vote on abortion?
Who made the law?
Whose job is it to make laws?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 05:19 pm
South Dakota news blurb

South Dakota Senate passes abortion ban

Bill designed to prompt Roe v. Wade challenge moves toward enactment

Updated: 8:26 p.m. ET Feb. 22, 2006
PIERRE, S.D. - Legislation meant to prompt a national legal battle targeting Roe v. Wade, the 1973 Supreme Court decision legalizing abortion, was approved Wednesday by the South Dakota Senate, moving the bill a step closer to final passage.

The measure, which would ban nearly all abortions in the state, now returns to the House, which passed a different version earlier. The House must decide whether to accept changes made by the Senate, which passed its version 23-12....

We won't have to wait long for this much anticipated show.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 05:23 pm
Lash wrote:
South Dakota news blurb

South Dakota Senate passes abortion ban

Bill designed to prompt Roe v. Wade challenge moves toward enactment

We won't have to wait long for this much anticipated show.

nope. didn't take 'em long, did it ?
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 05:57 pm
DTOM,

You didn't think it would did you??

Now all we need to do is get all the pro-lifers on a ready to adopt list so that we can start assigning them the babies that result from the defeat of Roe Vs. Wade!

Anon
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 06:01 pm
Anon-Voter wrote:
DTOM,

You didn't think it would did you??

Now all we need to do is get all the pro-lifers on a ready to adopt list so that we can start assigning them the babies that result from the defeat of Roe Vs. Wade!

Anon

Why are you so sure that it will be defeated?
Even if the USSC overturns Roe v Wade,that will not end abortion.
All it will do is move it back to the state level,where it should have been in the first place.
Each state will then vote on it,and the voters will speak.
Some states will outlaw it,some will restrict it,and some will allow it and make all abortions legal.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 06:41 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Debra_Law wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
Since we have a voting process, a process in which laws are enacted, etc., and if everyone were to abide by that process, i.e. vote your conscience, why is it so hard for some people to just let it be that? When anyone votes for anything can't it be said in some way someone is trying to impose their will onto others?

We don't live in a country that was founded upon pure democratic values. Tyranny by majority vote is still tyranny. Our founders established a republican form of government that limits the power of the government to deny or disparage individual liberty or to unreasonably intrude into the private lives of individuals.

We vote for our representatives,and they make laws and policies,supposedely with the consent of the people.

That being the case,when were our elected representatives ever allowed to vote on abortion?
Who made the law?

This is very silly, mysteryman. Your inquiry is like asking when your elected representatives will be allowed to vote on mixed-race marriages.

Even though the legislative branch is endowed with the power to make laws, that power has limits. Laws that deny or disparage individual rights are subject to scrutiny. If a state legislature fails to adhere to the constitutional limits placed on its powers, then it is the job of our courts to strike down state laws that unreasonably disparage individual rights in violation of the Constitution.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 09:19 pm
Debra_Law wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Debra_Law wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:

Who made the law?

This is very silly, mysteryman. Your inquiry is like asking when your elected representatives will be allowed to vote on mixed-race marriages.

Even though the legislative branch is endowed with the power to make laws, that power has limits. Laws that deny or disparage individual rights are subject to scrutiny. If a state legislature fails to adhere to the constitutional limits placed on its powers, then it is the job of our courts to strike down state laws that unreasonably disparage individual rights in violation of the Constitution.

Of course the rub lies in whether or not the legislature has actually failed to adhere to the constitutional limits placed on its powers.

Since that question gets to be answered by the Judiciary, the judicial philosophy of judges is of paramount importance.

If one is devoted to a democratic system (whether pure or republican) then it follows that one would prefer judges who give the greatest latitude to the legislature to express the will of the people.

There are limits to the powers of the legislature, and rightly so, but do we want those limitations to serve as defensive backstops, or intrusive players?

The judiciary has the ultimate final say on policy and therefore it should have no role in establishing policy. Activist judges (whether liberal or conservative) are a travesty in our system of government.

It is perfectly understandable how minorities might look to the Courts to advance their interests, but this a perversion of the system. The Judiciary protects, not advances, the interests of minorities.

At the same time, not all interests of all minorities are worthy of protection. There is nothing sacred about being in the minority, in fact our system of government is based upon the notion that more times than not the majority gets it right. A Judiciary that consistently counters the will of the majority to protect or advance the interests of minorities, makes a mockery of democracy.

Every time the Judiciary intervenes on behalf of a minority, friction with the majority is created. Without question there are times where the majority must be reigned in, and in those times, the Courts play an essential role, but judges must be circumspect about when they decide to intervene. It is not about what they personally may believe is right or wrong, moral or immoral, beneficial or detrimental to American society. It is about what is legal or illegal.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 09:50 am
And I'm finally getting back to responding to DTOM:

I said (after DTOM suggested my argument was based on religious faith)
Quote:
And here you build another strawman for in no place in my argument did I express religious faith or a 'go forth and multiply' mentality as any basis for my views on this subject, nor did I in any way even suggest that anyone be bound by the guidelines of my (or anybody else's) faith.

