Will the execution of Crips founder be a mistake?

snood

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 10:41 pm
Well, the appeal for a 'stay' was denied, and it looks as if he will be executed on schedule. May God have mercy on his soul.

I hope there aren't any violent riots, and I also hope I can be spared the gloating of those who are convinced his death is a good thing.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 11:05 pm
I can't say that I'm surprised or even dissapointed, but I do hope sincerely that nothing bad happens because of this, because it would be a shame!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 05:50 am
Arnold has yet to speak, but . . .
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 06:20 am
You can bet Tookie has killed far more people then he's ever been convicted of weather he's a murderer is not really the point.

The point is do we spare the life of a murderer that has been truly redeemed. A higher law will spare him if he is truly redeemed. The executioners might have something to worry about.

But it don't matter. They can't kill him now anyways they'll only make him a martyr.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 08:28 am
Did anybody see the plea by other gang members that promise to turn in a bunch of guns if the Gov spared Tookie? I saw just a short clip on the news and wanted more info.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 04:07 pm
9 children books doesn't make up for 4 lives.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 04:20 pm
Just for the sake of discussion, Finn - is there a circumstance when you could imagine paroling anyone convicted of murder - or put another way, is there a circumstance you could imagine yourself considering a murderer having paid his debt to society without being killed?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 04:23 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

and executing him does?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 04:24 pm
I realize you were asking Finn, but I'll tell you this much from my perspective, each case would have to be reviewed individually on its own facts and circumstances, but I would not imagine paroling anyone convicted of murder who did not show remorse for their actions. This makes it difficult for Tookie who refuses to admit he is guilty.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 04:26 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

and executing him does?

No, it doesn't. Neither does incarcerating him for life.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 04:28 pm
i'd opt for the latter anytime without hesitation.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 07:21 pm
Tico -- you say that killing him does not make up for four lost lives. Neither does lifetime incarceration, you say. Then what does? And, further, if nothing is gained by the execution, then why perform it?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 09:15 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
Tico -- you say that killing him does not make up for four lost lives. Neither does lifetime incarceration, you say. Then what does? And, further, if nothing is gained by the execution, then why perform it?

I didn't say nothing was gained by the execution. I simply said it doesn't make up for the lives he took. And nothing will.

It is my opinion that retributive considerations govern the punishment of criminals, and I also believe that the principle of proportionality between punishment and offense supports the death penalty under certain circumstances. Capital murderers ought to be punished as they deserve -- that is the essence of justice: treating a person according to how they act.

----

The ultimate justification of any punishment is not that it is a deterrent, but that it is the emphatic denunciation by the community of a crime: and from this point of view, there are some murders which, in the present state of public opinion, demand the most emphatic denunciation of all, namely the death penalty. -- Lord Denning
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 10:02 pm
me too, dag...

I certainly hope no one says this is a happy day.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 10:18 pm
There will be no stay.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 01:03 am
I think their making a big mistake in every way. I think people will live to regret this. Especially if he is executed maintaining his innocence which I think he will.

Information will come out after his death that will put focus on why their wasn't a stay thus Supporting the argument against capital punishment, painting an even worse picture for the Conservatives as callous and blood thirsty alienating them farther from a larger group of people.

I think their desperate for a victory and revenge for the way things have been going for them and this is just another mistake. It's sad.

Tookies hasty execution will spark empathy with the people that will start a movement.
0 Replies

tookieoverarnold

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 01:59 am
okay i've seen somebody post "the cops should just shoot all looters on site" ... what makes you think the crips aren't thinking to shoot police officers on site ??? man, i honestly think their will be rioting, but not just idiotoc rioting, yet riopting against the authorities which ARNOLD governs, i.e. the police, congress people, public buildings, etc...
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 10:51 am
Well that's one less slime ball in the prison system that our tax dollars have to support. What gets me is why it took over 25 years? I can't believe people are actually crying over this guy. They never cried over his victims. People are really morons. No, the police shouldn't shoot any looters on site, but she shop and home owners definitely should! And any looters definitely deserve to get the crap beat out of them by the hands of the police.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 12:24 pm
Amigo wrote:
I think their desperate for a victory and revenge for the way things have been going for them and this is just another mistake. It's sad.

Tookies hasty execution will spark empathy with the people that will start a movement.

Get a grip. This has been 24 years coming. Hardly "hasty."
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 01:03 pm
There already is a movement, Amigo. That's why there was any debate at all.
0 Replies