Student suspended for speaking Spanish in school hallway

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 01:56 pm
parados wrote:

There are no rules Walter. It is made up garbage being spouted by those that feel English should be the official language of the US.

But in none of those countries, which have 'official languages' it is forbidden to talk in a different one! And even totalitarian staes like the USSR didn't act such - I know quite a few German teacher who live and taught there years back.
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 01:59 pm
that's a fine line saying that his first amendment rights were violated. But, lawers need to grasp any straw they can to keep employed. What scares me more is that if it does get to a jury more than likely there will be 12 village idiots sitting there.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 02:04 pm
Walter, in any civilized country teachers are very pleased to have multi-lingual students in their classes and to hear languages other than the local vernacular being spoken in the halls. But we're talking about the good ole USofA here.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 02:06 pm
I know, Andrew. But still I'm more than surprised to hear a teacher saying such things like Sturgis did.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 02:09 pm
I think Sturgis is really from Kansas, not New York or Vermont, as he claims. Smile
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 02:24 pm
What aggravates me the most is, that some states couldn't
be further apart from progress than a third world country,
yet as a nation, all other states have to bear the brunt.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 02:29 pm
You don't like Kansas, CJ, do you? Laughing
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 02:52 pm
ralpheb wrote:
that's a fine line saying that his first amendment rights were violated. But, lawers need to grasp any straw they can to keep employed. What scares me more is that if it does get to a jury more than likely there will be 12 village idiots sitting there.

Maybe so, but an attorney challenging a clear and blatant violation of this students First Amendment rights can hardly be considered "grasping at straws."

Of all the rights we have in this country, the First Amendment holds a special place. It is never taken lightly.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 02:55 pm
I was wonderfully amused by the assumption that a jury might reasonably be assumed to be composed of twelve "village idiots." The jury pool is assembled by reference to the voter registration rolls. One can assume, reasonably, that Ralph considers the electorate to be predominately idiots . . .
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 03:00 pm
Francis wrote:
You don't like Kansas, CJ, do you? Laughing

I've never been there Francis. When I moved from NYC to
southern CA, I knew that living inbetween coasts would be a bad idea Wink
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 03:09 pm
Beautiful day in So.cal from this side of the coast Calamity.

back to topic, sorry
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 03:11 pm
Francis, you should know that CL spoke two languages fluently at school, both privately as well as during classes: Bavarian and German. (Although it isn't formally forbidden to speak German in Bavarian schools, it's not really liked there.)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 03:16 pm
Yes Francis, and you also should know that Walter is just
miffed he can't understand one of the two languages Laughing

Amigo, psssst, otherwise they all move out here.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 03:20 pm
There are a great many of us who have never lived in California and have no desire to do so, who justifiably resent idiotic statements such as Calamity's stupid and ignorant prejudice toward the center of the country leads her to make.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 03:21 pm
I knew that already, Walter.

But now it makes me think from where the French word "Baver" comes... :wink:

I'm ready to go to California but only if CJ fosters me...
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 03:34 pm
Setanta wrote:
There are a great many of us who have never lived in California and have no desire to do so, who justifiably resent idiotic statements such as Calamity's stupid and ignorant prejudice toward the center of the country leads her to make.

No, I've driven through the center of the country, plus I see the
policitcal and religious statements of those who are living in the center
of the country, and it might seem stupid too you (that's your prerogative)
but it's neither prejudice nor ignorant - it's the fact. You can read
many such statements even here at a2k.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 03:35 pm
Francis wrote:

I'm ready to go to California but only if CJ fosters me...

It depends on your qualifications Wink
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 03:36 pm
ralpheb wrote:

I know George Bush had been called for jury duty. Who else?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 03:41 pm
It is both prejudice and stupidity. I take it you did not, when driving through the center of the nation and aquiring your vast and profound knowledge thereof, drive past the homes of the Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago or St. Louis symphony orchestras. Apparently, you missed the Field Museum, the Acquarium and the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, as well as one the world's best collection of art at the St. Louis Museum of Fine Art. I suspect you just failed to drive past the dozens of schools of art and design and the hundreds of world class universities and liberal arts colleges which lie between the two mountain ranges. You probably failed to hear (windows must have been rolled up) the unique and world-renowned jazz and blues of Chicago, St. Louis and New Orleans. Apparently, you did not stop to dine at any of the thousands of first class white-tablecloth restaurants to be found between the mountain ranges . . .

It's not a fact, but it is an expression of your witless and uninformed bigotry . . .
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 03:42 pm
Set, contrary to popular misbelief, juries are not composed from voter registrations.
Second, I say village idiots because of all the stupid lame a$$ rulings they have made. When you hear of a stupid fianacial award that is given and you say "what were they thinking" those are the village idiots.
Nobody can convince me that this kids first amendment rights were violated or that his civil rights were violated in any way shape or form.
Again, I will say, the principal was seriously stupid for suspending this kid.
0 Replies