Will the execution of Crips founder be a mistake?

snood

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 04:50 pm
You nimrods can't possibly be as dense as you are appearing here. You post a response to Williams' plea for clemency that was compiled and written by those very people who are deeply invested in seeing him executed - the DA's office. And you act as if this is some kind of objective dissertation on the facts about this case.

Why should any reasonable person try to talk to you about this? You demonstrate very painfully clearly how dangerous is contempt before investigation.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 05:03 pm
Snood:

I'm not a "nimrod." I won't ignore the abundance of evidence that proved Williams's guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. I don't have my head buried in the sand like you. You haven't demonstrated that you're a "reasonable person" because you're the one who refuses to open his eyes and see the facts. I'm not joining your attempts to glorify this monster.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 05:26 pm
Debra_Law
No amount of evidence will convince snood that Tookie was not framed and railroaded. I suppose he also believes that OJ was an innocent victim of police corruption.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 06:41 pm
Nimrod is a nice word for you. You entered this thread with a made-up mind about what should happen to Williams, and have done nothing but try to support your prejudgement. Williams is not OJ, and that was a consistently ignorant statement.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 07:11 pm
I have not finished reading the whole link, but, so far, Snood is correct in that these are the people with a stake in proving themselves right. I will want to see how the defense lawyers came by their statements also, if possible.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 08:49 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
Curtis Sleawa, I believe. I thought his intentions were good, but not the thing to do.

Right, Edgar. Sleawa, not Silva, as I said above.

(just for the record, its Sliwa...)
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 12:07 am
snood wrote:
You post some Daily News story about an unrelated case to make your thickheaded point - again - Tookie Williams should die. You still give no indication you know anything about the facts surrounding the particular case in question. There is no sound reason for anyone to take anything you say on this matter seriously.

You keep telling everybody that they don't know what the facts are, yet I don't see you presenting and hard facts either.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 08:13 am
Snood
Rather than having the thread locked I will not use the "nice word" I have for you. Or what I think that drives you. However, you can and no doubt will continue to believe that Tookie is innocent and all the law enforcement agencies, courts and juries were wrong and you in your infinite wisdom are correct. no sense continuing the discussion. It is now in the hands of Arnold .
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 11:25 am
I've never once in this thread said I think he's innocent. I simply don't know. All I've been doing is expressing my opinion that the man should be spared, because it makes more sense than killing him.

As for some relevant "Facts":

The main evidence against Stan was the testimony of jailhouse informants who claimed that he had confessed to them. All of these "witnesses" were facing serious felony charges and had strong motivations to make a deal with the police to reduce their own sentences. In its 2002 ruling, the Ninth Circuit admitted that these informants had "less-than-clean backgrounds and incentives to lie in order to obtain leniency from the state in either charging or sentencing."

Since the original trial, another prisoner has come forward to say that he witnessed one of the informants being given the file on Stan's case by members of the Sheriff's Department so that he could learn details about the murders.

None of the physical evidence found at the two crime scenes, including fingerprints and a boot print, matched Stan. A witnesses description of a person seen leaving the scene of one of the crimes did not fit him either. A shotgun shell supposedly matched a weapon he had bought several years earlier, but that gun was in the possession of a couple that was also facing serious felony charges. After they claimed that Stan had confessed to them, however, the investigation against them was dropped.

To get the charges to stick, the prosecutor in the case, Robert Martin, used blatant racism. He often referred to Williams as an "animal" and his neighborhood as "the jungle". The trial was moved from Los Angeles to Torrance, a predominantly white, highly conservative area.
Martin was later censured twice by the California Supreme Court for his racist practices, which led to death sentences in two of the cases he prosecuted being overturned. The ACLU, the NAACP, the Mexican American Legal Defense & Educational Fund and numerous other groups, filed an amicus brief on Stan's behalf, because of Martin's racist practices.

Besides all this, it just makes no sense to kill someone who can help so many people if kept alive in prison. His death would amount to no more than revenge. If you nimrods want to kill him, why don't you just admit that, instead of trying to come off like you're repreesenting some high cause.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 11:45 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
Fedral wrote:By his silence, he is refusing to accept responsibility for his actions and their consequences.

What silence? He has consistently denied his guilt in those slayings.

Then it's troubling to read this (from an article a couple of pages ago):

Quote:
Arguments have been made by his attorney's that he was brain damaged and not capable of knowing right from wrong at the time of the crime. They said he was too high at the time to know what he was doing.

That seems to contradict his denials of guilt.

Another disturbing comment is one he made to Rita Cosby on MSNBC Monday night. He said he was convicted by an "all-white" jury. From facts I've read, that's not true, so I have to wonder why he'd lie about it.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 07:30 am
I don't understand how anyone can assert there is no "credible evidence" that Tookie committed those murders. A review of L.A. DA Steve Cooley's reply to Tookie's request for clemancy should assuage those concerns.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 09:02 pm
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 09:17 pm
I understand you are against the death penalty, snood ... and of course I am in favor of it. But you make a point about the percentage of death penalty case victims that are white as disproportionate to other races. I'm not here to question those statistics, but question the import of those statistics vis a vis the issue of the death penalty.

I completely agree that the justice system ought to be color blind, and there should not be a higher value placed on white capital crime victims over black victims. We have common ground there. The key question for the prosecutor ought to be whether the facts and circumstances of the crime warrant seeking the death penalty, and that should not be based on the color of the victim.

But in your view, how does the race of the victim impact the inmate on death row? Assuming the crime is such that the death penalty is available under the law ... why do you think the fact that the victim is probably white support your argument that the death penalty is not an appropriate sanction?

You say it's an "inequitable and unjust application of the death penalty." But that only makes sense to me if you are in favor of the death penalty. After all, you appear to be suggesting that there ought to be twice as many inmates on death row -- all those who killed black victims and should have received the death penalty. I agree with you ... but again, that doesn't offer strong support for your argument against the death penalty.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 09:24 pm
snood wrote:

Quote:
There is no good reason not to let this man continue his work in prison. If he can help some kids navigate their way clear of gangs, to me, that's reason enough.

Exactly.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 09:26 pm
I oppose the death penalty on several grounds, not the least of which is that it is applied inequitably.

The stats show that killing a white person is more likely to get you executed than killing a black person - that supports my opposition on the grounds of inequitable application. Clear it up at all?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 09:28 pm
snood wrote:
I oppose the death penalty on several grounds, not the least of which is that it is applied inequitably.

The stats show that killing a white person is more likely to get you executed than killing a black person - that supports my opposition on the grounds of inequitable application. Clear it up at all?

Not at all.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 09:37 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
snood wrote:

Not at all.

What don't you understnad? The system is biased - that's one of the reasons I oppose the death penalty.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 09:54 pm
snood wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
snood wrote:

Not at all.

What don't you understnad? The system is biased - that's one of the reasons I oppose the death penalty.

Biased against the victims?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 10:24 pm
No, Ticoyama.

The odds are that a black man will be punished more harshly than a white man, and a poor man more harshly than a rich one.

The odds are that one will be punished more harshly for murdering a white man than for murdering a black man.

This demonstrates to me that the system values white life above black life.

And if you want to continue to act as if that is somehow an elusive point to you, I guess I can play along - but only a little while.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 10:26 pm
Women can't get executed at all, it seems.
0 Replies