DTOM responded
Quote:
you have in fact expressed your faith on several occasions in the past. so no, no herring and straw salad here. additionally, if you are a supporter of the pro-life agenda, you are indeed forcing your view of things onto those who do not share it.

since the pro-life movement constantly complains about the "secularist", as opposed to "sectarian", pro-choice proponents, it is only logical to consider that the vast majority of those leading and following the pro-life agenda are of a religious stripe.

a quick scan of the pro-life movement's leaders and backers will confirm that this is not a frivolous comment. perhaps not all anti-abortion people are very religious, but the secularists are certainly of a quite small percentage.

Perhaps not frivolous in your view, but a straw man nevertheless since I at no time have argued the prolife view from a religious perspective. I discuss my religious faith in threads in which the topic is religious faith. I think when you attempt to take it out of the context in which it was intended and put it into a religious perspective in order to discredit it, that is indeed a strawman argument however gently you do so. Smile

My opinion is that an unborn baby is a human life. Others' opinions, and perhaps yours, are that it is not. If I say it is and you say it is not, how am I "forcing my view of things" on you any more than you are "forcing your view of things" on me? The way your comment reads is that only the proabortionists can have a noncoercive opinion.

I then said
Quote:
Or are you one of those who thinks that only the religious have moral values? Or that only people of faith express them? Or that people of faith can't express them because if they do they cram their religious faith down everybody else's throat?

to which DTOM responded
Quote:
nope. i don't think that being religious is the only source of morality by a long stretch. it's actually the various established religions that proclaim themselves as the fount of all morality. and even they can't agree on what 'tis and what t'ain't. regard the current uproar in the episcopal church.

if a "person of faith" insists that people follow the rules of their religion whether they share that faith or no, then yes, it is cramming it down the throats of others.

does "teaching intelligent design in a science class" ring a bell ? wanna teach it in a comparitive religions or philosophy class, be my guest. but intelligent design is not science.
how about mandatory prayer in school ? i have no problem with "a moment of silent meditation", btw. worked just fine when i was in school. so what's changed ?

"being gay is a sin. no marriage for gays, says the bible". sound familiar ?

that's just a few instances where i feel, yes, some people of faith seek to force their beliefs on the public at large. and in some cases, doing it with public taxes via the "faith based initiatives". which, btw, are a new phenomenon put in place by george w. bush; the president who you denied is a religious zealot. considering that churches pay no taxes, i'd say that there's already a fair amount of cash available to them to perform good works.

So your quarrel is actually with the religious rather than the prolifers? This is the way it appears when you bring in all these other unrelated things. My argument has clearly been that you do not have to be religious to have moral values. And I have consistently argued the abortion issue based on universal values, not just religious ones. And again, all the other issues you're bringing up here are just strawman arguments dodging the specific issue being debated.

Yes, the religious sometimes have, profess, and promote a particular point of view on various issues. But laws prevent not-for-profit religious groups (churches) from engaging in politics. Individual people who are religious, however, will frequently take a position on various issues. As citizens of this country they have this silly notion that it is their unalienable right to do so. They may even band together into a secular organization that will lobby or petition their government to consider or enact legislation that they believe to be good legislation.* And you know what? So do nonreligious, atheists, environmentalists, PACs, etc. etc. etc. do the exact same thing.

The difference is, that if it is the nonreligious doing it, you seem to think that's okay. But if a person also has a religious faith, they are "forcing their beliefs on the public at large". Well, anybody who wants a particular law passed for anything is sort of doing that don't you think? And in our system of government, the majority, whether by referendum or via elected representatives, the majority ultimately prevails.

You know I love you dearly, DTOM, and have the utmost respect and appreciation for you. We are even sometimes on the same side of the page. But here your remarks sort of smack of prejudice and intolerance or at the very least appear to be irrational stereotyping. And again, that just isn't like you.

(*Disclaimer: I in no way believe all religious operate in lockstep. There are conservative religious and liberal religious and more often than not people of faith will take opposing views on just about any issue anybody wants to bring up.).

DTOM Said
Quote:
wwwhhhhaaatttttttt ???? go back and re-read quotes of your comments. on top of everything else, you tell us that you became pregnant while on a birth control program. you chose to have the children. and i commend you for that. yet you don't seem to see any real situation in which another person would make the inverse choice acceptable.

by proxy, you are indeed saying "don't do the crime if ya can't do the time
Quote:
Do you know any pro lifers who think abortion for any reason or at any time should be outlawed? I suppose there may be some out there, but I've never met one.

DTOM responded
Quote:
i'm not a big fan of third trimester abortion. nor do i like partial birth.

i have never made a secret of my belief that "with choice comes responsibility". a woman should be informed and able to make a decision to continue or terminate a pregnancy long before the third trimester.

does that answer your question ?

No, you didn't even address my question.

