Men and Women ~ Can They Be JUST Friends?

the prince

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 03:20 am
I was just reading a very interesting article in the Sunday Times abt this. In a nutshell, the author said that platonic relationships are very difficult to maintain between people of opposite sex, as sexual fantasies/tensions invariably come into play - consciously or sub consciously - something abt our primal desires to mate with the opposite sex.

Some of my best friends are females - but the above is not true in my case, my primal desires are errr....ummm...somewhat different Laughing
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 05:12 am
with slappy here, can skwerl and the ese be far behind?

at least if skwerl's here, certain persons will stop asking if i'm him Mad
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 05:27 am
Phoenix:

Good point! Cool
0 Replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 06:26 am
"Can they be JUST Friends?" you ask. Hmm...I suppose it depends on your definition of "Friends."
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 06:31 am
Women may want to be "just friends", but do men? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 07:28 am
friends are pretty dammed important - why are we saying"just" anyway?
0 Replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 08:11 am
New Haven wrote:
Women may want to be "just friends", but do men? Rolling Eyes

Like I said, it depends on what is meant by "friends."
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 09:19 am
Psst, welcome Slappy!

I understand you're from Bruges, Belgium. And your stepmother has webbed feet. And something about shaving intimate areas. Hmmm....
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 09:35 am
That is correct. And sometimes, my father would accuse chestnuts of being lazy.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 09:57 am
So, my question is: why do sexual tensions mean a guy and a girl aren't friends? I've had plenty of male friends, at times more male than female friends. Sometimes there's sexual tension one way or another, but that hasn't broken up many friendships. And, usually, as time marches on, the tensions subside.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 10:01 am
Great point, littlek. Tension doesn't negate friendship.

I've had both happen; tension dissolving, tension getting worse to the point where "just" friendship isn't acceptable. That's the kind I hate.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 10:04 am
Yep, the second is harder.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 10:16 am
Based on my experience, the male-female platonic friendship is a lot easier to achieve once one is a bit older. When I was young, it always seeme to be: Hey, we get along well, why don't we sleep together? Seemed like a logical question.

Now that the hormones have, ahem, abated somewhat, it's not such a burning issue. Still comes up, but reason usually prevails before the friendship is threatened...
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 10:24 am
Well, D'artagnan, I found out - when I was younger ;-) - that sleeping with a 'friend' didn't necessarily mean the end of the friendship. It was just like 'Ok, we did this, it was nice, now I know you even better'.

Of course, this does not go for all relationships.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 10:59 am
Agreed urs53, and some of my best friends right now are ex-girl friends. In fact, I've lately opined that the best part of a romance is having a new friend after the break-up!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 11:21 am
That never worked for me...I don't speak with any girls I've gone out with anymore. Not always bad break ups, but the "friend" thing just doesn't pan out.

Maybe it's because they've all moved far, far, away, after dating me?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 11:37 am
Yeah, I can't quite imagine being too friendly with exes. I have some friends who used to be in the tension-convention category, but they (or I, or both) got over it without anything happening.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 12:31 pm
One of them has to be ugly or gay.
0 Replies

snoopie72

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 12:43 pm
Hey everyone... I think a lot fo this depends on the place you're at in your life. For instance in college I was dating this guy who was very good friend with a female friend from HS. At first I was cool with this but once they got in a fight and she was pretty awful to him. They didn't talk for a while and later tried to renew their friendship. I said I thought it was a bad idea based on the fact that she had treated him so poorly but I am sure much more of my feelings came out of insecurity. Through this same time in my life I had a very good male friend and our friendship was complicated as we both had feelings for each other that we wouldn't voice and I was too scared to leave the safe sure thing boyfriend and take a chance on this guy. Needless to say I was scared I would cheat on my boyfriend and broke off my friendship which I regret to this day. I've tried to get in touch with this guy many times and he doesn't seem responsive to rekindling our friendship. I think at this point in my lfie (19 yo to early 20's) I just wasn't capable of handling this. Later on in life I had many guy friends. Many of these friendhips have faded as I moved away but I really miss them. They were a great group. They were very chivalrous never letting me pay for anything and always making sure I got home ok. They were very protective and a ton more fun than most of the girls I knew.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 09:30 pm
I'm friends witha couple exes, most have faded out of my life. One I want to kill still.
0 Replies