And in response to my discussion of when the forming baby becomes a human being, DTOM responded
Quote:
"clumps of cells" ? that is the one thing that is known about it. truth is, even post partum, we are all just clumps of cells. just a bigger clump. that is science.

the pro-lifers would probably be more accurate if their argument centered around "when does a soul enter the clump of cells". . . .and for my further edification, could you tell me, with the certainty of science backing your assertion; "at what point in your graph does a soul become manifest?".

See, here again you return to the religious issue which I did not raise at all. But you vehemently protested when I suggested you are fixated on religion. Smile

On the South Dakota issues, if you will read what I said earlier when this first came up, you will see that I thought their bill was way too extreme and thought that was unfortunate. I don't think Roe v Wade is all that bad a ruling; however, I would prefer that the states or even the local communities be able to decide the abortion issue.

Finn's recent post is brilliant in why rulings like Roe v Wade are often not the way to go and actually usurp the principle of a democratic republic.

I do understand the proabortion position and I have all the compassion in the world for those who are forced into abortion for those reasons where it is absolutely necessary. It is especially heartbreaking for those who so very much wanted the child. But for me, ending the life of a perfectly healthy baby purely for the convenience of the adults is not what America is all about.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 09:57 am
FF, 1) You obviously do not know what a strawman argument is 2) If you find abortion wrong, don't have one so 3) Leave the rest of us alone.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 09:59 am
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 10:02 am
Roxxanne wrote
Quote:
FF, 1) You obviously do not know what a strawman argument is 2) If you find abortion wrong, don't have one so 3) Leave the rest of us alone.

Roxxanne,

1) I obviously know what a strawman is more than you do.

2) if your new baby is an unacceptable burden, and you think it is wrong to kill it, don't.

3) Leave the rest of us alone.

(And before somebody takes this out of context as my point of view, I will point out that this is exaggeration for effect.)
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 10:50 am
Foxfyre's contention that this issue should be handled by the states or local communities is so wrong-headed, it makes some of George Bush's decisions look good by comparison.

But I am sure Foxfyre would be arguing that same way on the slavery issue if it were still before us.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 10:54 am
Sorry Frank, but I highly doubt Foxfyre would be arguing the same way about slavery. Why do people keep trying to equate slavery with the abortin issue? That's not just apples and organes, it's friggin watermelon and strawberries. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 10:54 am
Note that Frank has chimed in twice now, once on his thread and once here and both times apparently just to take a potshot at me. And in both cases you have a perfect illustration of a backhanded strawman argument. Smile

Roxxanne, take notes.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 11:52 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Note that Frank has chimed in twice now, once on his thread and once here and both times apparently just to take a potshot at me. And in both cases you have a perfect illustration of a backhanded strawman argument. Smile

Roxxanne, take notes.

No backhand...no strawman. Just calling your silly argument a silly argument.

But since you realize that your argument is silly...and that my illustration of its silliness is unassailable...you try to avoid it with this further nonsense.

Nothing has changed.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 12:06 pm
For the record, Frank thinks I am morally corrupt, intellectually bankrupt, intent on depriving women (or anybody else) of all their rights, brainwashed in silly religious superstition, and pathetic among other equally unattractive adjectives. If you go back to our past encounters, you will find all these attributes, phrased in one way or another, assigned to me by him.

So now that we have that out of the way, and I acknowledge every single insult, perhaps we have no need to disrupt this thread by repeating this form of debate. I for one will not engage further in it.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 01:34 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
For the record, Frank thinks I am morally corrupt, intellectually bankrupt, intent on depriving women (or anybody else) of all their rights, brainwashed in silly religious superstition, and pathetic among other equally unattractive adjectives.

Wow Frank! I always knew you were good at evaluating people!!

Anon
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 02:45 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Sorry Frank, but I highly doubt Foxfyre would be arguing the same way about slavery. Why do people keep trying to equate slavery with the abortin issue? That's not just apples and organes, it's friggin watermelon and strawberries. Rolling Eyes

No, MA...the question of whether states should decide questions of great moment is a legitimate issue...and both slavery and abortion rights are questions of great moment. They properly ought be decided on a national level...and the argument that it ought be decided by states is simply a way of trying to circumvent the fact that a woman SHOULD HAVE THE RIGHT TO TERMINATE A PREGNANCY OCCURRING IN HER OWN BODY SHOULD SHE CHOOSE TO DO SO.

And watch your mouth. There are kids here! :wink:
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 02:47 pm
Anon-Voter wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
For the record, Frank thinks I am morally corrupt, intellectually bankrupt, intent on depriving women (or anybody else) of all their rights, brainwashed in silly religious superstition, and pathetic among other equally unattractive adjectives.

Wow Frank! I always knew you were good at evaluating people!!

Anon

If it waddles, quacks, and enjoys floating on water...

...it is a duck!

Some evaluations are easier than others.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 03:15 pm
Frank's baaaaaaack!!

Very Happy

Nice to see your smiling face again. Hope life's been good to ya.
0 Replies